Friday Five: Five things you will probably wish you didn’t know about me.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see Friday! This week has been IN.SANE.

Missing out on the Friday Five with my favoritest DC Ladies (Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney!!) last week left me with some sad feelings. They quickly went away when I got to hang out with Cynthia and Courtney at Fit Foodie though! This week I’m ready to jump right back in and wouldn’t you know it…I get to talk about my favorite thing ever!

Me.

(Just kidding. Kind of. If I didn’t love talking about myself this blog would not exist.)

DC_linkup

As I started this post, I had some writer’s block. I felt like I had already told you guys all the more interesting things about myself. What else could I possibly have to say?

So here are five bizarre/obscure/possibly downright weird facts about me.

I hope you still want to be my friend after reading this.

1. I got stuck in a bike rack.

And I have photo evidence of this thanks to my friend, Kelly. 4988_201784400596_5749017_n

This was one of those things that seemed like a really good idea at the time. Downtown for drinks and OH HEY! I bet I could climb through that bike rack! Guess what? No I couldn’t. I got stuck and another friend had to drag me out by the back of my pants, but not before this excellent photo op. I may look happy and carefree, but in reality it was pretty painful and definitely entertaining for everyone who walked by.

2. I am deathly afraid of sparklers.

SPARKLERS_-_sparklers_5-9-09_white_bursting_LARGE

Happy 4th of July! Not if you are going to get within a 5 foot radius of me with one of those things! To me, sparklers are like a flaming panic attack on a stick. I have vivid memories of freaking out as a child as the little sparks would hit my hand. I hope Betty wants nothing to do with them.

3. P Diddy likes my work.

P-Diddy

It was an indirect compliment, but still. I used to work for a well known entertainment magazine in LA and we ran a special section on P Diddy. I designed much of it and in an interview right after the issue came out he mentioned that he thought it was great. Thanks, Diddy! I wonder if he still has a copy of it.

4. I fell off a cliff.

A small cliff. Or a tall embankment. Whatever. I was night hiking and lost my footing, fell and hit my head on a rock, knocking myself unconscious. Then like a total jackass, I just continued on with my camping weekend thinking that a trip to the ER would be unnecessary.

DO NOT RECOMMEND.

It wasn’t until I was at work that following Monday that I made the decision to see a doctor which was prompted by the partial vision loss I had in my right eye and not being able to remember the 25 mile drive in to the office at all. I was diagnosed with a grade 3 concussion and a possible detached retina  that thankfully ended up not being detached after further examination, and I had to get an MRI to make sure my brain wasn’t swelling (it wasn’t). I experienced a lot of short term memory issues for awhile after that – and I still don’t remember what I was doing for a little while before or after the accident – but eventually I was back to normal. Or as close to normal as I was ever going to get. I still have a little dent in my skull from where it hit the rock.

5. I held a severed head.

Actually it was half of one. I don’t know if that’s better or worse than holding the whole thing.

If you have a weak stomach, you may want to stop reading here.

It was in anatomy and physiology class senior year of high school. We were visited by another student’s dad who had some kind of job that granted him access to human body parts. Coroner? Serial killer? Something like that.

Anyway he had all sorts of things with him – lungs, brains, hands, feet – but the pièce de résistance was a guy’s head, cut in half down the middle. I guess this person had donated his body to science and now here was half his head being presented to a bunch of high school students. It was preserved so everything was still perfectly intact (just in half). Serial Dad asked us if anyone would like to handle it and the whole class gave a collective NO THANKS. Except for me because I find the creepiest things to be fascinating.

So I got to hold half a head. It was surprisingly heavy! Don’t worry…I was wearing gloves.

Have you ever gotten stuck in an odd place or taken a bad spill? Do you like sparklers? And the BIG question…would you have held the head?? 🙂

Happy weekend, everyone!

68 thoughts on “Friday Five: Five things you will probably wish you didn’t know about me.

1. runtobefree10 says:

THAT’S AWESOME (the severed head thing)… I worked in an ER for a long time and the coolest (grossest) thing I ever saw was a femur that had come completely through a guys leg after a pretty severe motorcycle accident. I love that stuff!! Also, glad your head (because we’re speaking of heads) is ok!! 🙂 Great FF 🙂

2. vegasmotherrunner says:

I love sparklers! My birthday is on the 4th of July so my mom used to put sparklers on my cake instead of candles. My husband did it for me one year as an adult too and I felt like a kid again. It was awesome. Oh, and you and I get an A+ in the clumsy department, lol!

3. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Eek, I don’t like sparklers either. My worst sparkler experience: I was a bridesmaid at a wedding (long dress, super-hairsprayed hair, etc.) and they had all of the guests line up WITH SPARKLERS HELD UP TO MAKE A “TUNNEL” on a sidewalk for the bride and groom to walk through. I was petrified, sure that either the bride’s hair/dress would ignite or my own would. Luckily no one caught on fire but I have hated sparklers ever since.

That is my worst wedding nightmare. I wouldn’t be able to walk through that at all. If I were a bridesmaid I would be the one screaming as I ran as fast as I could through it. I guess it makes for good pictures, but those fears are REAL!!

I would definitely have held the head – loved getting all into the guts in A&P in high school! I also have no issues with sparklers.

And I have been pretty lucky in the accident department – but then I actually have pretty good balance.

… AND … there is a benefit to being old enough to have gone through high school and college and early adult life before the advent of cell phones and digital cameras. ‘Nuff said 🙂

I loved it too! That was one of my favorite class days of that year. It was all so interesting to me!

Haha yeaaah it was before any of us had camera phones at least so it didn’t end up on the internet like a second after it was taken. Nowadays everything is so instantaneous! 🙂

Me too! I always rocked that part of science class. (And usually had to do all the work if we were partnered up because every single time I would get someone who wouldn’t touch whatever we were dissecting.)

Wow, that’s some random stuff, right there!

I actually am a bit afraid of sparklers myself. I still like them and will use them, but I had a bad experience when I was a kid–someone dropped a spent sparkler on the ground, but it was still SEARING hot. I was running around barefoot and stepped on the thing and burned the bajeezus out of my foot. It sucked, and I still have minor sparkler anxiety.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA awesome. i was going to do this too, but the sunshine award post (a thank you very much, now that I think about it!) would have sufficed, and I had too much else to talk about.
    It would have been weirder if you had kept the head, or staying the bike rack.

7. candies & crunches says:

OH no! I am glad you’re okay after that fall. But if ever anything like this happens again, go to see a doctor right away, it could have been dangerous!!! As for holding a half of a head it’s gross, but one of my acquaintances did the same at the university and actually put a picture on FB. That’s how I came across it. I think the image of it still haunts me… Have a wonderful weekend and try not to get stuck in a bike rack 😉 xoxo

I seriously don’t know what I was thinking. Not going directly to the doctor after that was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done in my life. I am very lucky it ended well for me!

Had Facebook existed when I was 18 I would have totally had someone take a picture of me with the head. And I will definitely be avoiding all bike racks this weekend! I have ever since that incident haha!

I hope you have a lovely weekend, friend! xo

8. Rebecca Jo says:

OK… I have a feeling you win every saying that comment about a severed head. I hope so at least 🙂
    I’m feeling claustrophobic looking at you in that bike rack!!!!!! I’d be freaking out!!!

Haha it definitely made for a life-long good story to share. 🙂
      And yes it was a little scary once I was in there. The bars were digging into my hips and it hurt to move. Not the smartest thing I’ve ever done for sure.

Haha, love the 5 facts about you 🙂 So glad you’re okay after falling off a cliff – that sounds super scary! I also don’t like those little sparkler things – so dangerous!

Me too! The whole situation was definitely scary. I literally can’t remember a thing about it though. My friends were certainly freaked out though.

Thank you for agreeing with my sparkler danger! I’m glad I’m not alone!

10. The running Schlub says:

Holy cow how did you get in that bike rack lol. Never been stuck in anything I can remember but I did take a nasty fall back in March. I posted about it, total epic fail. I would of totally held the head, that sounds awesome and I bet you could learn a lot from that.

Haha getting in there was the EASY part!! It was getting out that I had the problem with. 🙂

I’m going to have to go look for your fall post. And the head was pretty awesome. Everything was perfectly in place. It was a very cool learning tool. 🙂

LOL, ok now i get it – you’re the friend I’m always saying “that’s not a good idea” to but yet does it anyway (ignore the side eye). #4? you should feel lucky I didn’t know you when that happened!! I’m like mommy dearest over here.

12. KelsieLou says:

That is so funny about the sparklers. I think you are the 1st person I’ve known to admit to that fear. I’m not too much in love with em myself. Leave that stuff to pros!

13. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs says:

I used to be terrified of sparklers. I’m probably less so now, but they’re definitely not my favourite.

That’s so awesome about the head! I went to the Human Bodies exhibit and I LOVED it, so interesting!

14. nevie b. says:

Okay, well, I have gotten myself stuck in just about every structure imaginable including a chair that my father had to then disassemble with screwdrivers to get me out of, and fallen off everything I’ve ever climbed on, and refused to go to the ER, but I did sit out of high school bio class when we were dissecting body parts so I cannot relate on the severed head thing. However, I did it out of protest because we were dissecting lab animals and not people who had willingly donated their bodies. *puts flower in police rifle*

I never had an issue with dissection, but I like your reasoning behind sitting it out. That makes total sense to me. Also I’m so glad to hear that someone else out there has gotten stuck in an awkward place. That’s crazy that he had to disassemble the chair to get you out!

15. ambertherunner says:

First things first, there’s no way on earth I could hold a severed head (or half of one)- you are crazy (crazy cool). Through a 4-H club once, I got to go “behind the scenes” at a vet clinic. Long story short, I was picked as the vet assistant when the vet dissected a squirrel to show us all the innards. I had to leave the room halfway through after struggling not to vomit as soon as he dragged the scalpel down the little rodent’s body. Blood makes me super queasy.
    Pretty cool that Diddy liked your design on the section about him! I’d totally brag about that every chance I got at work 🙂

Haha as soon as I saw it I knew I had to hold it. I actually got in trouble in the same class for tapping another girl on the shoulder with one of the hands.

I might be sad to see a squirrel get dissected though. Squirrels are so cute.

And yes you know…Diddy and I are BFFs. 😉

16. Cynthia says:

Wow, so interesting! To hold half a head fearlessly yet flee from sparklers! I’m just the opposite. Although when I was a kid I was kinda terrified of the sparklers too. It’s crazy how some kids run around fearlessly with them!

I’m with you on the sparkler thing. I don’t know why but they totally freak me out. And you look like you’re having fun in the bike rack photo, I would never have guessed it was painful!

18. Running Bear says:

Definitely would have held the head. As a firefighter I got to hold lots of random severed and dead stuff, but never a head or half-head.

Thanks for sharing these 5, a great read for a Friday afternoon.

19. Hailey says:

Haha all of these were highly entertaining. I’ve never been stuck inside anything before. At least you could see outside. If I got stuck inside something and I couldn’t see anything I would panic.
    I think I would hold the head. I was totally freaked out about seeing a cadaver in anatomy class at first, but then when the time actually came I was completely fine.
    My 8 year old niece is way better with sparklers than I am, she loves to freak me out by getting as close to me as possible.
    And that is so scary about your fall of the cliff! I’m glad you’re okay!

20. runningsouthern says:

When I took A&P in college, we took the lab portion of the course in a human cadaver lab. A great opportunity to learn and so exciting for a total sicko and nerd like myself, but very morbid and disgusting for the normal person. Yes, human heads are very heavy.

21. runawaybridalplanner says:

LOL LOL great list!!! Love the severed head comment, I haven’t done that but I wouldn’t have a problem I have seen some pretty gross things working in the ER several years back.
    Love the bike rack picture too!!!

22. Pandora Viltis says:

The human head thing is sort of cool, but I like horror movies and Stephen King books, so…

However, the story of what happened when you hit your head hiking? That freaks me out. I am so glad that it turned out alright. And that you got out of the bike rack. Lol.

Sparklers eh? That’s a bit odd. And what’s up with this DC thing everyone keeps posting about? I thought it was Washington DC…I take it it’s not???
    Yes, I’ve held a head…but it was attached…and alive. (I could’ve easily gone the dirty route here).
    OK, long story, but I used to make training videos for firefighters. One time I took out (as friends) the daughter of a chief in Scotland. She ended up riding on a friends motorcycle. Her dad freaked when he found out. Said he recently came across a motorcyclist who crashed while going fast and his face grinded against the pavement for a long way to the point where it looked like half his head was undergound, but they lifted up his head and it had been worn off to that point. I’m sure you enjoy that story!

24. Jennifer says:

Eeeks on the severed head! The stuck in a bicycle rack was hilarious! I am also scared of sparklers.. always afraid they would not stop and burn my fingers!

25. themilereport says:

I like creepy and gross things too..I would have held the head!
    I don’t think I’ve gotten stuck in an odd place, nor do I think I’ve ever TRIED to climb into an odd place 😉

26. missadventuresinrunning says:

Wow! You have done some pretty intense things! I hate sparklers, too! I was at a wedding once and we made a little walkway for the bride and groom to leave through. A groomsman (drunk) thought he was awesome and tried to show off. He burnt his arm really bad!!

27. northernambitions says:

Yes I definitely would have held the head! Does that make me weird? How cool and so so creepy. That’s so exciting P Diddy liked your work and I’m sure it was nothing short of brilliant 🙂

28. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

PAHAHA bike rack. Sounds like something I would do. I’ve climbed up things, remembered I’m scared of heights and then required help getting down. I’m a cat basically. OMG your concussion!!!! And LOL in college anatomy and physiology, I had to dissect a cadaver. Yep. Horrible. And then I was no longer pre-med. True story.

Concussions and severed heads….wow, impressive. Yea, I recommend GOING to the ER after you are knocked unconscious…I’m just a trauma nurse though, what do I know 😉

30. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

I’m not afraid of sparklers, but I am afraid of balloons! Go figure! I don’t, however; like seeing young children allowed to use sparklers. It makes me very nervous!

Not so sure I would have volunteered to hold a human head, but I would have thought it to be very fascinating! Well, maybe not in high school, but definitely in college.