Race Recap: {Not} Too Hot to Trot 10K

And just like that…I DID IT!!

5KButton_WEB

I can’t believe I’ve run 14 races so far this year and with several more to go. I might have a problem.

Lucky #14 was a very small 10K race hosted by my run club and regardless of any foot issues I was not missing it because it is part of their Grand Prix series which is starting to wind down now with the year more than half over. There are two races left after this one and I’m planning on possibly doing one of those although as I will explain in a moment, it’s really not necessary.

The race is called Too Hot to Trot because it’s August and generally sweltering around here. It was set to kick off at 7:30am before the heat of the day could really set in. Now due to global warming or whatever, the temperature at 7:30am yesterday was in the high 50’s. Not that I’m complaining because it was perfect conditions for running, but man I do love irony.

I arrived at a few minutes to 7, paid my $2 registration, and started my warm up. I was hoping if I got a mile in, my foot would settle down before the race. It was an out and back course on the NCR trail, starting at Sparks Road and heading south to Paper Mill – where I normally start my runs – and back again. Promptly at 7:30 we all lined up at the trail head for announcements and then without much warning we were being told to go and I was totally unprepared standing there in the back of the pack trying to get my Garmin started and my music queued up. Maybe I should take this as a sign that I should ditch the music.

Anyway my start was slow as I was fumbling with all the things and crammed in with a big group on the narrow trail, but there were only about 100 of us so things thinned out quickly and thank goodness for that warm up because I didn’t have to work through any of the first mile problems that I usually encounter. I was trying not to go out too fast because I needed to save my energy for later, but also trying to gain some ground on the leaders because we weren’t being chip timed.

This was my first race wearing my New Balance 1400s, AKA my Lisa Frank shoes. They are the shoes I got as part of my ambassadorship for Fit Foodie.

1400

tumblr_liymnbD1M01qc8ax1o1_500

So much resemblance.

I used to love doing shorter races in my Pure Connects, but I am 100% sure that those shoes are what led to the complete destruction of my foot, so they have sadly been retired. After running with the New Balances I am definitely missing the Pure Connects less. I was feeling really good and my feet were feeling really fast. There were two instances while I was out there when I could feel the terrible toe pain coming on – it feels like someone is crushing my second toe joint with a pair of pliers – but I was able to adjust my gait and run through it without slowing down much at all.

I concentrated on reining people in; hanging back for a bit so I could pace them and then kicking it up a notch to pass them one by one. While I was working on my third mile, the fast men who had already gotten to the turn around started to pass me going in the other direction. I waited to see how many women there were and as I reached the cone I was shocked to see that I had somehow made my way into 4th place. And somehow I still had so much energy. WTF had gotten into me?!

I only glanced at my watch a couple times and not because I cared about my pace. I was more interested in finding a pace that was challenging, but also sustainable for 6+ miles. My watch beeped for mile 6 and I started running as fast as I could, around the last bend and then I was flailing my way across the finish line in third place with my second best 10K race time! Official:

47:17

What a rush! I looked at my watch to see how I had done running by feel. Holy moly I am SO PROUD of these negative splits!!

1    8:09.6    1.00    8:10
2    7:41.6    1.00    7:42
3    7:32.5    1.00    7:32
4    7:25.2    1.00    7:25
5    7:27.5    1.00    7:28
6    7:23.8    1.00    7:24
7    1:43.2    0.25    6:54

The awesome RD had a great spread of food and drinks set out for us including bananas, donuts, and ice pops. I hung around chatting with a friend of mine as we watched other people finish the race. I just love these events; everyone is always so welcoming and friendly and it’s so nice to talk to someone about running and not have their eyes glaze over. Then it was time for awards! I had no idea there would be awards!

too hot award

So cute and so so so so unexpected.

Then I got even more good news…I came in first in my age group and I’ll tell you what that means because there’s no way you will be able to guess. The Grand Prix series results are taken from a runner’s 4 best performances during the season. So you have to run 4 races and volunteer for one to qualify, but you can run more if you want and they will just take your four best scores and use the others for tie breakers. WELL. This was my 4th race AND I came in first in my AG in all of them!! After having a lot of injury challenges this year, I am just on top of the world right now. I may run the GPS half marathon next month as a training race for Baltimore and then volunteer for the last one because 5 miles cross country…no thank you. I am so not a cross country runner.

Oh and then in true Piratebobcat style, I celebrated with tacos. Shrimp diablo. Mmmmmmm.

photo

How was your weekend? Any good runs? Did you have any tacos?

My Muuyu giveaway ends tonight at midnight! So if you haven’t yet entered and want to, go HERE! I’m signing up for another class ASAP. Sore today. 🙂

Happy Monday, everyone!

92 thoughts on “Race Recap: {Not} Too Hot to Trot 10K

1. Hanna says:

Umm you just resurrected my childhood in one fell swoop. I can’t tell you how much I love the Lisa Frank reference. Brilliant!

Congrats on the awesome PR!! And coming in 3rd!! And cleaning up in all of your races!! That’s so awesome, especially with how much you’ve struggled. I eked out a PR at my half marathon this weekend, but it wasn’t pretty. I’m really starting to miss 10Ks!! I’m looking forward to when my marathon is over and I can focus on smaller races for a while.

Whoo hoo – cheers – I’m raising my coffee mug to you!!

Thank you thank you! It wasn’t quite a PR (about a minute and a half off of a 10K I ran in April), but it was my second best time in a race ever. I’m so excited about it! Congratulations on your half PR this weekend!! It sounds like it was a wonderful weekend for racing. 😀

Good Lord even with a bum foot you are freaking incredible. I wish I could be half as fast! Nice work… and yum, yum yum on those tacos!! I actually had shrimp and fish tacos on the beach last week – so scrumptious!

In true beast mode fashion you take 3rd. I heart the NCR trail, but I can’t imagine a race with 100 runners on it. I’ll definitely have to check out those club runs next year.

I’m surprised you didn’t post a Lisa Frank unicorn pic. 🙂

It was back and forth between a unicorn and that angel kitty and Betty was talking about kitties a lot this morning so that one won. 🙂

Haha yeah you know it was way congested right in the beginning! It fans out pretty quickly though. Such a great day to run out there! You definitely need to join up. Everyone is so nice and the races are always really fun (and cheap).

4. Andi says:

Congratulations!! You are fast, woman. Holy cow.

I ran my first (virtual) 5k on Saturday and I am so proud. I also did semi-hot yoga right afterwards (they have an outdoor class on Saturdays at 10 and it was hot and sunny-whew.) I’m signing up for another 5k in September and one more, before I move on to a 10k. I’m excited and as always, I appreciate your inspirational posts.

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! That medal is freaking adorable too. Isn’t racing such a rush? (Haha I sound like an addict.) You are going to do great in those 5Ks and I bet you will love running a 10K. It’s one of my favorite distances!

I wish we had more outdoor yoga classes around here. Or any. The only one I know of is downtown and kind of hard for me to get to.

You are the sweetest ever. Thank you. ❤

5. Sarah says:

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!! You can run the next four in memory of my fourteen in fourteen attempt. I made it to 10 before I had to throw in the towel and focus on baking this baby! I’m super proud of you!!! ❤

• Sarah says:

You are too sweet!!! I’m feeling pretty good, each day is getting harder!! The third trimester has begun, so the countdown to her arrival has also begun! 🙂

6. Corinne says:

After all the injuries you’ve bravely dealt with this year, winning all of those awards has to make you feel SO GOOD! Seriously, lady, that’s AWESOME!!!!!! I had my long run this weekend. Five miles. The first two were pretty ugly because my shins and calves were screaming at me. But then right before the turnaround point, things finally loosened up and I felt good. Then I took my Gu and it was like a whole new me. The next 2.5 miles were great and I ran comfortably at 11:28 for all of it. No tacos after that run though 😉 There’s also a chance I may resurrect my sad little blog and use it to record my runs and thoughts instead of just have it as a house/DIY blog 🙂

I think it might be my favorite thing I’ve ever won. It was so unexpected and the day just went more perfectly than I ever thought it would. It was awesome.

Nice run! That’s a great pace!! Sometimes it takes a bit for me to get warmed up too.

I personally feel that you should resurrect your blog and make it into a running blog like…yesterday. DO IT!!!

7. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Congratulations on a great negative split 10K race and on winning your AG for all 4 races!! Glad to hear that you like your new balances, too. The running store where I do my Monday group runs has their new balance rep coming tonight so I am going to try running in their new 880s and see how they feel.

Also, totally understand why you’d want to pass on a 5 mile XC race. XC running is ridiculously hard!!! Every time I do an XC race I feel like I spend the whole time thinking about how I’d rather be running on pavement… 😉

Thank you so much!! I am a HUGE NB fan now. I also have a pair of 890s which are amazing. I’d love to hear what you think of the 880!

I had my first XC experience in that 5K in June and I felt like I was running in quicksand. My legs hurt for days. So I think I’ll just volunteer for that one. 🙂

14 races with four more months of the year to go!? That is SUPER impressive! And your 10k splits are picture perfect! Way to go on winning the series! I’m so proud of you and all you have overcome! And so so happy for you! 🙂

Mostly it’s because of the run club races. It makes it so inexpensive to get out there for a race! I love it!

Thank you so much, friend!! It was really the most awesome outcome yesterday and I’m so excited about the series too. 🙂

9. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

What a run! You totally kicked butt! And you achieved a goal you set for yourself which I know feels really nice. I didn’t get a chance to comment on your post from the other day but congrats on the new job! A new life-change like that really shakes things up and reinvigorates your life! So glad to hear you’re happy 🙂

Thank you so much! I’m just so happy with all of it. Things are definitely going in the right direction right now with running and the job and everything! (Thank you for the congrats on that too!)

Awesome! So glad that you are feeling better and feeling like you can rock it out. I really really hope that this can continue for you. Plus I love that you call them Lisa Frank Shoes. Do they come with a kaboodle and bedazzler???

OMG Caboodles. I was OBSESSED with mine. It was light blue and held all my light blue 1980’s eyeshadows and Bonnie Belle lip glosses. I never did have a bedazzler though. 😦 I wish my shoes were bedazzled!

11. chasingchels says:

Woot woot!! Awesome job rock star 🙂 I love run club races haha…cheap and fun and a great way to test yourself and see how your training is going. You killed this one, which is wonderful to see after all the hard work you’ve put in coming back from your injury. Congrats hun 🙂

Exactly! That half next month will be perfect timing for a training run for Baltimore and when else would I be able to run a $2 half!? Thank you so much, my friend! It makes me feel so much more confident!

Woot woot!!! Congrats! Glad your foot held up too! Way to run a smart race! Isn’t it a great feeling having energy on the 2nd half of the race after keeping it in check the first half!?! Gotta love negative splits!

And YES!!! You got post run tacos!!! Haha, nice! Wait until you see my post today – of course I also had tacos after a run!

Thank you!! I think it was probably the smartest race I’ve ever run actually. It was definitely a strategy I don’t normally use. You would love the taco place I went to yesterday!! Time for a racecation!

13. themilereport says:

14 races already this year is impressive. At this rate, you’re ready for year 2025.

I’m so happy for your awesome race!! isn’t it the biggest confidence boost ever when you feel out of shape and like you’ve barely been running and then BAM! you have an killer run/race?! yay!

Yay congrats on 3rd place and 1st place AG! Also, I love the shoes! They look like they’re polka dot print? Gotta love anything that reminds you of Lisa Frank!

15. missadventuresinrunning says:

I am glad the race went well!! Also….THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME LISA FRANK EXISTS. I need to introduce my students to that this year. Hopefully the boys don’t mind too much…but really who can resist THE Lisa Frank?

Those splits are awesome! Great work girl!! I laughed at the tacos. Pirate bobcat must be proud. Now I am also super hungry. So glad to see you back out there and rocking it. Congrats!

Congrats on your overall award and age group win! That is spectacular 🙂 Sounds like you ran a really smart race – I like using fellow racers to help pull me along the course, too. Makes the miles go by so much faster!