Black and blue {A foot update} and a Sweaty Bands Winner!

You know what’s expensive? Going to the chiropractor a lot.

I love Dr. Dave. I think that he has been instrumental in the recent improvements I have seen in my foot and I would not change my experience with him for anything in the world besides maybe just not being injured in the first place. That said, I’ve had to scale back my chiro visits because twice a week at $20/visit is starting to stack up. I just hope I can stay on the path to recovery without seeing him as regularly.

Speaking of doctors, last week I had my monthly follow up appointment with my favorite podiatrist Dr. No-BS, who despite the story I am about to tell you is still my favorite podiatrist. If you don’t feel like clicking that link, he’s the one that gave me the cortisone shot which I also think helped to some degree. I discussed some of my lingering concerns with him…such as when I run it occasionally feels like someone is taking a pair of pliers to my second toe joint. It is exactly as unpleasant as it sounds.

My concern prompted Dr. No-BS to want to try some diagnostic things. There had been so much waffling around by different doctors about which nerve in my foot was causing the problems. Why don’t we do a little test to see if we have the right nerve?

Um seriously…you can do that? Why has no one done that before?

The diagnostic testing consisted of injecting a little bit of a numbing agent to various nerves to see what went numb as a result. Pretty brilliant in it’s simplicity, but still terrible because it meant I got a lot of shots in my foot that day. The icing on the cake was when he injected my peroneal nerve and suddenly he goes “Oops! I hit a blood vessel.” To which I said…

“OH GOD I’M GOING TO DIE.”

I really shouted that and I got laughed at because obviously I wasn’t going to. But this DID happen. Just in time for me to wear running shoes and run 12 miles on Saturday morning.

bruise

I cannot tell a lie…this **** is uncomfortable. Also it’s part of the reason I decided to wear my 890s for the race (extra padding in the tongue), but more on those later because I think I may be a New Balance runner for life now.

Anyway, the results of the diagnostic were peroneal nerve damage like everyone thought, but also I may have a smaller affected nerve that runs across my second toe. Either way here are the things I took away from the appointment besides that nasty bruise:

• He does not suggest the nerve release surgery that the other doctor suggested. He feels that it isn’t successful enough of the time for me to go through with it and wouldn’t it suck to sit down for a month and heal and then have it not even make a difference. By the way, the nerve doctor I was referred to still has not contacted me and maybe that’s a good thing.
  • My issues may go away entirely or they may not.
  • If it is something that annoys me enough there is another surgery that he is sure will work, but it requires more downtime and involves cutting the nerve altogether so I would lose most of the feeling in my first two toes. I know that sounds awful, but I can assure you that not having feeling in my toes would be preferable to how obnoxious the constant pins and needles are. He doesn’t want to talk about any of that with me right now because I have made improvements but I would be lying if I said I was not considering it as a long term fix. I will reevaluate after Dopey.
  • And keep running if I want. Thank goodness.

Anyway, just a little update for anyone that might care where things are standing with my foot. (Pun not intended, but I giggled after completing that sentence.)

Now on to happier things like SOMEONE WINNING SOMETHING.

photo

I’m sad to part with it (it’s so pretty!), but excited to put a smile on someone’s face today! And that someone is:

winner

YOU WIN!!!

Congratulations, Chelsea! I’ll send you an email to confirm your shipping address.

Thank you so much to everyone that entered! If you are still interested in getting a Sweaty Band for yourself, I am happy to report that I am a new affiliate! (I love them that much!) See that little clicky over there in my side bar? You can get 5% off your next order with the coupon code SWEATYNATION at checkout. Happy shopping! 🙂

Have you ever had to get a shot in an uncomfortable place? Any big, nasty bruises lately?

I hope everyone is having a happy Tuesday (with less rain than what I’m seeing out my window!)

64 thoughts on “Black and blue {A foot update} and a Sweaty Bands Winner!

1. Run Colby Run says:

Sweaty Bands are my jam! Very thrilled you are an affiliate! And thanks for the 5% off! I’ll take it. As for your paw. 😦 That is such a bummer Salt. Although I might take Dr. No B-S’ No Call Back as a sign and continue on the course you’re on. I have numbness in part of my right foot due to an ankle surgery years ago (and there’s still a pin in that baby too!) and I can’t stand the feeling. Pins and needles sucks. Although my minor issue is nothin’ compared to yours. Sending you continued healing thoughts! And still super impressed about your Charm City Run! xo

I am thrilled too! Although it probably won’t lend itself real well to me saving money.

Yeah that’s how I’m choosing to look at it. If that guy doesn’t want to call me back maybe it’s a good sign. I think you’re the first person who really understands what this feeling is! I was trying to explain it to someone the other day…like if your limb falls asleep and you get those painful pins and needles when it wakes up. Except my toes never really wake up.

Thank you. I’m so happy with how last weekend went. I really miss speed training though. I can definitely feel how out of shape I am. 😦

• Run Colby Run says:

Salt. You may think you are, but believe me, you are not. At all. You are fierce. And I would guess that with all of your yoga and strength training, you are far stronger than you think.

My pain is not as intense as yours, but it’s a real drag from time to time. There’s nothing really to do about it. Mine feels like it’s juuuuuust about to wake up. Weird. Zombie Foot for sure. I’m lucky I can run at all. I have no inversion or eversion in my right foot. Poor thing. xoxox

2. Michele says:

I had to get a shot in the back of my hand once (don’t even remember why) and it hurt like hell and I had similar bad bruising. Glad you are able to run! Although I guess it’s annoying that they don’t really know what’s gonna happen with it. One day at a time? But good news overall. And my cheapness has always prevented me from seeing doctors, specialists, chiros, etc unless I’m desperate so I hear you on the $$

Ugh yes it’s probably the same kind of thing with the foot and the hand. Not really any cushioning in either of those places. I’m definitely thankful I can run at all, but there are things I miss for sure. Like speed training. I never thought I would say those words!

I almost didn’t keep the follow up and stuck with the chiro, but it helped me mentally to hear from a podiatrist that he didn’t think we needed to discuss surgery right now. 🙂

3. Corinne says:

Thankfully I’ve never gotten a bruise quite like that from a doctor! Not counting surgery of course. I definitely think it’s a sign to go the no-surgery route if the nerve doctor hasn’t called you back yet. Keep doing what you can to feel better! I don’t like to spend money on doctors, so I’m always looking for home or cheap remedies for any of my ailments. I’ve practically been on the verge of tears since Saturday because my cheap foam roller is crap so my right leg is screaming at me, and I lost my Sure Foot Rubz thing (little green ball with nubbies on it, resembles a dog toy) so my right arch is screaming at me too 😦

I have one of those little green nubby foot things and it is magical. I would totally lend you mine if you were closer. I’m sorry you’re hurting! I hope you feel better. 😦

• Corinne says:

So after I posted that, I started searching for plantar fasciitis home remedies and saw that frozen golf balls can help. I posted on Facebook explaining my predicament, and my neighbor dropped off a couple for me! Go figure that I found the green ball of bliss in the dog’s bed when I got home for lunch….little brat had hidden it there and wanted to play when she saw me! I now have that at my office for today and will replace with a golf ball tomorrow.

4. Running Boston and Beyond says:

I’ve been taking allergy shots for the past four years, so needles don’t really bother me any more, but they also don’t make me look like I just kicked an anvil. Of course, who has anvils laying around besides Wile E. Coyote? My insurance has a huge deductible, so I have to pay for all my appointments all on my own, so I don’t go as much as I’d like to, that’s for sure. It bites. Glad you have some direction and relief!!! And great job on your race – that was super fast!

Usually I’m cool with needles, but man did that freak me out! It definitely bites when the cost keeps you away from doctor visits. I’m hoping I am on the right track enough right now that I won’t really need to go so often. At least I can save up a little bit now for the next one.

Yeahhh it definitely looks like I dropped an anvil on my foot.

5. Andrea says:

Ugh…anything involving nerve pain sounds awful. I hate needles and shots so you are a trooper for going through that. Hopefully you continue to improve and can avoid surgery.

6. samantha couch says:

salt, i know you miss walking dead but that’s no reason to give yourself a zombie foot! i kid, but really – that looks so painful, gal. i’m happy you were able to get some more answers and have a possibility of a long term fix down the line. until then, i’m certain you’ll just keep kicking ass.

Dude, I would have yelled something much less nice if someone accidentally injected me in the wrong place. That’s no fun. Hopefully progress continues and surgery isn’t a necessity.

Damn foot! Glad to hear that it’s slowly getting better and that surgery is not imminent. (or at least you got some time) At least you can run, right? {{healing vibes, healing vibes}}

I actually got a big nasty bruise while on vacation – some kid’s boogie board got loose and hit me square in the shin. I think I had an indentation for a minute. 🙂

OW! I’m sorry about your boogie board injury! That’s a fun and interesting reason to have a bruise though. 🙂

And thank you. I’m very happy that I can run. Actually I’ve been doing lots of different things with KT tape lately and I’ve found a couple new ways to wear it that help a bit. That stuff is like magic.

9. chasingchels says:

Oh my goodness hun! I can’t get over your foot! You are one tough cookie to run with it in that shape! I don’t know if I’d be strong enough…ok I probably would since it takes a lot for me not run, but I would be way more whiny about it! I hope it heals quick!

10. runawaybridalplanner says:

ouchy, just looking at your foot makes me cringe and I just feel your pain!
    On the good side, he told you, you can keep running on it. That is a very positive thing! I battle with my own Peroneal pain, but it is in my tendon. However, in my other foot I have a nerve entrapment issue. So although I have the two separate things, they are similar to your own, and I totally understand your flustration when you say you’d just rather not be in pain! Fingers crossed for you, that things will go away on their own!
    And I totally hear you about expensive Dr. Visits! I have insurance, but I am still working on paying down over $5000 in medical bills I acquired last year on my own foot injuries… Dang Dr. bills!!!!

haha – love it when you trip over unintentional puns! You probably want to kick me now, but if the shoe fits! I really nailed that one, which got me out of a jam – pinky swear! OK, no more bad foot puns or you’ll think I’m a real heel.

I think it is good that you are getting all of the help on this and seeking multiple opinions … but you are right it gets costly. We have an issue where our insurance covers doctor office lab work and hospital lab work differently … and over the last few years more doctors contract with hospitals to get labs done (to save them money) so we started seeing bills. Yay … not.

I just hope that they can solidly figure out what is going on, because as an engineer I am not big on the ‘problem just went away’ thing.

And congrats to Chelsea!

So I received the notification for your comment as I was walking off my workout on the treadmill a bit ago and your puns were the SOLE reason.

I’m hoping I have enough information now that I can wait a little longer before seeing anyone else. After getting all the needles I definitely feel like I have a more concrete idea of what is happening and it’s good to know that it is DEFINITELY that deep peroneal nerve. I think it’s the first time I’ve had a definite answer on anything this whole time!

12. courtruns4cupcakes says:

Oh my gosh your poor foot, that looks so painful! I’m glad your doctor doesn’t think the first surgery is necessary. Hopefully the second one isn’t necessary either but if your foot continues to bug you, you gotta do what you gotta do! Who knows maybe it could spontaneously recover by the time Dopey rolls around!

Your poor foot! I can’t believe you ran 12 miles on that! That is way cool about that test though. That is incredible that they can do that, I had no idea! I can relate to going to the chiro a lot. I’m on a maintenance plan now, so I go every two instead of every week now and to think the person that referred me didn’t have insurance that covered there’s so theirs was $40! For such a quick visit, that is a lot of money! I thought 15-20 was bad…ha

14. themilereport says:

I’m sorry that your foot is still a big mystery that now looks like a mermaid fin.
    I’m impressed that you ran 12 miles on that!

And I like hearing the updates on your foot, so keep them coming 🙂

Sorry about the bruise on your foot 😦 The whole process with the needles sounds uncomfortable but at least they’ve isolated the right nerve or two. I though of you earlier today when I went to yoga class and the instructor started it in savasana 🙂

16. northernambitions says:

ah oh my dear that looks horribly painful! I’m so glad you don’t need surgery though, that must be a relief. I was going to the chiropractor for a while and at $45 bucks a pop it definitely added up!

17. fitfoodiemama says:

Ugh that is a nasty bruise on your foot!!! I absolutely hate needles and if someone did that to me I might actually die! When I had my first daughter by emergency surgery they blew my vein trying to hook me up and that was worse than actually being cut open!

Glad you still have the a-okay to keep running- and as a side note 2x a week for an undetermined amt of time is a lot to see your chiro. There might be exercises you can keep doing at home and cut back on your visits! 🙂

I feel so special that I got to hear the real live version of this story! I still wish that you didn’t have to deal with any of this, but at least you are making progress and have options. And OMG seeing doctors twice a week gets ridiculously expensive. I tapped out of my FSA in May. Now my chiro I go to doesn’t reimburse through insurance so you have to do it yourself, so there is this long delay from when you pay the full amount to getting reimbursed for some of it. One of the many crazy things we will do to keep running, right?

19. Nicole@TheGirlWhoRanEverywhere says:

I need to get more sweaty bands bc I also have the head of a 6 year old. Maybe smaller. So annoying!!!

Ok soooo I really am proud of you for how well you are doing with your foot-that pic made me go “oooooooooooh my” bc it looks painful!!!
    I’m a little behind on posts and I can’t wait to catch up by reading Abt how you did at the 12 miler!!

It definitely felt like crap for a few days. The shoes I wore have good padding on the tongue though so it didn’t bother me too much during the race. It’s MUCH better now!

Wow, that’s crazy! Sounds like he treated you like a pin cushion. I haaaaaate getting shots, so I would’ve not enjoyed that at all. I don’t mind getting hurt here and there, but not when I know it’s coming. I always have to look away when they stick me. I hope it all gets worked out for you!
    In the meantime, I hope you don’t have to expose that bad boy in public…or are you just going around in flip flops?

I was definitely a human pin cushion, but at least I got some answers! 🙂 I definitely couldn’t look though. I don’t mind needles as long as I don’t see them.

Ugh I can’t wear flip flops! (Dr. Orders) So I’ve been living in my Merrell hiking sandals. They don’t really sit on the bruise though thank goodness.

21. Elizabeth says:

I probably would have yelled the same exact thing if they hit a blood vessel in my foot haha! I’m such a baby when it comes to doctor’s. At least you’re getting answers and it doesn’t sound like the prognosis is bad, just time consuming. Good luck with everything! Try to stay positive!

22. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

I am a total chiro junkie! I love them SO much!! As for shots – I am a firm believer in not getting stuck. EVER. I go with the hubs when he gets cortisone shots in his foot and I honestly have no idea how he gets through it without putting a bullet in the doctor’s head! Glad to hear you’re getting some improvement and Wonder Mutt and I will send lots of pixie dust your way for continued painlessness(?)! 🙂

Haha the needles for those shots are HUGE. I told the podiatrist last time that the last time I had seen anything like that was my epidural. 🙂 Thank you so much for the pixie dust!! I could definitely use it! ❤