Sometimes it’s the little things….

We all know that exercise and staying active can have a huge, positive impact on our lives so I won’t bore you with a long list of why everyone should do it. For me personally, running and yoga have both been essential for a healthy body and mind. Then this morning as I was getting ready for work a I realized that there are apparently some other useful benefits too; smaller things that I wouldn’t normally think about when I’m out for a run or in the yoga studio.

Because I’m a runner:

I always have safety pins!

I did not start running to lose weight, but it happened along the way and who am I to argue. As a result, a lot of my work pants don’t fit. I guess I could go and buy a whole new wardrobe, but that would cost a lot of money. I also guess I could get my pants tailored, but I don’t see the point in paying more than a pair of dress pants from Forever 21 even cost me to get them taken in. So I pin a lot of my pants, including the pair I’m wearing right now. Running in a race = picking up pins to attach my bib so now I always have them handy.

Before I was a runner I had exactly one safety pin that I would rotate between items that needed a quick fix. God forbid I forget which one I had used it in last. I guess it was a good thing that all my pants fit back then.

Because I’m a yogi:

I don’t need help with zippers!

And by that I mean the ones on the back of shirts and dresses, not my jeans. That would be weird.

This is what is known in yoga as “cow face arms”:

WS_248_06

That’s also not me, but many thanks to Yoga Journal for the photo. (I do wish I knew where that top was from because it’s cute.)

My arms are kind of freakishly long anyway which has its own benefits such as with selfie-taking. It also allows me to do cow face arms pretty easily and after a lot of practice I have gotten closer and closer to grabbing opposite wrists behind my back in this way. There is no zipper that is beyond my reach. The shirt I’m wearing today has one that I would probably have to ask Mr. Salt for assistance with if not for years of cow face arms.

Have you discovered any convenient, cool, extra benefits to exercise lately?

It’s Wednesday and along with my wardrobe wins, I started the day with a humid, but fairly solid-feeling 5 miles. So thankful to be running!

68 thoughts on “Sometimes it’s the little things….

1. laurenwayjurlee says:

Love this! One benefit is I’m pretty strong and can lift most things by myself. And I should fair pretty well in a zombie apocalypse…I am not a fast runner, but I should be able to outrun zombies! 🙂

2. alsoranagain says:

So glad you’re running and feeling stronger!

One kind of funny benefit of my running is that I can hold my breath a long time. Last week we were on a drive and drove over a looong suspension bridge. My son challenged me to a breath-holding contest (in keeping with that old superstition) and I was able to hold my breath all the way across the bridge and then some without feeling that horrible, panicked, “OMG I can’t breathe and I’m gonna die!”-feeling. My lung capacity has increased immensely due to running.

My mom asked to see my wingspan when we were out the other day and she was horrified and impressed. Her arms are very short by comparison. It makes for an excellent conversation starter at parties!

Because I run I am a very convenient sherpa – when shopping for school last fall and summer clothes in the spring, I got sent to the car with the bags, and was able to jog back to meet up. It was quick, convenient and I loved it. 🙂

Hahahaha that is a GREAT benefit that I’ve never thought of!
      Because of the strength training I’ve been doing, it is so much easier for me to get all the groceries inside in one trip when I have Betty with me. Definitely convenient!

It’s not really a benefit, but lately I’ve been looking at a particularly hellish looking hill near my house and thinking I want to try and run it. Would the non-exercising me think that? Hell to the no! The idea of physical exertion isn’t scary to me now.

5. Andrea says:

I think I have the most inflexible arms ever! I can’t even get close to clasping my hands like that! Having body glide in my gym bag has been a life saver when new work shoes start giving me blisters!

They are! I’m like Inspector Gadget. Go go gadget arms!!
      I am still waiting for my powers of direction to kick in. I think I have the worst sense of direction of any runner I know.

6. chasingchels says:

Haha these are great! I’m with you on the safety pin thing. I always have those and hair ties (those are kept on my wrist at all times 😉 ). I think I appreciate nature and the seasons more too honestly, since I’m out running so much in all types of weather. Always makes me happy to see a beautiful sunrise on a fall morning or some random natural formation that I’d probably miss otherwise, and I never used to be like that 🙂 I like knowing I can keep up with the boys (both the ones I watch and the ones I run with), too. Nice little confidence booster 😉

7. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

I am thankful to yoga for two reasons: One: I can now adjust my own spine while sitting at my desk, thus saving me some chiro $$. Two: (and this one is Calypso’s fave) – I can’t do it with straight legs (yet), but my forward bend is getting pretty good. Apparently it doubles in dogspeak as “Oh look, it’s time for me to go over and headbutt Mom with more than my hard as a rock cranium.” 🙂

8. themilereport says:

haha! good point on the safety pins!

I have found multiple uses for my headlamp–looking under the couch, finding things in the back of the pantry, playing cards while camping…and I’m seriously considering using it in my medical future for wax removal.
    I’ve worn my spi belt in real life too..like for a quick trip somewhere if I KNOW that I won’t see anyone I know..

I actually considered wearing my SPI Belt to the baseball game the other day. It’s so nice now that my kid uses a toilet I don’t have to carry a ginormous bag around with me anymore. I ended up not doing it, but next time I think I might. 🙂

I never thought of headlamps being so useful!

Great points. Although I can’t relate on the zipper thing…I may have just attempted that and failed :). If it weren’t for running, I probably wouldn’t be able to get ready as quick as I do. Many early morning practices and rushing to get to class in high school and college taught me well!

Oh that is definitely convenient! I need to learn how to get ready a little faster. I still drag a lot in the morning. I do walk REALLY fast though. It annoys my husband.

10. Single-Tracked Mind says:

I love this! I definitely feel you on the safety pins. Both Jesse and I have had to overhaul our wardrobes due to weight loss.

One big plus of running – you always know exactly how far away everything is! I think it improves your sense of direction. 🙂

Haha I’m still waiting to be less directionally challenged, but I have definitely discovered some cool new things in my neighborhood that I might have otherwise overlooked!

11. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

SO true about safety pins! I never used to have them when I needed them and now I have quite a stash. I also toned up which was great – I fit back into my college wardrobe (of course after I bought a stash of bigger jeans!). However, now my calfs don’t quite fit in my really skinny jeans…
    Running makes me want to scream and throw things a little less – it has seriously helped with my anxiety.

That’s always the way it goes. I wish I hadn’t donated so much of my old skinny stuff from college! Not that it would be in style now anyway.

It definitely helps with my anxiety as well! (As long as I’m not injured and then it kind of adds to it.)

12. Kathryn @ Dancing to Running says:

Great post! I wish that yoga would make me as flexible as you are. I still need help reaching back of the dress zippers.

One big benefit I’ve found lately is that I seem to do my best thinking while exercising. I’m able to let my mind wander and make my mental checklists.

Btw, I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Be sure to check it out! http://dancingtorunning.com/2014/08/13/very-inspiring-blogger-award/

Keep doing those cow face arms!! You’ll get there!!
      Exercise has a way of inspiring me too. Whenever I’m feeling stuck on a project at work, a run can really put me in the right mindset!

Thank you so much for the lovely award! You’re the sweetest!

13. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

haha that’s hilarious and none of my pants fit either! I don’t typically need help with zippers either, I love how living an active life has helped me get a monstrous appetite and the ability to feel less guilty!

14. Tina Muir says:

Haha this is awesome! You should make this a weekly thing! Hmmmm how about that I can mow down a full stack of pancakes to leave the waitress with her mouth wide open of how I fit it all in? 🙂

Mmmmmmm pancakes. I have gotten comments about that before. Like not specifically for pancakes, but I eat so much and people ask where the heck it all goes. (Then they find out I run and it makes a lot more sense.)

15. Cheryl says:

Benefits of running…I always have food stashed in my car, purse etc. I always have a towel, running shoes/socks (old) stashed in the car. I know where EVERY dog lives in a 5 mile radius of my home. I can keep up with the kids!

16. ambertherunner says:

Ha I love this 🙂 I always intend to save my safety pins when I’m pinning my bib on, but find myself tossing them in the garbage once I get home. Then I kick myself days later when I need a safety pin. I think I just need to find a place to put them, then I’ll actually save them.
    I like that running keeps me from getting lost as often as I could have. There’ve been quite a few times I’ve gotten turned around while driving, but recognized the road from running on it, so I was able to figure out where I am. That’s huge for a directionally challenged person like myself.
    Also yay for happy & healthy feeling miles!

Haha I love this! Running has helped me not feel like I’m dying when I’m sprinting to my car in a rain storm 🙂 And it helped me meet so many awesome people through blogging!