Now THAT’S what I call the 90’s!

When it comes to the Internet, things are getting a little exciting in Charm City! For the past six years the Baltimore Sun – aka the only hometown newspaper that really matters around here – has hosted the Mobbie Awards which recognize excellent blogs and various forms of social media such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

The Mobbies are quirky and fun and when all is said and done there is a great big party that I hope to get a chance to attend. It would be even cooler if I were attending as a winner of something. I actually have a chance to do just that because I’ve been nominated for THREE AWARDS!

More on that in a minute though.

The theme of the Mobbies this year is none other than what I think would be one of my favorite decades if I could remember it more clearly…the 1990s. The 90’s were my high school and college years hence why I’m a little fuzzy on some of the details. The blogger challenge this year is to write a post or somehow otherwise broadcast one thing from the 90’s that I wish I could bring back.

This is tricky because in a lot of ways I feel like a lot of popular things from the 90’s have either resurfaced or never left. NKOTB reunited; I never liked them, but I feel like I know an excessive amount of women in their 30’s who have seen them in concert recently. Plenty of people still wear baseball caps backward. As a runner I have an exorbitant amount of neon in my wardrobe. Lots of classic 90’s toys have been revived too. One day maybe I’ll get out of Target without Betty bugging me for that creepy Puppy Surprise.

I had to do some digging and dig I did…through a vault of embarrassing photos from my past and found the perfect answer to this intriguing question.

37346_1144630832285_1460298_n

Never mind the fact that my hair is a particularly unnatural shade of blonde or that I’m randomly holding someone’s boa constrictor. The point here is OVERALLS. Hell yeah. That’s what I would bring back. And I don’t mean for farmers or toddlers because in both of those cases they are still socially acceptable.

I remember the night this photo was taken well. I was 18 years old here and I actually got asked out on a DATE. By a CUTE GUY. It wasn’t even Halloween and he thought I looked hot dressed like this. Could you imagine if I walked into a bar wearing those overalls now? I can assure you it would result in exactly zero date requests. (Unless maybe it was a bar in rural Idaho.)

They were unflattering and downright awkward, but dammit I loved my overalls. I know the vast majority of you will disagree with me, but I say bring ’em back. And if we’ve reached max capacity for terrible clothing items, I say we throw back the adult sized zip up onesies that I saw in Walmart the other day. Speaking of things that should only be worn by toddlers.

Did you ever have a pair of overalls? What bad 90’s fashion fad would YOU bring back??

So back to this whole nomination thing…as I said I am up for THREE awards!

Best Label Defying Blog: This makes sense to me because while I run and blog primarily about running, I also talk about other things like Betty, and stuff that goes on in my life that isn’t related to running, and toilet seats that glow in the dark.

Best Health/Wellness Blog: I’m not going to lie…I’m pretty flattered. I also know a couple of the other nominees in this category and they are really great blogs so to be thought of in the same capacity as them is really an honor in itself.

Best Instagram Account: I know and follow a lot of these and there are some AWESOME accounts on there. Stiff competition!

The voting starts today at 9am and if you feel so inclined to give me a little boost, I would love you forever. Thank you all so much for reading my blog and hopefully still wanting to be friends with me after seeing that ridiculous picture that I just posted.

Some guy was just walking around with that snake. What a weird night that was. Ohhh the 90’s.

39 thoughts on “Now THAT’S what I call the 90’s!

1. samantha couch says:

oh, the 90s! i don’t know what i would bring back. i was in middle school/high school – i graduated in ’99. i have some seriously embarassing pictures but i agree, overalls were THE most comfy item ever, and guys DID think we looked hot in them. how hilarious is that? is there a link where we can go to vote for you? best of luck!

2. Mandi says:

Ahh! Overalls were the best. I just bought a pair for Myles over the weekend (which falls into the socially acceptable for toddlers -clause) and I have to say, I was a little jealous haha. Did you wear them with the one strap hooked and the other hanging loose? I remember that was a THING when I was in grade school, and my mother would YELL at me about it. “You look like you’re getting undressed!” So of course I wore them hooked till I got to school, then unhooked one. (Duh.)

3. JessD says:

I rocked a pair of dark green corduroy overalls in middle school…horribly unstylish, but so darn comfortable. However, I did see overalls in the women’s clothing section at Target last week, so they may just be making a comeback, at least in Minnesota!

4. Piper's Run says:

I totally had a pair of overalls and thought I rocked them too! Bad 90’s fashion that seems to be back is plaid – plaid shirts. Yeah, I rocked those too!
    Congrats on the nominations!

I had overalls, short alls, and floral short alls. And skorts. And leggings (stirrup pants as well). And limited too.
    You so deserve the noms. (food and nominations). And you know it ;D

6. Shawna says:

overalls are entirely back this year, at least in NYC, and my best friend just bought an adorable pair at Urban that she never takes off. they’ve been resurrected, so go get yourself a pair and you’re entirely on trend. hmmm what would i bring back…i never stopped wearing backwards caps or Chuck Taylors, so i guess those count? congrats on the nods, lady!

7. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Yay, congrats on all the nominations (not that I am shocked!!) And I just can’t agree with you on overalls, I never got into them, I am too short and they just always looked awkward on me–but I say if you want to revive them, by all means, do it and have fun! What about hypercolor shirts? That was the 90s right? I seriously loved those ridiculous shirts when I was younger!

First congrats on the nominations – well deserved, as you are a blast of a runner/mom/whatever mashup! 🙂

Love that pic! I can’t think of too much from the 90s specifically … of course, I have work ‘preppie clothes’ for … um, pretty much my whole life now.

I do find it interesting the things that do come back compared to what doesn’t, and also how it comes back and what people think. I look at the Goldbergs TV show as a great example – it has 80s stuff all over it, but it is like they took a bunch of random references and threw them together without concern for how many years apart they were in reality (like something from 1982 and 1989 together?!? WTF?!?)

Good luck on the noms 🙂

I miss overalls too! I had a several pairs, including some jean short overalls (I know, righ!) and some great, comfy corduroy ones. They are unflattering as hell, but I do love them. I also sort of miss grunge–the Timbs, oversize shirts, baggy jeans and flannel… Ah, the good old days.

10. emmelineruns says:

They totally brought overalls back already! There are tons of high fashion ones and most denim companies make them now too 🙂 I was thrilled, I freaking loved my overalls and wore them all the damn time in high school.

You are so awesome. Congrats and so excited that you were recognized. Love the overalls. I had a pair and wore them with just one side buckled. Yeah super cool. How embarrassing! That snake freaks me out but truly completes the awesomeness of that pic. Congrats!

12. Rebecca Jo says:

that’s so funny because my husband found my old overalls & asked if I wanted to keep them. I reminded him I’m a 42 yr old woman. They had Tweety Bird on them… I think not. 🙂

Congrats on the nominations, that’s awesome! I definitely had a pair of overalls in the nineties and I thought they were the coolest thing ever. I’m not sure why. I look back and cringe. It might be best if that stays in the nineties 🙂

YES. BRING BACK THE OVERALLS. No kidding, I wore those to school every.single.day. So comfy. Heck, I still buy jean jackets and I was told it’s a big no no to wear jeans and a jean jackets. Whoops. 🙂 Congrats on the nominations!

15. Corinne says:

While I enjoyed wearing overalls, I think I’d prefer to bring back shortalls. I had regular denim shortalls as well as a plaid pair AND a floral pair. Wearing the denim ones with black tights, thick socks, my Docs, and a HUGE flannel button down always put me in a good mood too, which was so very rare for a sullen teenager.

16. Run Colby Run says:

First things first! CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a fantastic honor! My fingers are crossed!! 🙂 And second, I almost thought you were going to say “Bring back the boa constrictor around the neck at a carnival” because in my town in the 1990s WE HAD BOA CONSTRICTOR GUY! Then I read on and realized you were talking about overalls. I used to ROCK the overall. Had ’em long. Had ’em in linen shorts-veralls. And {WAIT FOR IT} had CAPRI-VERALLS. Yes. The Gap made capri length overalls. I LIVED IN THOSE. If I could attach a picture I would. I just came across them recently. I’d bring ’em back! 🙂

17. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Ok so let’s just ignore the icky snake and discuss the overalls. At first glance I was thinking you might be trying to pull a Britney Spears but I think her snake moment until th 00’s. I love your overalls for real and would bring them back in a heart beat if I wasn’t worried people would think I was crazy. Congrats on your nominations! I’m really happy for you!

18. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! says:

Overalls were the BEST I rocked them a lot back in the late 90’s and early 00’s. Id’ have to say I am currently rocking a lot of what I wore in HS lately with all the 90’s styles coming back… flannel, combat boots, ripped tshirts… I just wish I had a lot of my OG items of clothing, then again I bet NONE of it would fit. You have and always will be adorable girl!

CONGRATS ON ALL THE NOMINATIONS!!!!

19. FLRunnerBoy says:

Congrats on the nominations Salt!!! You’re so deserving. And overalls oh yeah!!! And don’t forget only one shoulder strap clipped and the other undone lol 😉

20. themilereport says:

congrats on the noms!

I was born in 1990, so the 90s is my childhood. (aka overalls were NOT cool when I was in high school lol).
    I would bring back a bunch of TV shows—Rugrats, Doug, and Recess. As well as eraser collections, those MCDonalds Hallween nugget toys, and the idea of passing notes.

21. Alan says:

This might sound different, but I think that overalls still look great on women today! It is a shame that more girls do not wear them. Let’s try to bring them back!

22. alsoranagain says:

Congratulations on those nominations, all well-deserved!

I can think of any single 90s clothing item/accessory I would bring back, because I remember how I looked in them (e.g., Doc Martens, oversized flannel shirts, turtlenecks, mock-turtlenecks, Gap jeans). But I do kind of wish that the modesty that existed in the 90s was around today. Not to get all prudish, but when I was in college I dressed like I was going to chop wood right after class. As did the majority of the young women at my university of over 35,000 students. I think my desire to bring back that aspect of the 90s has more to do with the fact that I have a tween daughter for whom I plan never to buy hot pants or other current styles.

23. Amy says:

Way to go! These are some awesome nominations. I’m also pretty glad they resulted in that photo showing up here…haha! I definitely had a pair of white overall shorts that I loved, and don’t really want back! 🙂

24. Change of Pace says:

Huge congrats on the THREE nominations! I will definitely go vote.
    Ooh- I loved my overalls…done up all the way was more comforatable than the one shoulder undone, but that was a style in itself 🙂
    I can’t even recognize you in that photo!

Congrats! Well deserved on all nominations!! Fingers crossed for you! Umm, ok, as for the overalls…what are you nuts? Hell no…keep those things in the 90’s! And I can’t believe you weren’t an NKOTB fan?! Maybe i was because I lived in Boston, so you kind of had to be a fan 🙂