Going “long” and other weekend highlights.

I’m so happy that I can use the word “highlight” when describing my first attempt at a ‘long’ run in well over a month.

As you guys know – or maybe you don’t if this is the first time you’re reading my blog…WELCOME! – last week I was recommended surgery by this podiatrist I went to see about an entrapped nerve in my foot. Despite all this he told me I could run if I felt I could tolerate it.

chuck12

And that is happening in less than 2 weeks. The course for Chuck12 runs along one of the most well-known roads in Baltimore and everyone I know who ran it last year said it was so much fun. I’ve long since given up on the idea that I’ll be trying for a decent time; I just want to have fun, finish it, and since this is the final jewel in Charm City Run’s B3 triple crown, I want to collect my medal.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so nervous before a run in my life as I was on Saturday morning. My alarm went off at 6am which is considerably earlier than I would normally wake up for an 8 miler. Mr. Salt has to leave for work at around 8 and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to make any necessary adjustments/take walk breaks/drag my leg behind me/etc. I had a couple different routes planned just in case I needed to cut it short and my phone just in case I absolutely could not get it done and needed to call for a ride.

As it turned out, I didn’t need any extra help and finished with plenty of time to spare.

8miler

The best part was that it didn’t feel terrible. I took my time, there were no major issues, I didn’t feel any physically worse for wear afterward, and of course mentally I felt like a million bucks. Mile 8 was my fastest and I felt as if I could have kept going, but at that point I was already back to my house and didn’t want to push it.

I’m pretty confident that I will make it through Chuck12 and then I will really REALLY deserve that medal.

The best parts of the rest of the weekend included swimming with Betty’s Nana (who also so happens to be my mom) and then ALL THE BRUNCH. I missed the brunch photo opp on Saturday because I was too busy trying to keep Wreck-It Betty from destroying the restaurant, but I can tell you that it was a chicken, goat cheese, and asparagus egg white omelette. It was to die for even though I could barely taste it from having to eat it so fast, as one sometimes must do while out with their 2 year old.

There was also a mimosa involved because crazy 2 year old.

I made sure to take a picture of Sunday brunch though because I know the Internet really cares a lot about what I eat.

brunch

Drooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Those crepes are stuffed full of fresh strawberries and topped with cinnamon, powdered sugar, and organic strawberry yogurt. Then homemade granola, and then that is the best lemon poppyseed muffin I’ve ever tasted. They have a new “Muffin of the Day” and I’ve never been disappointed by it. This restaurant is called FirstWatch and it is a chain, so if there happens to be one near you, GO THERE. I promise you will love it.

After brunch a complete miracle occurred in the form of Betty taking a nap. Mr. Salt also wanted to take a nap, but I can’t nap in the middle of the day or else I won’t be able to sleep at night. It’s a curse, really.

So instead I went and got a long overdue pedicure.

pedi

I felt so badly for the poor guy that had to deal with my feet that I tipped extra. He was awesome anyway. Usually I stick with dark colors, but he told me that I could pick a brighter one if I wanted and he would make sure it masked my zombie toe. He wasn’t kidding.

soles

You tell me I can go bright? I go bright. The fact that they ended up matching my PR Soles exactly is purely a weird coincidence.

What is your favorite thing to eat for brunch? (I feel like I’ve been talking about food on here a lot lately!) Have you ever been to a FirstWatch? Did you run this weekend?

Whatever you got into, I hope it was fun and fantastic. Let’s make this a GREAT week! (I’m going to legally change my middle name to OPTIMISM.)

82 thoughts on “Going “long” and other weekend highlights.

1. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

Very nice run! Running without pain (or with a lot less pain) is seriously the best feeling after taking a break due to injury. And I love that you got a pedicure too! I don’t even get them at all because it feel pointless but at this point it might be necessary and worth the shame and apologies 🙂

Thanks! I had to keep reminding myself as I went to take it slow, but just getting out there at all felt so phenomenal and total bonus that it wasn’t a painful experience. I still have work to do…I had to be really careful with how I was placing my foot and I’m excited to run again without having to think about those kinds of things, but I definitely think it was a step in the right direction!

Definitely worth the shame. My feet felt phenomenal afterward. Usually when I go the pedicurist just says “runner?” or like yesterday he asked if I dropped something heavy on my foot. Um. No.

Yay for the long run … I am starting to see more of my injured friends making strides (pun!) towards doing some running, and it is awesome!

I love that your nails match your PR Soles – I assumed it was intentional 🙂

I had a great long run (21.55) on Saturday then we did a challenging hike on Sunday … great weekend!

Hehe I giggled. I love puns. Thank you! 🙂
      I didn’t realize the matching until this morning when I put my soles on at the gym! It was a fun surprise. I LOVE those hiking pics! You’ve inspired me to try to get out on a hike soon!

3. Cynthia says:

Great run! So happy for you that you were able to do it! Thanks for the restaurant tip- I’ve never been to Firstwatch, but I looked and there’s one around here! I’ll be checking it out 🙂

4. Run Colby Run says:

She’s back baby! I am THRILLED to hear about your long run! And more thrilled knowing you didn’t have to schedule an amputation afterwards. I myself am MORTIFIED to go for a pedicure. I am less 2.5 toenails. So, so nasty. I can’t even deal. I am sitting here at work, DROOLING over that lemon poppy seed muffin. That’s my all time favorite flavor. Period the end.

Here’s to muffins and healthy paws! xoxox

Haha I wouldn’t say I’m ENTIRELY back, but I’m definitely more back than I was. It just felt so damn good to run again! Just have the pedicurist do what they do for my non-existent baby toenail…paint the skin. (They always look so confused by my poor sad baby toe.)

I think I might have to stalk their muffin of the day menu just so I can make sure I’m there for lemon poppyseed day again! I wish I could mail you one! xoxo

5. Harold L. Shaw says:

Great to hear that you were able to run longer with not be the worse for wear :-). Sometimes it isn’t the physical part of the long run that we need – the mental time of just being out there putting one foot in front of the other for an hour or two is something once we experience we crave. Time/speed are not important sometimes – it is more important to just be able to run and smile afterwards 🙂

Lemon Poppy Seed muffins are amoung my favorite, especially my wife’s homemade ones.

I haven’t had many lemon poppyseed muffins in my life, but this one will be hard to beat! Although I bet your wife’s is probably the best. I love homemade. 🙂

Thank you so much! It definitely was the mental release I needed this weekend. I dealt with whatever else the rest of the day threw at me so much more gracefully after that run!

yay for your run! I’m so happy that it went well, and I am definitely digging the toenail polish. And those crepes…. yes. I like both sweet and savory for brunch, but I would be most happy with a brunch tasting plate–a mini sided version of everything.

THANK YOU! ❤ I think it might be the most crazy neon color I've ever chosen. I wish that First Watch would just give me a mini sampling of everything on the menu. It takes me like 20 minutes to decide what to order there.

7. Brianna @ I run He tris says:

First off, I’m really glad to know that I’m not alone in having a child that just doesn’t sit still in a restaurant! That’s awesome you were able to get in a good 8-miler. You will deserve that medal!! I ran a slow 7 miles on Saturday morning which is my longest run in awhile (been focusing on speed lately) so I was happy with it! Love the yellow- I always feel bad for the person that has to touch my feet too! 🙂

She definitely has her good and bad days. Saturday was a BAD day haha. Thank you so much! And I’m really loving this pedicure color. It’s nice to know I can go bright now and people won’t be able to tell my toe is black.

8. prettylittlerunner says:

Brunch is my favorite…. I love mimosas AND bloody Mary’s…. There’s a local restaurant pits bacon in the bloodys, how can you go wrong! But my favorite thing to eat is stuffed French toast…yes a billion calories. And bacon…with at least one of the above cocktails..lol.

Brady is good in restaurants, Ella? Well, she’s 1.5… She’s a busy body like me and refuses to sit still…. Well earned mimosa;)

9. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

You kicked ass! As usual! I think that seems like a good portent for your foot being helped by ART.

I’ve been afraid to get a pedicure because of my runner toes, but now maybe I’ll go and get neon toenails. My husband will hate it — bonus! Did you ask your nail tech to leave your callouses alone? That’s one thing I’ve wondered about since I started running and neglecting my feet’s beauty.

Yay for the good long run! Your brunch looks delicious 🙂 The last time I got a pedicure I was yelled at by the person for the state of my feet (and that was before I even began running) so I’m too scared to go back now!

11. runningschlub says:

So glad you got out for a run. I would of felt like a million bucks after as well. Wreck It Betty, love it! Totally stealing that for my kids lol.

Hooray for running! I’m sure you’re gonna rock the Chuck12. My favorite brunch item is home fries. I love me some zesty potatoes. I also really really like french toast, but only if there’s real maple syrup involved.

So glad to hear you had a good run! You will totally make it through the 12 miler if you can just bust out 8 like that! I still haven’t signed up…I should probably decide for sure if I’m doing it, since its like less than 2 weeks away!

Yay! I’m so happy you were able to run 8 miles and feel good! I just about died when I saw the picture of your bfast so my first instinct was to click on that link and type in my zip code to see if they have any in AZ and they do and now my Monday is made thanks to you :). I love to have a mix of sweet and salty stuff for breakfast. I look forward to it so much after a race!

15. northernambitions says:

haha I’m all for bright nail polish especially on the toes and especially in summer. Looks great! And I saw on instagram you did an awesome run. Yah, I’m so happy for you! I can only imagine how good it felt after all the pain and diagnosis with your foot,

16. Annmarie says:

Your breakfast looks fantastic and I am so happy you had a great run!
    I also can’t nap during the day so I would have opted for a pedicure as well…love the color! I never go bright because I am always nervous to but you may have inspired me to pick out something flashy next time 🙂
    The Chuck12 sounds like a blast, have fun collecting your bling!!!

Thank you so much! I wish I could enjoy naps, but it screws me all up for the rest of the day. I’m so happy to have inspired you to go BRIGHT!! Now that I know I can cover my gross nails, I think I might go bright all the time. 🙂

17. chasingchels says:

Omg first off, YAY for running!!! That went well!!! I’m so psyched to hear it and cannot wait to hear how the 12 miler goes! You have more than earned that medal 🙂 And first watch is one of our favorites!! Soooo good. I go there or IHOP after races (depending on time and hunger level…IHOP gets us in faster if it’s an emergency), and I adore their pancakes! Now you made me want to go there this weekend haha. Love the toes too! Bright colors are my fav 🙂

Yeah First Watch is definitely not a place to go if you are having a breakfast emergency. It takes a little while to get into the one here too. I wish we had an IHOP close by! I am long overdue for pancakes. 🙂 Thank you so much, friend!

18. runningbostonandbeyond says:

My favorite thing to eat for brunch is spinach pizza. Delish. Yours sounds good, but would be better if I could choke down strawberries. I’m in tri training so went on a 40 mile bike ride and an 8 mile run Sunday. I’m a new follower, so don’t know much about your foot thing except your last few posts, but glad you got through your miles in a great pace!!! You’ll rock that race 🙂

19. bluecoyotelifecoaching says:

I’m a diner girl (that comes with living in the NY / NJ metro area, I think) which means breakfast is a 24 hour option. My daughter is either an angel or a horror show in a restaurant and sadly I never know which child is going to show up until we’ve been seated.

So glad your run went well!

We have a couple diners in the area that I don’t get to enough. I love how varied their menus are! Thank you so much!! 😀 Hehe your daughter definitely sounds like mine.

20. themilereport says:

YAYYYY 8 miles!! I went 6 today without pain–though physically it felt like a 20-miler because I am so out of running shape.

I’e been to First Watch a few times, but I always struggle ordering when I go out to breakfast/bruch–I’m more of a sandwich person and never know what sort of breakfast food to get. BUT I’ve heard fabulous things about their muffins

My favorite brunch is an omelet…preferably with goat cheese, arugula and sundried tomatoes!!

22. Rebecca Jo says:

Those are some BRIGHT toes! Love it!
    I’m glad you found some confidence… it always is a better run when you already know & believe you’re going to do great! 🙂

Hehe thanks! I’m trying to get that same confidence for the short little run I’m planning on doing while on my break today. I really do miss not having to worry about these things!

23. Elizabeth says:

I ended up going to First Watch for the first time this weekend as well! I went to a location in Pittsburgh because I was visiting my sister. Those crepes look so yum! I got the Key West Crepeggs which was perfect as I was wanting something savory that day!

Yay for a great run, it’s always great when you do better than expected

I LOVE THAT! So funny that we both had breakfast at the same spot in different cities! And it was definitely a confidence booster. No matter what I feel like I’ll make it through the race in a couple weeks.

Yay! Glad you got to run! And yes, the brightness totes distracts from your frankentoe! And those crepes look grete! I love post run brunch!!! After you visit here, I need to schedule a runcation up your way!

Thanks! You can barely tell that Frankentoe is there unless you look really close! We have to make these runcations happen. They will be full of tacos and crepes.

Mmmmm brunch! I loooove breakfast foods! My coworkers and I have started eating “second breakfast” because we eat breakfast at 6:00 am and then get hungry again by like 10:00. But instead of eating something healthy we end up with donuts or cinnamon rolls because we have no self control. I seriously should not have a blog about anything health-related because I am the worst role model ever. BUT your breakfast looks awesome and I wish we had one of those around here! And it’s awesome that you had such a good long run! It looks like you should be in great shape for the race!

That sounds like a glorious plan. I often make breakfast for dinner at home. One cannot have too much breakfast. 🙂 Cinnamon rolls sound like an excellent decision to me. 🙂 Thanks, love! I hope you’re right!

26. irishrunnerchick says:

Great news about your pain-free run! It always feels so good to get back out there. And I have to say that brunch is definitely America’s greatest gift to the world. I usually get eggs Benedict or a breakfast burrito.

Thanks! I just can’t wait until I don’t have to think so much about how I’m running when I’m running. It gets mentally exhausting!

Eggs benedict is awesome and there is a place around here that makes them with crab. SO GOOD. (We have lots of crab dishes here in Maryland.)

Hooray for long runs and pedicures and brunch! I am so excited to see that you got a good long one in. That is the absolute best feeling in the world after an injury. I could jump up and down for you right now. But I am stuck looking at that delicious brunch!

It was definitely a good weekend filled with happy things. 🙂 I’m excited to get more and more healed up so I don’t have to focus so much of my energy on how I’m putting my feet down when I run. I just want to RUN. But for now, I’m getting it done and it’s just such a huge relief. 🙂

28. Pip {Cherries & Chisme} says:

Congrats on the run! So good when you think you’re gonna have to be rescued but survive the whole way, such a great feeling! That brunch looks epic, can’t beat a classic plate of pancakes in my opinion! Oh and all the coffee… Obviously.

ALL the coffee. That’s another of my favorite things about First Watch. They give you your own personal pot. Needless to say I always drink the whole thing. 🙂

29. Laura @ the gluten-free treadmill says:

Congrats on your run – that is simply amazing! And I love that nail color! I’m overdue for a pedi, but with how much I run (not to mention toenails that never look normal) it seems like something I just can’t splurge on. Especially when I need new shoes!

I’m totally in the same boat. This was my first pedicure since April haha. My feet have just been through such hell lately that I felt they deserved it. 🙂 Thank you, friend!

30. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

YAYYYY!! Sorry I’ve been blog absent for so long but I’m happy to hear that you’re running again!! Even injured you’re way faster than me speedy mama! And it is quite cruel to show us photos of food that looks that good and to not share…just sayin’, sharing is caring.

Yay! So glad to hear your weekend miles were a success! Sounds like you are definitely ready to take on your next race and collect that medal 🙂

And OMG, your brunches sound delicious! I love pretty much anything with goat cheese and those crepes look fantastic. Drooling over here in MKE 🙂