A weekly workout recap and the most helpful infographic in the history of EVER.

I’m always very fond of workout recaps and seeing what my favorite bloggers have been up to with their training.

When I was marathon training I really enjoyed adding my own recaps to the mix! Then I got hurt and felt stupid posting “Tuesday: I rode the bike. Wednesday: I rode the bike. Thursday: I RODE THE BIKE” over and over again. Plus after weeks of not running much at all and drinking a little more wine than I probably should have my fitness definitely fell apart a little bit and thinking about my workouts was kind of depressing.

Lately I’ve been feeling stronger and decided I could handle getting on a scale to see what the damage was. The verdict? Not great, but it could have been much worse I guess. And it probably was much worse, but I’ve managed to rein it in a little bit recently.

This week though…I HAVE LEGIT WORKOUT UPDATES!

Oh_yeah

This time last year I was a total ball of stress and doubting my ability to finish a half marathon. Despite my foot, I feel so much more relaxed this time around. It’s such a fun distance and I’m so excited for my friends that will be running their first halfs at Baltimore with me! (SARA!)

• Saturday, July 26: My longest long run in months! 8 miles. Then later in the afternoon, I stacked another 3.5 miles on top of it with an slow, easy stroller run with Betty. 11.5 miles for the day.
  • Sunday, July 27: Strength HIIT workout and 30 minute bike HIIT workout. Then I tried something I’ve never done before: I walked. I set the incline on the treadmill to 15 and walked at between 4 and 4.5 MPH for 30 minutes. And I sweated like a pig which was very unexpected.
  • Monday, July 28: An hour of yoga and 45 minutes on the elliptical.
  • Tuesday, July 29: 4 mile run and allowed myself to kick my speed up a notch and saw 7’s for the first time in awhile + abs and strength training.
  • Wednesday, July 30: Easy 5 mile run and an hour of yoga.
  • Thursday, July 31: A little over 7 miles total for the day. I didn’t mean for that to happen. I did 4 humid miles on the trail and then Betty wanted to go to the playground in the evening so I did an easy jog to and from there. She’s my favorite running buddy right now.

Today? Happy August Rest Day!

part+of+the+program

Tomorrow morning the original plan was to attempt my first double digit run since May, but I just learned that there is a pretty sizable chance that we will be getting a monsoon. I usually don’t mind running in the rain, but I already have enough things to think about right now while I’m out there and maybe I don’t feel like being soaked too. I should probably cut it short anyway because I did put quite a bit of mileage in this week already and have that 12 miler next Saturday. Not trying to get too overzealous over here.

Now back to the whole drinking wine thing. I mentioned on here that work has been really rough lately and between that, Mr. Salt working a trillion hours, and me flying solo with Betty, this week I deserve all the wine and possibly an all expenses paid trip to a tropical island where no one can bother me for a couple days. But in the spirit of re-harnessing my fitness, before heading to the wine store last night I decided to do some research on which variety would be the healthier choice for me. I tend to lean towards cool, crisp whites in the summer but maybe a red would be more appropriate?

I found all the answers I would ever need in this helpful infographic from Prevention.com.

mosthelpfulever

Merlot it is. Thanks, Prevention!

It was good too.

Are you a wine drinker? Do you prefer red or white? Any monsoons in your forecast for the weekend?

It’s FRIDAY and you have one more day to enter the doTERRA Essential Oil giveaway! That can be found right HERE.

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend! ❤

65 thoughts on “A weekly workout recap and the most helpful infographic in the history of EVER.

1. Running Boston and Beyond says:

I’m kind of going crazy (hence, sitting here on my computer stalking my emails and catching up on blogs) because we are currently getting a monsoon. I couldn’t swim this morning due to said monsoon with lightning, I don’t feel like running in the rain today either, and now I’m worried about my long bike ride tomorrow. Hopefully panic won’t set in. The only good thing is that my son may not have football practice tonight and we can stay home this entire weekend because we have something going on every single week day and Saturday until the end of time (November).

2. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

I loved the wine graphic. I prefer whites, mainly Rieslings, but I will drink Pinot Grigio if there is not a good Riesling but it has to be REALLY cold. For red, I prefer a really smooth Pinot Noir, but 9/10 I choose white, even in the Winter.

It’s supposed to monsoon here too, which I am super bummed about because we have had a tubing trip booked with a group of friends for over a month and now we are trying to reschedule 😦

Have a great weekend!!

I love good Riesling! I find that a lot of them are way too sweet for me, but occasionally one will be just right. Pinot Grigio is my go-to white. I don’t think I’ve met one that I didn’t like. (Or at least one that I wouldn’t finish the glass of it.)

Ugh this rain is looking worse and worse for everyone. That’s so lame! I’m sorry about your trip and I hope you guys were able to reschedule!

I’m def a red wine girl. I’m glad that you just confirmed my dominance in the intelligence sector.
    Dude you are running as much as me, but on a more frequent basis! So happy you are back at it. Also, tell my leg to stop being a pansy, I feel like I have a minor pulled muscle. And a half tomorrow. A$$hat.

Haha you just KNEW it was the better one! 🙂
      My foot is sending “stop being such a pansy” vibes to your leg right now. But really let’s just both get all better so we can run without fear STAT. I hope tomorrow goes well! It sounds like it will be fun with running buddies!

Whoa, what an awesome week! That is more than awesome. I am a wine drinker and I love white wine. The drier the better. Right now I am trying to abstain for a bit and it is rather annoying. I love a glass in the evening before bed. Have you ever had a Vinho Verde? It is from Portugal and is very light and has almost an effervescence to it. If you are looking for a lighter white, that isn’t too sweet, this is a great summer wine. It also comes in on the lower end calorie-wise for whites. Ugh, now its 9:30 and I want a glass of wine!

I HAVE had Vinho Verde!! A really good friend of mine recommended it to me a few months ago. I LOVE it! I need to pick up another bottle. (Plus lower cal is always my friend.)

I totally need a glass of wine with dinner after this post today. 🙂

5. missadventuresinrunning says:

Well shoot! I am a white wine drinker! Chardonnay is the name of the game for me. I know its ridiculous, but I never drink red wine in public because of…RED WINE TEETH! (http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/10/lindsay-lohan-brown-teeth-photos-decay-neglect-smoking-red-wine-dentist/) Someone actually got me wine wipes for my birthday. Yes, that is an actual thing that company makes. haha. On another note, you are rocking your workouts! Way to be. You have a great attitude despite all that you are going through.

I need these wine wipes to carry in my purse. Usually when I’m out and about I drink white wine and save the red for at home though so no one will see my scary vampire teeth. 🙂 Thank you, friend! Being pessimistic about it was getting exhausting so I’m just trying to keep moving however I can!

6. chasingchels says:

Hahaha soooo glad you posted this one today 😉 I love wine but typically go for white over red because red tends to give me headaches even if I behave and keep it to a glass 😦 maybe that just means I need to practice with them more 😉 I don’t think we have any monsoons coming, but there’s a chance of rain tonight which I hope holds off since I don’t want to sprint for my life in any rain 😛

I hear that from so many people! I used to be the same way too. (Red wine headaches.) It stopped after I had my daughter which is a little weird. Now I drink all the wines. 🙂

I hope your rain holds off tonight too and GOOD LUCK AND FAST VIBES!! You’re going to kill it! I just know it. 😀

7. Lily says:

I love wine more than I could ever say. I’m in Paris and really nice bottles of wine are at the grocery store for like three dollars… so I’m basically in heaven. I haven’t had any in a week (that might be a new record) because I’m sick, so I’m currently drinking pure cherry juice and pretending it’s red wine. I love a white wine if it’s in the daytime (I always feel like I’m at a cocktail party), and red any other time.

OMG I just saw your post. I would be drinking all the wine if I were in Paris. (Not one of the reasons I’m so set on going, but definitely a major bonus.) I hope you get to feeling better so fast and get to have a great belated birthday celebration too!

8. Harold L. Shaw says:

Love the infographic and just really emphasizes why I keep chosing reds over whites :-). Congrats on getting back to your training and it sounds like things are going well on the injury front. 🙂

9. runningsouthern says:

No monsoons for us but our weather has been really cool for the summer which is weird, and I don’t really trust it. Highs in the low 80s when we are normal in the low 100s this time of year just doesn’t seem right.

Yeah it’s definitely sketchy. I actually put my space heater on the other day in the office. It just isn’t right. I’m kind of worried what all this is going to mean for the winter.

10. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

I had two, yes TWO runs cancelled this week thanks to Mother Nature and her love of south Florida lightning storms. #majorsadface On the upside, I used to be a supersweet Riseling chugging kind of girl. Then I went to Italy. There’s two big no no’s in Italy: you don’t even ask if they have Rieslings and you don’t dare ask for ice in your vino! OH. THE. HORROR.

Haha I will definitely remember this for when I go to Italy. Because I AM going to Italy. 🙂 I don’t put ice in my wine, but I wonder if they would let me put cherries!

Booo to canceled runs! This weather needs to cooperate with us!

11. fitfoodiemama says:

I just love your blog! I try not to be a stalker but you post all these fun things that I just feel the need to comment on! Today is a rest day for me too but I HATE starting off the beginning of the month on a rest day- really trying to hold back from doing anything but its hard! Also, I LOVE that infographic- while I am a red wine drinker I do prefer a cold glass of dry white on a hot day- I just can’t help it!

You are so not a stalker!! I love comments and also I love YOUR blog so if you are a stalker then so am I.

I hate starting off the month with a rest day too, but today I definitely need it. Haha this fitness tracker thing I’m wearing is totally amplifying how much of a rest day it is too. I have like no steps today. And yet I’m still eating all the food.

I like Chardonnay too. I used to hate reds but then started drinking them occasionally and kind of eased my way into it. I don’t think I could ever just give up on whites cold turkey. 🙂

Thank you so much!!

Ha, love the infographic! I usually stick with white wine year round with a preference for sweeter ones like Riesling. Although I love cooking with red wine!

Awesome week of training! Sounds like you’re doing a great job of building back up!

Mmmm I also love cooking with red. I need more recipes.
      Usually I tend to find Rieslings a little too sweet, but sometimes I’ll find the perfect one and it will be awesome. 🙂

Thank you so much, friend! I just want to do everything right that I can and hopefully my foot will keep getting better and better!

13. Elizabeth says:

Yay for an awesome week!

I LOVE wine, but I exclusively drink white wine. I have yet to meet a red wine that I like. Although I prefer red sangria over white sangria, which my boyfriend thinks is weird…

14. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

I used to love sweeter whites but recently if I drink a white it really can’t be sweet anymore, so I stick to sauvignon blanc usually. I always avoided red because of the teeth staining thing but now I think I might be over that. So maybe next time I’ll go for the merlot 🙂

Glad you’re feeling well and getting in some great workouts!

Now that I know about the red wine teeth wipes, I’m going to stock up and carry them in my purse. I like sauvignon blanc too! Really I don’t discriminate. The only wine I hate all the time is port.

15. Kate says:

Yay! So glad you had a good week!

I LOVE white wine…the sweeter the better. I’m slowly starting to get into red wines…like pinot noir…and that’s it…the other stuff just tastes so gross to me!

It is supposed to rain this entire weekend, but since Laguna Beach has been on MTV I know what I’ll be doing…in between studying medical terminology and muscles (woo hoo)!! The fitness center at out apartment complex has one elliptical machine, so I’m hoping to get some endorphins doing that too 🙂

Have a great weekend!

Wow, you had an incredible week!!! So happy to hear your foot is holding up for you. We had a little bit of a monsoon last night I guess and this morning the rain was the spitting kind on my run, but oh my goodness it was glorious. Super windy and not conducive for the best workout, but it felt so nice to not feel like I was melting alive haha.

I haven’t had wine since I’ve been old enough to actual legally drink it! I know, it’s crazy! I had it once when I was in middle school and a friend took me to her church and I thought it was terrible, but maybe it was my age and the kind. And I haven’t really had that many kinds of alcohol. l made the mistake of thinking pumpkin beer actually tasted like pumpkin one time haha…can’t believe I just admitted that, but I was super disappointed haha 🙂

I love both red and white. I prefer white in the summer because it’s lighter. My favorite red is Pinot Noir or a good Zin! Where are you headed to? And I hope there isn’t a monsoon because I need to get 16 miles in tomorrow! EEK!!

18. Tina Muir says:

Glad you are being safe, but happy to hear you are coming back from your injury! That really is the best info graphic hahaha! Love it! I am not a red wine fan, but not a huge white drinker either, I love hard cider 🙂

19. runawaybridalplanner says:

We’ve been getting a lot of rain here too, and even a half an inch is a lot in Utah:) But we’ve had enough to flood parking lots and keep the grass looking greener so I am all for the rain here:) Well this past week at least:)
    Great week of workouts, congrats on your 8 miler! If you do get in the mood rain or shine, I wish you luck in your double digit:) run!

20. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i was actually so mad that it didn’t rain this morning — julie and i were looking forward to a rainy run and of course it was just humid as heck per usual. boo. i love wine. i like sweet wine though so it decreases some of the health benefits but oh well 🙂

Love this!! I prefer red wine so this makes me happy. Although I usually won’t turn down any wine…but I am also trying to reign it in a little. I have been more than usual lately with it being summer and having lots going on, so I’ve been trying to limit the evenings of- I had a rough day so I need a glass…because that usually turns into 3 glasses:)

Ha, I love that wine info graphic! I’ve also been a fan of fruity whites but I think this has convinced me to switch! Of course, there’s always sangria and then you get your fruit in too 🙂

First, so great that you have actual updates coming … I have been so happy that you’ve been coming back. I have SO MANY friends who got hurt this year, both blog-friends and IRL friends. It has been saddening!

And I love the info graphic! I am definitely a red wine lover. Lisa moves to dry whites in the summer, but I stick with red all year long 🙂

I’m usually more of a beer girl, but I’ve been trying to hop on the wine train because it has lower carbs and calories, with a higher ABV. That being said, during the summer I usually reach for white more often than red, but I still do love me some red. And since summer is barely 2 months long here in the frozen north, I’ll be switching back to reds soon enough 🙂