Running with the cool kids.

WOW you guys!

Before I talk about the Cool Kids – and no I’m not talking about me because as we all know I’m a giant dork – I just want to thank everyone for the comments on the fall race post. Along with all the blogs I already know and love, quite a few new ones popped up that I’m really going to enjoy following and PLUS I found out that quite a few awesome people are going to be on pretty much the same training schedule as I am!

It filled my heart with joy that everyone seemed to think that I had a good idea and I loved all the enthusiasm that ensued and even some people realizing that they are running the same races which is exactly what I hoped would happen. (A couple of people are even running in Amsterdam!? WHAT!? Color me jealous.) I’ve made a blogroll/directory of links, organized by race/race date so that it will be easy for people to find other blogs by people who are on the same training schedule as they are. It can be found here (or like…if you just direct your eyes to the nav bar). There will possibly some future linkups too if I can figure out the logistics of all that.

If you missed the post yesterday and want to be added into the blogroll, let me know in the comments or shoot me an email at runsaltrun@gmail.com!

So. On to the Cool Kids.

cool-kids-campaign

Once upon a time I was browsing around the Internet looking at upcoming races. So like…basically every day of my life.

Really though I first came across the Cool Kids Campaign name last year when their running festival event popped up in an online search, but I wasn’t able to attend the race. Then more recently I heard the name again when a friend of mine mentioned it in a conversation. I decided to do a little more research into it and found that Cool Kids is really an outstanding organization. Their mission is to improve the lives of pediatric oncology patients and their loved ones and they have a variety of programs in place that make that happen every day.

One of their events is the running festival that I just mentioned, which is coming up at the end of this month and this time I don’t have anything else on the schedule to keep me from participating! I emailed over to Cool Kids Campaign and a great conversation ensued with their Community Relations Coordinator in which I received a whole bunch of helpful info on the upcoming festival to pass along to the Moms RUN This Town chapter I recently started in my area (Baltimore County North represent!) And then I was told that they have a running group that meets at a local college – which just so happens to be the one where I ran this 5K – at a time when I am actually free to meet for such things. This, like, NEVER happens.

I’ve never run with other people before outside of an actual race, but I’ve read so many wonderful stories on your blogs about running group fun and these stories were what led me to start up the MRTT chapter and get more involved with other groups in my area. I decided to put aside all my silly “omg what if they don’t like me!?” fears and brave rush hour traffic yesterday to go check it out.

I’m so glad I did.

I’m sitting here trying to mentally count everyone who was there, but I’m terrible at math so I’ll say “a handful” (“bigger than a breadbox?”) of people showed up for the run and even a couple of cute dogs! I was told that the largest group they have had so far was 15, which seems like a very sizable amount to me. Many of them were children, which was awesome and made me a little sad that I didn’t have Betty with me. Next time I’m going to have to take her in the jogger.

It was a choose your own pace and distance kind of scenario, but we were also playing Russian Roulette with some nasty weather so I figured that would most likely keep things short-ish. You can run on the road or there are even some trails that I had no idea existed and will probably take advantage of in the future. I got in 3 miles in addition to the 6 I had run yesterday morning and it was surprising how easy they felt. Maybe I should pull double workouts more often!

Afterward the awesome gal who organized the group provided icy cold water for us all to drink and we hung around for a bit chatting and grabbing a group photo before we all went our separate ways. All it all it was a very laid back, friendly, fun time and definitely something that I’ll be doing again in the future.

I think people even liked me okay. If you are currently on the fence about wanting to go meet a new running group…JUST GO DO IT. We all know that runners are the nicest people ever and I’m sure you will be welcomed as warmly as I was.

In addition to the Running Festival that they have coming up in a couple weeks, the Cool Kids Campaign is also very involved with the Baltimore Running Festival and last night I made the decision that I was going to register for the marathon as one of their fundraisers. One of my post Potts goals that I set for myself was to use my running for a greater good and I can’t think of a better way to give something back. I’m so excited to get started!

Have you ever raced as a fundraiser before? Tell me all about it!

I hope everyone has a beautiful Thursday!

44 thoughts on “Running with the cool kids.

1. Shawna says:

this sounds like a great charity — i love how many races revolve around raising money for such amazing causes. i ran a half marathon to fundraiser for World Vision, and it was just an amazing experience to see how many other people in that race were running for the same charity and wearing their shirts. it’s one thing to feel connected to someone else who has a passion for something you do, and the running community definitely exemplifies that — and then it’s such an extra added bonus to have that charity connection added onto it. great post.

That’s one thing that I’m so excited about. Being part of a team that is working together for such a great organization! Your World Vision experience sounds wonderful!

Awesome! Glad that you got over the ‘will they like me’ thing – it is funny how that keeps with us even as adults! Of COURSE they were going to like you … you’re #mamaSalt!

There is a lot of activity up in the Ithaca area (related to Cornell Univ mostly) but I have never hooked in … but now that I have a great entry-point to the local trail only a 10 minute drive I will have to post invites to the local Facebook group!

Hahaha I am just so socially awkward around new people! I have no idea why! Thank you so much though. 🙂

You should definitely start up some great group trail runs! I wish I could join you!

I remember when you were so nervous about going and I’m so glad you did too! That was the extra push I needed to sign up with BRRC. I don’t know why I’m so awkward with new people, but it usually ends up working out fine. 🙂

3. Michele says:

I’ve ran 2 marathons for Team in Training and was a candidate for Woman of the Year in 2013. Fundraising is awesome, it puts a different perspective on your event and training. You’ll do great!!!

Wow what an amazing honor that must have been! Very cool and I’m not surprised you were a candidate at all. You rock!

I’m really excited to see where this takes me.

4. Susie @ SuzLyfe says:

I started long distance running through my association with CCFA Team Challenge! I actually have only done training runs with them 2 times (if that many) because I am a member of Team Georgia, but have yet to live there during the season lol. They were up here this past weekend! Loved seeing my buddies.

You were part of my inspiration to want to get involved in something beyond myself going into my second marathon. 🙂 You always give so much back to people!

5. Sara says:

So bummed I couldn’t make it! I cant make it next week either b/c of work travel. I”m thinking of joining BRRC since it’s so super inexpensive!

The only fundraising I’ve done is for the Pancreatic Cancer Purple Stride 5K run/walk that is held in October. My mother in law passed away from it in 2011 so we had a team in 2010 & 2011. I restarted the team this year and it will be the first year I run it.

I’m so sorry to hear about your mother in law. 😦 When is the date of the race this year? I’d love to join your team! You should definitely join BRRC. The yearly fee is so small and then it’s so much fun to go run those club races for $2. Everyone I’ve met is really nice too.

Boo on missing next week, but they are going to be having the group all the time (I’m pretty sure) so next time you’re free come with me! We can bring the girls!

6. Kristin says:

Wow, what a great organization!! Very cool!! Get it?! Haha, seriously, I’m a dork, too!! Haha! You’re an amazing person and I love that you’re sharing this! Running as a fundraiser is such a great, beautiful way to run and I will sure be doing this in the future. Sounds marvelous!

7. Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner says:

Awesome idea to do a blog roll of races. Even more amazing that your started MRTT chapter. I am so happy that I started our chapter and we need to meet up at a race with you and your chapter some time. Running is the best way to make new friends that you never would have met anywhere else. I love our running mamas!

YES that would be so much fun to coordinate something! Let me know if you have any ideas of things that are coming up. We are a pretty small chapter right now since we are still so new (I believe there are 28 of us?) but everyone seems to be really enthusiastic! I never expected to make so many cool friends when I started running, but what a great added bonus that has been!

8. Run Colby Run says:

You ARE a cool kid, Crazy Pants! What a fantastic organization! (Will Google shortly. Please hold.) I’m always jealous of running groups. I can never seem to carve out the time to find one. So I wind up a Lone Wolf. {Sigh.} Between you and Scott @ Piratebobcat, you’ve got me wanting to find one (and eat tacos)!

I have run for charity and it made my last New York Marathon so much more meaningful. I ran for Team Fox. It was FANTASTIC. I also ride (Tina too!) in the Pan Massachusetts Challenge- a two day 200 mile cycling fundraiser for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. It’s my 10th year. So proud of that one. Actually, proud of both. I would STRONGLY recommend Running for a Reason other than that of your own. Best. Thing. Ever. 🙂

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!!! I totally know what it’s like to be the Lone Wolf. This one pretty much fell right into my lap. The only day I’m ever really free to do anything is Wednesday (unless it’s the last Wednesday of the month…my husband’s job is weird) and when she said it was a Wednesday afternoon thing, I jumped all over it!

You guys are amazing with all that work you do! I am hoping (and I’m pretty sure it will turn out this way) that fundraising will make it an even more meaningful experience for me too. Thanks, friend. YOU ROCK. ❤

9. nora @AdventuresMotherDaughterRunningDuo says:

I totally know what you mean about being nervous to join a running group! I joined a club about a year ago, and felt really shy and awkward at first, but now I really enjoy club runs/brunches! Runners are ALWAYS nice people, so you can’t really go wrong. 🙂 and the Cool Kids Campaign sounds like a really fun and awesome event – can’t wait to hear more about it!

That’s exactly how I felt! I’m so glad I’m not alone. After I left there I felt kind of ridiculous for worrying about it so much. I make random friends at races all the time so I don’t know why I thought a running group would be any different!

So awesome! I’ve run for a fundraiser, but I have friends who do. I know it takes a lot of work and consistency. I’ve thought about doing it to get into Boston.
    So glad you got to group run! I do hear from people that they are sometimes afraid to go join one. I don’t get that. Nobody is going to be judging or mean or anything – we’re runners after all!

I remember you made that post before about possibly trying to get into Boston as a fundraiser and I think you should go for it! You would be great at that!

I thought about you while I was at group run. Everyone was so nice and I was like so this is why Scott likes these group runs. Except mine didn’t have tacos. Maybe I should provide them next time.

11. Jennifer says:

I LOVE the blogroll! I forgot to include my info yesterday…OOPS.. NYC Nov 2 🙂 Can’t wait to check out all the other blogs / share out stories!

12. themilereport says:

Thank you thank you thank you for creating the 2014 fall training list! AWESOME!

It’s super scary to run with a group for the first time–when I first joined mine, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to keep up, if they’d like me, if I should bring my water belt or not, if I would have to pee, if this, if that, etc. But everything was fine, and I loved it.

I’ve never run a race as a fundraiser

You’re welcome! I just hope that it’s something that people will be able to use. It seemed like a good idea when it was still inside my head. 🙂

I had all of those exact same fears last night and the only one that came true was the pee thing because I really did kind of have to pee. But I held it and it was all good. 🙂

13. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Awww the Cool Kids sound amazing!!! I would love to race as a fundraiser. I’ve only done a bunch of walks- a bunch for breast cancer, a couple for sending supplies (water, food, medicines, etc.) to kids in Malawi, and a couple for a local charity that provides a camp for kids with life illnesses (cancers n’ such) and their families. I signed up for your race link up- although I’m fairly certain I’m legally stupid and messed up like 5 times and I’m not even sure it worked haha. I’m doing the Berkeley Half in Nov. 9th!

That sounds like a lot of fun! And yay for another marathon! Running for a charity sounds like such an awesome thing to do and if I ever run a marathon I think I’ll try to do that! Also, I’m such a wimp at running with new people so I have to give you props for going out there and doing it!

How fun to try running with a group – Glad to hear you had a good experience! I agree, runners are the friendliest, most welcoming people. I remember the first time I ran with a group – I was so nervous I would be the slowest person in the group and everyone would run away from me. I think everyone probably has this fear 🙂

That is AWESOME!!! And congrats on the MRTT chapter! I hope you are enjoying it as much as I do! I have only run once as a fundraiser and it was for Susan G Komen!