OMG. {As seen on my run.}

I love reading stories about funny or crazy things that people see while they are out on a run. I even have a couple to share of my own like the time I ran past a flock of vultures gathered around some large dead thing on the side of the road – and looking at me like I might be next – and the insane woman I encountered during another early Saturday morning long run. The vultures were amusing, if not a little ironic considering how much I was struggling at that point in my run.

The crazy lady…well she was the most disturbing thing I had ever come across until this morning.

I was planning to do 5 miles and my alarm was set for 6am. It went off and I thought about it for a minute before saying “NOPE!” and gave myself an extra half hour. I just didn’t have the energy yet and my bed was so comfy.

I was laying there half asleep when I heard sirens very close to my house. I wondered if they were coming into my neighborhood, but then figured they were probably just on the highway which is down the hill from where I live. I looked at the clock again and it was nearly 6:30. I almost threw in the towel completely and reset it for 7, but then I figured I might as well get the run out of the way early rather than struggle to fit it in later. I got up, dressed quickly, and headed outside.

Everything started off as my new normal with a slow first mile as I tried to get my foot loosened up. I ran past a lot of kids outside waiting for their buses to take them to school. Since when do kids go to school before 7am? Anyway, I was just about to get into my third mile and was trying to decide whether I wanted to tackle this one monster of a hill or bypass it when I saw some flashing police lights. I also noticed that the sidewalk up ahead appeared to be blocked by something large and dark right at the corner where a side street intersected with the road I was on. I couldn’t tell what it was, but I could tell that it was too big for me to get around. I checked for traffic and crossed over to run on the opposite shoulder.

I’m pretty blind when it comes to seeing things that are far away so it took me a few moments to get close enough to get an idea of what was going on. And even as I got close enough, my brain still didn’t believe what I was seeing. It was an accident.

miley_250

The massive dark thing that was blocking the sidewalk was a silver car up on its side and leaning against a telephone pole. I had been looking at the undercarriage of it before crossing the street. I can’t even begin to imagine what the driver had been doing in order to get the car into that position. Maybe trying to take that corner WAY too fast? There are a lot of deer around here and maybe they swerved to avoid one? Who knows. The top of the car was gone and I couldn’t tell if that was because it was a convertible or if they had to remove it to get someone out. The interior was a mess of shattered glass and metal and the airbags were deployed.

The nearby sirens I had heard after my alarm went off had to have been for this accident. Whoever had been involved in it had already been taken away and they were just waiting on the clean up crew. There was another police car parked next to the wreck and two officers were standing there chatting. One of them smiled at me.

As I ran by on the opposite side of the road I’m pretty sure my mouth was hanging wide open. I was kind of in shock thinking about the person or people who had been involved and hoping that they were okay. And then a chill went up my spine as I realized that if I had actually gotten up with my 6 o’clock alarm and went out for my run, I would have been right there when this happened or seen a much more gruesome scene than what I was looking at just then.

I finished up my run – where I did decide to tackle the big hill…I had a lot of weird pent-up energy after what I had just seen  – and before getting ready for work checked some online news to see if I could find any information on what had happened. I didn’t which I will take as a good sign. Usually the messiest accidents get reported right away and I can’t imagine a police officer would be smiling at random runners going by if something really tragic had just happened.

Still though…so uncool.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy day today!

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever seen while you were out on a run?

57 thoughts on “OMG. {As seen on my run.}

EW WTF. That is NOT okay!!!! ::barf::
      I’ve come across those too and of all places…on the playground where my kid was playing. We haven’t been back to that playground. Ruined forever.

My jaw dropped reading this. Ugh how scary. I have had a few crazy things happen. I had a pigeon fly into my head and I passed a guy as he swung his arm to show someone something and he backhanded my forehead. I once came upon a car accident and didn’t know this at the time but it was a fatality (young local high schooler). We once came upon a man who jumped in the East River and had to stop and help a rescue occur. Another time I came upon an older woman who was on the ground and asked me to help her up. As I held her hands and tried to pull her up she stopped me and said she changed her mind and could get up on her own. As she walked away I looked at my hands I saw they were covered in blood where she had rubbed her scraped knees. I was sooo disgusted. A girl on my running team this past weekend told an older woman she was doing an awesome job and the woman kept yelling at her and calling her a creep. My runner was so upset about this. Rock said it was awful and he was afraid our runner was going to cry. There are a lot of crazies out there!

Holy moly to ALL of these! Ughhhhhh I don’t know what I would have done if I had gotten someone’s blood all over me. And that’s so sad about the car accident. 😦 I feel so bad for the girl on your running team too! People can just be so awful. 😦

2. emmelineruns says:

I have debated about posting about mine one day, but honestly, I was a bit traumatized for weeks and I don’t know if I ever want to write a post about it… Last summer when I was living in a medium sized city, I quite literally tripped over a dead body coming around a turn in the road, didn’t see it coming. And didn’t have a phone to call police, etc. I ran home SO fast 😦

3. Lily says:

Jeez, these are some crazy stories. I’ve never seen anything that disturbing, but just weird stuff, like a lady covered head to toe in pigeons and stuff like that. Running around Europe I’ve seen some strange little things, but nothing stands out as being insane or anything.

4. greenmountainlife says:

Oh my goodness, I hope everyone was okay! I haven’t seen anything too crazy while I’ve been running but I once got back to my car after a run and saw a bunch of guys were beating this one guy up eventually pushing him down multiple flights of stairs of the parking garage. I was across the parking garage so they didn’t see me necessarily but immediately got in my car and drove away while calling the police. It was so freaky.

5. fitfoodiemama says:

Wow! That is just a terrible thing to see on your run the very first thing in the morning. I hope everyone was okay! I have seen some random things- but I live in the country so there isn’t much to look at. I do run by some random guy every now and then just plugging along with a back pack & he seems quite odd. I always wonder where he is headed!

6. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs says:

Oh I’m so glad you slept another half hour! This might sound kooky, but I really DO believe that a lot of time the Universe protects us from that kind of thing. Like, wanting to sleep more kept you from seeing something potentially awful.
    I also have TERRIBLE vision when something is far away. I mistake branches for animals all the time.

I’m glad too and I don’t think that sounds kooky at all. 🙂
      Haha your branches for animals story…that reminds me of when I was out on a run over Christmas and there was this white reindeer thing that someone had put in a little alcove of trees next to the sidewalk. I ran by it and it scared the living daylights out of me. I thought it was a person! I don’t see so good. 🙂

7. Corinne says:

I mostly do my runs on the trail by my house. Haven’t seen anything crazy at all! I’m sure eventually I’ll have a story or two to add. I wouldn’t have been able to keep going after realizing I was looking at an accident. I really hope everyone involved is okay!

I hope your trail runs remain blissfully crazy free. The weirdest thing I’ve ever encountered on the trail around here is a rooster. But it was kind of far away. Just really loud.

Yikes! Very glad you slept in a bit. I haven’t really seen anything too crazy on any of my runs–just run of the mill catcallers, homeless people and tourists. There’s always time I suppose…

Yeah, no bueno. By far the weirdest thing that I have encountered on a run was a two-seater plan on the shoulder of Lake Shore Drive between the Harbor and Millennium Park. Apparently it needed to make an emergency landing. Can. You. Imagine.

I’m so glad to have boring runs. Some of these stories are insane. The strangest is condom wrappers. And I really find them strange because “Why are you here? Were you tossed out a car window? Where your contents used on the other side of the guardrail? Why are you here on a residential street? Why?”

11. Run Colby Run says:

Two things immediately come to mind, but I know I have more. 1. An OWL swooped down almost skimming me and snatched a field mouse five feet in front of me IN A BLINK OF AN EYE. He flew away with that poor bastard dangling from his beak. Scared the snot out of me. 2. I was running along mindin’ my biz, and two little boys were riding bikes up ahead, laughing, goofing off- simply being kids. Two deer- one a buck with a big ass rack and his girl, literally ran across DIRECTLY in front of them. Shit. He could have run INTO them, I couldn’t tell. But that little kid screamed and fell right off his bike. Then they got up, high fived, screamed and laughed- DID YOU SEE THAT??? NO ONE WILL BELIEVE US! At this point I was right behind them, I said OH I DID! Which made the kids jump again. I still laugh when I think about them. It was awesome.

Chirst. A dead body?!?!?! I can’t even.

Wow sounds crazy. I hope everyone was ok. I have seen scenes with lots of police/fireman when Im out running but usually cant figure out whats going on. I always plan to try to find out when i get home but usually I forget or can’t find it.

13. runawaybridalplanner says:

What a crazy morning! Hopefully the driver/passengers are okay. Whenever I see unexplained accidents I just always assume these days texting while driving may have been involved.
    Craziest thing I saw, years ago I was with my dad getting in one of my long runs and we were running late and it was dark so he rode his bike with me on the trail so I wouldn’t be alone. We saw through the tree’s these two guys rapidly digging like crazy in the dark in the dirt with shovels, and a huge old metal garbage can next to them. I jokingly told my dad they are probably burying a body or something, my dad and I thought it best to mind our own business and I don’t think they saw us. I went by a few days later in the daylight and all I saw was a big mount of dirt where they were digging, hopefully they were just burying a family pet like a big dog or something… But I wasn’t going to go dig it up to find out.

14. FLRunnerBoy says:

Whoa Salt!!! I’m sooo glad you held off on your run and at the same time my heart breaks for the accident victim. Strange how timing or procrastination works in our favor at times. The strangest things seen by me on a run hmmmm. The yuckiest was this past November … a used condom … get a room people!!! Annnd the freakiest was when a gator crossed over the sidewalk I was running on about 25-30 yards in front of me. Fortunately it didnt see me and kept on moving. The freaky part was that this was just off of a main road. Not a near a lake or wooded area where one would think.

15. michelle says:

That’s scary, glad you weren’t there! That always freaks me out when you realize if you’d been on time you could have been in an accident. Or just think of how random life is. I’m freaked out by many things. . . I think I’ll just stay at home and wear a helmet.

16. Half Mad Runner says:

It wasn’t the craziest I’ve seen but I once misjudged the distance between myself and a police car that stopped at the stop sign and I may have clipped the bumper with my leg. Cops eyes got really big and he asked if I was ok. I think he wasn’t sure if I’d hit him or if he’d hit me.

17. Hannah S. says:

Glad you hit the snooze and only saw the aftermath of the accident instead of potentially being one of the people INVOLVED in the accident! I’ve had situations like that where I am complaining about being late for a run, or work, and then I see an accident or something like that and realize, God allowed me to be late for the run or work so that I would miss the accident!
    I understand how you felt about having weird additional energy after! It’s like your flight or fight response kicks in when you realize what could have happened if you’d been there sooner!
    Hoping everyone involved is ok!

Soo scary! I’m glad you’re ok though!!! That happened on a group run I was on a couple years ago. It was early – like 5:30am, and we were on our route when all these cop cars came screaming past us. A few minutes later we got to where they were going – a car had ran off the road, across the sidewalk, and through a brick wall! There was a lifeless woman they were working on. I didn’t think about it until now, but you’re right, if we had been a little earlier, she could’ve hit us. Like you, I checked the news, but never saw anything. Scary!

19. Rebecca Jo says:

I think stuff like that all the time – what if I was a few minutes earlier/later.. scary

I don’t see much ‘crazy’ on lonely country roads, but the cutest? A momma turkey with her 7 baby turkey babies following her… aahhhh…

Wow that’s crazy! I hope everyone was okay and I’m so glad you weren’t feeling waking up that early so that you were okay! I think the craziest thing I’ve seen/didn’t see too closely (thank goodness) was a body a few years ago a little less than a mile away from my house. I was up and out when it was still pretty dark out, and on my way home, I look to left before I’m about to turn right into my neighborhood, and there’s caution tape everywhere and a coroner’s van. I freaked out when I realized I ran right past it earlier. I never found out what happened, I just saw a news article afterwards to say they were trying to identify the person and cause. It was even more scary because it was right around the time there was a serial shooter going around so everyone was kind of already on edge. And I live by an area that has some gigantic houses (not mine ha), but it’s not like it’s a bad neighborhood or anything, but yeah it was a crazy couple of months!

21. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Wow that is really scary. First, I am glad you are safe. I hope the person in that car is too. I hate seeing really bad accidents, they just sit with me for a long time and make me sad (and nervous!) The craziest thing I have ever seen on a run were “ladies of the night” trying to get clients very early in the morning in a city I was in once, I just laughed and sprinted by them (on the other side of the street)

22. Lauren says:

Ugh that’s awful. I always hope that everyone is okay when I even see an ambulance or hear sirens. The grossest thing I’ve seen is dead rats in Baltimore streets haha.

Yikes, scary. It’s crazy how things happen for a reason, like you getting up late. Glad you slept in 🙂

24. Desiree @ RunSmiling says:

Yikes there are some crazy stories here!! A dead body?!? I would be so traumatized. Anyways, my crazy story is I think I might have stopped a possible burglary. I was running at 4am on a Saturday morning and there was a lady in her car smoking a cigarette in front on a house in my neighborhood. I live in Pleasantville, USA so there’s usually not a lot of activity that early in the morning. Anyways as I got closer to her car all of a sudden she saw me because I was wearing a headlamp then she tapped her horn and took off!! I called the police (because I run with my phone if I’m alone) but by that time whoever was there was long gone. They checked with all of the neighbors and everything was fine but I think there was definitely something fishy about to go down!

25. alsoranagain says:

That’s scary–I’m glad you weren’t passing through that intersection when the accident occurred.

The weirdest thing I’ve seen while running? I think I must lead a boring life, or at least run in boring places, because I can’t think of anything that bizarre.

26. RunCrush says:

That’s so scary! My mouth totally would have hit the floor on that one. In college, there was a guy who would run around in what I can only describe as anti-gravity shoes/boots. So it was always fun to run near him!

Whoa that is crazy! It’s a good thing you slept in instead! I haven’t seen too many crazy things on the run, but since moving to Alaska I’ve seen moose, sea otters, and salmon so that probably counts as crazy! I once read an article about a woman who got hit by a deer – yes, hit by one! A car hit a deer and she was running by the road and the deer hit her! That would be terrifying!

28. Jenn says:

Oh wow, that’s scary! It’s a good thing you weren’t out there when the accident happened.

We have a lot of animals around here, so I’ve seen an alligator, lots of snakes, a horde of angry Canadian geese, a dolphin and a manatee.

29. Elizabeth says:

That is so scary! I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and my first thought would have been that if you hadn’t slept in you would have been there when it happened. I hope everyone involved with the crash is okay!

30. Rachel says:

OMG, that’s so scary! Thankfully I haven’t seen anything too crazy on my runs. I usually get chased by deer but that’s my new normal. 🙂 Stay safe!!

31. themilereport says:

Oh man, that’s an eerie way to start the day. On Monday, Ryan and I were driving through traffic on the highway when we passed a huge wreck, and the police were pulling a stretcher into the smashed car. Scary stuff 😦

32. prettylittlerunner says:

Well not necessarily crazy but I had a cow get loose from a local farm and came charging up the road while my friend were running… We literally had to jump inside my neighbors fence…

Also on the bike path one day a deer and I came face to face… Not sure who was more scared but we both stopped dead in our tracks, looked eachother in the eye and ran in opposite directions… I know run with pepper spray though I doubt it would have helped with ginormous cow!

33. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

What a creepy way to start the day…no wonder you had so much anxiety after seeing that crash. At least it helped you face the hill? I just read the story about the crazy lady too and WHOA you really don’t have the best of luck when you set out on runs!!

34. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

Wow! It’s a good thing you hit snooze! My runs are quite boring compared to yours, and I think I’d like to keep it that way!

35. jenzenator says:

Oh wow! Craziest for me would be a huge, wild turkey flew right in front of me while running at my dad’s ranch one morning. Scared the pee right out of me. But you win.

36. northernambitions says:

wow what a thing to see in the morning. Hope you’re right and nothing serious happened. I can’t even think of the craziest thing I’ve seen, maybe a moose, does that count? It was scary to say the least

37. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

yikes. glad you missed seeing the majority of that! i see so many random crazy things while running in DC. motorcades, protesters, crazy tourists, crazy people. you name it, we’ve got it.

Wow, not the type of thing you see everyday on a run! I hope the driver – and any passengers – are okay!

Seeing the vultures must have been so creepy! I’ve never seen one in real life so it sounds like a scary sight!

I don’t really have any good crazy run sightings. Wildlife around MKE is pretty tame – squirrels and rabbits with the occasional deer or turkey. Sometimes I see people that are super overdressed – like long sleeves, pants and earmuffs on 80 degree days. I guess that is pretty crazy 🙂

39. Montana says:

Wow that is crazy! Everything happens for a reason…good thing you reset that alarm clock! I’ve seen an alligator before on a trail run…grinning his silly gator grin at me. It was definitely freaky but I think he was full and lazy because he just blinked while I backed up and went the other way.