Happy Monday and happy last four days at my job!
Because my time in this
hellhole office is winding down, I had a personal day to use or lose and there was no way I was going to lose it. I took off on Friday and enjoyed a lovely three day weekend that included my very first Body Pump class, a drizzly day at the state fair where I was able to win Betty one of those unnecessarily large stuffed animals for the second year in a row by throwing darts at balloons, and a trip back in time to the Renaissance era where I enjoyed wine in the woods with the cutest little fairy strapped to my back.
Ren Fest is so much more fun when you dress up. I also went out for tacos twice, watched my Ravens beat up on the Washington Redskins, and cried my eyes out at the True Blood finale.
Usually I recap my workouts for the week on Fridays, but Friday I wasn’t online. So here’s my training roundup a couple days late because I know everyone is way interested in what I’ve been up to.
- Saturday, August 16: I wanted to take it easy on this day in preparation for my 10K so a long run was not in the cards. Instead I decided to invent my own cardio/strength circuit at the gym. It looked like this:
This was so enjoyable and I was sweating like a pig when I was done. Plus I love finding new ways to make the treadmill more interesting and this fit the bill.
- Sunday, August 17: Too Hot to Trot 10K! Then because I apparently hadn’t had enough, I rounded out the day with a stroller jog to and from the playground with Betty.
- Monday, August 18: You know what’s sad? When you have to look at the Garmin Connect website to remind yourself what you did last Monday. Turns out…it wasn’t interesting. I just got on the bike for 45 minutes for a slow ride.
- Tuesday, August 19: Speed work day and man oh man did I do speed work. It was the day I toured my new gym and while I was there I figured I would hop on the treadmill for a bit. I felt so inspired that I ended up running 6x400s. Then later on that evening I joined up with the running group for my first track night and ran partner Yasso 800’s. Somehow I could still walk the next day.
- Wednesday, August 20: I went to Yoga for Athletes class bright and early at 6am and then ran a very slow 5 on the treadmill at lunch. Then went out for Mr. Salt’s birthday and Carrabbas could not keep enough bread on our table for my liking. Also Joe Flacco (Ravens QB) was at Carrabbas with his family and I tried to convince Betty that she needed to use the bathroom so we could accidentally walk by their table and she could become BFFs with and later marry Joe’s son who is the same age. She didn’t have to pee though so my plan failed. Maybe next time.
- Thursday, August 21: 5 super sweaty miles on the trail.
- Friday, August 22: My first Body Pump class! Recap tomorrow. Spoiler alert: OW MY ARMS.
- Saturday, August 23: Long run. I didn’t have a plan on how long it would be when I first set out, but I had a route for either 6, 8, or 10 miles. That’s one thing that I love about my neighborhood…it’s easy to plan multiple distances and just run whatever based on how you’re feeling. I ended up feeling 10, but finished with a slightly sore knee. Then I walked around the fair with Betty on my back which probably burns more calories than running.
- Yesterday, August 24: A short little shakeout on the elliptical and then I sat in my gym’s awesome hot tub for a good long time. It was glorious. Then lots of hiking around with a Betty backpack at Ren Fest.
Last week? I ran just about 39 miles. THIRTY NINE. I haven’t run that many miles in a week since marathon training. I’m on track for my first 100 mile month in awhile, which I think is amazing all things considered.
Today I have spin class at lunch; my first in almost three years! Unless you count the virtual spin class I took back in February. Which I don’t.
What did you do this weekend? Any good runs to share? Have you ever been to a Ren Fest? Did you watch the True Blood finale? Are you as excited about football season as I am!?