An apple a day.

A little random something about me that might come as kind of a surprise from someone who leads a healthy(ish) lifestyle:

I hate fruit. I have hated it for my entire life.

During the summer months when everyone is chilling out with huge, juicy watermelon wedges:

Thank goodness the fruit hatred skipped a generation.

Thank goodness the fruit hatred skipped a generation.

I’m over here like, “gross no thanks”. Biting into a piece of fruit and trying to swallow it will literally cause me to gag, so I always thought it had something to do with texture. I couldn’t even bite into a strawberry without gagging. Everyone who isn’t allergic to strawberries loves them! WTF is wrong with me?? Thankfully at one point some genius invented smoothies allowing me to take in my fruit in liquid form. It would be all good until I encountered a chunk of anything in my drink and then…straight in the trash.

Usually when I tell people I hate fruit, they look at me like I just told them I hate puppies.

Recently, however, I’ve noticed that something seems to have happened with my palate. The last time I attempted to eat an apple was in July of 2006. I remember it really well because I practically threw up afterward. Anyway, the other day we were having dinner with my mom and she had cut up an apple for Betty to eat and then was eating some herself dipped in a caramel sauce. That sauce looked so freaking delicious and I really wanted to try it, but then thought it would probably be in poor taste to just stick my finger in the container. So I grabbed a piece of the apple and dipped it in, fully expecting my body to react in the same violent way it always had the moment it passed my lips.

And then…it didn’t. I don’t remember what kind of apple it was, but it was cool and crisp and delicious. It had started out as a vehicle to get that caramel sauce into my mouth, but suddenly that sauce was secondary. It was very good, but I didn’t even need it to disguise what I was eating anymore. THIS is why people eat apples! It was like a whole new world of possibilities opened up for me in that moment.

At the grocery store the other day, I bought apples that were meant for Betty, but I fully intended to eat some myself. I have NEVER bought an apple for myself ever in my whole life. Last night as I packed her lunch, I sliced one of them up and ate it as I worked, feeling very proud of myself.

Yes I know it’s probably a stupid thing to feel pride in, but after 36 years of not being able to choke down an apple, I consider this a huge victory.

Then I got to thinking about why this might have happened. Unless you count my ability to make a killer baking soda volcano, I’m no scientist. But I’m wondering if maybe the fact that I cleaned my diet up a bit last year – I still eat some things that are processed, but I cut a lot of it out and really ramped it up with the fresh veggies – has anything to do with the fact that apples are awesome now. I really feel like I could eat one every day. It kind of makes me want to try other fruits as well just to see if I can magically swallow them all of a sudden.

But back to apples…there are so many different varieties out there that I don’t even know where to start. I can’t remember the kind that I was eating at my mom’s house, but last night I had a Granny Smith and liked that just fine. I would love to hear what your faves are though so I can add them to my shopping list!

Fruit-Apples-Wallpapers0

Salt’s Totally Random Apple Poll

And any other fruit that you love that I should be trying? Do you have any weird food aversions? What do you think of my theory?

Please also note that bananas are out. As a runner you have no idea how much I wish I could eat a banana what with them being the standard at every post-race and the base ingredient of 98% of all smoothies. BUT I’m allergic so that is the one fruit that I can legit not eat. The struggle is real.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

93 thoughts on “An apple a day.

1. samantha couch says:

fruit is the bulk of my diet! i do NOT like bananas though. i can put them in my smoothie, but the texture of a banana makes me gag. other than that, i love everything. berries of any type, those teeny oranges called cuties (i mean…how can you not love that?), grapes (especially frozen), ranier cherries (be careful with the seeds), pretty much everything except any type of melon/honeydew/papaya. GAG. what’s next on your fruit adventure?

Berries have been growing on me lately too! Especially blackberries. I don’t think I’ll ever have love for melon though. Or grapefruit. I just don’t like the taste. I think I might go for oranges next because I have always wanted to love them. 🙂

2. Girl Runs Wild says:

Wow, it’s amazing that you never liked any fruit at all – they are all so different! I love many types of fruit, and pretty much end up eating at least an apple a day – only because I like them a they make great snacks. Pink Lady are my favourite, they are so crunchy and sweet. 😀 Your post has made me think about my own journey with bananas: I used to not tolerate them well at all, they always upset my stomach. As you have pointed out, that’s not exactly great news for a runner! However, lately, I find that I can not only eat them, but they are actually starting to grow on me (not literally of course, that would be taking it a little too far!). I think our preferences and allergies just change over time, so it’s worth a shot to keep trying! 😀

Ah I’ve heard of Pink Lady! I should have had that on the poll. 🙂 I’m going to come home with the most varied bag of apples and my husband is going to be so confused. 🙂 I’m a little wary of trying banana again only because my daughter eats them all the time and I’ve cross contaminated other food I’ve been making with my banana hands and my mouth started to itch. It would be one thing I’d love to get over though.

3. Jen Rawson, RD (@PrettyLilGrub) says:

I think your tastes change hugely as you age. It’s a good idea to constantly try things even tough you hated them your whole life. I can’t tell you the number of things that used to make me gag that are now my favourite foods. My apples HAVE to be crispy – I like gala the best. Something like a red delicious is a NO, too soft.

4. Cynthia says:

You are right, that really surprised me! I love fruit and wished I could have picked more than one apple type- gala, honeycrisp, macintosh, golden delicious. They’re all a little different. The problem with fruit is you can get some really bad ones at the store. Like, yuk, they don’t even taste like they’re supposed to. One thing I’m loving right now is organic red grapes. They’re really sweet and crisp to crunch on and juicy too. I just bought some organic cherries that are pretty delicious too. I hope you find some more fruit you can like. It’ll really add variety.

5. Mandi says:

I second “cuties”. I find the pulp/stringy-bits in those much easier to eat than real oranges. I “buy them for the kids” regularly, and then eat them myself. Hehe.
    Up until the last couple of years, I HATED all types of melons. My baby boy likes them though, so I gave them another try and SHOCK, now I really like cantaloupe and watermelon. Who’d have guessed!?

6. emmelineruns says:

WELL, I’m the worst person ever to ask about favorite apples. I found out I was allergic as a toddler and have no memory of how they taste. I also think watermelon and all melons are disgusting. I absolutely loooove berries though, I’d put them on all kinds of stuff!

Oh noooooo allergies suck. I couldn’t tell you what a banana tasted like either, but I do know that the smell of them makes me nauseous. I think you may be the only other person I know that doesn’t like watermelon.

• txa1265 says:

How do you find people deal with your apple allergy? My wife always gets a shocked reaction like it is impossible or something … oh, and of course there is the fun supermarket shuffle since apple juice makes such a great cheap filler! 🙂

• emmelineruns says:

People either think I’m making it up or are just shocked and tell me they’ve never heard of that. Even when I had surgery and they normally give apple juice and they gave me OJ, the nurses all felt the need to tell me how weird it was! And I’ve learned to stay away from all fun fruit juices/smoothies since nearly every single one has apple juice (especially green juices!). The worst was a hidden problem, my local Mexican joint added it to their salsa of the month once and I had a massive reaction. Last place I expected to find apple! I’m sorry that your wife has the same issues but she’s the first kindred spirit I’ve ever heard of so I feel a bond 😉

• txa1265 says:

haha ‘allergy buddies’ 🙂 But wow on the salsa! That is one I wouldn’t have guessed either! We get the pure cranberry juice (for cosmos 🙂 ) and when we needed cherry juice for a recipe we ended up with the stuff that costs $7.50 for a liter! ugh! People (like me) with no allergy and intolerance issues really have no clue what it is like worrying so much about whether your food is going to attack you! 🙂

That is pretty funny. I love fruit, but hey we all have our things right? Honeycrisps are by far my favorite. Summer is definitely when I crave copious amounts of fruit.

8. Run Colby Run says:

I. Am. Stunned. ALL FRUIT? No fresh summer peaches? No ripe cantaloupe? NO GODDAMN BLUEBERRIES?!?!? {Faints.} What on earth happened? Texture? The mealy-ness of it? I am so proud of you for eating an apple! So many yummy ones to choose from! I’m a fan of macoun. Tart yet sweet and crisp. Actually, I’m a fruit superfan so you can imagine my horror when My Idol Salt, said she’d rather have a head full of gnats than eat a slice of watermelon. Give it a whirl. Or. Simply stick to apples. They’re fantastic for you! 🙂

None of the aforementioned! I like blueberries okay in smoothies but they are really the one berry I can’t really get on board to eat yet. Not even in a muffin. I have problems. Mmmmm tart/sweet/crisp sounds perfect! I’m on the look out for these now!

I feel you on the fruit thing. It took me a loooong time to like anything other than apples. Bananas are still hit or miss for me. Sometimes I love them, sometimes they make me gag. Berries tend to freak me out a little bit–especially hairy ones like raspberries. And I’ve never eaten a peach–the fuzz is weird. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to like more fruits. I just wish I liked more of them and ate them more frequently.

Fuji apples are consistently good, and pink ladies are also awesome, crisp and a little bit tart–yum!

AHHH someone agrees with me! 😀 Thank you for making me feel a little less crazy. I do like raspberries now but the hair thing used to freak me out as well. I really need to go apple shopping on my lunch break today.

10. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

So happy you found a fruit that you like now! Honeycrisps are my favorite but they are hella expensive… which blows. Mike and I like anything that’s sweet and tart together, and very, very crunchy – I hate red delicious they are just mushy and odd to me.

Sweet + tart + crunch sounds dreamy! (And mushy does not sound like my style at all.) Looks like I’m going to have to shell out the extra money for honeycrisp!

11. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

PAHAHA you crack me up! If it makes you feel better, my coworker’s daughter is the same way. She HATES fruit because of the texture we think. She will drink a smoothie but if she gets a chunk of fruit she’ll toss the drink. Welcome to the apple-lovin’ club!

Thanks!! It’s good to be here. 🙂 It’s so rare that I hear of someone else who is weird like me so it’s nice to hear I’m not the only one that would toss a smoothie due to a fruit chunk.

I have always loved apples – and ALL fruits and veggies … but as I have written about Lisa is allergic to apples and intolerant (at least) to many tree and other fruits (and nuts, and trees themselves). Even though she is allergic we go apple picking every fall and I really love them all … delicious, Macintosh, Granny Smith, and so on.

I find that things like tastes and the impact of hormones and other biochemical changes (like your dietary changes and running) on our tastes and eating. I can’t stand packaged stuff at this point (based on two years of my dietary shifts), and we have seen changes in what Lisa can and can’t eat (documented on my guest posts at Laura’s). I don’t understand it all … but it really is a thing!

I am excited you are now able to tolerate some fruits and hope they continue to work for you!

Oh I love that it’s really a thing! It made sense to me when I was thinking about it. I’m so excited about it too. Fruit is such a staple of healthy eating and ever since I made the conscious choice to go that route it has been frustrating me that I didn’t like any of it. (Whereas years ago I wouldn’t have cared less.)

This is hilarious. I have only known one other person with a complete aversion to fruit, but she was also maybe the pickiest eater ever, so unsuprising. I go through phases with fruit–where I am allllll about it, or I’m not so much into it.
    Taste buds and preferences definitely change. I used to gag at the thought of avocados, now I like them. A big part of it was finding the right application and then working my way in. But yeah, as you age, your taste buds begin to die off, so food is less loathesome, taste-wise. Texturally, that is a change in preference.
    What about peaches?

I swear I was the only person in the state of California that didn’t like avocado. That for sure is a texture thing because the taste doesn’t bother me so much. I never knew that about taste buds! Very interesting! I haven’t attempted to eat a peach for like a decade, but I don’t think I would like it just because I don’t like the smell. You never know though. I’m about to get all kinds of experimental up in here.

14. vegasmotherrunner says:

Lunchbox size gala apples all the way! So crisp and delicious! I actually hate green apples (too sour) and red delicious apples (too mushy). What about fresh pineapple? You can never go wrong there…it’s like eating candy.

15. Hailey says:

Haha my brother is the same way with fruit. But I do sometimes think it correlates to the way the rest of your diet is. His eating habits are terrible! We have so many weird food aversions in my family. My mom doesn’t like bananas, my sister-in-law doesn’t like fish, my grandpa used to say all.the.time….”I like ketchup, but I don’t like tomatoes” every time he ate ketchup lol, my sister doesn’t like marinara sauce, and I don’t like avocado unless the taste isn’t overpowering like if it’s in salsa or there’s ranch mixed with it.

That’s how I feel about avocado too. The taste doesn’t bother me so much if it’s just a bit of it, but it can get overpowering really quickly. (Plus I’m not keen on the texture. Too slimy.)

16. Amy says:

There’s a problem with your poll: I’m only allowed to choose one favorite! Haha…I really like apples. I picked Granny Smith above (they are my favorite year round), but I also really love Cortland, and Golden Delicious when they are fresh and in season.

In terms of other fruit, how do you feel about grapes? I have always thought of grapes as nature’s candy (in a sarcastic way, but also it’s true). Frozen green grapes are terrific this time of year!

Weird food aversion: milk. I just can’t. .

Ahhh I should have made it so people could pick more options! (First time doing a poll and I have no idea what I’m doing.) The issue I’ve always had with grapes is that I don’t like biting into things that are juicy. Same issue with oranges and things like that. But I love grape juice. And wine. So maybe I should try those again. Plus I think the last time I had a grape, I didn’t know of the existence of seedless ones.

• Amy says:

I was just kidding about the poll..it’s not the poll, it’s my indecisiveness (another example: I have been trying to decide on a fall marathon for almost 2 months now…still not any closer).

Seeds are so annoying. I’m too lazy for things like that, cherries, olives…too much work. 🙂

17. michelle says:

Oh man, I had no idea people hated fruit! That stinks about the bananas. I like most fruit, but I am super lazy about cutting it up. Strawberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas, pineapple and kiwis are probably my fave. People are usually shocked that I don’t eat seafood. No fish, no shrimp, no crab. If it came out of the sea, I don’t want to see it or smell it. Apparently growing up in Maryland and not eating crab is a crime!

Haha I think there are only like 5 of us on the planet. I will definitely eat pretty much anything that is seafood though! No judgement on those who don’t but I have definitely heard the whole thing about how can you be a Marylander without eating crabs. (My husband doesn’t really like steamed crab very much, but I think that’s just because having to pick them annoys him.)

Ha, I added a write in vote.
    When I was growing up we never had fruits or veggies in the house. My mom still won’t many. I assumed I hated them too until I started eating them for the first time as an adult. Oh man, what was I missing!!!!!!
    Ha, it’s funny about the kids – our 2 year old will eat cherry tomatoes like candy, and the 5 year old won’t even eat anything that comes in contact with one.
    Good luck on your (and my) food journey!!!

I don’t recall fruit ever being in the house when I was little either, but I thought maybe that’s just because I wouldn’t eat it. My mom definitely made me eat my veggies though! Kids are definitely weird with the eating. Betty doesn’t like bread in any form, so it makes it hard to pack school lunch because I can’t just make her a sandwich. She won’t even eat pizza. I don’t think I’ve ever met a kid that doesn’t like pizza.

19. northernambitions says:

Well I’m excited you enjoyed the apple because they’re one of my all time favourite snacks. I buy galas like they’re going out of style and recently branched off to the honeycrips (also tasty) but I’m picky about apples because the bad ones are so so bad. Other gooders are blueberries and mangoes! So tasty. I am obsessed with chocolate and my cousins hate it. I used to think they were just lying as kids because I couldn’t fathom how anyone would hate chocolate but now I realize we all have different tastes and it’s totally legit to not like something like fruit.

Well thank you. 🙂 Usually people think I’m a weirdo. My daughter LOVES mangoes!! We were someplace ordering smoothies and she requested mango and my husband was like “just get her strawberry” and I was like “no trust me”. And she drank the whole thing. Thank goodness she’s not as picky as I am!

Awesome! I’m glad to know that my theory is correct. 🙂 I think I may definitely re-try peaches. Everyone else seems to love them! (And I know they are a great summertime fruit!)

20. Pandora Viltis says:

I like fruit, but I generally don’t get all excited about it the way I do vegetables. Except that I think technically tomatoes and eggplant are fruit and I LOVE those. I eat a banana every morning, but you can’t do those.

What’s really, really great is when you get a perfect peach. But most of the grocery store ones are kind of mealy and gross. If you can find them at the farmer’s market, they can be divine.

I LOVE me some vegetables. Like I’ll steam a huge amount of asparagus and then just sit there and eat it out of a bowl as a snack. Or broccoli. Those are my two favorites, but really I’ll eat anything green.

I was already thinking I should try to get to a Farmer’s Market for apples and maybe I’ll get myself a peach too just to see how that works out. 🙂

21. Kerrie says:

Well done you! I know that gag reflex is bad! I despise melons. Yack. I love green apples more then red – Don’t mind Pink Ladys, Fujis, but love Granny Smith!
    Pineapples, so long as they are soft, not hard, they are nice!

You’ll have to make an apple crumble/pie now 😉

22. Running Bear says:

Your taste buds definitely do change with exposure to good foods. When I first started cleaning up my act, I didn’t have the hugely negative reaction you describe, but I was not very interested in just steaming vegetables or raw fresh fruit. Slowly got better and better. Now, just last night, I was eating some baked fish, baked potato, and steamed string beans. I was going crazy over how sweet the string beans tasted, like really crazy, I was blown away at the transformation from the guy who used to eat a whole pizza to now I’m eating string beans like they’re candy. Plus pretty much every variety of fruit they carry in my grocery store daily, which is pretty diverse.

Except bananas. No allergy, but they bind me up big time so I tend to avoid them. Probably missing out on big time nutrients, but I like my regularity (TMI, you’re welcome) too much.

I am a veggie eater, but I was never wild about string beans until recently either! Now I eat them all the time too! Haha don’t worry about the TMI. I feel like ever since I started running all bets are off with that. 🙂

23. themilereport says:

Interesting! I mean, I don’t love vegetables, but I think that’s fairly common…
    Fruit is one of my favorite food groups! Right behind bread.

I am glad that you like apples now! Granny Smith is probably one of my least favorites…it’s much more tart than other apples.

I have a food aversion to white creamy foods, and so does my dad–mayo, cream cheese, alfredo, sour cream, bleghh

Nothing could ever be better than bread. 🙂
      And I am right there with you on the creamy stuff! Mayo is pretty much my least favorite thing on the planet. I can’t stomach it on anything. Which is sad because tuna/chicken salad is always out for me.

This is such great news! I have been loving fresh fruit lately. There are so many foods that I used to hate but have gradually learned to love. I was a very defiant child when it came to trying new food:) I wouldn’t go near yogurt for years, then in my 20s I started eating flavored yogurt but not greek. Now I can manage to eat plain greek yogurt and I am completely shocked with myself.

I’m definitely not big on melon either and I can’t see myself ever really liking it, but I have to admit that I do wish I liked watermelon. It just seems like such a nice summer treat.

25. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

So glad someone else in the world isn’t a big fan of fruit either. I will do apples, strawberries, and grapes but that’s about it. I do love a good smoothie but hate the fruit chunks so they have to be really smooth. Bananas are out for me but because they make me want to be sick. What about blueberries? Those seem harmless enough!

Hooray for smooth smoothies. I’m so glad I’m not alone! Blueberries are a work in progress for me. I love them smoothied, but don’t do anything for me in their natural form. Although recently we were at this cafe that had the most insanely good blueberry muffin in the world. I actually ate a few bites of that.

26. Jana @Running Vegetarian says:

I used to hate apples too! I would say that I’ve started eating them within the last few years. I think you are right about the correlation between cleaner eating and tolerating apples.

My sister is also allergic to bananas. How sad!

27. Sara says:

Fruit – I love it all, but in the summer watermelon is my fave! (try it with salt – really brings out the sweet). This time a year is also great for peaches & nectarines. Apples – I really love Pink Ladys & Honeycrisps, but they are expensive and I usually get Galas. Apples are great b/c they are just as portable as bananas, but sturdy enough to not get mashed in a purse. They are also a great snack with cheese or peanut butter.

I’ve never heard of watermelon with salt before. I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes. I wish I liked peanut butter, but apple and cheese sounds really good! And I definitely love the portability factor. I think I might have to go buy one on my break. 🙂

28. Jennifer says:

I love peaches and watermelon. You should totally go to a farmers market and they usually have a sampling of the apples you listed – yum! This means you can go apple picking this fall!

I didn’t even think about apple picking! I’ve never done that before! Wow I’m going to get to do so much cool new stuff now that I like apples. 🙂 (And I get to try so many yummy new desserts too!)

29. irishrunnerchick says:

I can totally relate! I had a whole list of food (mostly vegetables) that I thought I didn’t like but now eat regularly. I think your taste buds change as we get older. I still can’t eat bananas though – nope, nope, nope. And I don’t like eating ‘messy’ fruit – oranges, peaches, anything that gets my hand sticky. But I love berries and pineapple. And Granny Smiths – oh the sourness!

Someone else mentioned that they die out and change, which is kind of a depressing thought but it still makes sense. 🙂 Berries were the first fruit related things that I started to have interest in! I do hate sticky hands though so I’m not sure how much I’d love to eat a peach or orange.

30. irenejean says:

I’m a big fan of berries, especially now! I also love oranges, but they are best in the colder months. I can’t stand bad oranges, so the best tip I found was to buy oranges that feel heavy for their size, it means they’re really juicy. Ooh, mangoes! I love them, and pineapple too.

31. Jolene says:

I was the same with vegetables, especially iceburg lettuce, my entire life until I met my boyfriend at 36! I would practically vomit if a piece of lettuce came on my hamburger and I had to remove it. I could still taste it, and that taste was gross. He slowly started introducing me to vegetables. Baby steps. Today I ate a GIANT spinach salad. Victory! I ate so many carrots last summer, my skin started turning an interesting shade of orange. The aversion CAN be beaten.

I’m not wild about iceberg or romaine lettuces myself. There’s just kind of nothing to them. Plus then sometimes I’ll get that bit thick part in there and it kind of ruins the salad for me. Spinach and mixed green salads are my fave!

Pears! I didn’t even think of them! Thank you. 🙂 I just think celery is annoying. It doesn’t really taste like anything and then it’s all stringy. I don’t really have any love for it.

Yay another watermelon hater. 🙂 Betty LOVE it and I just kind of get all gaggy when I give it to her (because most of the time I have to hold it for her to eat or it will be EVERYWHERE). And hooray for us both joining the apple club!

32. emjustliam6 says:

This doesn’t really shock me because my boyfriend is the exact same way! I’ll ask him which fruits he wants when we grocery shop and his response is always NONE. well I buy them anyway and prepare them with various things. If I am in a sweet mood I will pair a Granny with Nutella or Tajin. I love to pair apples with peanut butter too! My boyfriend decided to try it after my many attempts, and he loved it! I really believe that certain taste changes with age!

33. leiastar7 says:

I’m a huge fan of fruit except for blueberries. Yuck. Vegetables on the other hand, I only like if they are raw. Love them raw but Cooked vegetables are so gross. My hubby thought it was a texture thing too so be tried very lightly steaming some broccoli so that it was still crunchy but I almost threw up on him. The taste just changes so much to me. I’m allergic to peanuts and I also can’t stand the smell or taste of anything nutty. I think my brain somehow associates it with my allergy even though I’m not allergic to any other nuts. My daughter is allergic to peas and we always get weird looks with that one since it’s not a very prevalent allergy.

I definitely second trying cuties. They are delicious little sweet things that taste like oranges but without the mess. Just peel and eat

34. Anita says:

Honey crisp mmmm but they are so expensive. I grab them as a treat every now and then but Gala’s are my go-to apples. Graeme will eat 3 or 4 a day so I grab two bags at Costco every other week. We live really close to several orchards and try to go apple picking every fall. SO GOOD.

The week we spent in Cuba I ate so much fruit, it was the freshest, tastiest I’ve ever had because it didn’t spend a week on a truck getting to the Great White North.

Do you have an allergy or sensitivity to latex? I read somewhere banana and latex allergies go hand in hand.

OH MY GOD THIS POST! I am the exact same way! If I’m eating strawberry yogurt and get a chunk of strawberry I gag and I’m done eating it. Like you I can only eat fruit in smoothie form. The only fruit I like is apples and bananas, I can’t make myself eat anything else! Galas are my apple of choice BTW, so juicy and yummy!

Loved this post! Glad you have discovered a new love for apples 🙂 I wouldn’t say I have an aversion to fruit, but it’s not something I really enjoy eating. I only eat it because it’s healthy. As for fruity desserts – no way. My personal pet peeve is ordering chocolate cake at a restaurant and discovering it is covered in fruit when it arrives at the table. No thanks!