Things might not be going exactly as I planned right now what with the whole not being able to run thing, but today is a great day because…THREE DAY WEEKEND! AWESOME! Betty says…Thanks for being born, America!

photo

It’s getting a little patriotic over in the Salt household.

Anyway today I have just a couple cool things to talk about that have happened in the past 24-hours.

1. Fit Foodie Finish Pics

I’ve already blasted these all over Facebook so some of you may have seen them already. I’m sorrynotsorry for posting them again. 🙂

PR3

PR2

PR

I think these might be my favorite finish line pictures ever. I love everything about them…even my weird face and the fact that the girl behind me looks like she wants to kill me.  I believe it was Scott who wrote a post awhile back about running being the closest that we can get to flying and the first thing I noticed when I saw these photos is that my feet aren’t touching the ground in any of them. I was FLYING. Looking at these photos makes me feel so powerful and like a real athlete.

I also looked at the official timing site for the first time yesterday. This is the women’s leader board for the race:

leaderboard

LOOK WHO IS #4!! WHAT!?!?

(Some of you might be like “Yeah okay…who’s that?” and I know you will be very surprised to learn that my given name is not Salt.)

results

I thought I came in 6th of the women, but I guess there must have been some kind of error with that. So this was definitely a very cool thing.

2. My friend is blogging!

AWESOME ladies! L-R: Danielle, Sara, Me, Julie, Sara.

Apparently my peer pressure tactics have worked because I convinced my wonderful friend, Sara, to start a blog! She’s the Sara all the way to the right in this photo of multiple Saras. She just started running in January and has already accomplished so much! Currently she is beginning her training for her first half marathon: the Baltimore Half, which I hold very dear to my heart because it was my first one too! Her blog can be found HERE and I hope that you will stop by, say hi, and welcome her to our awesome little blogger community!

3. Colby & Tina ROCK!

Last night Helly and I were talking about how much we love Colby and Tina. We’ve decided that they remind us of…well…US. Except that they actually get to hang out with each other whereas Helly and I have gotten to hang out zero times even though we’ve known each other for like 3 years. (Thankfully we are remedying that in October!)

I’m pretty sure if Helly, Colby, Tina, and I ever ended up in a room together, the world would fall off it’s axis because it wouldn’t be able to handle that level of awesome.

Anyway, the lovely ladies behind It’s a Marathon AND a Sprint have bestowed a glorious blog award on both Helly and myself and I am pleased to accept that award today.

veryinspiringbloggerI’m so honored to be called inspiring. Especially by someone that jumped right back out to do a long run shortly after almost knocking all her teeth out of her head. ❤ As with most of these things, there are some rules:

• Thank and link to the person who nominated you. Or in this case “people”. DONE AND DONE!
  • List the rules and display the award. AND DONE!
  • Share seven facts about yourself.
  • Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated.
  • Optional: display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you.

Oh goodness MORE things about me? You already know I’ve handled half a human head. I’m running short on facts here. Here are 6 more because just above this you already learned that my real name is not Salt. 🙂

1. I run with my thumbs up. Kind of like how some people drink tea with their pinky finger sticking out. It’s just what my hands do when I’m running and not thinking about it. You can tell I’m doing it in all three of those photos above (especially the second one) and in pretty much every other picture ever taken of me at a race. For awhile I tried to control it, but these thumbs do what they want.
  2. I don’t get a lot of sleep. It’s pretty much impossible for me to fall asleep before midnight and it’s very rare if I get more than 5.5 – 6 hours of sleep in a night. Often I get less and I know this is not a good thing. Melatonin and Epsom salt baths have been helping it a little bit lately, but even if I haven’t had much sleep the night before you would never be able to tell so at least I have that going for me.
  3. I am afraid of crickets. Like REALLY afraid. They are fast and unpredictable and I worry that if I get too near one it will jump right on me with no warning. And I really shouldn’t have even bought it up because now I’m feeling all anxious.
  4. I know how to do The Hustle. You can keep your Cupid Shuffles and your Booty Calls. I’ll be over here rocking out to Van McCoy and the Soul City Symphony.
  5. I’m a nail biter. It’s a nasty, nasty habit. Actually my nails look better in the past two weeks since I’ve had Jamberry wraps on them than they have in years so I guess I’m just going to have to be addicted to them now. Twist my arm.
  6. I learned yesterday that yoga is HARD with a pinched nerve. Because Dr. Dave has cleared me to bike and do yoga, I visited my favorite new studio on my lunch break and learned that crescent lunges or anything that involved my toes bending up were completely out of the question. All my chaturangas and most of my downward dogs involved only one leg. My balance was terrible. It was rough. On a good note, my instructor applauded my modifications, the messages she gave us were particularly uplifting (which is something that I’ve come to expect from that class…it really is wonderful),  and I seem to have regained some of the feeling in my foot since the class. So I guess I’ll just stick with it. One of the best parts about yoga is that it is a total non-judgement zone so my current clumsy state is a non-issue for anyone.

And now I think the Salt Fact Well is completely tapped. Now on to my nominations! These are just some of my favorites. If I had to list all my favorites, I would be typing this for the rest of my life. I also referred to Colby and Tina’s nominations so that we wouldn’t have any overlap as I know we read a lot of the same blogs!

1. Sweaty Mess Mama
  2. Candies & Crunches
  3. Pretty Little Runner
  4. Fitness Meets Frosting
  5. Running Around the Bend
  6. Running Out of Wine
  7. Striding Strong
  8. Run This Apple
  9. So Very Slightly Mad
  10. Eat. Host. Run. Style.
  11. Kelsie Lou
  12. The Cupcake Triathlete
  13. From Dancing to Running
  14. Spiritual Creaminess
  15. The Running Schlub (He’s getting married this weekend!)

Ta dahhhhhh!!! I hope that all you Americans have a safe and Happy 4th of July! (And Happy Belated Canada Day to my Canadian friends!)

Do you have any icky habits? What’s your favorite line dance? How much sleep do you typically get in a night? Do you have any bug fears?

72 thoughts on “Awesome race photos, an awesome new blog to follow, and an awesome award from a couple of awesome bloggers.

1. Run Colby Run says:

First off. Your running finish line pictures are FIERCE! And I’d just like to state for the record that You Are An Athlete. And a fast one! Also, feel free to repost that wine balancing yoga crazy firefly shot again. Best pic. EVER. At some point, Helly, Salt, Colby and Tina will get together and rainbows and unicorns will sprout from the heavens! Thank you for the kind words! Enjoy the weekend and that little dolly, Betty!! xo

Thank you, friend. ❤ And yes I definitely think we need to make a rainbow unicorn party happen one day! I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well! (I can't wait to go pick that little sweetie up!)

2. prettylittlerunner says:

Um your race shots are #badass! Seriously, I was like these are awesome! And of course congrats on the fourth place finish…I love the surprise finishes;) I barely sleep. Makes me wonder if I slept more if I’d be a better runner. I sleep btwn 4-6 hours during the summer:/ enjoy your weekend and ps thanks for the nomination💋

3. Falyn @ Slacker Runner says:

Great pics! You do look like you’re flying! Sorry to hear about the pinched nerve, hopefully it heals fast :). It’s a good thing you weren’t out here around 6 years ago, we had a cricket invasion for awhile, it was nasty!

4. kilax says:

Those are awesome pics! I would post them over and over if that was me! 🙂

I bite my nails too. I have to paint them to keep them out of my mouth!

5. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

BUGS are disgusting. I just had a “bug” incident in our outside trash can last night and I lost my appetite for the day. I typically need to get 8 hours a night or I am a little grouchy! I have a bad habit of talking too much.

Noooo ugh I’m sorry about your bug incident. 😦 I hope you are all recovered today. 🙂 I WISH I could do the 8 hours of sleep thing! It’s like I forgot how to sleep. I used to be so much better at it until Betty was born haha.

Those pics=beast mode ON. I sometimes tuck my thumbs (as if I was doing sign language) when I run–that started when I was at Columbia and would have to run on the track, so I would use my thumbs to count my laps. Otherwise I run with my phone in one hand and hold the cord with my other. It’s like my blankie

I love these little nuances that people have in their form and the things they do when they run. And I love that the phone and cord is like your blankie. ❤

7. themilereport says:

Those finish line pics are fierce! My favorite finish line pic is one of me sticking my tongue halfway out in concentration…the exact same face I make when I’m studying “in the zone.”
    My favorite line dance is 100% the wobble.

Why thank you, my friend! Do you have said tongue pic?? It sounds epic and I want to see it! (And if I had to pick a more modern line dance I would definitely pick the Wobble.)

8. candies & crunches says:

Well… ummm…. nice to meet you… Lauren?! 😀 No but seriously, though 😀 Nice to finally really meet you! ❤ Congratulations on your 4th place!!! Speaking of pictures, you look super adorable. I am not sure if I ever will post it in the blog world, or maybe I actually will but just to draw readership under The Most Awkward & UGLY Spartan Jump Over the Fire Award, but the picture of me from my last race is… I don't even have words to explain it… I look like I was having a massive cramp in the air that left me impaired for life… Some really ugly stuff… LOL! Also, thank you soooooo much for nominating me! I'm really flattered given that this is coming from you. I am looking forward to answering those questions! ❤ xoxo

Hehe nice to meet YOU! And thank you! And I honestly don’t know how you could possibly take a bad picture. Maybe more like BAD ASS. You should post it! I bet it’s cool! (Plus seriously? You’re jumping over fire. That alone should explain any sort of awkwardness.) I look forward to reading your post! You are awesome, lady! ❤

9. Running Betty says:

Love your race pictures! You are flying and look so strong! I had to scroll back up to look for the thumbs….I think it’s a pretty cool quirk! Like you’re giving everyone the thumbs up while running! 🙂

Nice race pics! I was excited to have 1 (free) picture from the Baltimore ten miler.
    I need my sleep! I aim for an least 8 hours, and then I usually wake up naturally without an alarm. 9-5 is my ideal sleep time. I don’t know how people function on only 5 or 6 hours!
    Thanks for the nomination…although I have no idea how I will think of 7 interesting facts about myself. I feel like whenever you complete these surveys you are able to come up with more and more cool things to share!

Thanks! Baltimore 10 gave out a free photo?? That’s great! I really wish more races would do that…even if it is just one picture. I am better you have TONS of interesting facts about yourself and I am looking forward to hearing about them. 🙂

11. Rebecca Jo says:

Those are pretty epic finish pictures! Determination on your face!!!
    I have no bug fears – I’m the person who picks bugs up & saves them from getting hurt. I’ve watch too many Disney movies 🙂
    I’m good to get 6.5 hours of sleep. If I ever get 7 I feel like I hit the lottery.

Thank you so much! Crickets are my only really bad one (besides cicadas), but stuff like spiders I usually end up leaving alone. Unless it’s really huge and then I will have to have my husband relocate it for me.

You are giving total Beast Mode PR Realness in those photos. Photos like that are one reason why you get nominated for “Most Inspiring Blogger Award” besides the fact that you just plain rock!

I am humbled to be nominated by you as well as by Mike from Running Around the Bend! I’m only three days in to this craziness. I hope I live up to the hype!

You are the nicest ever. I wish I could remember exactly what I was thinking in those pictures. I had no idea what my time was so I know it wasn’t about that. Probably something about how much food I was about to get to eat at the finish line if I kept hauling ass.

You are going to totally live up to the hype!! Mike is one of the best bloggers around and I cheered when I saw him mention you on his blog today. Welcome to the madness that is run blogging. It’s really addictive and you are going to meet so many cool people!

you’re getting on my nerves with all this age group, 4th place finish nonsense… 😉 I kid, you know i think you’re pretty badass. Take care of that foot! And to steal everyone else’s words, those photos ARE fierce!

Thank you, friend! Haha I definitely don’t have anything fun like that to talk about right now while I’m banished to the exercise bike. Unless you care that I just watched the last part of Gladiator on my lunch break while on the exercise bike. (When I much rather would have been running outside in 95+ 100% humidity heat.) I had a good appointment with Dr. Dave today and it seems we have had some progress already so I just need to stay off it!

haha – great minds! Thanks for the nomination which I preemptively answered today! 🙂

Few thoughts:
    – I am sticking to the story that your birth certificate says #mamaSalt and that ‘Lauren’ is your stage name, to through off the adoring fans 🙂
    – I now cannot un-see your thumbs in the finisher pics.
    – Speaking of which, as I said on FB, you look *powerful* in those … awesome!
    – I read song titles musically, so I don’t ‘read’ ‘do the hustle’ … I hear it … and it floats in my head as I continue reading …
    – Nail biter, yeah on that. Have made various amounts of progress through the years, but still do it more than I would like.
    – Loads of great blogs nominated, most I read but a few to check out! 🙂

And it goes without saying that Betty wins ‘best picture’ award … again. She really needs to just stop already and give someone else a chance!

Hahaha YOU’RE ON TO ME! It does say that. With the hashtag. I was making hashtags cool before they were cool way back in 1978. 🙂

My thumbs will definitely be the first things you notice in any race pic I post from now on. Thank you so much for that comment! I was feeling so good about the photos and then I saw that and thought it was so cool that I wasn’t the only one who thought that way about them. I’m really proud of them. 🙂

If only it were so easy for you to throw on some Jamberry wraps so you could stop biting your nails. 🙂

Of course Betty wins again! When I was pregnant people used to tell me to soak up all the attention at that moment because once she arrived it would be all about her. And I thought that was a weird thing to say since that’s what I wanted to happen, but she certainly hasn’t disappointed! BIG personality on that one. She steals the show wherever we go. 🙂

I love the race photos, you look so determined! And yay for the 4th place finish 🙂 I used to be afraid of crickets and ended up living in the basement of a house that was infested with them back when I was in school. My roommates would come home and find glasses or bowls all over the floor where I put them over the bugs because I couldn’t kill them but I also couldn’t just deal with them running around!

Thank you so much! Wow that basement sounds like my worst nightmare. And I would probably do the exact same thing with the bowls and glasses that you did!!

16. Lindsay says:

Love Betty’s cute little self, and SO exciting about that fast finish! I’m so proud of you 🙂 You are awesome!

17. Piper's Run says:

I run with my thumbs tucked in my fingers, and my index fingers pointing out! Weird!
    Sleep … with two kids, BA HAHAHAHA! If I am lucky 7 hours of straight sleep…or it’s 7-8 hours of broken sleep as I’m up with one or both of the girls 1-3 times a night – especially if they are sick!

Haha I love that you have a funny hand thing too! My sleep definitely went out the window when I was pregnant with B and then just never came back even when she started sleeping through the night. It’s definitely handy when she is sick though…up all night and I can still function okay the next day.

Those photos rock! I wish there were some of me at the finish line, but they wouldn’t have been as cool 😉 I’m terrified of spiders!!

Thank you, friend! I really wish they had a better way of organizing them. I was looking through for photos of you and Courtney for like an hour! (I think I saw Courtney’s leg in one of them because I recognized her calf sleeves.)

Spiders are not my favorite, but I’m mostly okay with the little ones. It’s the big ones I have a problem with. 🙂

Haha, yes, it was me who said we don’t run, we fly!!! Great pics!!! And way to shave that much time off your 5k! I LOVE Tina and Colby.
    My sleep has been sporadic. I’m always so tired that I fall asleep early, but then wake up randomly in the middle of the night. And the past few weeks the 2 year old has been randomly waking up at different times. And since I’m apparently a light sleeper, I’m the one that hears her and goes to lie down with her till she falls back asleep. But Toddlers do not sleep restlessly,…as I’m sure you know!

Aww thank you SO much! Can’t wait to tell you all some lovely random facts about me haha. I find you incredibly inspiring so I’m so happy that there’s an award you could be nominated for! Gotta love the blogging world 🙂 You have amazed me with the progress you continue to make and I hope these weeks off fly by for you so you can get back doing what you love and what your so good at ASAP! Being that I have zero coordination I don’t really have a favorite line dance, but I’m so with you on the crickets! Ahh they make me cringe just thinking about them. I will not pick those suckers up. I will hop on the nearest item of furniture and stay there until I can get someone to get it for me. You look so strong in your race pictures. Definitely pro status right there 🙂

21. The Running Schlub says:

These are always awesome. So cool to learn some backgroudn info on our fellow bloggers. Well I guess I am a popular guy lol thank you soooo much for the nomination. Does that mean I need to do two of them??? Holy Cow!!

22. Running Bear says:

You look totally badass in those finish pics, floating on air!

Thank you for the nomination for the inspiring blogger thingie. I broke my response into parts, hopefully easier for people to digest that way.

23. northernambitions says:

Congrats on the race and the inspiring blogger award! That’s so awesome. I hope you’re enjoying a lovely July 4th. As far as sleep, I wish I got more but I typically get 6 hours a night which is so not enough for me.

24. Change of Pace says:

Those pictures are fierce and so strong- awesome! And way to race lady- congratulations!!!
    I have a deep, irrational fear of spiders. If they come anywhere near me I generally start to cry. And I can’t kill them because that would mean getting close. It’s embarassing!
    I don’t know the proper name, but my favourite line dance was the Hangloose Hawaiian one!

25. byrne1324 says:

Congrats on a great race!!! I also run with my thumbs up and on every run I tell myself not to do it, but it’s a hard habit to break.

This was my first time reading your blog, it’s very good and I will continue to follow you on your running journey. Feel free to stop by mine at the passion of running

26. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

Betty is adorable in her red, white, and blue! Hope you had a great 4th of July weekend!

I love your finish line photos! Where did you find them? I just checked the website’s photo gallery, but didn’t find any one there…

27. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

I am a terrible nail biter too! I’m always trying to hide my hands from people since they really look bad. I totally don’t think I’ll ever stop. I really need to. It’s just never the right time!

Amazing finish line pictures!

28. missadventuresinrunning says:

Your pictures look great! I especially love the thumbs up! I have a bad habit of making weird fists with my thumb poking out the middle. I have to be careful not to look crazy angry and like I am about to punch someone!

I love those finish line pics from the race! You look fantastic and so determined to beat that girl to the finish line. And what a wonderful surprise to discover you were 4th 🙂

Thanks for the blog nomination! Love reading the little facts about my fellow bloggers. I’m also a nail biter! It’s a terrible habit but try as I might, I just can’t kick it.