The third and final day of the Fit Foodie Race Weekend consisted of our choice of a yoga class or boot camp, followed by a brunch. At first I was a little sad to be the only Ambassador who didn’t sign up for the boot camp, but yoga is WAY more my thing and once I saw the photos that my friend Amy posted up on Facebook of her doing box jumps, I knew I had made the right decision.

“Sunrise Yoga” was a total misnomer because sunrise occurred at around 20 to 6 and the event didn’t start until 9. However, I still woke up at 6:15 to get a couple circuits in at the hotel gym before heading back over to the Mosaic District. Gotta do something to burn off all that cheese I had been eating.

Actually there wasn’t too much sun at all when I arrived, but at least it wasn’t raining. The workshop, presented by PlainSmart and led by celebrity fitness trainer and Health Magazine wellness contributer, Kristin McGee, was being held on the lawn outside the Angelika Film Center which is a very cool complex that apparently shows movies outside sometimes and everyone brings a lawn chair and can enjoy for free. (On Friday night as we were leaving the cocktail party, the new Superman movie was playing and I wondered if this is just a summer thing. Probably.) Anyway, I stopped by the registration table – where I was recognized as an Ambassador which made me feel all important, natch – and was the first person to roll out my mat. The big screen above me was cycling pictures of tranquil landscapes which I thought was a nice touch.

I tried to get a picture and it didn't really turn out, but you get the idea. Is that hot lava on there? I guess that's not very tranquil.

I tried to get a picture and it didn’t really turn out, but you get the idea. Is that burning hot lava on there? I guess that’s not very tranquil.

I stretched a bit and then settled onto my mat to sit and wait as other yogis set up their mats around me.

photo-5

Eventually someone came by and told us that we needed to squeeze our mats together because so many people were coming. I’ve been in way crowded classes before so I didn’t bat an eye. But I did notice that once Kristin took the stage and the class was starting that there really wasn’t any need for us to be all on top of each other. There was plenty of room on the lawn for everyone to have a fair amount of personal space. Whatever. It was fine.

photo-3

We started out with some technical difficulties and I’m telling you there is just no better way to relax and get centered at the start of yoga class than with some microphone feedback blowing out your eardrums! (All joking aside, they fixed it quickly.) Having never worked out with a “celebrity trainer” before unless you count cursing at Jillian Michaels on my TV screen, I had no idea what to expect and I ended up pleasantly surprised. Kristin led us through some moderately challenging vinyasa sequences that were easy to modify to fit our own individual practices, even throwing in some opportunities for inversions and arm balances. 2 of my favorites things! I have only practiced yoga outside one other time in my life and even then we were under a tent so the biggest challenge for me was getting my eyes adjusted every time I turned my gaze upward. Cloudy skies made everything super glarey. Also the ground was a little uneven and which threw my balance off a couple times, but overall I loved it. There was a nice calm breeze too that felt great, especially as we relaxed in savasana. There were even a couple girls on hand from Spark Yoga to help with adjustments. Having someone lean into my back while I was in pigeon pose was exactly what I – and my hips – needed after Saturday’s race.

The class lasted for an hour and afterward Kristin invited people to ask questions if they had any or see her about a DVD if they wanted one. I liked her. Had I had my wallet on me at the time, I might have even gone to see her for a DVD. Unfortunately I couldn’t even stay for the brunch though; I needed to get home to Betty. I swung by the host tent for some more of this delicious snack mix they had been handing out all weekend, hit up the now-familiar Starbucks in Target across the street, and headed back up to Baltimore feeling relaxed and happy.

In hindsight I should have been a fangirl and asked Kristin to take a photo with me for the blog, but I didn’t even think of it until I was already in the car. Ambassador fail. (My hair looked like crap anyway.)

Aside from some minor technical difficulties and potholes, I loved this event. It was described as being geared toward beginner and intermediate yogis, but with all the modification possibilities I really thought it was great for everyone. And for me personally, the best ending to any race weekend is an invigorating yoga class! Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Have you taken a really great yoga class lately? Have you ever worked out with a celebrity trainer?

Also today I have a JAMBERRY WINNER!! Thank you so much to my lovely friend, Michelle, for helping me host such a cool giveaway. The winner is:

juliewinner

CONGRATULATIONS, JULIE!!!

I will be messaging you shortly to coordinate your prize! I hope you love Jamberry as much as I do!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday! Stay tuned for ALL THE FOOD tomorrow!

32 thoughts on “Recap: Sunrise Yoga with Celebrity Trainer, Kristin McGee {Plus a Jamberry Winner!}

1. Pip {Cherries & Chisme} says:

Outdoor yoga sounds so much fun, and I bet it was the perfect recovery for the day after a race as well!
    I’ve always wanted to go to an outdoor cinema! I went to an indoor one in New Zealand once where you sat in giants sofas or old cars, super cool!

It really was perfect! Even with the overcast skies, it was such a nice change from practicing inside! That cinema in New Zealand sounds AWESOME! Old cars?? I LOVE that!

There was actual food! Haha I’ve been avoiding talking about it until tomorrow. But there will be more wine tomorrow too probably because that’s how I roll. 🙂

2. Shawna says:

this is totally making me want to get into yoga! i’ve never worked out with a celebrity trainer and would relish that opportunity to have my butt kicked.

I’ve never practiced yoga outside–depending on the weather, I bet it’s lovely! I’m hoping to get back into yoga soon, since I have a shiny new gym membership that’s about to start 🙂

I love Julie’s little icon, btw. I have a yoga instructor that I am a bit obsessed with here, and I went last night even though Alex was off and we’ve hardly seen each other. And I’m so glad that I did. I love getting that kind of inspired by someone or something. I will say that I am an extremely hard sell, so it is often best that I don’t know that they are famous are I will be extra mean and judgy!
    I would consider working out with you to be working out with a celebrity 😀 But don’t worry, i wouldn’t be judgy.
    Oh and I haven’t worked out with a celeb trainer, per se, but I HAVE been worked on by a celebrity trainer–my physical therapists are the people who work on the majority of the pro teams around here!

Hehe I know right? I actually know Julie and her kids are freaking adorable. I have an instructor that I love so so so much too and I haven’t gotten a chance to take class with her in forever because she only teaches on a night when I can’t go. 😦

I want to teach yoga so badly, but I feel like I would be so awkward in front of people. I guess it gets better with practice. That’s so cool that your PT works with pro athletes!

Have you ever tried the free outdoor yoga at the inner harbor? I remember last summer there were frequent issues with microphone feedback (or the microphone just not working…) but I think they got it all figured out. I like that the class can be for all levels, plus its outside! (but as far as I know, no celebrity trainers are involved).

6. Sara says:

I do yoga videos, but I haven’t done one lately. Yoga outside sounds extra relaxing – especially if you can do it on a beach or near a stream.

Congrats Julie on the Jamberry!

So glad you enjoyed the yoga! I was so bummed I had to miss out on this!! Next year I won’t schedule myself to work on the same weekend so I can partake in ALL of the festivities!!

8. themilereport says:

I think I would have picked boot camp over the yoga class…only because you don’t typically hold moves/poses as long in boot camp. I am baaaaad at balancing. I’m taking a yoga class twice a week this summer, and I hope the more I do it, the more I’ll like it. That happens, right?

9. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Sounds like a really fun time! I love yoga outside and I espeically love yoga festivals! The last yoga practice I did was at the Wanderlust festival a few weeks ago and my body is craving it again. PS you have a really cute yoga mat!

10. northernambitions says:

My cousin is a yoga teacher and I took one of her courses and loved it! It was one of the best yoga experience I’ve ever had and I was only mildly biased because I’m related to her 🙂 So glad you had fun and I would have been the same and completely forgotten about taking a celeb picture or I would have been to nervous!

11. Jennifer says:

Cute yoga mat! I forgot the name of the “celebrity yoga instructor” we had at SeaWheeze last year- it was beautiful (at the beach) but a bit messy (sand everywhere). Glad you had a great racecation!

12. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

LOVEEE it!! Sounds like so much fun but that would drive me crazy if they called it sunrise yoga and it was at 9AM. I take things very literally so I probably would have been out there, waiting at 5:40…all by myself…curled up in a ball…napping until 9 😉

13. irishrunnerchick says:

This sounds like so much fun! I need to get back into a regular yoga routine. And yoga outside would be awesome – ideally on a tropical beach at sunrise……..or sunset (I’m not picky!).

Awesome! Looks like a great practice! I like the Lululemon classes I’ve been going to – different instructor each week. This month the studio that sponsors it has an instructor and an assistant to come around and adjust our poses. Since I do not embarrass easily, I appreciate the adjustments!