A Belated Weekly Workout Roundup

Happy Monday and happy last four days at my job!

Because my time in this hellhole office is winding down, I had a personal day to use or lose and there was no way I was going to lose it. I took off on Friday and enjoyed a lovely three day weekend that included my very first Body Pump class, a drizzly day at the state fair where I was able to win Betty one of those unnecessarily large stuffed animals for the second year in a row by throwing darts at balloons, and a trip back in time to the Renaissance era where I enjoyed wine in the woods with the cutest little fairy strapped to my back.

photo

Ren Fest is so much more fun when you dress up. I also went out for tacos twice, watched my Ravens beat up on the Washington Redskins, and cried my eyes out at the True Blood finale.

Usually I recap my workouts for the week on Fridays, but Friday I wasn’t online. So here’s my training roundup a couple days late because I know everyone is way interested in what I’ve been up to.

• Saturday, August 16: I wanted to take it easy on this day in preparation for my 10K so a long run was not in the cards. Instead I decided to invent my own cardio/strength circuit at the gym. It looked like this:workout
    This was so enjoyable and I was sweating like a pig when I was done. Plus I love finding new ways to make the treadmill more interesting and this fit the bill.
  • Sunday, August 17: Too Hot to Trot 10K! Then because I apparently hadn’t had enough, I rounded out the day with a stroller jog to and from the playground with Betty.
  • Monday, August 18: You know what’s sad? When you have to look at the Garmin Connect website to remind yourself what you did last Monday. Turns out…it wasn’t interesting. I just got on the bike for 45 minutes for a slow ride.
  • Tuesday, August 19: Speed work day and man oh man did I do speed work. It was the day I toured my new gym and while I was there I figured I would hop on the treadmill for a bit. I felt so inspired that I ended up running 6x400s. Then later on that evening I joined up with the running group for my first track night and ran partner Yasso 800’s. Somehow I could still walk the next day.
  • Wednesday, August 20: I went to Yoga for Athletes class bright and early at 6am and then ran a very slow 5 on the treadmill at lunch. Then went out for Mr. Salt’s birthday and Carrabbas could not keep enough bread on our table for my liking. Also Joe Flacco (Ravens QB) was at Carrabbas with his family and I tried to convince Betty that she needed to use the bathroom so we could accidentally walk by their table and she could become BFFs with and later marry Joe’s son who is the same age. She didn’t have to pee though so my plan failed. Maybe next time.
  • Thursday, August 21: 5 super sweaty miles on the trail.
  • Friday, August 22: My first Body Pump class! Recap tomorrow. Spoiler alert: OW MY ARMS.
  • Saturday, August 23: Long run. I didn’t have a plan on how long it would be when I first set out, but I had a route for either 6, 8, or 10 miles. That’s one thing that I love about my neighborhood…it’s easy to plan multiple distances and just run whatever based on how you’re feeling. I ended up feeling 10, but finished with a slightly sore knee. Then I walked around the fair with Betty on my back which probably burns more calories than running.
  • Yesterday, August 24: A short little shakeout on the elliptical and then I sat in my gym’s awesome hot tub for a good long time. It was glorious. Then lots of hiking around with a Betty backpack at Ren Fest.

Last week? I ran just about 39 miles. THIRTY NINE. I haven’t run that many miles in a week since marathon training. I’m on track for my first 100 mile month in awhile, which I think is amazing all things considered.

Today I have spin class at lunch; my first in almost three years! Unless you count the virtual spin class I took back in February. Which I don’t.

What did you do this weekend? Any good runs to share? Have you ever been to a Ren Fest? Did you watch the True Blood finale? Are you as excited about football season as I am!?

79 thoughts on “A Belated Weekly Workout Roundup

1. fitfoodiemama says:

OMG your Ren Fair outfit is adorable! I love going to the Ren Fair here but we don’t get there every year (plus my hubby is a party pooper and hates it). Love the strength & cardio workout- that is one of my fav ways to use the treadmill, it’s not so bad when you break it up like that!

Do not speak any words about the True Blood finale – we are finishing up tonight. I mentioned True Blood in one of my posts last week – love that show. Did you ever read the books?

Anywho – did 8 miles this weekend around Timonium, tough roads. Although, within this run I did beat my 10K time by 2 minutes.

Yes to all the football! GOOOO RAVENS!!!!

3. Hanna says:

It sounds like you had a totally awesome “Ferris Bueller” day off on Friday! Good for you! Love your Ren Fest outfit!

I’m always conflicted about football season. One part of my is excited to see my Packers back in action, naturally. But another part of me is like “it’s fall already?! SLOW DOWN YEAR!” Football season and the end of summer always remind me how fast things are going by!

Hehe it totally was. If only I could have found a parade to dance around in!
      I can’t believe it’s already time for all this again right? I feel like we never got a summer!

4. northernambitions says:

How you carry your toddler on your back is amazing! I can’t even wear a heavy backpack let alone a small child. Looks fun though 🙂 I did an amazing 13 km hill run on Sunday. It felt great to get back into it since I’ve taken a bit of a long break. Spin classes are fun and I’m always amazed at how tired I am afterwards. I suppose it helps when someone is gently yelling at you to push harder!

I definitely consider it to be strength training. She’s 3 feet tall and nearly 35 pounds. People always joke that she’s almost the same size as me!
      I’m so excited for spin! I almost took a class yesterday, but it was a virtual one and I’m itching to be shouted at by a real instructor!

5. FLRunnerBoy says:

Sounds like you had an awesome week Salt!!! Ummmn and 400’s annnnd 800’s you are such a hero!! I want to be like you when I grow up lol 🙂 in addition to my training runs I got to play futbol/soccer for the first time in months yay! And I’m super stoked for football season college and pro!!! Good things come with football season including cooler weather haha! 🙂 I’ll be posting my training week at some point today

Thank you thank you! I have no idea what got into me on Tuesday haha.
      Hooray for futbol!!! That’s a fun way to mix up your workouts. 🙂 And I’m always glad to find another football fan too! I love football season. 😀

6. greenmountainlife says:

Joe Flacco was just chilling at Carrabbas??? I need to move to a state with more people. I can’t wait for football season, between college and NFL my weekends will be pleasantly football centered 🙂 I am seriously digging those outfits though, amazing!!

It was SO RANDOM. He’s ridiculously tall in person.
      I can’t believe this year has gone by so quickly, but I am definitely ready for football! I’m kind of in overload right now with football and baseball at the same time haha!

7. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

So many things to celebrate!! First, congrats on almost being at the finish line of your job. I’m happy you were able to use up a vacation day – that Renaissance outfit is adorable haha those fairs are definitely NOT my thing but I know so many people who love them so I can only imagine it was a blast. Tacos twice in one weekend? That alone is reason to celebrate. Top that with “oh hey I ran 39 miles this week”? You’re a freakin’ superstar.

I was glad I had it too because I’ve had just about enough of this place. I also found out I had a week of unused vacation which I will be able to cash out. So that will be a nice little extra money!

I’m so glad I found that Mexican place near my house. It’s the first legit Mexican food I’ve really had since moving back from Southern California. I could eat there every day. (Although that’s probably not the best idea!)

Your Renn Fest outfit looks great! I love Betty’s wings 🙂 We go every year and I think we’re planning to go in mid September this year. Great job on the 39 miles last week!

Thanks! We actually got her those wings at the Fest last year. She loves them. Mr. Salt was trying to adjust them while I had her in the Ergo and she yelled at him…”DADDY STOP TOUCHING MY WINGS!!”

9. Nicole@TheGirlWhoRanEverywhere says:

My friend just told me that I am going to HATE the ending of TB(I am very opinionated with it) and she is such a goood friend that she won’t even give me spoilers. I’m just glad that it’s over bc the past two yrs have been crappy!!
    I’m so proud of you and you are kicking butt!!!! It’ll feel amazing to hit a 100 mile month!! Sometimes I forget my workouts too–sad but true!!

I found part of it particularly emotional, but then there was other stuff that I didn’t. No spoilers, but I really want to know what you think when you watch it! I actually enjoyed this season as a whole a lot more than the last couple though. They lost me for awhile.

Thank you so much! I might need to have another taco celebration when I hit 100. 🙂

What an amazing week! I can’t wait to hear all about Body Pump–I’m hoping to catch my first class next week.

I went to a Ren Fair once when I was about 13, but I had no idea what it really was until I got there, and I was intensely jealous of the costumes. I’d like to go again now that I’m an adult and get some mead and eat a turkey leg 🙂

You are going to LOVE it. I can tell you that much so far. I have off again this Friday and am looking forward to going back. I recall that Ren Fest was fun when I was a kid, but I like it so much more as an adult. The raspberry wine definitely helps. 🙂

11. Piper's Run says:

That’s a solid week Salt! Well done 🙂 Had a good running weekend, 5k and 13k both on the treadmill (yuck) but at least I got them in! The only upper body workout I got in was mowing the lawn and somehow hurt my arm after pulling the cord to much to get started. Didn’t hurt yesterday but sure does today!

12. Courtney H says:

Went to Ren Fest many years ago and was kissed on the lips unexpectedly by a character there. That was fun…I am so excited for football to start. New season, new coach, ready to whoop up on some Cowboys or anyone else. Go Texans!

• Courtney H says:

Yeah, guy asked me for a kiss on the check so I go to give him a peck and he turned his face towards mine and smack! Ah well! It was fun.

Sure!! I hope you like it! Please let me know how it goes. 🙂 And thank you! I used to go in street clothes all the time, but last year we started dressing up and it’s so much more fun that way. 🙂

13. Hailey says:

Your outfit is super cute! I’ve been to a renaissance festival once, when I was little, and all I remember is a turkey leg and watching sword fighting ha. I’ve heard people rave about Body Pump, but don’t really know what it’s all about so I can’t wait to read your recap. Awesome week of training!!!

I have only had a turkey leg once in all the times I have been there and it just frustrated me to no end. It was like impossible to eat and I didn’t even think it tasted that good. I’m a big fan of steak on a stake. 🙂

I bet you would love Body Pump! I was so confused at the beginning of class, but in the end it was a blast!

I hoped for more crushed velvet in your outfit, but I think that Betty’s cuteness and your awesomeness make up for it. I used to have a real affinity for the Medieval/Renaissance era–legit-> I drew dresses and such and I loved the fashion. Likely why I like the Tudors/Borgias etc–and my school sent the 8th grade to the GA Ren Festival for our class field trip at the end of the year. I got my hair braided and got this super cool faux earring thing (you know the type, it goes around your cartilege) and I got some bright blue fairy dust (why not). SO MUCH FUN. The only thing not fun? Not being able to eat like any of the food bc I was still sick (right after I was diagnosed) but still awesome!

Sooooo many people in crushed velvet! It was like 90 degrees and I don’t know how all of them weren’t having a heat stroke with all those layers on! I believe you should come for a visit and come to our Ren Fest. I should have taken a photo of all the stuff I ate yesterday for WIAW. Granted we will go back again like 10 more times so I’ll have to remember that for next time.

Thank you so much! I got that goblet yesterday and then Mr. Salt and Betty both got those leather mugs dipped in wax. Betty’s has a little cat sitting on the moon on it. Super cute. 🙂 I always spend WAY too much money there, but it’s so much fun!

15. runawaybridalplanner says:

Love that picture of you and your daughter, so cute!!!!
    Hope you have a great time in your spin class! That is one of those things I have never tried but also have always wanted to!
    I had a good run last weekend too, nothing in form of distance, but just that feeling that reminds me why I love to run so much!

Thank you! It was an AWESOME class!!! The teacher was super high energy and there was a big screen that made it seem like we were pedaling up a mountain. The spin bikes are much nicer than the ones I’m used to also.

I just finished reading your post a bit ago and it was so inspirational! I’m so thrilled that you had that great run. 🙂

16. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

You and B are ADORABLE, I love it and your outfits! I have never been to a Ren Fest but you make them look like so much fun! I am a huge True Blood fan and have been watching it since it started, I read the book series before the show started and liked the books, but I LOVED the show. I’m a huge Eric fan!

I’m also so excited you did Body Pump, I love teaching that class so much and want everyone to love it too! HA! I wish you lived closer so you could come to my class!

OMG ERIC. So hot. 😀 I started reading the books years ago and liked them, but then I don’t know what happened…I lost track of time and then I had a Betty and my reading time became like nil. I should pick them back up again now that I have more time!

I WISH I COULD COME TO YOUR CLASS TOO! The teacher we had was super nice, but I bet you are a way cooler teacher. I loved the class though. I didn’t know what to expect going in, but it was so much fun!

17. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

I’ve never been to a Ren Fest but always thought they looked like a hoot.

I was sort of bored by the True Blood finale. Not enough Lafayette! I did enjoy Jessica & Hoyt’s wedding though. I’d imagine it’s a nightmare for a bride to cry tears. Expensive dry cleaning bill if you’re not careful.

18. Run Colby Run says:

{Plugs ears and shouts LALALALALALAAAA!} True Blood finale TONIGHT for me. I am so very bummed. I’m going to miss Pam. Such a great character. And of course, Eric. Tonight. Me. True Blood. Tumbler of wine. I can’t wait.

Lookit you and Miss Betty! Too stinkin’ cute- both of you!! Such a fun weekend! I ran 20 miles and slept 12hrs. No joke. I felt like A NEW PERSON. The sleep. Not the run. The run made me feel like a strong, old, broad. Can’t wait to hear how the new gig goes! Oh and I love Body Pump. Love it. xoxox

Yey for spin class! I haven’t been in almost 2 months and it’s killing me! I’ve got to get back to it ASAP! Looks like you had a great week!! I’ve never been to a Ren Fest! Sounds fun!

Sounds like a fantastic week! I love that you did two speed workouts in one day – killer! Also, your cardio/circuit workout looks fantastic – I think I’ll have to give that a try one of these days. I have a feeling the pushups will the the hardest part for me 😉

haha … hellhole … yeah, so I figured based on your comment the other day! Glad you are almost done!

We went to ‘King Richard’s Faire’ south of Boston several years ago (summer before we moved), and it was a blast. It is an ‘every weekend for a couple of months’ Renny Faire. Cool 🙂

22. themilereport says:

You’re such a cool mom and person for dressing up and carrying Betty the little fairy on your back! I went to a Ren fest maybe 10 years go. I didn’t dress up, but I did buy an ocarina and learn the Zelda theme song