Race Recap: Back on the trail again. {BRRC GPS 5K}

To be honest, the last place I’ve felt like running lately has been on the trail. It’s really nice out there, but after experiencing 26.2 miles of it all at once, I’ve been much happier out on the road for now. Yesterday my run club hosted the 4th event in their Grand Prix series; a 5K and it was – you guessed it – on the trail. As much as I’ve been avoiding it lately, there was no way I would be skipping out on this one. I really want to finish well in the GPS standings at the end of the year and I already missed one of the races due to my stupid tendon.

This was not the same trail as Potts, but rather the one where I trained in order to get my body used to running on a crushed stone/dirt surface. I was more familiar with this course than I have been with any other race that I’ve run to date; an out and back and I knew exactly where the turnaround would be without even having to see it. Race time was 8am and for once I knew where I was going so I didn’t have to leave my house until around 7:15.

It was nice to sleep in a little bit, especially considering that I had attended my company picnic the day before and a teensy amount of wine may have been consumed.

Chuckle

I got there with plenty of time to pay my $2 and get in a half mile warm up jog and some stretching. I’ve gotten a lot better about warm ups lately and I do think it has made an impact on my race performance. I was a little concerned about some knee pain I’ve been experiencing on and off and which flared up pretty badly during my 8 miler on Saturday – like as in…badly enough that I almost called Mr. Salt to come get me, but I managed to work the kink out. I had it taped up with bright pink KT Tape, which is a GREAT conversation starter. Because the race was held on Father’s Day, all the fathers had their bibs marked with an F and there would be a special prize at the end for the fastest one. The weather was PERFECT. Mid-60’s and sunny with low humidity.

At promptly 8am we were all lined up at the trail head and given the go via air horn. The trail is pretty narrow right there, but this was a very small race (114 finishers in all) and there wasn’t much jostling for position as we took off. Many of the guys in the club are wicked fast and it was like I blinked and they were gone. For a little while I was running in front for the women, but then I got passed by one speedy girl just as we were nearing the turnaround point who I would never even get close to catching.

During mile 2, disaster almost struck in the form of a bug meeting my eyeball AGAIN. This is something I had been worried about with running on the trail and yet I had been to Target the previous day – and the day before that – and failed to get sunglasses. Luckily this bug was bigger than a gnat so I saw it coming and was able to close my eye just before it collided with my face and bounced harmlessly off my eyelid. LESSON LEARNED. The next day I’m scheduled to run outside is Wednesday and I will have at least a cheap pair before then. (For long term use, I’m currently obsessed with these.)

Anyway, I started losing some steam during mile 3, but my knee wasn’t hurting so at least I had that going for me. I could tell there was a girl following closely to my right and we ran together for most of that mile. At one point she got ahead of me, but then from somewhere I was able to dig out a little extra speed that I guess I had been saving for later. I have no idea where it came from because I was seriously sucking wind at that point.

I passed her and finished in 2nd place wondering how the hell I had just managed to do that. I was hoping for a good age group placement that day for the GPS standings, but I wasn’t expecting to do THAT well or to GET A NEW 5K PR!!!

21:33

For the first time ever my average was under 7 minutes! (6:57/mile)

dcef6da24834c1453134ea02b5dc7f38

After I was finished with my dry heaving, I visited the table they had set up for refreshments: cold water, some sports drinks, bagels, bananas, and even yummy Italian ice which was a very nice touch. Everything was so well organized and the volunteers were amazing; both things I have come to expect from run club events. It’s really a great group to be a part of!

The rest of the day was spent celebrating Father’s Day with Betty, Mr. Salt, and our families (lunch with his dad and then dinner with mine). It was the perfect end to a wonderful weekend.

Did you race this weekend? Have you ever attended a run club event? How did you celebrate Father’s Day?

Happy belated to all you wonderful dads out there!

79 thoughts on “Race Recap: Back on the trail again. {BRRC GPS 5K}

1. emmelineruns says:

Wooo! Congrats on a PR! So awesome 🙂 I bought some cheap sunglasses in Austria for that same purpose and I love them, stick to my face like glue despite my sweatiness.

Thank you, friend! Your Austria sunglasses sound like exactly what I need. I’ve been an especially sweaty mess lately with all this great new humidity we’ve been having. 🙂

Congrats! Sounds like a great race. I do a lot of hte Montgomery County Road Runners races and I really like them since they’re smaller and well organized. I did my first 10k this weekend and I think it was the largest race I’ve done so far. I also just got some sunglasses for running with birthday money (your story of the bug in the eye was part of the reason!) and they definitely worked well this weekend.

I’ve heard of the MCRR! These run clubs really know how to do it. 🙂 Congrats on your first 10K! That’s so exciting and I’m glad I could help on the new glasses front. 🙂 Now I need to get some for myself!

Thanks, lady! Ugh don’t I know it! Too many bug related incidents in the past couple weeks. This particular trail isn’t so bad especially when it hasn’t rained recently. That’s when it’s the worst. People ride their bikes on it and I fall in the tire tracks all the time haha.

Noice jarb!!!! That’s so aweseome! You’re right at where my next 5k goal pace is. Hopefully in the next month!
    AS for your burst of speed at the end – I had the same feeling my 10k a few weeks ago. Then I went and talked to some runners about it and they said that you use slight different muscles when you’re kicking than you do when in race pace mode. So those muscles have not been used until you pick it up. Makes sense!

Thank you thank you! And that is so awesome! I never thought about that before, but it makes total sense. This is the first race where I actually really felt it happen to that degree. It was insane like I totally hulked out for the last quarter mile.

4. The Running Chef says:

You PRd in a trail race??? That is AWESOME! Nice job! I was dead to the world for months after my marathon, and here you are knocking out PRs! Great job, cant wait to see what the future holds for you 🙂

Haha I wish I could say that the trail was super difficult and technical, but it wasn’t. You have to watch your footing sometimes, but really it’s pretty flat and not-scary. 🙂 Thank you so much though! I was pretty surprised that I was able to pull out a PR with the marathon still not so long ago!

Stop being so awesome at life. Actually, that is a lie, don’t stop being awesome. Great job! And I second Tina, how on earth did you pull that out just after running a marathon?! ARE YOU A BIONIC PERSON???

YOU are awesome at lyfe. Thank you, #suzlove. I’m pretty much the opposite of bionic and I have no idea what happened out there, but I’ll take it. 🙂

6. Running Bear says:

Nicely done, PR on the trails. I’ve never run one, but the more I read about people doing trail races, I might need to try it out.

I’m getting ready for my first 10K next Tuesday. A little confused about strategy. For the marathon, I had a very specific strategy for pacing and had a good idea of what speed to go for. For a recent 5K, I had a very specific strategy of standing on the gas pedal and seeing what happened. For the 10K I need a strategy somewhere in between, with no experience racing that distance, should be fun.

Thanks! Really it’s not a difficult technical trail or anything but I’m still pleased with the time. 🙂 I love the 10k distance and I think you will too. It’s a good test of speed while still giving you a little bit of time to warm up. Good luck with it!!

Two ‘shout outs’:
    – Awesome job on the race and your PR! So great to see!
    – Also woohoo to your husband for being understanding of you running a race on Father’s Day! Rare breed 🙂

Congrats on your race and the new PR! That is incredible, especially so soon after your marathon 🙂 Glad to hear you were able to avoid the pesky bug-in-the-eye issue this time around!

9. Hailey says:

Yay! Congratulations! And you’re under 7-minute pace you speedy!!! Way to go on your placement too. You’re awesome:) I’m glad you were able to avoid another bug fiasco and I’m loving the look of those sunglasses. If you get them you’ll have to let me know how they are!

10. Change of Pace says:

Woohoo- congratulations on a new PR and second place!! That’s awesome!
    I’m glad your knee didn’t hurt during the race- keep a close eye on that thing!
    I have another bug story- the other day when I was biking on the highway a bee hit my cheek SO hard I almost had to stop!

Thanks! I was actually thinking about you the other day as I was going my tape and hoping that you are feeling okay. 🙂

You have the most insane but stories!! OW! Did you get stung??

11. Brianna @ I run He tris says:

Congrats on your PR!!! That is an amazing time especially being on a trail!! I’m in the market for some new sunglasses myself. A certain Mr. borrowed mine for his bike ride last weekend and they felt out of his riding jersey. I won’t name any names though 😉

Thank you so much! Oh no I’m sorry about your glasses! I got some good recs for them from some other wonderful bloggers the other day (including the pair I linked). I better get them before any more bugs have a chance to invade my face.

Thanks, friend!! I have NO freaking idea what is going on but ugh not yours too?! Not fair! Right now I’ve just been taping and occasionally icing. It’s obnoxious and I want it to stop. Are you doing anything for yours?

Please let me know if the strap works out for you. I’ve been adding in some extra cross training too (I did last Thursday rather than my usual run and yesterday too…hoping to at least get an easy 5 in today). Hopefully this formula will work out for the both of us!

Whoo hoo! amazing PR! Congrats lady! Maybe you are headed for another 5K PR this weekend 🙂 And girl, get you some sunglasses! No more bugs in the eyes!!

13. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Way to go chica! That’s awesome! (except for the dry heave, gross) I didn’t race last weekend but I have attended local running group events. It’s so fun to be surrounded by people with a common passion!

I didn’t really think of it that way! My body is still really getting adjusted to the warmer temps. Luckily it wasn’t so bad out there the other morning. Thank you so much, friend!

14. Anita says:

Congrat’s on the PR and second place overall!

We headed back to my hometown for a Memorial Race and I snagged myself a shiny new PR for the 5k too although not a speedy as yours. Graeme received his first medal for the 2k and wants to do it again this weekend. 🙂