Falling in love with yoga all over again.

Lots of yoga on the blog this week! It’s no secret that I am a bit of a fanatic. Since 2008, my yoga practice has been a defining part of who I am as a person. One of my favorite things about it beyond how flexible and centered it has made me is that the learning never stops. I feel as if I’ve come away with something new after every single one of the classes I’ve taken.

Over the past month or so my studio practice has slacked hardcore. Yoga classes can be expensive and so are kids. I’ve been bringing my practice home and while I do benefit from it, in my opinion it’s just not the same. A yoga studio has a special energy to it that my house doesn’t have. I missed my yoga friends and instructors and getting adjusted to further get me into a posture. At the studio there aren’t any interruptions or a cat trying to climb on me while I’m doing floor poses.

Betty is OBSESSED with ballet and has been begging me to sign her up for lessons. She’s also takes gymnastics right now so I told her that after the summer is over we can go to a ballet class. I started doing some research on places around here that have dance programs for 2 year olds and I found a great one that is very conveniently located to our house. (The fall schedule hasn’t come out yet so fingers crossed that they will have anything on a Saturday!)

As I was checking the website I noticed that they have yoga there on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 12-1, which is basically my lunch break and that the price was considerably lower for a drop in than any of the other studios in the area. Perfect.

I planned to take my first class yesterday afternoon

What made this situation even more perfect is that I was having a REALLY crappy day. I woke up early and tried to go for a run and my knee wouldn’t let me. I’ve never DNFed a run in my life until then. I went to the gym instead – after having to turn around because I had left my phone at home – and hopped on the treadmill to walk and maybe jog a little bit if I was lucky. Luck not being on the menu for me, after about a minute there was some kind of system failure which shut the treadmill down with a jolt and I fell off it. It’s okay to laugh because now it’s funny, but at the time I was just OVER IT, angry, and kicking myself for not staying home to watch Peppa Pig with B.

Work has been REALLY intense lately with a lot of people going on vacation and my workload increasing exponentially to accommodate that, plus lots of other life stresses in general that I’m not going to bore you with because I like this blog to be a happy place. I feel like I have a lot on my plate, but then it was like I closed the door on all of these things – at least temporarily – as soon as I arrived at yoga class. I signed in with the very kind instructor and she showed me back to the studio: a large, high ceiling-ed, slightly heated, dimly lit, uncrowded room with good music playing. I felt right at home.

The class itself consisted of a fairly standard vinyasa series, but something was really different for me. Maybe it had a little to do with missing the studio experience so much, but I felt extra strong, extra focused. Then while in pigeon pose the most marvelous thing happened.

Interesting yoga fact that you might not have known: It’s not uncommon to get supremely emotional during a hip opening pose such as pigeon. The theory is that we carry negative emotions such as stress, fear, and guilt in our pelvis and sometimes in a very deep hip opening stretch, these emotions can be released.

This is what happened to me and…yep. I cried. A lot. I’m glad that the room was dark-ish and my head was facing the floor. It was ugly and and it was WONDERFUL. Then the instructor shared this quote with us. It made an enormous impact on me…

My new favorite quote that I have to pass along to absolutely everyone I know. It might sound a little weird that I’m so jazzed about ugly crying in yoga class, but it was exactly what I needed. The floodgates had opened and I can’t even put into words how much better I felt afterward. I felt healed. I wanted to hug the instructor, but that probably would have been a little inappropriate so instead I went to Starbucks.

It was like I fell in love with my yoga practice all over again. I can’t wait to go back on Friday.

If you do yoga, have you ever had an emotional experience in one of your classes? If not…have you ever ugly cried during any other kind of workout? (It’s okay to admit it! We’re all friends here!)

Namaste,

65 thoughts on “Falling in love with yoga all over again.

Oh lawdy, Salt. You and your exercise induced ugly crying. Ha, I know what you mean though, yoga can be very emotional – just like running can be. I’ve been brought to tears a time or two at a big race. And I always feel different after yoga – like I want to do better things.
    Glad it worked out for you. I recently had to leave the yoga class I was taking for years, but it’s been good because now I’m taking classes that are opening me up to new styles and experiences. Love it!

I JUST HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS!!!
      Yoga definitely makes me want to do better things! I felt like a completely different person for the rest of the day. So much more present and focused on what I needed to do even when it was hectic at work. I’m glad you love your new classes!

2. Run Colby Run says:

Salty Tear Salt. I know exactly what you mean. And I also know that I need more yoga in my life. I ALWAYS feel better– centered, open and firmly rooted after a class. I actually did have an emotional moment and busted into tears!!! It was in a Yin Yoga class, where you hold the poses for MINUTES on end. Lost my shit a little bit. You’ve inspired me to get back into it. And besides. I have a groupon to an awesome studio down the road from work which is DELUXE. My goal is to balance 3 glasses of wine on me while in a RIDICULOUS pose. 😉 xoxo

You have no idea what a huge compliment that is for me to hear. You should definitely go back! Yoga is truly life changing! Hooray for Groupons! I’m going to need you to take a dragonfly wine table picture and send it to me as soon as you learn it. 🙂 You make my day. ❤

3. emmelineruns says:

I don’t do yoga but I find I get very upset when I do hip stretches which is funny, and I heard that theory last year about holding stress there so I found it very interesting. I’ve never cried during a workout unless the last 100 yards of my first marathon counts…I wasn’t full on crying but definitely a tear in my eye! I sure hope that quote ends up being true for me over the next year or so though….big life changes coming up.

The first time I heard it it just made so much sense. Also the theories on how different sides of your body represent the relationships you have with people. I have always found those to be so true for me as well. Tears in your eyes finishing a marathon definitely counts! That’s one of my top emotional experiences too! I hope this quote is true for you as well and that you have smooth sailing through everything coming up. 🙂

4. Jennifer says:

Thanks for this! I was totally considering skipping my usual Thursday night yoga class just because I’m feeling lazy, but how could I do that now with this inspiration? 🙂 Haven’t cried in yoga, but I’ve shed many tears while running (which, ugh, from a respiratory perspective can get pretty nasty)

Haha ohhh I know all about that from some of my run-cries. 🙂
      I’m so glad you are going to go tonight! Hearing that really puts a big smile on my face. I hope you have the most wonderful class!

This post is making me SO EXCITED to get back to yoga. I just joined a new gym that offers classes, and I’m hoping they’re good. I was practicing heated power yoga pretty regularly before Ben and I moved back to VT last fall, and I miss it a lot. Practicing yoga is the only time I’m ever fully present in the moment.

6. hellyontherun says:

I’m so glad you felt better! ❤
    I've cried during and after quite a few runs. I think a lot when I run and sometimes my thoughts and the emotions of a run get the best of me 🙂
    I think exercise is cathartic in that way–it allows us to release emotions inside that we haven't for whatever reason been able to get out.
    Love you amiga!

7. Sara says:

To quote Colby above “I need more yoga in my life” I haven’t taken a class in quite a long time, but I always loved it. I just can’t fit it into my schedule right now.

I actually had an ugly cry during a run a few weeks ago – I was on the trail with no one around so I let it out. Sometimes you just gotta let it fly.

Glad to hear your day turned around!

It’s funny–I know that so many people often feel emotional during hip openers–like pigeon and camel, but I usually feel it at the very beginning of class, when the teacher sets up the class with an intention. So frequently over the past few months, since I have become rigorous with my practice again, these intentions have aligned with my life in the most amazing way. Those are the moments that I get chills, nearly come to tears. The entire rest of the class, it is just a pure and unadulterated release.

Yoga is so great for runners but it’s something I really slack on. But reading your post makes me want to find time to do a class. Super interesting tidbit about pigeon pose!

10. Michele says:

Yoga has been amazing for me – it let’s me leave so much on the mat and helps my anxiety. (If I had a super power, I could be Anxiety Girl!) So glad to hear it helped you, ugly cry and all. Sometimes, those are what we need!

Hahaha that reminds me of this awesome Natalie Dee cartoon that I totally relate to. I struggled with anxiety issues for the longest time and that’s really why I started doing yoga in the first place. But then it became so much more than that! I’m so glad you have found similar relief with your practice!

11. Laura @ the gluten-free treadmill says:

I love this – and I’m so glad you posted it. I know that I need yoga, but I neglect it the more I run. I also have no excuse not to go because classes are free through the wellness center at my university. I’m sorry about your run but glad you had such a positively cathartic experience at yoga!

Thank you! 🙂 Honestly I’ve let it slip a little bit myself but my experience yesterday showed me how much I really do need it and I’ve resolved to get to more classes whenever I can.

12. Girl Runs Wild says:

Great post! It’s awesome that you found a yoga class to go to in your lunch break. I used to teach yoga when I was at uni, and it’s definitely a part of my life. I very much believe that physical release of any kind can bring emotional release. Just look at how many people cry when they go to see their physiotherapists! I’m glad that it was a healing experience for you!

13. The running Schlub says:

I have never done a yoga class but I’ve had plenty of eyes welling up moments at our big races. You just go through so many emotions when your pushing the physical limitations of your body. In the end it’s always a great feeling. Great post today and thanks for sharing.

14. vegasmotherrunner says:

Awwww girl, I’m sorry you’re going through a tough time but so glad that you got in some yoga therapy. I’ve never cried during a workout, but if I ever do a full marathon I might. I hope your knee gets feeling better!

15. Julie W says:

Everytime I hear you talk about yoga, you make me want to try it SO bad. I get nervous about group exercise and I’m the least flexible person I know. I’m afraid it will be terrible. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet!

Don’t be nervous! I know it seems really overwhelming but trust me…everyone is there for their own personal reasons and you could fall flat on your face and no one would care. 🙂 I think you should try it! If you ever want me to go with you, let me know!

Ok I like this post a lot. I really need to get back into yoga. I found it years ago and it was just what I had always been looking for. I actually have an online membership to yogaglo and they have instructors just for runners. I have been very emotional lately and could use some meditation. Really glad I read this post.

I’ve never heard of YogaGlo, but I’m looking at it right now and it seems awesome! I would love to do a class catered specifically to runners. I hope you can find a class and that it helps you as much as it helped me. 🙂

17. The Running Chef says:

Yay! So glad to hear this, I had a similar experience earlier this year in yoga. I am just sad I cannot find a good studio where I am now. I think this afternoon I am going to try out an online class, see if youtube has anything good. Thanks for sharing your experience. It is great to see another runner so excited about it 🙂

YogaJournal has a decent YouTube channel and also if you have access to OnDemand on television they have some good stuff on there too! Let me know what you find and if you like it! I’m always looking for more suggestions of videos I can do at home when I can’t get to class. 🙂

18. Tgellenbeck1 says:

I have not [yet] had an emotional yoga experience, but as a former running junkie, I have LOVED the added benefits of yoga lately. In fact, I’ve been blogging about it too 🙂 And I agree, although it is expensive and hard to squeeze into your schedule as a working momma, I feel the studio is such a different experience. I try to get there even if it is just once or twice a month. Hope your knee is better soon!! Until then, enjoy some time on the mat 🙂

I totally agree! Yoga and running go hand in hand for me and compliment each other perfectly. It’s definitely a challenge fitting it into the schedule, but at least it is the kind of thing that I can do at home if I am really short on time/funds. It’s just so nice to be able to get to the studio and I’m glad I found a new place to go that is cheaper and works with my schedule! And thank you so much…I hope it’s better soon too. Resting it for the next couple of days (and hopefully more yoga tomorrow will speed up the healing as it usually does!)

It’s really life changing. I used to have tons of anxiety issues that I was on medication for years ago and yoga helped me get off that and I’ve never had to take them again. It’s so good for you. 🙂 I think you should take a class and then tell me all about how it goes! ❤

19. candies & crunches says:

Hmmmm… Never heard about this fact, but, I guess, it does make sense. I’ve never really got emotional during my workouts *tears of pain don’t count lol*, but I’m kind of happy that it happened to you. Not in a sense that I wanted you to cry, but because you were able to let it out. I also love the quote. I actually just printed it out to have a constant reminder that whatever happens, happens for the best. I hope your knee gets better soon! Cheer up, life is beautiful ❤ xoxo

PS. I've been falling in love with stretching again too. It just makes me feel good!

I have just started taking yoga classes and I love them! I think they’re a great complement to running! I started it with an Amazon local deal that only lasts for 20 classes. I’m addicted after just 3 classes and already wondering how I’m ever going to pay to keep taking the classes later on…but I guess I’ll worry about that later and just enjoy it for now!

21. Jennifer says:

Betty in ballet shoes and a tutu will = blog cuteness overload! I was a swimmer growing up and would cry during sets (especially if our coach made us start all over again for interval like sprints).. luckily we were in the water so no one could tell.. but my googles would fog up!

22. themilereport says:

Thanks for sharing! I bet that cry felt SO GOOD.
    I’ve never cried in yoga, but I’ve cried on plenty of runs from pent up emotion.
    I also cried at the start line of my first marathon when my dad hugged me and left for his own (faster) corral. And I cried at the finish line, but there wasn’t any liquid in my body to form tears

23. Pandora Viltis says:

I ended up being the only person in my sun salutations class today, and the instructor asked me if I wanted to do pigeon and I was all “nope nope nope” because of my hip. We did a modified lizard instead.

I love how calming yoga us for me. I’m in a bit of transition with where I practice because they keep doing away with the classes I enjoy, so I may go to a new studio. I hope I have a good experience at a new place like you did.

24. thefitpepper says:

It has happened to me a couple of times! Once in yoga, and the instructor did the same, said a very inspirational quote/story (the one about the two wolves living inside of you) and it has stuck with me! The next was during a run – outside in broad daylight! Embarrassing but gosh you feel so much better afterwards!!

Awesome! I totally get what you mean by crying being awesome, sometimes you just need to get it out and sometimes it happens in an unexpected way! I’m glad you found an awesome new place to do yoga. Hopefully you’ll get to go a lot!

26. northernambitions says:

It sounds like you have a ton on your plate! And I didn’t know that about yoga or pigeon pose, which is one of my all time favourite poses because it feels so fricking good on my running hips. I hope you have a relaxing weekend without stupid non functioning treadmills and work.

27. Running Bear says:

During marathon training, sometimes during late miles of the weekly long run, I’d start to visualize the finish line and get teary. Not quite the full blown ugly cry, but enough that people I passed would give a funny look at the weird crying running guy.

28. irishrunnerchick says:

I’m just coming back to yoga after a 6ish week break and am loving it! I’ve never gotten that emotional in class – I think my super tight hips aren’t quite ready to let go. But stretching everything out felt so good.

29. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

LOVE it!! and unfortunately I’m lame and don’t do yoga. However I told myself that I would this afternoon because you and Pirate Scott have convinced me 🙂 I think the only time I ugly-cried while working out was when I got tackled during FLAG football in college by a 6’4″ 250lb dude/ass-wipe.