It’s a HIIT!

I can’t run right now.

Dawson-Crying-GIF

Yes, yes. You know that already.

Well in the spirit of remaining optimistic about my current situation, I’ve decided that in lieu of running I will spend all this extra free time I now have experimenting with different forms of cross training.

prancercise

Prancercise is on the agenda for next week.

This past Sunday I went to barre class because Sue and Courtney had been mentioning how much they love it. I have taken the class several times before, but it had been a pretty long time and I forgot how much of a challenge it is and how much I love it even when it’s hard to walk upstairs the next day. Then a couple days later I decided on a whim that I was going to incorporate HIIT into my lunch break at the gym. I had never done one of these before outside of my speed workouts.

What is HIIT?

I’m sure you know, but just in case you don’t HIIT stands for HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING and that means that you basically go completely beastmode on whatever exercise you are doing for a short period of time followed by a recovery period that can be either active or not. It keeps your heart rate raised and helps burn more fat in less time.

There are TONS of different ways to do a HIIT workout. A simple Google search will yield about a billion results from fitness professionals to other bloggers. Per a wonderful suggestion posted on my Facebook, I installed the 7 minute workout app on my phone. This app is great because it has voice prompts that signal the start and end of each exercise so I didn’t need to time them myself. It wasn’t by Pop Sugar, but this is the exact same workout that I did:

HIIT_Workout_print.jpg

I can’t do high knees right now so I subbed in mountain climbers. More than half of these exercises are things that are not a part of my normal routine so I was excited to mix it up, especially with squats. If I gain anything from this running break, I would love for it to be any semblance of a butt.

Here are some discoveries I made during this workout:

• I feel silly doing jumping jacks. There was a guy in the studio with me at the time and I felt like I looked like the most enormous tool. I think the last time I did a jumping jack was in middle school.
  • I have gotten good at push-ups over the past few months.
  • I LOVE wall sits! I had never done one before and now I feel compelled to do them all the time. The burn in my quads was fantastic.
  • Thankfully the app also comes with little videos demo-ing each exercise because I had no idea how to do a proper lunge.
  • Push-up rotations make me nauseous after awhile
  • I went through it twice and as simple as all these exercises seemed on paper, I was so wiped for the short amount of time I was working! I loved the variety and now I’m all excited about trying more combinations. Even burpees. I would have loved to do some during this workout – what is WRONG with me!? – but those are a serious no-no for my toes right now.

I followed all this up with a half hour of intense intervals on the bike. Under the personal trainer selection (which I had never used before), it gave me an option called “aerobic” which was basically a ladder. I was sweating obscenely and it felt phenomenal…probably the best workout I’ve had since getting hurt.

Obviously not running sucks, but this was alright. I think I’ll do it again tomorrow.

Do you incorporate HIIT workouts into your routine? What are some of your favorites? Do you love burpees?

Happy Friday, everyone! Whatever you all have planned for the weekend, I hope it’s wonderful!

53 thoughts on “It’s a HIIT!

1. laurenwayjurlee says:

I used to take a HIIT class that I loved – but I just couldn’t fit it in my schedule anymore. I need to start doing more HIIT workouts on my own.

I hate burpees with a passion. HATE.

I would LOVE to take a class and not just do it on my own. I wish my gym offered anything like that. The nice thing is that you can do it on your own though if you can’t find the time (and you can do them pretty much anywhere!)

2. courtruns4cupcakes says:

I’ve been incorporating more HIIT workouts into my marathon training plan and I think it is definitely helping me become stronger all around. It also mixes up my workouts instead of just running which is nice!

That’s what I’m hoping for! I need to hang on to as much of my fitness as I can during this downtime because I really want to be as strong as I can be when I finally can start training for Baltimore. The variety is awesome!

3. vegasmotherrunner says:

My very, very small experience with HIIT workouts (via T25) is what landed me an injury in my hip flexor that I am still recovering from. So while I loved the intensity and how quickly they are over, I’m staying far away for now.

4. Rebecca Jo says:

I bought a High Intensity training video & it kills me – in a good way. It has a lot of planks/burpees – my shoulders DIE afterwards.
    I want to prancercise more in life in general.

I think the world would be a happier place if more people would just prancercise.
      May I ask which video it is? I’m always on the hunt for good stuff to do at home!

5. themilereport says:

HIIT is such a good workout! So good that I hardly ever do it because just thinking about burpee-ing all out for 30-40 seconds makes me shudder. When I’m injured (and sometimes when I’m not injured), I do short intervals on the elliptical, bike, or with pool running. I have to plan out my hour before I go (or else I’ll give up early), so my typical workout might be half an hour of 4min hard 1min easy then 20 min of 2:30 hard :30 easy, then 10 min of :30 hard :30 easy with a few easy minutes of recovery whereever I need them.

I’ve been hearing more and more about pool running lately and I wish I had access to a pool so I could try it. I am also a plan-aheader when I go to the gym. 🙂

6. Piper's Run says:

I need to do this more and it’s a goal for this month…guess I should get on it! I don’t mind burpees now that I am in better shape but I didn’t love them a year ago (6 months postpartum). Have a great weekend!

I think I still hate them (it’s been awhile since I’ve done one), but I want to get better at them. It would be nice to not be so afraid of them one day! Happy weekend to you too, friend!

I’ve always done some half-assed version of HIIT on the treadmill. More recently the bike. Burpees have always scared me – they look too intense, I think I would hurt myself just trying to do them.

They are pretty intense. Awhile back I committed to a 100 burpee challenge and I think I made it through like 15 of them before I wanted to die. I want to get better at them though!

8. samantha couch says:

i love this because i can do it at home. definitely downloading the app now. we do similar formats at my cross fit classes. wall sits are GREAT. especially if you squeeze a ball or pillow between your knees while you “sit,” it helps combat runner’s knee by building up those butt/hip muscles. also, if you *want* a butt, jumping jacks, squats and lunges are the three best exercises to form said butt. i love hearing about all the new exercises you are trying right now! i’ve been really good about cross training more since i’ve had so many injuries this year and i hope it’s helping my running game. i’ll know during my next half, i guess. off to download that app!

Yes me too! Stuff like this is so convenient to do after Betty goes to sleep. (As long as I don’t make too much noise jumping around.) And really I am all about whatever I can do to ward off more injury.

9. chasingchels says:

Ugh no haha. I hate burpees with a passion and will continue to do so forever since I’ve sworn to do so and hate to go back on my word. This workout, however, looks awesome to use for cross training/strength training. I’ll have to check it out on Thursday! Thanks for sharing the app too. I hadn’t heard of that before but will definitely be glad for something like this 🙂

Haha they are definitely easy to hate. 🙂 I hope the app works for you! You can’t beat the price (ummm FREE haha) and the videos and voice prompts are so helpful. I just threw my headphones in at the gym and went to work!

10. Alexis T (@runcrush) says:

Bahahaha, so true, jumping jacks are the most awkward. I love HIIT workouts every once in a while, especially if I’m crunched for time. Great way to get a good sweat going without being at the gym forever.

11. Running Bear says:

When I was taking a running break (nipping PF in the bud), I did lots of Wii Just Dance video game. I’m pro at Proud Mary and Toxic now!

I do HIIT 1-2 times a week, in the form of Biggest Loser DVD’s at home, one by Jillian and one by Bob. I’ve been doing them for a few years and they still kick my ass, very well rounded routines that get all the important muscles in the body.

12. Run Colby Run says:

I love a HIIT workout! Clever little toughies aren’t they?! I try and throw them in whenever I can although lately, I’m EXHAUSTED. I could use a little less butt. I’ve got ass for days up in here. 😉

You always get me with your gifs. Lol. My track workouts are my jam and my HIIT. Hahaha, you need to record yourself prancercizing! I just hope you aren’t ugly crying while you do it!

14. LeanGreenGabi says:

Prancercise, lol. Can I join you for that?
    I love HIIT…Quick easy exercises and effective. My faves are probably squats and plain old crunches. I feel silly doing jumping jacks too! Burpees are hard, but they give you a full body workout for sure.

15. TheGirlWhoRanEverywhere says:

I literally couldn’t even read the entire post because i BAHAHAHA’d at the Prancersize video..please pleas, practice Prancersizing. And video it. Yes!! Lol, jk I just love ya for putting that in this post!!! Ok now to read the rest!

Yay! I’m glad you found a workout that will help you rest your foot while still getting a good workout. Who knows, maybe this will make you an even stronger runner! Totally trying to stay positive over here 🙂

17. Brianna @ I run He tris says:

I did a HIIT workout on Thursday because I only had 30 minutes before I had to be out the door again. Those things are no joke. I’m still sore from it!! I have a love/hate relationship with burpees for sure.

18. Jennifer says:

My trainer incorporates HIIT into the workouts. I LOVE squats and lunges (jumping ones threaded into them), I DESPISE burpees and mountain climbers, but I’ll still do them haha.

19. northernambitions says:

Do I love burpees? Um that would be a firm no, but I do appreciate that they’re a butt kicker and I still do them despite my hate on for them. I like Blogilates because she has some awesome HITT workouts that sometimes destroy me. My all time favourite move is a squat because I feel like it’ll make my butt look nicer 🙂 Sad but it’s true, that’s all the motivation I need apparently! I’m sorry you can’t run but good on your for staying postive and using the time to try new things. And thank you for posting that picture of the sprinting lady….it’s amazing

That 7-minute workout sounds like a lot of fun! I’ll have to check out the app. Always looking for additional exercises to add in with my usual running routine. I think work like this is great for building strength that can translate to running 🙂

21. irishrunnerchick says:

I’ve never done a burpee! I need a trained professional that I have given my hard-earned money to in order to even contemplate doing this kind of workout. It sounds intense. I might need to get my big girl exercise pants on and start HIIT.

I love HIIT, i just need to do it more often 🙂 I’m not very consistent with it, definitely need to incorporate more into my crosstraining!