It’s kind of hard to believe that Bob Potts was only 12 days ago…it feels like months already! I read someplace recently that I was not supposed to get discouraged if in the first couple weeks post race my short runs feel half-marathon difficult and boy have I been reminding myself of that! I DEFINITELY tire out more easily, even keeping things at an easier pace – fighting a bug for the past couple weeks hasn’t helped that either – but I figure it’s all part of the process. In respect of all this, I kept things pretty light this week
- Sunday: I ran a mile because I felt like it. Then I hopped on the bike for 15 more. Then I walked around the DC zoo all day in the heat with my off-the-growth-charts-2-year-old strapped to my back in the Ergo. Talk about strength training.
- Monday: Elliptical for 50 minutes and abs.
- Tuesday: Speed work. I don’t know what I was smoking that day, but 3×1600’s seemed like a good idea. I got my mile warm up in, made it through 2 of them at 6:52 and 6:48 pace, and then had to break up the last one by doing an 800 and a 400. My legs felt okay, but everything else hurt from being up all night coughing. In the evening I worked on the guns. (You know…my arms. Not actual guns.)
- Wednesday: 6 miles and while my pace was decent, holy crap this run was horrible. SO humid. I got really dehydrated and at one point I actually looked at a puddle on the side of the road and thought…what if? Not one of my finer moments for sure. Later I drank about 2 gallons of water and then I went and got a tattoo which is a great way to burn calories.
- Thursday: My knee was bothering me yesterday so I opted out of running and biked for 10.85 miles. Abs last night and worked my arms again with many reps of lifting a wine glass to my mouth. Luckily the knee thing seems to be an isolated incident and it feels fine today.
- Friday (Today): Active rest day and by “active” I mean “shopping”.
- Saturday: I’m planning on an easy 8 tomorrow as I start adding some more miles back into my long runs. Then I’ll be chasing Betty around a birthday party which I’m sure will account for some extra mileage.
It’s almost SUMMERTIME!
And my lovely DC Trifecta ladyfriends – Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney – are celebrating it with today’s Friday Five: FIVE THINGS I’m going to do this SUMMER! (In case it isn’t obvious, I’m a little excited that summer is finally here!)
We’ve already been doing a little bit of this over at my mother’s community pool and also hanging in the crab pool on our deck.
This little fish would stay in the water for hours if I would let her!
2. Early morning runs!
During the week I’ve always been a lunch break runner, but the summer heat and humidity is very likely to have me going out in the early morning hours for the next couple months. No one wants to have to go back to the office and sit at their desk being that kind of funky, sweaty mess. I’m pretty sure my coworkers also appreciate my decision.
Plus it’s nice to get your fitness out of the way early on so that you can feel the benefits of it all day long.
3. Baseball games!
We are a baseball family! Even though our team tends to struggle, we are not fair-weather fans and try to get to as many games as we can. It’s always fun whether we win or not (and usually when we go, that’s a big NOT). Betty LOVES the Orioles and even has her own foam finger that she likes to wave around shouting “WE’RE NUMBER 1!!! GO O’S!!!!”
4. House hunting!
Currently we live in an apartment and I’m sure many of you can probably relate to the feeling of being SO OVER THAT. I swear we have a pack of elephants living just above our heads (actually it’s three teenaged boys…is that worse?) Betty needs a yard to play in with a swing set and a fence so I am not constantly worried about her running into the road and I need walls that I can paint whatever colors I want without having to worry about changing them back to white later on. I know Amy is going through this process right now too and it’s a little overwhelming and just so exciting. I can’t wait to be a homeowner.
5. Let’s just be real here…
Yum. Margaritas with Salt.
What are your summer plans?
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!! Just a reminder that my Bondi Band giveaway is still happening so if you haven’t entered that yet you can by going HERE!