I can’t believe I forgot to post about this.

The other day – Tuesday maybe? I have no idea…the days blur together a lot around here – I downloaded a Higdon marathon training app to my phone because that’s how I’m doing it this time around. I was so excited about the app that I posted a picture of it on Instagram.

This picture was from the other day so now it's more like 173 days.

This picture was from the other day so now it’s more like 173 days.

And then Sue asked me which marathon I was talking about and I was all…oh wow I registered for a marathon and didn’t even write about it. Blog fail.

Anyway, I’m pleased to announce that I’m running the

NEW JERSEY MARATHON!

2010 Logo_New Jersey Marathon

giphy

I knew I wanted to/had to defer Dopey this year, but since things have been going a little more smoothly training-wise lately I didn’t want to miss out on a big spring race. I started looking around for a March/April marathon that wasn’t an enormous hike from where I live. Just like last year I was annoyed at the whole lot of nothing I found. The lack of spring marathons around here is what landed me on Potts last year; I’m obviously thrilled with my decision, but still it was made without a lot of options in mind.

I whittled the small handful of candidates down to two: Jersey and Shamrock in Virginia Beach (late March). Then decided to forego Shamrock because I don’t want to worry about a 22 miler the weekend of my daughter’s birthday party and also I’ve heard that race is really windy and I’m a great big wuss when it comes to wind. I would rather run a marathon in a hail storm.

I’ve heard Jersey is lovely in late April.

My Christmas present to myself this year will be the start of marathon training on December 22. I’m excited, nervous, and really, really hoping I can find some kind of way to shave 10 minutes off of my previous time. Many of my favorite blogs have me hopeful that this kind of thing is possible since I’ve been reading about fantastic fall PRs all over the place (you guys are amazing!). My biggest challenge in all of this I think is DON’T GET INJURED AGAIN.

Enough of the injuries.

So that’s what’s happening. JERSEY OR BUST!!

Do you  have a spring goal race picked out yet? Which one!?

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Happy Friday!

72 thoughts on “I can’t believe I forgot to post about this.

Haha, sorry I called you out! Shamrock was windy last year, but I didn’t think it was terrible. Crap, that means my marathon training has to start soon too because mine is 2 weeks before yours! AHHH!!

Totally okay!! I forgot that I hadn’t really mentioned it. You’re doing Shamrock!? Now I kind of wish I was too!! It was just cutting it so close with birthdays and stuff. 🙂

2. KelsieLou says:

I hear you Salt…my goals have changed from meeting time requirements to being injury free! No matter how many, or how fast a race we run….it can’t be done with out injury.

Injuries are always my biggest obstacle!! I think I am going to pass on a spring marathon next year since my fall marathon this year is so late. But the NJ marathon sounds like a great one! I can’t believe its almost time for people to start training for spring marathons!

I can’t believe it either. I was just talking to my coworker earlier today about how omg this weekend will be mid-November! I am loving these cool temps we’ve been having though! So much easier to run in 30 degrees vs 90!

4. Piper's Run says:

Yeah for you!!!
    I have a spring race picked out as I won it at an auction! Saved myself $30-$40! I can do any distance so I’m picking the Half May 17th Bluenose Marathon in Halifax, NS. Have a great weekend!

What?! My husband Rock was searching for a revenge marathon after he got injured at Chicago We decided on this one because we will be in NYC for the spring and this works perfectly. So I get to cheer you both on?! My day has just been made.

6. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

I have all the confidence in the world that you can shave 10 mins off your time (even though your 1st time was INCREDIBLE!) I haven’t really thought much about my 2015 race plan…I should probably give it some thought soon! 🙂

Awwwww boooo I’m sorry I will miss you! We definitely need to catch up at a race one of these days! That’s awesome you’re running it though and good luck with your training! 🙂

7. Amy says:

Woo! Hop! I’ve heard great things about the New Jersey marathon! You will rock 26.2! Just be mindful w/your training! Bummed I won’t see you at Dopey Challenge or Shamrock marathon! This Spring, I’m also running Charlottesville marathon (won a free entry!), Big Sur marathon & (gulp), Umstead 100! My Spring is a bit nutty.

WOAH that schedule ROCKS!!!! I’m excited to read about your adventures. 🙂 I’m sad about Dopey, but it’s okay…it will be there in 2016 and I would rather go into it really prepared.

8. Corinne says:

I plan on doing more than one race of any kind in 2015! I have my eyes on doing the Pro Football Hall of Fame half marathon at the end of April and would like to find a couple 5 or 10k races to do as well, leading up to the Columbus half again next October. Cbus is one race I will do again and again to keep getting my time down!

One day I will run Columbus. I have a special place in my heart for that marathon since it was the one that was going on in the backdrop of my engagement pics. 🙂 A Pro Football Hall of Fame half sounds like so much fun!

I’m trying to figure out which marathon to take on. Also how to get through winter training. Please tell me that you are going to wear a polyester button down and all the neon.

Well I hear Jersey is lovely if you want to join me. 🙂
      I’m thinking the poly button down would be the perfect throwaway since I’m sure it will be chilly in the morning. If I can ever bear to part with it.

Woohoo! I don’t have a goal race for 2015 per se, but I am saving up to do Wine and Dine in WDW in November 😀 Probably not a PR race, but it will be my first racecation and first runDisney event!

So I haven’t run the full marathon, but I have run the NJ half marathon twice and I’m signed up for it this year too! It’s my absolute FAVORITE half marathon! Both times I’ve run it I PR’d by alot and I’ve considered doing the full, but I just love the half so much and can’t give it up. Anyways, it’s a great course and I hope you love it. Maybe I’ll get to cheer you on after I finish the half 😀

I LOVE hearing this!!! Thank you so much for the wonderful report. Now I’m even more excited. 🙂 I’ll be up there running on my own most likely so it would be so awesome to have friends cheer me on! You’re so sweet! 🙂

12. FLRunnerBoy says:

Wishing nothing but the best in you upcoming training Salt!!! I do not have an official spring goal race since Gasparilla is technically at the very tail end of winter but is one of my goal races for the year.

Awww, bummer. I didn’t know you had pulled out of Dopey (ha, that sounded better in my head). Dang. Hmmm. I don’t believe they let you defer. Can you still go and do the shorter races and let others do the longer ones?
    Anyway, good luck at Jersey! I love Hal Higdon plans! Cool about the app!

Ugh I know…totally lame, but it had to happen. Luckily I am able to defer. I had to pay for it ($45 which in hindsight is NBD), but my registration should transfer right over to 2016 (it just has to be a lateral deferral).

And thank you much! I’m hearing all over the place now that Jersey is awesome and I’m getting more and more excited!

14. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

Yay! This was my first marathon and my BQ, so I have nothing but good things to say about it! I don’t think I’ll be doing a full marathon this spring, but probably 2 half marathons. I was thinking of doing this half since I had a good experience with the full. We’ll see!

Watch out Jersey – Salt’s a comin’! My wish for you is all the injury free runs! I signed up for the King Crab in 2015, so I’ve got the Frederick Half Marathon in May.
    Bless your heart girl – this cold weather has put a damper on my running – I don’t know how you can get out there in December.

Jersey isn’t going to know what hit it. (Haha what?)
      I really want to do the MD Double this year so I’m considering Frederick…even though it’s like 5 minutes after Jersey, but maybe I could just walk a lot. We shall see.

Honestly, stick with the cold weather runs. I think you might end up loving them. I MUCH prefer to train in the cold over 100 degrees. (I’m realizing it more now than ever before.)

16. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

This is so exciting!! My spring goal half-marathon is the Plattsburgh Half Marathon. It’s an easy course and I run on it every day so I know I can get a big PR. I’m also looking at running the Vermont City Marathon in late May if I can stay healthy through training!

Ooo that’s awesome! I love guaranteed PRs. 🙂
      I have heard some wonderful things about Vermont! I hope you’ll be able to run it! (Seriously let’s not get injured…okay??)

Already in the plans. 🙂
      Honestly I’m kind of glad I’m not racing in January this year. My holidays are already going to be insane enough without piling on all those miles! The beginning of training will be so easy and just enough to burn off all the cookies I intend to eat.

17. Half Mad Runner says:

I’ll be really interested for you to do a review of the app you’re using. I’m thinking about possibly, maybe, thinking about training for my first full at the end of March and was considering that app. Keep us updated on how you like it.

Best of luck with training and in New Jersey.

I will definitely let you know! It hasn’t done anything yet since it’s still in countdown mode to the start of the training, but I’m curious to see how it will keep me on track. Thank you, lady! 🙂

Yay! That’s exciting! I’m so happy that your training is going well, I know it was rough with your injury for a while. I haven’t picked a spring race yet. I’m thinking about shifting my focus to shorter stuff in the spring…we’ll see how far out of my comfort zone I’m willing to get haha

I have such a love of shorter races. 🙂 The injury stunk, but it has been fun taking it a bit easier this fall and running those couple halves but also focusing on the shorter races (10K/5K). You know you could always come to Baltimore and run a race! 😀

You better believe there will be some fist pumping while I’m up there.
      I really hope I can make that time happen. If I stay well I will be able to prepare a lot more thoroughly than I was able to this year (due to stupid tendon issues). I just need to take care of myself. 🙂 Thank you, friend!

19. runawaybridalplanner says:

How exciting!!! Gotta love when you treat yourself to an upcoming marathon!!!
    I have been working on my spring list as well, and funny thing this is actually one on my “maybe” list. I plan on firming it all by by January, but I have a list of 3-4 marathons I”d like to do this spring and Jersey is one near the top of the list, so we’ll see:)
    I am sure you’ll get that goal time! I hear it’s a super flat course, so if you like those then you’ll probably take off that 10 minutes for sure!

Well I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you decide to do it then! If you do, we definitely have to meet up! I am on the fence when it comes to flat, but my recent half PR was on a more flat course so I’m hoping that will bode well for the marathon too. 🙂 Thanks, lady!

20. Elizabeth says:

I don’t have a race picked out yet but I’m in the process of picking my first half marathon. There are so many to choose from I’m overwhelmed haha!

That marathon sounds like a lot of fun good luck with your training!

21. nevie b. says:

go girl! that jersey shore gif made me LOL for real. i was considering shamrock half, to fit into my spring goal race schedule, but not sure yet – my spring goal race is the country music marathon, if i can heal from this injury in enough time to get started and if i can manage to stay healthy and injury-free during training this time around. but it’s also in late april, so hellooooo spring marathon training 🙂

22. theAccidentalCelt says:

Good on you! That DOES sound exciting. Question: What would you recommend for a terribly out of shape girl as a beginning running training program. I want to get my bum in shape for multiple reasons but the most important one being that I want to be healthy again. 🙂

Hey Karen! I would definitely recommend the Couch to 5k program. It starts off with run/walk intervals and everyone I know who has done it raves about it! Once you complete the program they have more advanced versions/distances as well!