Once upon a time, Betty wasn’t born yet and when the enrollment rep at my gym informed me that the dues were $90 per month I didn’t even bat an eye. It seemed very reasonable to me for all the classes I was going to attend and the pool I was going to use every single day.
Then I think I got in the pool five times in all of the years I was a member there and it was because I was hugely pregnant and any other kind of exercise hurt.
After Betty arrived it was time to scale back on some things because children cost money. One of the things on the chopping block was my astronomical gym membership. I didn’t care. Between work and baby my schedule had completely changed so that I couldn’t even make it to the classes I liked anymore and what was the point of paying nearly $100 a month to get on an elliptical trainer? I bid farewell to my big fancy gym and signed up for a little no-frills gym right across the street; $20 a month, no pool or classes or anything like that, but they have treadmills and that’s all I really needed. Oh and tanning, but do people really still go tanning regularly anymore? I don’t think I’ve been tanning since 2010.
Anyway as you guys know I recently lucked out and got a great new job. New job is fairly near to where I am currently, but later on this year the offices are moving to a much bigger building and I will have a real commute for the first time in years. Not a terrible one, but much farther than I’m used to because pretty much any commute is longer than the 1/2 mile I have to drive right now.
The most unfortunate thing about this commute is how inconvenient it is for my fitness. There are several days during the week that I like to use the gym on my lunch break and once the offices move, my gym would be 12 miles away. I could either wake up even more super early every day to go to the gym OR I could find a new gym closer to work.
I’ll let you guess which one I did.
5 Reasons Why My New Gym Rocks
- CLASSES! OMG the classes. I went through the schedule before I signed up and they have so many great classes at times when I can actually attend them such as Yoga for Athletes at 6am. I can’t think of a better way to start my work day than with a yoga class. They have tons of spin classes which I haven’t taken since I left my old pricey gym, and Body Pump which I have been wanting to try for the longest time, and even Barre! Which costs a little extra, but I don’t care because I’m sure it doesn’t cost $20 like the studio I go to sometimes.
- POOL! This time I’m going to use it! Maybe I’ll even do water classes!
- DAYCARE! My no-frills little gym had a daycare too, but it was kind of sketchy so we never used it. I have a feeling it will be hard to drag Betty out of the new gym daycare. I kind of want to play in there.
- AFFORDABLE! When I added up the cost of my current gym membership plus the cost of all the outside classes I take, I was actually spending more money every month than I will be spending for my membership at this new place.
- (This is the best part and the one that sealed the deal.) MULTIPLE LOCATIONS! New gym is a chain. The biggest and best gym in the chain is brand new and about a mile from my house. And then there is a smaller gym 2 miles from my new job site! Easy access for my lunch breaks and literally right on my commute route so I wouldn’t need to go out of my way in the morning if I wanted to go to work out before work.
Today at lunch I’m going over to the big fancy gym to get my membership card and take a tour. I’m so excited!! This new job is opening up new opportunities everywhere I look!
Now on to the winners of the Muuyu yoga giveaway. I think this might have been my favorite giveaway yet because I got to pick so many winners and every time I clicked the “Choose a Winner” button a friend’s name would come up and make me smile. There are TEN of you! And here they are:
There’s only one Ursula so I’m sure there won’t be any confusion there. ❤
I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I sure have a lot of friends named Sara(h). CONGRATULATIONS to all you wonderful ladies!! I will be emailing each and every one of you today with your Muuyu secret code that will get you the 5 free classes. Thank you so much to Muuyu for their generosity and to everyone who entered! Definitely check out the Muuyu site if you are looking for a fun new way to attend a yoga studio without actually having to leave your house. 🙂
I hope everyone has a spectacular Tuesday!
Do you belong to a gym? Does it have tons of cool classes? Which one is your favorite?