Hey guess what!?

stefon

I RAN THIS WEEKEND!!!

Not far and not fast, but still it was awesome.

I wasn’t planning on it at all. Saturday morning I woke up and went to the gym to ride the bike, figuring that would be my fitness for the day. Well 4pm rolled around and Betty started talking about going to the playground. I was all set to load her into the car, but then I thought…why not take her in the stroller? It was a nice day to go for a walk so I threw some fruit snacks in the cup holder, gave her a bottle of water, and off we went. And then my foot was feeling good so I decided to test it a little.

My toes felt a little awkward, but not painful so I ended up jogging most of the way there and then nearly all the way home too.

stroller

Man was it HOT though and so so so humid. I didn’t even care. I was huffing and puffing so badly by the time we were almost back to our house that Betty looked up at me and said “Mommy? What’s that sound??”

Oh nothing, dear. Mommy’s just having a heart attack and loving every single minute of it.

The next morning my inner pessimist woke up expecting to be paying the price for the playground trip, but I was no worse for wear! I went to barre class and then Mr. Salt took Betty up to his sister’s house to play with her cousins. I had the whole afternoon free. After doing some shopping at Target – because that is the most obvious thing that one should do if they are sans child for the day – I had no idea what to do with myself. At any other time the answer would be obvious. I messaged Helly and told her how badly I wanted to go for a run, but I didn’t want to push my luck.

A walk would be okay though right?

I really did walk too! I walked one mile and just like the previous evening I was feeling great. So I ran.

sunday

90+ degrees with stifling humidity and I was sweating like a disgusting pig and it was glorious. 4 miles total. PAIN. FREE.

I guess the shot really is working. Today I was finally able to look at my training plan for Baltimore without feeling like I was going to throw up.

How was your weekend? Did you run? If you are training for a fall race, how’s it going?

Happy Monday and I hope everyone has a great start to their week!

97 thoughts on “Hey guess what!?

Thanks, friend! I’m so happy too. I definitely didn’t push it any more than I could handle yesterday but I was pretty shocked to see that 8 minute mile! I didn’t feel like I was working that hard! Running with the stroller actually helped on Saturday because I could lean on it a bit and take some of the weight off my foot. I don’t think I really needed to do that, but it made it easier to be careful.

So happy you are on the mend, I know how much you missed it. Running – it’s a hell of a drug. So sorry Charlotte tackled Betty Saturday morning…I feel horrible. 😦

I MISSED IT SO MUCH. Even getting the chance to run around on the big red mat was kind of nice. 🙂 And please please please don’t feel horrible. It was just a rough morning all around and kids will be kids. Betty was looking for Charlotte as soon as we walked into school this morning!

• Sweaty Mess says:

I figured – but I felt horrible anyway. When I left Charlotte this morning, Betty had wandered over and they were chatting. They are too cute.

2. Shawna says:

yay! glad to hear this and hopefully you continue to get stronger and can run more and more. i did run this wknd: 9 miles on Sat am bright-n-early before catching a 9:30 train to the beach for the day, and then 5 HOT miles yesterday at noon (that’s what you get when you sleep til 11!).

Yay for the pain free running! That’s awesome 🙂 I’m training for the Richmond half marathon (my first half) and so far so good. The mileage isn’t that high yet though. It was 5 miles this past weekend and 6 miles next weekend. Hopefully it continues to go well as the mileage gets higher.

4. candies & crunches says:

YOU are a BEAST! I ams so happy you’re happy AND pain free. Your daughter’s question made me giggle. I just can picture this in my head, and your reaction must have been priceless 😀 ❤ xoxo

5. Charlotte says:

Great for you! I know it must be torture to not be able to run the way you want. But anyway, looks like you have found new ways to get your fitness fix in…like HIIT. I will try the one you posted. Thanks!

6. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

Yay! “that’s just mommy having a heart attack and loving every single minute of it” yup that was me getting “back in shape” with my double jogger a few years ago. It’s an awesome feeling to have the “right pain” on a run instead of injury pain 🙂

I normally don’t run with a stroller so I was STRUGGLING! It was the best though! Definitely the right kind of pain. 🙂 And I’m glad she was concerned about my well being. 🙂

I LOVE BARRE. I hadn’t been in so long that I forgot how enjoyable it is! Thank you for talking about it and refreshing my memory! It’s probably one of my favorite ways to crosstrain right now. 🙂

Thank so much! I honestly wasn’t expecting it to go as well as it did. I still have a lot of nervousness about it, but I definitely think there has been some major progress!

7. Imarunner2012 says:

My club started our Sunday Long Run program yesterday, the topic of my blog post today. This is the beginning of our 15 week fall marathon training. It was only 8.8 miles but it felt like work the last few miles. It was hot, but I should be able to run 8.8 without much effort. The fitness level drops off so quickly!

It’s crazy how quickly it can drop off! Especially in this crazy heat! Depending on how I hold up this week, I’ll be running long on Saturday (well longer than I have in awhile) and I already predict that it will be rough.

8. Sasha says:

Haha, I love little girls concern over your breathing! 🙂 Running has forever been my passion and then this past March I tore my meniscus and had to have it removed. My days of long and frequent runs are mournfully through but I do still allow myself one run a week. Oh, how wonderful that run always is! Way to go momma!! 🙂

She is a total sweetheart and so empathetic all the time even at 2 years old! I’m sorry about your meniscus, but glad you still have that one day per week. ❤ I'm super injury prone according to my sports med doctor and there's not much I can really do about it. I basically have screwy anatomy in my legs and feet. Getting sidelined with injuries has taught me to appreciate every run, even the bad ones.

9. chasingchels says:

Woot woot!!! Awesome news lady love!! And MAJOR kudos to you for testing things out with a jogging stroller. I don’t know how anyone runs with those things! I can barely walk and push peanut around at the same time; any time BK wants to “race” I howl inside. There was a guy pushing a jogging stroller in a 5k I cheered at on Saturday, and he was amazing. Finished in the top 100 I would say (big race too), and the whole time we watched him wondering how in the world he was doing it. So I say awesome job to you! I got my training miles in for my full in Indiana, PA this weekend, which went well. Hot and sweaty but well so no complaints there!

I’m with you!! I’ve only gone out with the jogger few times so far (it was a recent acquisition) and every time I’m out there with it I wonder how the heck anyone ever gets comfortable doing that. Especially with a double! I’m kind of hoping that if I make it a regular part of my training it will make me faster when I’m not pushing a stroller.

Plus it’s fun hanging out with my little backseat driver on my run. 🙂

This heat and humidity has been INTENSE but I’m definitely not complaining either! I’m just happy to be out there!

Yay for getting back out there! I was telling Alex about your foot, and I say, “she has neuritis,” and he says, “Oh, YOU MEAN NEUROPOTHY??” And I say “NO, you tard, I know what neuropathy is. She has neuritis.” And he was like, “Show me the word, what do you mean.” “Inflammation of her nerve–it scrapes over her foot.” And he was like “ooooh, well IVE never heard it called THAT before.”

SCHOOLED HIM.
    I’m glad that your shot is working. Foot pain seriously sucks, because there really isn’t much that you can do that keeps it at bay or keeps it from hurting.
    You be careful now.

HA! ALEX!!! 🙂 At least my sad neuritis foot is teaching people new things.
      I’m glad it is helping too because it would have sucked to sit through that appointment and have it not work. I just hope it doesn’t happen again, but unfortunately I don’t think there is much I can do to prevent it aside from eating a bucket of lard.

11. Running Bear says:

Went 10 miles this weekend, longest since marathon at the beginning of May. Like a fool I did it on purpose at high noon for the full heat. Sweat 50 gallons, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Running Bear says:

The run was generally awesome, feels great to be adding distance again, signed up for Biggest Loser Half Marathon – Buffalo over Labor Day. Although for the first time in thousands of miles (literally) I got a blister on the tip of my middle toe. WTF? Felt it around mile 2 and just ignored it, had total evil happy/masochistic moment when I got to assault it with a pin later in the evening.

12. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Whahooo! Yay you! I’m glad you’re finally feeling better! Our weekend was great! We had an awesome five miler on saturday and some yummy yoga on sunday. I’m loving being back into half marathon training but my body isn’t. I’m gonna have to make some teaching adjustments at work to not over train too much.

13. runawaybridalplanner says:

A fellow blogger sent me your blog and told me to check it out. I’ve been going through some foot pain myself, and see another specialist next week.
    I am really glad you found help with your foot! I am not sure if I have the same thing, but I had an injury years ago in my hip and they went with the cortizone shot, and it worked miracles and took the swelling down letting the injury finally get to heal.
    Good luck with your running! Having been off a while myself, I know how good it probably feels to you!

I’m so sorry to hear about your foot. 😦 Where is the pain exactly for you? (Not that I’m a doctor or anything, but I’ve dealt with my fair share of foot issues in my day…not just from running!) I’m glad that you were able to get some relief from the shot too when you got one. And I really hope you get some good answers from your doctor next week. I hate being in injury-limbo!

• runawaybridalplanner says:

Currently I am dealing with some that is on the top of my foot only when I walk. It’s weird, and they have ruled out it is not a fracture. I am thinking it’s nerve entrapment, but that is only my guess. I see a specialist next week so we’ll see! Its an injury brought on my taking too much of the pressure from my other foot being injured. However even though my Dr wouldn’t give me a shot for the tendon issues, which is probably good. If it’s a possibity for this issue, I am going to push for one.
        I’m glad I was directed to your blog, I am looking forward to following you!

Thank you, lady! I hope you get a good run into today too! Sometimes the hardest part of taking a break is getting started again. Case in point I was going to go out at 6:15am this morning for 3 miles, but then…my bed was so comfy. So I’ll have to do it on my lunch break haha.

14. irenejean says:

I’m so glad you got to run!! I hope you continue to run pain and injury free! I ran on Saturday and Sunday, and it felt great. I’m finally feeling good about my marathon training!

15. northernambitions says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! That’s so so awesome that you ran and ran pain free. I’m so happy for you 🙂 I did a run and was also pain free so I pretty much couldn’t wipe the grin from my face. it’s funny because I almost get used to running with some faint pain that running without it is the best

I don’t think I can truly express how thrilled I am. I’m still nervous/cautious about it, but I can’t deny the fact that things are so vastly improved so I’m starting to feel more optimistic. 🙂 That’s totally how I felt…like I was expecting to hurt and then I didn’t! And I had the BIGGEST sweaty grin on my face too!

Yay for getting back to running! Your daughter is hilarious by the way. If I ever run with my future children they’re going to be horrified by my gasping as I push them around 🙂

17. irishrunnerchick says:

Yay – glad to hear you’re back running! I hate to be THAT person but when I came back after my sciatic nerve injury I had a case of the TWO-MUCH-TOO-SOONs and ended up with hip bursitis that kept me out for another 6 weeks. Don’t be me!

Whoo hooo! Great news!! Just don’t go out too fast! Take it easy as you ease back in!!