Pump pump pump it up. {My first BodyPump class!}

I am WAY late to the BodyPump party. So late that even though I have wonderful friends who are BodyPump instructors (Sara and Jenna!), up until last Friday I didn’t even really know what it was. Or who Les Mills was. Honestly I still don’t even know who he is.

He’s a “he”, right?

Anyway all I knew was that it involves a barbell and I could spend a ton of money and buy it for home or I could find a class at a gym somewhere. My old gym didn’t have anything like this, but guess what!? My awesome new gym DOES. So last Friday I headed on over there at 10:30am for my very first BodyPump class.

photo

I used to get really nervous before group exercise classes, but ever since I took Zumba a few years ago I figured there’s no way I could make a bigger fool of myself. I waited with a group of women (and one guy) outside the doors of Studio One for our instructor to arrive. Once we were inside I picked a spot near the back and watched everyone else to determine what sort of equipment I would need. This was the only confusing part of the experience because it was way more props than I’m used to.

I took a barbell off the rack with the little plastic ends you snap on to make sure your weights don’t slide off. Then I chose a variety of weights; having never taken the class before I had no idea what I would be comfortable with and I wanted options. I also grabbed a set of hand weights, a step with two risers, and a yoga mat and set my things up according to how other people had arranged them.

Then of course the instructor asked if anyone was new and even though the class was packed I was the only one who had never been there before. As I said…late to the party. She gave me the usual first timer speech about taking it easy and listening to my body, etc, and then she joked about not being able to walk up the stairs the next day. I hoped she was kidding because I had my long run scheduled. All joking aside, she was nice and I liked her immediately. She also had really great taste in music.

Even for a newcomer, the class was very easy to follow except for a couple times when I was laying on my back on the step and had to turn my head to see what other people were doing around me. At first the weight was very manageable, but after doing SO. MANY. REPS. my arms were on fire. I could tell I was getting an incredible workout. With all the squats and lunges we were doing I started to think maybe the instructor wasn’t joking about the stairs thing. In the end my legs were fine, but I am still feeling it in my arms several days later!

We rounded up the class with some core work and stretching and I was shocked at how fast the time had gone. I guess time really does fly when you’re having fun! The instructor applauded me for hanging in with the rest of the class, which made me feel pretty great about myself even though I’m sure she has to say that to all her new people. Everyone there was really pleasant as well; lots of smiles and no big, obnoxious egos.

Because I have off this Friday I’ll be going back again and then once the new job starts I will have to find other ways to fit it in. Luckily new gym has lots of options. 🙂

Have you taken BodyPump before? If so, do you love it? If not, do you want to? What other types of strength training do you incorporate into your routine?

Happy Tuesday to you all!

77 thoughts on “Pump pump pump it up. {My first BodyPump class!}

Body Pump is one of my favorites! I haven’t gone since I started half training since I can’t fit it in my schedule. In the meantime I have been doing basic things like push-ups, squats, and hand weights at home. Once the half is over, I plan on making it back to my 6AM Thursday class. Glad you love it!

2. northernambitions says:

I haven’t taken one before but I want to. I’m nervous because like you, I did a dance/exercise class (Jazzercise instead of Zumba) and it was horribly embarrassing. I guess that’s also what made it fun but you kind of feel like the nerdy kid at the school dance, just a little behind everyone else on the dance floor 🙂 So could you walk up stairs the next day? And sounds like that gym was such a good choice

I could definitely walk up the stairs the next day. 🙂
      You should try it! It’s not difficult to follow at all and I’m usually really bad at following instructions for anything. I was a total trainwreck at Zumba and this was very easy by comparison and such a great workout!

seriously love Body Pump and SO excited you FINALLY 😉 tried it and love it too. I used to go twice a week but with marathon training and personal training sessions I go maybe once if I can swing it. In any case, it’s my absolute favorite class. It took me a few tries to figure it all out too. God help me when a new routine is started! 🙂

I will be doing whatever I can to keep at least one of these classes in my schedule! I really enjoyed it so much! I have a feeling Dopey is going to get in the way of a lot of things later this year, but I really need something to keep up with my strength training.

4. Andi says:

LOVE bodypump. Someday when I join a gym again it’s going to be one of the first things I do 🙂 I’m glad you liked it!

• afastpacedlife says:

I did weight training 3x/week for more than a year and got pretty strong, but the last six months or so, I haven’t gone except for a few times. I lost a lot of strength and I miss it. So I’m back on the wagon again.

I actually just thought about you at the gym because I am setting up a personal training session (included in my membership). I want to learn how to correctly bench press. 🙂

5. Corinne says:

I used to go to BP on the regular and really liked it! I’m friends with one of the instructors at my gym and whenever she sees me, she asks me when I’m going to be in her class again! I just haven’t been able to fit it in and hope to start going back again soon. Probably won’t be until later October/early November since I’m doing my half marathon training. I do a combination of HIIT and weight training now on my non-running days. Just have to remember to only do legs on Thursdays so that I’m not dying on my long runs!

Yeah doing BodyPump the day before long run was definitely a gamble that thankfully worked out okay. My long run is shorter this week so I’m not worried about affecting it this time. 🙂

• Corinne says:

The very first time I did Body Pump, I definitely lifted weigh too heavy. My quads gave out on me as I walked down the steps back to my car….don’t be that person!

The only thing that could have made the experience better is if you were my teacher! I seriously loved it so much and can’t wait to go back. Thank you for talking about it and putting the idea in my head!

6. Cheryl K says:

My strength training consists of planks and basic reps with my handheld weights…it’s not a favorite of mine, but I know I should dedicate more time to it!

I do a lot of that as well because it’s so convenient to get it done after my daughter goes to bed. I think the classes will keep me more accountable though. I know at night I would often rather be doing something else after a long day!

Prior to joining where I am now, I did all my strength training at home with weights I got from Target and videos on YouTube. It worked just as well I think! I just like the gym classes to keep me more accountable.

7. Hailey says:

I had no idea Les Mills was even a person or a he! I just thought it was the name of some kind of class…or maybe it’s both…ha I’m so out of the loop! This sounds like a really fun class. I’ve really been enjoying finding different types of strength workouts on Youtube lately and I think it’s definitely helping me gain some strength. The only thing I don’t do is squats with heavy weights or any of that other stuff with heavy weights. Mostly because I can barely lift the bar haha :).

Haha just to be sure I went to look it up and he is a he. And apparently an Olympic athlete from New Zealand who competed in shot put, discus, and weightlifting. Which would explain why I had no idea because all those things are Olympic events that I don’t typically watch. I’d like to give him a big hug now though because his BodyPump sure is awesome! 😀

I’m definitely not good with the heavy weights. These weights weren’t heavy and still managed to make me feel like a total weakling!

I’ve only done Body Pump a few times but I agree about the sore arms thing – even when using smaller weights on the bar, the number of reps make for a good workout! An excellent way to work strength training into the weekly routine 🙂

9. runawaybridalplanner says:

I’ve never tried body pump! I rarely visit a gym and that is probably why, I am more of an outdoors girl. However, I am starting to work a little weight lifting into my regimine, but it’s small in comparison and just with the home gym weights:) nothing fancy except the occasional Jillian Michaels lift workout:)

10. rockymtnpearls says:

I have been wanting to try a BodyPump class for a long time, and just got a free 30 membership to Lifetime fitness… this may be a sign! It sounds awesome, invigorating and quite the workout. Otherwise, I use high intensity interval training (my friend is an instructor – yay!) and Zumba for a lower impact day!

11. running4cupcakes says:

WOO HOO!!! LOVE bodypump <– no like seriously. 😉 I teach it too and love what it does for my body because without it, I don't think I would be doing too much strength training. And the bodypump music (well all Les Mills classes) have the best music!

I love that it is going to keep me a little more consistent with my strength training. Which I was mostly doing at home and frankly I get a little lazy sometimes. 🙂 LOVED it!

I do like bodypump, but I tend to get a bit bored. The workout seems to always be the same. And I have a hard time figuring out the right size weights to use! Glad you finally got the chance to try it!

I am interested to see how the class varies from instructor to instructor. I’m taking a different one tonight! I think I’ll still be having some weights confusion though. 🙂

13. fitfoodiemama says:

How fun! I have never done a Body Pump class either (and they aren’t available where I live) but I have heard of it mostly through various blogs. It sounds like it is a lot of fun and a great workout!! Definitely something I would try sometime if I had the opportunity.

14. FLRunnerBoy says:

Umnmm Salt I think I’m so on that party train you were on of non body pumpers haha! I didn’t even know what it was just that “Heather Runs Fast” does it for a workout. Never tried it to know if I’d like it but you have me curious. So what’s going to be the new job chica??

15. Run Colby Run says:

Pump up the jam, Baby! Love Body Pump! All that Les Mills stuff is really well done. My old gym had it and that is the one thing I really miss. You’re inspiring me to go back. Total Jello Arms afterwards. I miss it!!!

16. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

YAY! Thanks for the shout out and I’m so glad you finally tried Pump! Les Mills was a man and now his son/nephew(some male relative) runs the company. They have a ton of other formats available and are a GIANT in the group ex world. All that being said I’m sure you were awesome. The first class is always tough to figure everything out. I looked like such a dummy in my first class and had to take so many breaks. Hope you enjoy your next class Friday and aren’t sore!

17. smellingthehoneysuckle says:

BodyPump is my favourite class (I love Les Mills) and I do it twice a week, just this week I have upped my weights again and am one of the top 3 lifters in the class (sometimes the top) which I love. I love seeing my body getting stronger.

First thing is to pick up what weights you can lift on each section (I wrote it down for a bit) that way you don’t waste your transition time or end up with the wrong weights. Push yourself, even though it burns and make sure you keep adding weights every 4-6 weeks.

Lastly enjoy it 🙂

18. Single-Tracked Mind says:

YAY!!! So glad you liked your first BP class! I went this morning! I still have to watch the instructor most of the time I’m on my back doing chest or whichever track to make sure I’m not making a fool of myself.

I definitely get a little anxious before a new class; I think it’s just the newness that makes me nervous!

Its been 3 weeks since I went to body pump and I’m going through withdrawals. I just know its too much with my other marathon training. The music can really make or break a class- when they do new releases they play the set group of songs for the entire class but after a few weeks they can change it up. I always get excited when we do some of my old favorite tracks in class. So glad you had fun!!

20. Jennifer says:

Cue jock games soundtrack circa 1990ss/2000s…. hehe (totally got the Pump it up reference). I’ve never done Body Pump, but one of those classes I’ve been wanting to try at the gym.

21. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

I’m so so so jealous! I used to do body pump all the time in college and it was my favorite workout (also autocorrect turned it to body pimp hahaha). I hope to teach body pump someday. Weights and cardio and pumping music? It’s the best

22. Alyssa Camille says:

I’ve been getting into free weight training this summer, but barbells remain intimidating to me. I will definitely have to see if my college fitness center offers a Body Pump class! Sounds like my kind of workout!

Lemme guess…your new gym is 24 hour fitness? That’s where I went for the last 10 years before letting my membership run out in Jan. They never even called me to see why. Hmph. But yes, I did Body Pump a few times. It’s a killer workout. Funny though as I was usually the only male in the class. The instructor would always yell, “Nice job ladies!” Haha!

That class sounds awesome! I felt the same way in Barre3 class, the hour just flew by and I was always surprised when it was over! I really miss workout classes, I can’t wait to join a gym when we move to Anchorage!