It.

Last year I loved running during the holidays. It was so peaceful looking at everyone’s lights and decorations in the very early morning when it seemed like the rest of the world was still asleep. Christmas was the first holiday that I got to do that; in October when Halloween was approaching I was still doing most of my runs on my lunch breaks. Since then I have become the early rising runner that I never thought I would be so when I went out for 10K in my neighborhood this morning there were all sorts of fun Halloween things to look at.

And then there was this.

photo

At first I didn’t even see it as I cruised by on the sidewalk. The spotlight that this particular homeowner set up caught my eye and when I turned my head a scream stuck in my throat. I’m not one of those people that are deathly afraid of clowns or anything, but it was incredibly dark on a road with no streetlamps and no people because it was only about 5:30. It was a little unnerving to say the least. I stopped to take this picture and was going to Instagram it right there (because I am an insta-dork), but then the clown’s eyes were making me really uncomfortable so I decided to wait until I got home. I love Halloween and horror movies, but it was really more realistic and terrifying than it needed to be. As I ran away, I pictured it tagging after me with a chainsaw. Hooray for new nightmare fuel!

I think I’ll avoid taking Betty past that house on Friday. She would never sleep again.

Seen any fun, scary decorations in your neighborhoods lately? How do you feel about clowns? Are you dressing up this year!? (Betty’s costume turned out better than I ever expected!)

52 thoughts on “It.

I’m with you! It’s been sooo dark on my morning runs and the halloween decorations have caught me off guard a few times. What’s more scary is when I get to the park and I see a figure walking off in the distance. Who goes to a park at 6 am when it’s dark out if they’re not running??? Crazy!

CREEPY PEOPLE. That’s who. We have someone around here kind of like that. I wish I could say that they were walking for fitness, but I don’t know if I really believe that.

I AM one of those people who’s terrified of clowns anyway, and that sh*t is what nightmares are made of. I would have been scared to turn my back to it and run away!

Yeah up here in the suburbs people like to get a little crazy with their yards. Most of the houses I run by just have a lot of lights and cobwebs. This was obviously the worst of the bunch but there was one other creepy one down the street from this house. I think I’ll avoid trick or treating in that particular neighborhood.

That IS scary! And yeah, I’m not one to be easily scared and I love scary movies, but that thing would definitely creep me out. It was light out by the time I ran today, but my neighbors go all out for Halloween so they have a ton of stuff already set up in their front yard, with probably more stuff to come on Friday, but this morning there was a black cat haha thankfully we didn’t cross paths as I was headed the other direction, not too scary, but it was kinda creepy having him just staring at me while i was waiting for my Garmin to locate the satellites.

Haha I love black cats! I have one and he crosses my path every day. 🙂
      Actually there were some deer on the side of the road during my run this morning that scared me a little too because I didn’t notice them at first, but the clown was way WAY worse.

4. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! says:

Clowns don’t normally freak me out but that totally would have made me pee myself. I bet you anything that Betty might walk by it and wave and say “Hi Clown!” and keep on trucking. Kids seem so cool when it comes to stuff that worried us to death as kids.

Dressing up, yes, As a Ghostbuster – well, Mike’s Side Kick – he’s going FULL ON GHOSTBUSTER… I’m just wearing the suit 🙂 ENJOY YOUR SPOOKY WEEKEND! ox

Remember sparkle purse busters?? 🙂
      And she absolutely would. She was that way with this horrifying ghost decoration that we put up at my aunt’s house last night. We were leaving and she goes “Bye, Dr. Skeleton!!”

5. themilereport says:

that is so creepy! my favorite decoration (this is so morbid) is in the front yard of a house a few miles away at christmas time. they dangle a lighted reindeer, upside down, from a tree with a red strand of lights hanging from it to the ground. for the longest time, I thought it accidently fell out of the tree (every year)

6. Running Betty says:

Omg! I am terrified of clowns to begin with! I think this would have made me scream out loud and pee my pants! Lol I haven’t seen any creepy halloween decorations on my runs yet and hope I don’t come across anything like this!!

Yeah that is pretty creepy and would definitely get me too. Although I do really appreciate the clowns. We have a lake house in Michigan on “Bear Lake.” It had been over a year since we had been up there this past summer and while I was out on a run I kept thinking I was seeing bears and freaking out. It was just people’s stupid lawn ornaments of bears. It was pretty funny and about the jumpiest run I have ever had!

8. Courtney H says:

Not scared of clowns unless it is the clown from IT. I had nightmares, was scared to go to the bathroom alone and don’t look at sewers the same way anymore…25 years later. Geez, that movie freaks me out along with all the other horror films. I can’t even watch them in the sunshine and rainbows and unicorns.

Um this is TERRIFYING. I would never run past that house again! I’m not a big fan of scary halloween stuff. Although I’m dressing up for work on Friday and I chose to dress up as something totally terrifying to me personally. I’ll make sure to put it on my blog so you can check out what my nightmares are made of 🙂

10. Amy says:

Hahahaa….that is awesome! It would probably scare me silly if I saw it while running alone in the dark, but that would make it even more fun!

11. irishrunnerchick says:

Creepy! I am the biggest scaredy-cat and this would freak me out. On my route to work I pass a house that has a zombie dummy covered in blood that looks like it’s crawling out of the ground. I know it’s there but it still startles me every single morning!

Ew nice!! When we went out trick or treating on Friday someone had something like that in their yard. Betty wouldn’t go near the house. I went and got the candy for her. 🙂