Salt for Brains {Blog Process Writing Tour}

First and foremost I want to thank everyone for the thoughtful and supportive comments left on my post on Friday. Every day I’m feeling more and more confident in my decision and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read and offer advice and commiseration. You all make my day brighter. 🙂

For the past week, some of my most favorite bloggers have publishing posts dedicated to their writing processes and it has been such a cool thing to get a little more insight into what makes them tick. Then I received an email from my friend Mike asking me if I would like to be a part of it and I didn’t even have to think about it for a nanosecond before enthusiastically agreeing! Frankly I’m very honored that he thought to include me. I’ve been following Running Around the Bend since my very early days of blogging and have the utmost respect for Mike. His posts are always thoughtful, insightful, and bring about some really fantastic discussions; it’s so nice to have a strong male voice in our blogosphere that tends to be very female dominated! Plus he is just an all-around cool guy with a lovely family.

So just as with other awards and such that get passed around on our blogs, there is a little outline to follow for the post:

• Acknowledge the blogger/blog that invited you to the Tour. (Thanks again, Mike!)
  • Answer some questions about your blogging process.
  • Choose 3 bloggers to plug, give a short bio and link to their sites.

I’m going to start with my 3 bloggers:

Helly @ Helly on the Run

If you’ve been hanging with me over here for awhile, you have obviously heard me mention Helly once or fifty times. Both of our blogs started right around the same time and this wasn’t by accident; we’ve been friends for several years and made the decision to start blogging after bouncing ideas off each other! Helly one of the most adventurous people I know…it takes a certain kind of person to run back and forth across the Grand Canyon! I’m constantly inspired by her and I’m lucky to have such a supportive friend. She is also mom to two adorable kiddos (our daughters are the same age which is how we came to meet each other in the first place) and she and her husband are pretty much the cutest couple on the planet. I can’t wait to hang out with her in October when she comes over to DC to run in the Marine Corps Marathon!

Amy @ Fitness Meets Frosting

I’m fairly convinced that if Amy and I lived anywhere near each other, we would hang out all the time. She’s absolutely hilarious! I’ve really been enjoying following her running journey – she just recently ran her first sub-2 half and placed in her AG in her first 10K! – and she’s got a lot of other cool stuff going on too like the new house she just bought! (Cue total homeowner envy from me!) She’s also always posting delicious things on her blog and until I met her I had never met anyone as addicted to fro yo as I am.

Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?

You know when you e-meet someone and then later you meet them in person and you’re never really sure if it will be awkward or not because sometimes people are so different online? Cynthia is one of those people that is just as spectacular in real time as she is on her blog. I was so lucky to have gotten the chance to meet and hang out with her at the Fit Foodie event a few weeks ago where we were both Ambassadors. Cynthia is a mom, runner, and kick-ass triathlete. She’s currently fundraising for Ronald McDonald House and will be joining Team Ronald for the NYC Triathlon! And also? She’s running the Baltimore Half so I’m excited to see her again in October!

And now for my questions:

1. What am I working on?
  2. How does my work differ from others of its type/genre?
  3. Why do I write what I do?
  4. How does your writing process work?

What Am I Working On?

Well the main things in life that I’m working on right now are being a cool, engaging mom to Betty and also getting my foot all healed up. As for this place, I’m going to be starting the process of going self hosted very soon. With that will probably come a new blog design so if you happen to come on here one day and it looks totally different, that’s how you’ll know I made the switch.

I’ve also just started working on my fundraising for Cool Kids Campaign and am trying to brainstorm fun, creative ideas for that. Bake sale? Bikini car wash? All possibilities. I just got a new swimsuit last week.

Target is having a sale FYI.

How Does my Work Differ From Others?

Funny story. When I started Run Salt Run I thought I was being SO CREATIVE with the name. And then I started reading other running blogs and discovered that there are literally hundreds of sites called Run So-and-so Run. I considered changing the name, but then I had already gotten pretty involved with all this, plus there is a backstory as to why I picked the name in the first place (which you can read about here).

Anyway, I’m a mom. I run. I do yoga. I love talking about running and yoga and shoes. There are thousands of me out there though I’m pretty sure none of them share a nickname with a popular condiment. I guess the main thing besides the fact that I have a Betty to talk about – and I have the monopoly on that…no one else has a Betty! – that sets me apart from others is my style. I write exactly how I would be talking to you if we were sitting down in a Starbucks somewhere. What you see here is very much what you get in real life with me. If you see an animated gif in a post on here, you can assume I was actually making the face in the gif at some point while I was writing the post.

Why Do I Write What I Do?

Because if I talked about running this much to my husband he might divorce me? I’m kidding. But I did start this blog to spare him and my other non-running friends and family members and over the past 10 months it has become such a fun little space for me to dump my brain. It might actually be keeping me as sane as it’s keeping them.

How Does Your Writing Process Work?

I actually laughed out loud when I read Mike’s response to this question. (“Writing process? What the heck is that!?”) Because yeah. That’s me.

Some of the more organized bloggers may have a set list of topics for the week or outline posts before they write them. That seems so much more efficient than what I do which is sit down at the computer after Betty goes to bed and see what spills out of my brain. Unless I’m linking up with the Friday Five (that would be Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney‘s awesome blog hop…you should join it!) or I just ran a race and I’m doing a recap, or I just got misdiagnosed by another doctor, the vast majority of the time I have no idea what I’m going to write about. I have a ton of ideas floating around in my head; it’s just a matter of which one will come to the surface when I start typing.

If you are considering starting a blog, basically I don’t recommend my on-the-fly “writing process” to anyone. There are much easier and less-stress ways to get the job done.

Photo 69

Moments after this photo was taken, I spilled that coffee all over myself. Happy Monday!

Big thanks again to Mike for including me! There are so many “10 crazy facts about me” type things circulating through the blog world and I just think that this one is so cool and different. I’ve already found some awesome new blogs to read through the process! Don’t forget to check out Running Around the Bend if you haven’t already and make sure to pay the three people I nominated a visit as well. I’m sure you’ll love them as much as I do!

I hope all of you have a great start to your week!

56 thoughts on “Salt for Brains {Blog Process Writing Tour}

1. afastpacedlife says:

You are one cool lady.

I don’t know how people plan out their posts. Mine are all – sit down and spill out my thoughts. I try to spell and grammar check before I post. Even when I do, I don’t catch all the typos.

Thanks for sharing this. I too love Mike and your listed bloggers. All awesome people. I had to laugh at the blog process idea too. At times I have a bulletin board with ideas that pop up because I have a good running list. But normally I am out for a run and something strikes me and I come home and get started. I truly am a running nerd.

3. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

Agree that these questions were cool and different. Really enjoyed reading yours and I can relate to a lot of it…including feeling “unique” when I started and then realizing there are millions of others out there (sort of) like me! Oh well I guess in a way that’s kind of cool 😉 I can also relate to the “oh crap I didn’t plan anything to write…again) feeling and then somehow lucking out and winding up with something that might make sense. Also that my husband would divorce me if I talked about all the running and cooking stuff with him. I think he is still surprised by all I have to say about it on my blog. Great post!

My husband is definitely shocked that I have 5 days worth of stuff to say on here every week. He’s probably also completely relieved that he doesn’t have to hear any of it haha. 🙂

Yay! You may fly by the seat of your pants, but a) they are awesome kitty pants (yes, i still remember them, I think it was the first post I ever read of yours!) b) it works c) it’s you through and through (and that is why it works). These blogs are great because help us to organize our thoughts and get all of our ish out there, and in the process meet other people with the same ish as us! Thus how I came to you, and am forever grateful ❤

I wore them the other day actually when we were having some unseasonably cool weather and got some compliments on them at acupuncture. 🙂 I am forever grateful that we have found each other too. You are a one-of-a-kind awesome friend, Suz!! ❤

Love all of this Lauren, and thanks for the “multi shout out”.

It is a hard thing answering the ‘what makes you unique’ question, because it feels like ‘why should I read you’. And as you note, there are um, several, “Run X Run” blogs around, but that is just a title – what makes this one of my faves is YOU. You have a unique voice and perspective, and are fully willing to own everything good, bad or ugly that happens … and when in doubt you just flash a picture of Betty and it is all good. Oh, and unlike some ‘mommy blogs’ I got in contact with through trips with another site, you don’t pretend that every moment with your child is sunshine and rainbows! haha 🙂

Of course, friend, and thank YOU for including me in this coolness! I have already found some awesome new reads because of this tour. I love it. 🙂

And she can certainly be a little sunshine, but it’s definitely not all the time! Case in point…last week during super moon. It’s crazy how much full moons affect that child and the super moon made her into a little super beast!

I don’t even remember how I came across your blog (not sure if you told me about it or it was linked after we became friends on Facebook, whatevs) but that’s how I discovered all the other awesome running blogs out there. And yes – you totally blog like you speak 🙂 I have the start of several drafted posts to be finished at a later date, but I’m usually just writing on the fly as well. I finish up a draft when I know I’m not going to have a lot of time.

Love your blog ❤

You are much smarter than me haha. Actually this week I sort of have a rough idea of things I might post about on certain days (spoiler alert…Thursday is going to be yet another doctor’s appointment!) and I feel more relaxed about the whole thing. I should do this all the time!

I love YOUR blog and I’m so glad you started it!!

7. prettylittlerunner says:

Sorry I have been out of the loop for a few days… I think choosing the half was a smart choice and you love that race so you can’t go wring! Can I tell you I’m super jealous you are doing the dopey challenge? I wanted to sign up for it soooo bad but it’s right after Christmas break at work and getting the time off may not be so easy… One day I hope….

Thank you, love. I was really sad for a minute, but I’m feeling much better about it now. Especially since my foot is still not better and I’m trying to scramble for answers before this 12 mile run I’m supposed to do in a little over two weeks.

I hope you get to do Dopey one day too! ❤

8. Kirtley says:

Hey Salt! (awesome name by the way)
    Fun post, it’s cool to get to know the insides of your brain!
    Impressive that you’re an on-the-fly-girl.
    That stresses me out haha! I like to have the gist of what I write planned out a week or two ahead–and then if I’m feeling different, go for that instead.
    Keep it up, your blog looks awesome!

Thank you so much! I think that is such a smarter approach to it. 🙂 I actually have a rough idea of my posts for this week and it makes me feel a little more relaxed. Now if I could only stick to that method all the time!

2 mini shout outs in a row – go me!! 😉 kidding, but so glad I fund you – your blog is awesome sauce. And don’t be fooled – we have the Friday Five linkup but that is the only level of organization I have on a regular basis. And don’t get me started on the number of emails back and forth to pick a theme, let alone writing the post 😉 oh. and did you see where I may run Baltimore 5K?!

You deserve all the shout outs in the world!! I’m sad we missed each other in DC yesterday, but now we know we need a Pho date. AND YES I JUST SAW so we are going to need to make some plans for that. Because obviously you have to do it. 🙂 (It will be the perfect pre-MCM run!)

• Mar on the Run! says:

I actually wasn’t in DC yesterday – I was in Boston. That’s why I was bummed… cause if I was here and had seen the post, would’ve marched myself right on down to Pho and crashed the party!

10. Hailey says:

You’re writing process definitely works for you :). I don’t think I’ve ever read a post that hasn’t left me laughing at one point or another. I think we would get along outside of the “blogging world” because of running, Target, and of course, coffee!!

I loved learning more about your blogging process! I always get the feeling that you are writing exactly what you are thinking and I think thats a good thing! Most of the time I just write what I am thinking about that day, but I’ve liked doing some of the link-ups to give myself a little more structure each week. Luckily they all allow me to write pretty much whatever I want anyway! I’m sure you are just as awesome in real life!

The link ups definitely help with that or if I’m having a severe writers block. Plus I’ve found some super cool new blogs that way too. 🙂 Thank you, friend! I’m sure you are too!

12. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

I think I blog to reduce the irritation I foist on my poor husband about whatever I’m obsessing over. His eye do that glaze-over thing when I talk about running.

I’m glad someone else doesn’t really have a writing process like me. Although you are much better at regularly posting than I am. You never are boring!

Well thank you! I don’t really know how to shut up in real life either, so I think that translates onto my blog. I absolutely love everything you post so whatever process you use is most definitely working for you. 🙂

13. The running Schlub says:

Great post, really enjoy reading posts like these because you learn a lot about the writers that we follow. Although I’m calling shenanigans on nominating Helly since you plug her A TON lol j/k. Hope your foot is getting better and now I’m checking out mike’s blog lol.

Haha she is totally my BRF. 🙂
      Thank you so much! I actually figured out how to get a little relief from the extra nagging numbness today, but I will see if it holds up. And I have another doctor’s appointment on Wednesday. The fun just doesn’t stop.

I’d be really interested to learn how many bloggers ACTUALLY plan all their posts/discussions etc. Things just pop into my head and I keep a running list, but what I actually write and when I post is generally all over the place. I just don’t have the brain power to be that organized…

15. chasingchels says:

You and I have a very similar writing process haha. What am I thinking about? Ok that’s what’s going down 😛 I like it that way…keeps the pressure off me and makes sure that what I’m writing is something I actually want to put out there…so if I can’t think of anything or nothing nice, then I take that as the universe’s way of telling me to lay low that day and try again tomorrow 😛

I totally agree! I have the tendency to over-think things anyway so my best work (on here and in real life) is usually kind of thrown together last minute. I love that view of it too about the universe sending you a little sign to take a day off. 🙂 I should do that more often! Quality > quantity!

16. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Great post! It’s good to hear that so many of us kind of blog as we go! Like I said in my post, this is the only place where I don’t have things planned out, I let them happen organically and on the fly, that way, there is no pressure to meet a deadline or do something specific. It’s a nice feeling! Hope your day got better after the coffee spill!

17. northernambitions says:

haha I so enjoyed reading this. First off, I love that you said you’re working on being a cool mom to your daughter, which I can assure you you’ve already mastered! Not to mention a good role model. But I am the same way about training, I needed a blog so my partner didn’t get annoyed with all the triathlon talk. Lets face it, hobbies can be addictive! And I’m glad you kept the name 🙂

Thanks! I’m glad I did too. As unimaginative as it is, I can’t picture it being called anything else. You are too sweet and I hope that Betty thinks all those things too as she grows up! (Though when she’s a teenager I’m pretty sure she won’t!)

Haha, good stuff, Salt. I’m with you, I don’t have much of a plan when I write – that’s one of the reasons I do it – to keep my creative brain parts razor sharp! I actually think about it on my runs sometimes, like what I could write about. I have some good topics that I’ve been sitting on, but haven’t written about…yet. Sometimes I forget, or others may be scary to write about, or others I haven’t quite wrapped my head around yet. Working on it!

I think you would be surprised how many of us are really on the fly bloggers. I know I am!

20. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

Wait! You mean some bloggers actually plan ahead? I’ve recently started linking up with the Friday Five and just started recapping my training week; otherwise, I’m like you and just write whatever comes to mind that day! Occasionally a great idea will pop into my head during a run, but I usually forget it by the time I finish my run! HaHaHa!

I know right!? Who are these crazy organized people! That happens to me sometimes late at night…like I’ll be going to bed and an idea will pop in and if I don’t make some kind of note on it on my phone or something I will completely forget in like an hour.

Haha I love your little fun fact at the bottom. I was cracking up – I always spill coffee on myself after taking a coffee selfie! Anyways, I also sit down and write about whatever I’m thinking and it totally is stressful sometimes. I wish I was the kind of person who thought ahead and blogged in advance but that never works for me.

22. Jennifer says:

GREAT minds think alike! Haha I totally thought I was being so creative when I picked my Run Jenny Run line – and for similar reasons. Oh well I am glad to have found other Run “X” Run bloggers out there … all VERY creative 🙂 Thanks for walking us through your writing process.

You were one of the blogs I was thinking about when I wrote that! Oh well…if I have to share a name style, I’m pleased that it is with awesome people such as yourself!

23. courtruns4cupcakes says:

I don’t have a writing process whatsoever either! I tell myself I’m going to plan and write posts ahead of time, but it never happens. I kinda like writing what comes to mind right then and there. On the weeks that I do happen to schedule a couple of posts I find myself missing and wishing I could write more!

24. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Gawww thanks so much! You’re the sweetest! And I am positive we would hang out all the time if we lived near each other because we think all the same things are awesome: running (maybe your speediness would rub off on me), frozen yogurt, Betty (I would totally babysit anytime), Target, being sarcastic, etc.

I just “followed” Helly on Bloglovin’. No idea why I didn’t before this, I’ve been following her on IG for a while haha. Can’t wait to join in on the fun 🙂

I love that you just sit down and start writting 🙂 That’s basically my process as well. Sit down in front of my laptop and see what happens. I also love the point about blogging as a way to save loved ones from constant run chat. So true!