Life is just a bowl of cherries! {And a chiro update.}

photo 2

I went just about 36 years without much fruit in my diet at all outside of the occasional smoothie. Actually I talked about this not too long ago when I suddenly became obsessed with apples and needed to know all about which kinds I should try. Thank you for all the suggestions, by the way. My favorites so far are Pink Lady and Gala and I’ve been eating an apple as a snack almost every day.

Since then I’ve been so much more open minded about trying new things and Mr. Salt has been bringing home all sorts of fruit for me to sample. I’ve had…

• Peaches: The smell alone makes my stomach turn and I can’t get past it. It reminds me too much of this nauseating Body Shop fuzzy peach perfume my friends used to wear in middle school.
  • Nectarines: AKA: Non-fuzzy peaches. I managed to bite into one and didn’t die from it, but the smell was too similar to peaches for me to be able to enjoy it.
  • Watermelon: Meh. I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat it by itself, but it tastes good when paired with other things such as cottage cheese. I think pretty much everything goes with cottage cheese.
  • Pears: NO. Maybe I got a bad one, but I hated it.
  • Red Seedless Grapes: We have these in the house all the time now. So good.
  • Oranges: Tasty!

And quite a few others. Then last night he arrived home with a bag of some of the biggest cherries I’ve ever seen. Apparently cherries are expensive (?) so he doesn’t usually buy them, but when he stopped to get milk on his way home he saw that these were on sale and thought they would be good for Betty’s lunch. She LOVES cherries.

As he stood at the kitchen counter de-pitting them, he handed me one. I was skeptical. These cherries were intimidating. But I didn’t want him to make fun of me, so I accepted it and bit off a tiny piece.

Fireworks

TASTE EXPLOSION!

I was instantly hooked, but I also wondered…how healthy are these exactly? The only experience I had with cherries before last night was with the maraschino variety that they put on ice cream and in cocktails and those are LOADED with sugar. As it turns out, there is a huge difference between those sweet little cocktail cherries and the gargantuan ones in my house. They are packed with vitamins A and C, iron, calcium, fiber, contain virtually no sodium or fat and are a great low-cal snack!

I never would have dreamed how beneficial cherries could be to your diet…especially the diet of a runner!

Cherries for Runners

• They help keep you trim and fit. Cherries contain B vitamins crucial to your metabolism. Plus as I mentioned above, they are low in calories, but pack a lot of fiber so as a snack they leave you feeling fuller, longer.
  • They can aid sleep. If you are anything like me, you might get race-induced insomnia before a big event. Cherry juice could help you sleep a little easier! From a study: Participants drank 30ml of cherry juice 30 minutes after waking and 30 minutes before their evening meal, thereby boosting their exogenous melatonin intake by 85mcg/day.
  • They combat post workout soreness. Cherries/cherry juice contains anthocyanins that are thought to significantly reduce muscle inflammation. This study shows that if you run long distances you are probably destined to be sore afterward, but the cherry juice group reported less post-run pain.
  • And speaking of anthocyanins… These are also thought to prevent cancer, and encourage healthy circulation. And proper nerve function.

PROPER NERVE FUNCTION.

I’m about to eat all the cherries in the whole world.

Oh and after talking to my daughter’s teacher this morning I learned that cherries are delicious when frozen and then dropped in a glass of wine. I know what I’m doing later.

How do you feel about cherries? Do you remember that fuzzy peach perfume!?

Also I would like to thank everyone for the kind comments and great suggestions left on yesterdays post. At first I was going to hold off on posting about that appointment until I could process the news a little better, but now I’m so glad I wrote it right away. You guys are so helpful!

Now for some better news:

I went back to Dr. Dave (my chiro) armed with my new diagnosis. He checked out my leg and foot and told me that I’ve already improved 10-fold since I first went in to see him. (Which I believe. My leg is better.) Anyway he wants me to trust him and he said that he can fix it without surgery if I just stick with him for a minute. He did the ART method that a couple of you mentioned (thanks, Judith and Annmarie!) and used an ultrasound on my foot. I go back to see him again on Tuesday.

Last night I dug my old Merrell hiking sandals out of the closet that are still full of dirt from playing around in streams in California, but at least they are much more supportive than flip flops and I can still have open toes on these hot summer days. Hopefully the fact that Dr. Neuro is on vacation for the next couple weeks and the surgery wouldn’t be able to be scheduled right away anyway is a blessing in disguise and I’ll be able to get this under control before any invasive measures are needed. And if it does come to that well then I guess I’ll just cross that bridge when I come to it.

Anatomical Nightmare Salt

Also I just want to remind everyone that I am not a nutritionist or fitness instructor so as always whatever info I post on here about certain foods or workouts are things that I have researched on my own and found interesting. Take what I say with a grain of salt. Pun totally intended.

96 thoughts on “Life is just a bowl of cherries! {And a chiro update.}

1. Mommy_CanRun says:

I love apples and mandarin oranges (cuties brand are the best!).
    Favorite apples are honeycrisp, gala and Fuji. Need to attempt cottage cheese again. Had it yrs ago and thought it was gross. Strawberries and grapes are another favorite of mine.

A way I eat fruit I’m not crazy about is with some Nutella 🙂

2. Harold L. Shaw says:

So glad that the Chiro is working for you and that Mac might not have to come visit. Conservative and non-invasive is always the better option when it works 🙂 Good luck and yes cherries are da bomb so to say. Only problem is that after harvest they are too darned expensive 😦

I would like to avoid a date with Mac at all costs!! Thank you. 🙂 I had no idea that cherries were pricey until my husband informed me last night. I’m kind of surprised by this.

3. laurelleg says:

I’m not a big fan of cherries. I also don’t like bananas so I think that makes me a little weird. If I had to choose one food to eat for the rest of my life it would hands down be strawberries. I can never get enough of them!
    I hope the chiro works out so you don’t need surgery! Good luck!

I hate the smell of bananas, but I’m also allergic to them so I don’t eat them anyway. It’s a really convenient thing after a race when that’s all they give the runners. I love strawberries too!

Thank you so much! I really hope it works out too. He seemed pretty positive so we’ll see!

LOL! glad you are feeling better 🙂 I absolutely love cherries. I too am not a fan of the peach/nectarine family… just, ew – no. But my favorite fruit is grapefruit, followed by grapes, apples, pears (yes, I saw your reaction to those) and mangoes. I’m allergic to oranges (bizarre, but I dislike them anyway). You, my friend have a marvelous weekend! I’ll tell my Steelers kickeryou said hello 😉

I haven’t tried grapefruit yet! I have vague memories of hating grapefruit juice so I’ve been putting that one off. I’m beginning to think maybe I just got a crappy pear because everyone else seems to love them.

You definitely pass on that hello from me! And I know I don’t have to tell you to have fun this weekend because obviously it will be awesome. I so wish the Ravens did something like that!

Not into watermelon? Then you probably wouldn’t want to try it with salt. Salted Watermelon is one of my favorite things in the summer.

Cherries are good and unfortunately expensive. It’s a shame that it’s typically the “good for you foods” that aren’t always within budget.

Yeah Dr. Dave! I hope it all works out. I want to see you back to your old running self!

It was one of those things that I didn’t really love or hate. I just felt sort of meh about it. I would definitely give it a shot again with salt on it if you think it’s good that way! I had no idea that cherries were so pricey until last night! Obviously I would have to love them then haha.

Dr. Dave is my hero today. I just hope he was telling me the truth. 🙂 Thank you, friend!

6. A Brand New Ending Blog says:

Good timing to see this post about cherries! I admitted to coworkers at lunch yesterday that I have never tried a cherry! I am not sure what it is about a cherry, but it just makes me nervous. Maybe it is time to give it a shot!

7. afastpacedlife says:

Cherries are one of my favorite fruits, especially Rainier cherries (the yellowish-blush colored ones), which are even more expensive than red cherries. A part of what makes me love cherries so much is that you can only have them in the summer.

I love pears, but it’s really easy to get a bad pear.

What are fruits are next? Kiwis and mangoes?

I haven’t tried those yet – because obviously I just ate my first one yesterday – but now I’ll have to. Even if they are expensive. 🙂 I’m thinking kiwi is going to be next. I have been eying them up on all my shopping trips. Time to take the plunge.

I love cherries and I had no idea they were so good for you! The idea of dropping frozen cherries in wine sounds great. I’m glad the most recent doctors visit confirmed the improvement and I hope everything continues to improve 🙂

9. The running Schlub says:

So awesome your trying all these new fruits. Very important that Betty sees you try new things so she is willing to do the same. The rule in our house is you have to at least try something. If it doesn’t taste good you don’t have to finish it. It has been wonderful. Good news about the foot/leg, hopefully your running soon.

That’s part of the reason I knew I had to start doing it. I don’t want her to be so picky growing up like I was. Right now she will try any fruit that you put in front of her so that’s awesome!

We have that rule in our house too. I tell her that I love her and I’m not going to feed her gross things haha. I think she’s starting to believe me.

10. chasingchels says:

Mom good news for sure!! That’s awesome that your chiro thinks he can help with no surgery! Fingers crossed for sure! And good to know cherries are so good for you! I love them and have been eating them non stop since trader Joes has them a little cheaper!

11. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs says:

OMG cherries are amazeballs. They’re totally my favourite and I also rarely buy them because they’re effing expensive.
    HOWEVER, I may justify them because they’re good for runners. Heh.

I’m so glad you have an awesome chiro. I, too, ❤ my chiro and massage therapist and totally trust them with my running body 🙂

That is exactly the excuse I’m going to use with my husband if he tries to argue with me about buying them. As time goes on I’m starting to feel a lot more trustworthy toward the chiro than other doctors I’ve seen. I feel like they tend to jump to conclusions without trying other methods out first.

I’ve never had a “real” cherry before! Just the kind on top of an ice cream sundae and frozen cherries when making a smoothie. I really want to try one now! I’m so happy that your chiro wants to do everything in his power before surgery has to become the only option…I don’t like “knife-happy” doctors… 🙂

You need to! I bet you will absolutely love them. They are delicious. 🙂
      I am totally with you and it really bugged me that the guy would jump to that after only seeing me for like 15 minutes. I know that I’ve been hurting a little while, but there has to be other things that I haven’t tried yet!

13. Run Colby Run says:

I’M ALL ABOUT TART CHERRY JUICE! Those little tart ones pack a super punch!! Love, love ’em. And all kinds of fruit. By the truckload. I am so thrilled you’re branching out Miss Salt! Re: Your bum paw? See what happens over Dr. Neuro’s Vacay. Pour yourself a glass of tart cherry juice (Scratch that. Pour yourself a glass of wine with frozen cherries….) and play it by ear. xoxoxoxo

Maybe his vacation was meant to be for me and my foot. I think delicious cherries in wine will definitely help keep my mind off it. Oooooo in SPARKLING wine even. This could be dangerous. 🙂

Cherries are insanely awesome this year in general and right now in particular! We’ve gone through two big things full since coming home from vacation (and I’ll get more when I go shopping tomorrow!).

I said it before, I am a total fruit-aholic … just love them all!
    – Peaches, I am alone eating them in my house. Always loved them, and they were excellent this season (which has really just peaked).
    – Nectarines – I prefer peaches, but got some last week due to a great sale at Sam’s Club … had one before we got the robo-call with the info about huge supplies infected with Listeria … ugh, back they went, will skip them for the rest of the season.
    – Pears … I’ve written about my love of pears. There are a number of types, and a couple I find rather fibrous and flavorless – but I love, love, love them and always have them on hand as a snack. Or with lunch right now 🙂

Hopefully good news with the foot … hard with all of the back & forth between doctors … good luck and stay strong!

WHY DID I NOT LOVE FRUIT SOONER!? I feel like I’ve been missing out all my life. 🙂 That’s how I felt about the pear I tried. It had a weird texture. I didn’t like it. Maybe I need to try a different pear.

I’ve decided for the time being I’m going to just trust Dr. Dave. It’s not like I am doing anything else right now besides waiting around. 🙂

15. Alexis T (@runcrush) says:

LOVE cherries. They are usually expensive, so I’ve been enjoying them while they’ve been on sale! The only fruit I really can’t stand is honeydew. And really any kind of melon. Blech. Glad you probably won’t need surgery! That’s excellent news.

16. karen G says:

I can’t even relate to not liking fresh peaches or watermelon in the summertime! 😉 But I could easily eat an entire bag of fresh cherries in one sitting.
    Sounds like things are looking up today! Glad to hear it, and I hope they continue to improve, (and without surgery)!

I almost ate the whole bag last night, but was nice enough to save some for the rest of my family. 🙂
      Thank you so much! I am definitely feeling more positive today. Dr. Dave seemed REALLY optimistic and it was infectious. I just want to avoid this stupid surgery and I’m really glad I called him and they were able to fit me in yesterday.

17. michelle says:

Oh yay for good news from doc! I think we’re gonna need a follow up post about this whole frozen cherry in wine business.

18. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! says:

Yes, frozen grapes and cherries are GREAT to keep wine chilled without watering it down. So happy you’ve started enjoying fruit! PS Pears suck. I am totally with you on that, the texture is just all wrong! My BIL would disagree, he’s obsessed with them.

Okay I’m a dolt because frozen grapes should make perfect sense. FINALLY someone else who doesn’t like pears! I feel like everyone loves them and it made me wonder if I just got a nasty one. I did not get the hype at all.

19. janemariee says:

My running coach says that tart cherries are one of the best foods you can eat for muscle recovery. I make smoothies with tart cherry juice for after long runs a lot.

20. Andi says:

How do you pit a cherry? I’d love to give them to G but I don’t trust him not to swallow the pit. Off to Dr. Google!

And we have been devouring pineapple this summer. cut it into chunks and drizzle with lime juice=sensational.

Cut it right down the middle and pull the pit out! I was also informed by Betty’s teacher this morning (this teacher ROCKS btw) that you can get this thing at Walmart for a couple bucks that de-pits cherries for you.

I’m a little nervous about pineapple because apparently it is related to banana somehow and I have that allergy, but we usually have it in the house for B. I should give it a taste-test that way. Sounds really good!

21. Piper's Run says:

We are totally digging cherries in our house lately – both girls love them and my husband came home with a LARGE bag the other day too. I didn’t know all those benefits – thanks for sharing. Funny….when I saw the cherry, I thought about your apple post 🙂

Cherries are one of the very few fruits I love unconditionally–they’re so yummy! And I like removing the pit with my tongue 🙂

So glad to hear Dr. Dave thinks your injuring can be healed non-surgically! Fingers crossed!

23. Rebecca Jo says:

So glad you have someone who’s saying they can fix it non-surgically.

My husband just made me try a cherry smoothie last night that I thought I would DIE for! YUM!!!

24. Shawna says:

wait — you went for foreverrrrr without fruit?! it’s prob my fave food ever and i don’t think there’s a single fruit i don’t love. nectarines were always my fave, but i def eat bananas the most often. cherries are delicious in summer! i have fruit every single am for breakfast. welcome to the light side. 🙂 glad you’re healing and hope you keep your chin up as you continue to feel better!

I know I know…it’s very weird. I just never liked it before in my life and at some point I guess my tastes changed and now I can’t get enough! I’m sad I waited this long, but better late than never I guess!

Thank you so much, friend! You are too sweet! ❤

I love cherries. They are pricey but so good. I grew up in an area that considers itself the cherry capitol. That’s even the name of the airport 🙂 Give dried sweet cherries a shot on a salad with goat cheese and nuts. So good!

I actually just brought dried sweet cherries recently as a treat for Betty so I have them in the house and haven’t tried them yet! I’ll give it a go this weekend because I’m sure I’ll be making a salad at some point. Thank you so much!

Great news!! I hope that he is right and surgery isn’t needed!! Ok, as for fruit. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cherries. I love to pit them and then freeze them and eat them with a square of dark chocolate at night as dessert. Antioxidant explosion!! I love nectarines and peaches as well, but i don’t like them mushy, so they have to be like baseballs. That is the only way I will eat them. I’m not a fan of watermelon, but when I ate it with the feta cheese at the fit foodie 5K, it was delicious!

That sounds like the best kind of dessert ever. 🙂 That watermelon at Fit Foodie was the first time I ever tried it paired with something else! I think if I’m going to continue eating it, I just need to match it up with some kind of cheese.

27. Amy says:

I LOVE cherries! I only let myself by them special a couple times a year because, like Mr. Salt noted, they are not friendly on the wallet. I’ve been itchin’ to try the tart cherry juice challenge (basically, you have X amount of cherry juice every day for 7 days), to see if it makes a difference w/ soreness and sleep. I did know the first bullet point you had up there, though, and that only makes me want to try it more!

Cherries ended up still being on sale this weekend so we stocked up again. I’m going to be so sad when that’s over! I’m all about taking that cherry juice challenge as well. 🙂

28. Cynthia says:

Thanks for all the cherry info! I need to eat more of them, I just don’t think of them often. And the frozen in wine sounds interesting 😉 So glad for you to hear that the non-surgery option might work! I know my chiro saved me from the 4 surgeries the orthopedic guy was trying to talk me into.

I never really thought too much about them either until Mr. Salt showed up at home with that bag the other day. Now I’m so glad he did. We were eating them all weekend!

I LOVE hearing that your chiro saved you from 4 surgeries!! That just gives me more hope!

29. fitfoodiemama says:

SO happy to hear you’re feeling a bit better and your sounds like an awesome doc! Those cherries also look pretty amazing and I would love the idea of using frozen ones to keep wine cold 🙂

30. Kate says:

I love nectarines, and they actually have quite a bit of potassium in them so I try to eat them after a run (or any exercise in general). I’m glad you’re eating more fruit 🙂

Glad you found some fruit you enjoy! Just be careful not to pop it! 😉
    I have yet to do ART, but want to. I know from what I’ve read that it huuuuurts. Tough of you to make it through! Hope it works out!
    BTW, I love pears, give em another go!

HAHAHA I had to read your comment like 6 times until I understood it.
      Honestly the ART felt AMAZING. Like the best massage ever. I was fully expecting it to be painful and was shocked when it didn’t. I am really looking forward to it again tomorrow afternoon!

I am also scared of trying new fruits, and I am totally intimidated by cherries! I may need to try some now though! I wish I wasn’t such a food wimp. And that food wasn’t so expensive in Alaska so I wouldn’t be so afraid of wasting money if I don’t like stuff!

I am such a food wimp too. I totally feel you. 🙂 Definitely get some if they happen to ever go on sale though! I’m so bad with stuff like that and I LOVE them. You will probably like them too.

33. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

I’ve been eating cherries lately too! Mostly the Ranier cherries, which are yellow and red. The local regular red ones at the farmers market are a little early and not as sweet, but I’ll try them again this week and see if they’re more in season.

I’m so glad your chiro is trying ART on your foot. Fingers crossed that it resolves your problem.

34. Tina Muir says:

SO glad you are getting ART, that will make a HUGE difference!! Cherries are wonderful recovery foods, so you are helping them AND getting a sweet treat you enjoy! I bought some from a local farmer recently….so juicy! Yum!

I LOVED the first treatment and am so excited to go back!
      Now you’ve got me wondering if they have cherries at a farmers market near me. I need to make a trip over there. 🙂

ok that plan with dr dave makes so much more sense to me. I have found that ART is amazing and has helpe me with all sorts of problems. Since there has been improvement I am glad that he wants to try some other things before jumping to surgery.
    I like alot of different fruits but never think to buy cherries…now that I know how good they are for you I need to start buying them!

I am so relieved to hear you say this. You have no idea how happy I was to hear him say that. I know there has definitely been improvement and it’s a work in progress. I hope this will take care of my issues once and for all!

36. Pip {Cherries & Chisme} says:

YES CHERRIES!! Can you tell they’re my favourite?!?! Hahaha big time love affair here. I like them best frozen and eaten almost like sweets or heated up 🙂 I read once that they’re like a secret super food! Good luck with the new fruits.

37. Jennifer says:

I do not buy cherries as often as I like… they are ranked under several other fruits haha. I love peaches and JUST tried watermelon and goat cheese – yum!

I have a large bowl of cherries in my fridge right now and they are so good. A perfect snack during the summer months. I’ll have to try the frozen cherry in a glass of wine trick – sounds great 🙂