I want to hug you all. Thank you so much for the great responses yesterday. No one insinuated this, but I wanted to make it clear that I did not write that post for any sort of validation. I just think that pace is such a personal thing and I feel dismayed that anyone should have to deal with any negativity in regards to their own. And also a few people said that they are their own worst critic and to you I say…STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!

tumblr_m8d5wocwQZ1qa3h5eo2_500

You are all amazing, inspirational runners no matter what speed and distance you run. We are all doing our best and having fun with a sport we love.

tumblr_m696hpY63f1qahpr8o1_1280

Hehe I have always loved that saying. What we do is HARD WORK. And we’re getting it done!

Now.

Lobster Pants.

Some people wanted to see them so here ya go. A Throwback Thursday to yesterdays Lobsterpalooza 2014.

photo 1From far away they are kind of like one of those magic eye pictures that you stare at until your eyes go out of focus and a sailboat appears. I made sure to include a closeup of the lobster detail since they are mixed in with a lot of flowers.

Yoga Rebirth.

In all my years of doing yoga, I’ve never started a class in savasana until yesterday.

Savasana – or Corpse Pose – is symbolic of death and my instructor wanted us to begin there as a way to remove ourselves from everything that had gone on in our lives before we came to the studio. I think it made such a huge difference. Without getting into any details, work has been exceptionally rough lately and having this class to go to on my lunch breaks has become necessary for my mental well-being. Killing all those bad feelings right at the beginning opened me up to receive so much positive energy that I could carry around for the rest of the day. I could actually tell a noticeable difference in my balance.

positive

At the end of class I let the instructor know this and she gave me the biggest hug. I didn’t know how badly I needed a hug until just then! And no, Scott. I didn’t start crying.

Fitness Tech.

As part of my Sweat Pink Ambassadorship I am sometimes given the opportunity to review products. The other week I was contacted to test and review a new portable tracking device. That’s about all the info I was given. It was so top secret that they couldn’t tell me any more about it, but would I like to do it?

Ummmm sure? I guess? It sounds techy and I love techy things.

Good thing I said yes.

photo 5

It’s the Orbit by Runtastic and as of today I’m allowed to talk about it. I’m still familiarizing myself with all the many functions of this little gadget – and there are many! – but I can report so far that it’s like a Fitbit on steroids. This thing does pretty much everything, including syncing with a phone app to act as a running watch and tracking my sleep patterns which I have learned over the past week are abysmal. #shockingnotshocking

I should have a full review of it in a week or so once I get it all figured out. Today I’ll be trying the app sync for the first time and seeing how it matches with my Garmin.

photo

As you can see, on Saturday I was an overachiever.

Fun New Fitness Apps.

I had never heard of Runtastic before the Orbit opportunity. When I went into the store on my phone to download the compatible app, I found that they have a bunch of other free fitness apps too! My favorites of these are mini personal trainers for SQUATS, PUSHUPS, and SIX PACK. These apps also have PRO versions with extra material and I suspect no advertising popping up at regular intervals. Which might be enough to sway me into purchasing it in the future because I hate ads on my apps.

Anyway.

The Squats trainer has you do a certain amount of squats in sets. When you are doing them you hold the phone out in front of you at arms length in both hands and it counts for you; beeping when you have squatted down far enough. Then you can set a reminder for your next training which gets progressively more difficult as the days go on.

I am terrible at remembering to do squats and now I actually look forward to them. It goes by really fast and saves all your data conveniently.

photo 4

The Pushups trainer is awesome. Similar to the squat trainer, it has you do a certain amount of pushups in sets and then you can set training reminders for yourself. Again, this gets progressively more difficult each day.

Let me just say that I thought I was good at pushups until I started using this app. When you are doing them, you place your phone under your face and have to touch the screen with your nose – or at least get anywhere close to it – to make it beep. Frankly, it’s exhausting.

photo 3

The Six Pack trainer has a little avatar that does the exercises along with you and you can program it to speak in a variety of British accents. I get the feeling from this one that the paid version is a little more interesting, but I only just started with it two days ago I’m not trying to pass too much judgement yet.

photo 2

Currently I’m in the beginner training which has you do 3 sets of exercises. As time goes on, you unlock achievements to get to higher levels. I think this is a great app for someone who is just starting to work a little more on their core.

For the price (ummm FREE) I think all three of these are worth downloading if you are looking for a way to mix up your home workouts!

Have you ever tried a Runtastic app? Do you own a fitness tracker? Have you ever started a yoga class in Savasana before?

I kind of want to do it all the time now…out with the bad and in with the good!

Happy Random Thursday, friends!

71 thoughts on “Random Thoughts Thursday: Lobster pants, yoga rebirth, and fun fitness techy things.

1. laurenwayjurlee says:

That is so interesting that you talk about starting a yoga class with savasana. We JUST talked about this in my yoga class last night. Someone was joking that we should start class that way. I think its a great idea and I’m glad you thought it was a positive experience!

It was really amazing. It almost felt like we did the whole class backward. (Started in savasana, worked core first, etc.) It was a nice change of pace and definitely put a new perspective on things!

Looks cool – I have seen Runtastic before.

Still haven’t done yoga yet, so no comment there. ANd I was also wondering if you were going to cry 🙂 Would have been totally understandable in the circumstances.

And OF COURSE I have fitness trackers! haha … right now the ‘traditional’ ones I have are the Polar Loop, and Lisa uses the Garmin VivoFit. I also use the Garmin FR-15 with built-in tracking, Magellan Echo and Wahoo Fitness app. So yeah, over-measure 🙂

Love the pants!

Honestly I’m a little surprised that I didn’t cry too. I was really happy in that moment though. I finally felt like some weight had been lifted off. The rest of the day was such an improvement!

You are the KING of fitness trackers!! 😀 I think my next purchase is going to be the FR-15 due to your awesome review!

3. Kate says:

Those pants are fantastic!! I wish I could get into yoga because I know how good it is for me…but when I work out I need to sweat, and most yoga classes just aren’t good at that haha.

GET THEE TO A HOT CLASS, LADY! I am the same way. There are times when I want to do restorative, but more of the time I want a challenging flow in a hot room that gets me all sweaty.

Those pants. Are magical. PS when are the cat tights coming back?
    And you lucky duck, getting to try that sucker out. I think they are scared of me doing a review…

5. alsoranagain says:

I love Lilly! I wore it when I lived in Virginia but haven’t had an opportunity since moving back to the Pacific NW. You just don’t see much Lilly around these parts.

I don’t own a fitness tracker but I’m very interested in getting one. I need to track my sleep because I think it’ll convince me to sleep more. The only thing holding me back is the thought of coordinating that data with my Garmin data. I’m interested to read your detailed review too see how the Orbit works.

She’s pretty scarce here too. I actually got the pants while in South Carolina. LILLY EVERYWHERE!

The sleep tracker is crazy! On one hand I’m disappointed at myself for being such a crappy sleeper, but seeing it tracked is equal parts cool and scary. 🙂 I’m the same way with the Garmin thing. Right now I’ve been wearing both and in the long run I’m hesitant to move away from Garmin because I love Garmin Connect so much. But we’ll see. Chances are I’ll just have an arm covered in fitness trackers. I do like that the Orbit counts my steps/distance for treadmill when my current Garmin does not so it has that going for it.

It’s really cool! There’s still a lot more about it to learn. I’m about to head out in a few to see if I can get it synced up to this app. (And I’m hoping the app will be more accurate for me than MMR was.)

6. chasingchels says:

Ok lunchtime yoga sounds amazing. I wish that was an option for me haha. Technically I guess I could do a quick video while the boys are sleeping…maybe I’ll actually give that a try sometime next week. I have a feeling it would be highly beneficial for all haha. That looks like a neat fitness app, too. I’ll have to check that out, although the idea of doing proper push-ups makes me want to cry more than a little. I’m a wholehearted subscriber to the modified version 😉

It is the BEST class and I found it completely on accident when Betty started asking me about taking ballet classes. It’s at a local dance studio and I swear it’s the best yoga class EVER! Just any kind of exercise that lets you clear your head and de-stress in the middle of the day is worth it. I do videos while my daughter naps on the weekends. 🙂

I have a fitbit that I really enjoy. They’re also releasing an app that allows you to use it as a running tracker with your phone. But I think anything that uses your phone may have the same problem that I had with runkeeper which is that the GPS in your phone isn’t always that accurate. My 6.2 mile run on Saturday (according to a Garmin watch) was more than 9 miles on the phone app 😦 I’ve only had one or two yoga classes that start in Savasna but I really liked them. I feel like it was so helpful, especially since I go to class during my lunch break from work and still feel frazzled with work stuff usually.

Yeah that’s what I’m worrying about with this tracker too. I never tried Runkeeper, but I have heard similar stories about it and also I did have issues with Map My Run being WAY off. Something about the GPS points. I’m interested to see how they match up today.

8. Elizabeth says:

Those apps look really interesting. I’m going to have to look into them although the push up one does sound exhausting with having to touch your nose to the ground! What if I put a book under the phone is that cheating? Hahaha

I actually use Runtastic Pro and I really like it! I had downloaded it a long time ago, forgot I had it, and reloaded it to my phone recently. Love the British accents! Also, I NEED that push up reminder. And squats. And all of it. I can’t wait to hear more about this Orbit thing!

After taking it out today I think I’m going to need the PRO version. There are a couple options that the unpaid one does not have that would have been useful. But otherwise it seemed pretty good. The GPS matched up well enough to the Garmin!

It was pretty much right on the money today! There is a paid version of the app that has some features I would like to have though that the free one does not. I am on the fence about getting it since I do have the Garmin though.

10. RunCrush says:

My arms are shaking just thinking about doing a push up that would require me to tap my phone with my nose. Guess I haven’t been doing them quite right…sigh. A new goal to add to my fitness list! 10 REAL pushups!

11. runawaybridalplanner says:

Great job on your fitness steps! I use a fitbit One and I love it, its so fun to compete with myself each day:) I also compete with my 9 year old niece who has one, and I am sad to say she kicks my butt more days than I beat her, LOL
    Loving those lobster pants, so fun!!!

12. Run Colby Run says:

Are those Lily Pulitzer Lobsters?!?!?!? They are even more fantastic than I had imagined! And they look fabulous on you. Now that is quite a device! I need an app that will track my sleep. Then yell at me or knock me unconscious. I am failing at sleep lately and it shows. Lookit you with all of your Ambassadorships! So impressed Salt. Your my Blogging Idol. 🙂

Yes they most certainly are! Thank you! I have had these pants for years and I have to wear them with a pin to make them fit now, but I still love them the most. The sleep thing is really pretty scary. The first couple days I did okay, but then it was like “you are 66% sleep efficient” and that’s would pretty much be like getting a D in sleep.

You are the nicest ever. Thank you. ❤

13. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

Very cute pants! That looks like a very cool app too! And you are making me once again really want to do yoga! But, something has to give and not sure I have time or that now would be a good time to start! I’ll stick to stretching for now but yoga is on my radar.

Thank you! Even a little bit at home can help so much. That’s what I did for pretty much the entire end of my marathon training since I had a hard time fitting it in anywhere else. I definitely prefer the studio though.

14. themilereport says:

HAHA omg I thought your pants had spikes on them. …nope, just the sink drawer handles.

Those runtastic apps sound cool. I don’t think my push ups are anywhere near low enough, ha

15. Sarah says:

I use mapmy run- mostly so I can see a map of where I am. I am direction challenged sometimes!
    I’ve never began a class with it but I love it at the end of class. It’s my only 5-10 minutes of the day my mind is completely clear!

I use MMR on the computer just so I have a general idea of where I can go to make a certain distance so I won’t be a slave to my watch while I’m out there. It’s a great website! I just had really bad luck with their GPS tracking.

16. nevie b. says:

Sometimes it is so overwhelming, the number of different apps and YouTube workouts that are available out there to wrap my mind around! This is a good breakdown. Also I am insanely jealous you can go to yoga on your lunch breaks. My version of savasana on lunch is curling up in the front seat of my car – I only get 30 minutes 😦

TOTALLY overwhelming. I usually stick with the same two channels on YouTube for all my fitness needs. I’m glad to have found these though! They are quick and I love anything that tracks my progress.

Boooo 30 minutes for lunch! I’m sorry. That’s pretty ridiculous. 😦

17. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

hahahah I love those pants! When I visited Boston I tried on all sorts of lobster stuff but of course I didn’t buy anything (dumb!). Those are adorable and I love how from far away you can’t even tell what they are! What a good idea starting in corpse pose – yoga has been really influential in my thinking lately. I haven’t even been practicing much (uh try once a week, maybe) but I work with a lot of instructors now and their energy alone is amazing. They really make you think…yoga is definitely a practice made to help people emotionally as much as it is physically.

I totally agree. I used to have a lot of anxiety problems years ago and started doing yoga as a way to manage them so I could stop taking anti-anxiety medication. I can’t even describe how beneficial it has been for me in so many ways! Even going once a week can be so helpful and I’m so glad you are getting those positive yoga vibes from the atmosphere you work in now!

It would be awesome if you could do the ENTIRE class in Savasana 🙂 That would be my preference! That gadget looks awesome! I can’t wait to hear about it! And I will definitely be checking out those apps! I need all the help I can get to remind me to do squats and pushups!

Hahaha, how did you know I was picturing you snot sobbing into the instructors shoulder??!?! But yes, I have had some classes where we started and ended in Savasana. It’s always AMAZING to feel the difference of how you feel each time. I mean, it’s night and day!
    And ha, I first thought the drawer handles in your lobster pic were buckles on the outside of your sweet pants. You should add some!
    I use Nike+. I have their tomtom watch. It works pretty well. But I’m open to options!

Haha Karen thought the same thing! Maybe I do need to add some buckles to those pants! That would be styletastic. 🙂

And I knew you would think I cried. HA! I didn’t! Although it would probably be a more appropriate time for me to than other times I’ve cried (ie: on the side of the road).

OMG THOSE PANTS! I love crazy prints! I usually wear totally plain clothes and then have a crazy printed scarf or shoes. My husband just bought me sailboat patterned TOMS and I’m in love with them! Anyways, that new app sounds cute and I’m so jealous that you got to try that new product out! I’m kind of curious about my sleep patterns I also kind of don’t want to know how bad it really is.

I love sailboats and TOMS. I bet those are super cute! The sleep pattern thing is weird. Creepy, but cool. You will be pleased to know that I was 93% efficient last night!

Wow, those pushups with the app sound incredibly tough! I’m not sure I could do a single one 🙂

And love the pants – everyone should have at least one crazy print in their closet!