Can you believe it’s freaking June already??

I don’t really do the whole “New Year Resolution” thing, but at the beginning of 2014 I did set up a few goals for my running that I hoped to accomplish this year. Over the weekend I was thinking about these goals and then I realized…holy crap it’s June. The year is just about half over?? Seriously how did this happen?

I think the weather staying so cold for so long made me completely lose track of time.

Anyway, I thought I would be fun to revisit those goals and see how I’ve been doing with them so far. Here is my 2013 Running Year in Review post where I laid them all out, but in case you don’t feel like wasting your time with clicky links:

Salt’s 2014 Running Goals!!

• I’m doing 14 in 2014 with our wonderful host Jill over at Fitness, Health, and Happiness!
  • I’m shooting for 1,500 miles in 2014 and with two marathons on the menu, I think that goal is very attainable.
  • A sub-4 hour marathon. Well really, I just want to finish in one piece, but finishing in under 4 hours would rock.
  • A 21-minute 5K race PR. I have run a 21-minute 5K once in training so I know I can do it. I just want to do it when it really counts!

Okay, so:

14 in 2014

That would be 14 races in 2014 and considering that I’ve already run in 8 (not counting a virtual) and have at least two on the schedule for this month, I think I pretty well have this one in the bag. So far this year I’ve participated in 4 5Ks, a 10K, an 8 miler, a 15K, and a full marathon.

1,500 Miles

This one? Not so much in the bag yet. Due to that nasty tendonitis hangup, my mileage is a little lower right now than I had originally planned (to date I’ve only logged 528.28 miles), but with marathon #2 coming up in the fall, plus Dopey training for January, it might all even out in the end though if it doesn’t I’m not going to beat myself up over it. I’m just happy to be back up in my usual 100+ mile/month range.

I briefly considered doing Run this Year, which would have been 2014 miles, but yeah. There’s just no way that’s happening. That’s a LOT of miles unless you are Michael. 🙂

Sub-4 Marathon

DONE AND DONE AND I COULDN’T BE MORE PROUD. After cramming 18 weeks of marathon training into a month and a half period, the last thing I expected was to knock this one off the list on my first time out. I ran Bob Potts in 3:49:25 and while I know that there will be other marathons in my future with other times that will be not as good and some hopefully better, my Potts time will always be the dearest one to my heart.

Tattoo worthy, even. 🙂

21-Minute 5K Race PR

4th time is the charm! I finally broke into the 21-minute range at the Women’s Distance Fest 5K last month (aka my 4th 5K of 2014); 3rd place overall with a time of 21:48.

tumblr_mkm1bdLgBC1qjemo2o1_250

I’m feeling REALLY good about all this. Here’s to a second second half of 2014!

INJURY FREE, PLEASE!

Did you set any running/fitness goals at the start of the year? How are you doing with them?

I hope everyone had an amazing weekend! We sure did! Betty went wild at the DC Zoo yesterday and I just have to say that that place makes the Baltimore Zoo look foolish by comparison. Also you know what’s really good exercise? Walking around the DC Zoo all day with a 35lb kid strapped to your back. I feel like I ran another marathon!

87 thoughts on “Can you believe it’s freaking June already??

You are AWESOME and crushing your goals!! My goals are to marathon in the fall and make it through the remainder of this year injury free!! And I wish I had known you were going to the zoo. I live less than a mile away 🙂

OH NO!!!! I wish I had known that too! Well I plan on taking Betty back down there really soon because she had so much fun so next time you need to join us! 🙂

INJURY FREE is the way to be! I know you are going to crush that fall marathon. 🙂

2. prettylittlerunner says:

You are kicking your 2014 goals butts! Go you! I wanted to do 14 races in 2014 as well… so far I have done 7 with 3 on this months agenda, 3 next month, one in sept and then my marathon… so I think I’m in pretty good shape as long as I can stay injury free… knock on wood.

I wanted to run a least one race a month starting in March and so far yes… I guess I better find a race in august ..lol

Run 4 halves this year… so far I have run three…. I know I’m doing one in July so check…

and the 1:30 half goal… it just keeps staring me in the face taunting me…. grrrrrr… I’m getting there… just not as fast as I would have liked…

Yep you are DEFINITELY in good shape! Which fall marathon are you doing? I hope we are on the same training schedule again!!

Nice job on all those halves! I actually don’t even have one on the schedule for this year. I have a 12 miler in August though.

You are definitely going to hit that 1:30 goal and I’m willing to bet that it will be your next time out. I can’t wait to see you achieve that one!

• prettylittlerunner says:

Um I got choked up reading your last comment… I may literally collapse at the finish line and cry bc I have been fighting for it for sooo long… I’m running the Mohawk Hudson Marathon on October 12… which one are you doing?

Crying is DEFINITELY allowed. 🙂 You are such an amazing runner and so inspiring! I hope to one day be fighting for that too, but right now I just need to break 1:40. 🙂

Baltimore Marathon on October 18! YES! We will just be one week off of each other!

3. emmelineruns says:

You are killing those goals! 5k PR going down this year for sure. P.S. I love the DC zoo! I spent my summers in zoo camp there when I was about 6-7 🙂 glad Betty had a blast!

Thanks, friend! I hadn’t been to that zoo in forever and it has changed SO much! I have a feeling she’s going to be asking to go back there a lot and I will just have to take her because I had so much fun too. DC isn’t that far away for us. 🙂

4. irenejean says:

This year is definitely flying by! You’re making great progress on your 2014 running goals! My biggest goal is running Twin Cities Marathon this Fall. I should probably make some more running goals for this year! I haven’t done a sub 30 minute 5K yet, maybe I can find a good race for that. I am also very close to breaking a 2 hour half marathon…

Yeah marathon!! That’s so awesome and I’m looking forward to watching you train for it! I hope you destroy all your time goals from here on out! (Now that you are able to run pain free again, I’m betting you will!)

Will you chill or being all accomplished and nonsense? I mean, really. It’s obnoxious. But seriously, you are kicking ass and taking names And have so much to be proud of. Betty has such an amazing role model in you-you really go after everything, heart first. You have so much to give and do everyday! I set some running goals at the beginning of this year, but even if I only accomplish one of them (the second marathon) I’ll be ok with it after the intensity of what I’ve had to deal with. Likewise, I set so many life goals as well, and I just hope to accomplish a few of those.
    As we all say, always a work in progress.
    At least I’m cute and colorful.

Hahahahaha thank you, friend. My biggest goal in my whole life is to be a good role model for that girl. 🙂

Talk about going at things heart first…you have done so much for people and are always such an amazing motivator. I am inspired by YOU! ❤

6. Run Colby Run says:

I love your Mid-Year Progress Report! Lookit you all kicking ass and taking names! So proud of Miss Salt. 🙂 I will keep my paws crossed for an injury free 2nd half so the Work in Progress can continue. Love that sentiment. Carry on Lady!

I can’t believe how well you are rocking all of these goals! I was on track counting my miles and doing around 200+ each month. This stupid injury keeps coming and going…and making me very sad. I love your goals and how you have been rocking them!

Great job – and you are totally crushing your goals!

My advice? Ease up on the total mileage goal. The saying that ‘sometimes junk miles are just that … junk’ is true, and worse still, if you wind up hurt again it could be a real pain (aren’t I hilarious this morning?!?).

I am doing pretty well with my goals, but races haven’t really happened – and I refuse to let myself stress over them. I am doing great with running and eating … so the rest is like, whatever.

Yeah you are definitely right and I think that’s what ended up leading me to my injury earlier this year. (Run Streak…definitely a lot of junk mileage there!) At this point I loving my 4 solid runs per week. 🙂 Hahaha and yes you are hilarious all the time!

9. Julia says:

I bet it feels so good to have accomplished so much towards your 2014 goals already!

I couldn’t really think of any New Year’s resolutions at the time, other than running one half marathon, but about a month ago I decided I would aim for 1000 miles in 2014 and I’ve ran my one half marathon, plus two more and I’m signed up for a fourth in October. So, definitely feeling really good about my year so far! I would like to jump on the 14 in 2014 band wagon, but I don’t know if I can cram 9 more races in the second half of the year to do it.

10. northernambitions says:

No I cannot believe it’s already June, Time is flying by so quickly!! Good job girl, you are knocking those goals off. The sub 4hr marathon is so impressive and injury free is a goal we can both aspire towards.

Thank you, lady! I don’t think the endorphins have worn off from that one yet. Here’s to hoping we both stay nice and healthy for the rest of the year! (And beyond!)

Wow, so many goals crushed in the first half of the year! You go, lady! I only got started again with this whole running thing in March, and the only goal I had in mind was to run my first half. I’m signed up to run one on June 29, so barring any really crappy unforeseen circumstances, I should make it!

12. Change of Pace says:

You’re crushing your goals! Definitely don’t worry about the mileage one- so much better to make it to start lines than to run high mileage but hurt yourself.
    Do you have an idea for the tattoo?!
    Oh my- I can’t imagine walking around all day with a baby on your back!
    My goal that I’m failing miserably at is to get my healthy running body back! I’m working so hard at it but to no avail yet!

Yes I sure do. 🙂 let’s just say it’s small, marathon related, and should appear on my blog sometime around Thursday. 🙂

Lots of hugs and healing vibes from Baltimore. I can’t wait to hear that you are pain free! I’m so sorry that you’ve had to go through all of this. 😦

13. Kristin says:

I’m so happy Betty had a great time at the Zoo!!! YAAY!!! So cute!! Also, great goals and I’m so happy for your awesome running this year! You are really rocking it!! FAST!!! FAST!!! FAST!!!

Thanks, lady! Yeah I have no idea where the time is going but I’m pretty sure Betty is going to be off to college soon. My next marathon will be Baltimore on October 18. 🙂

You’re doing great with your goals! My goals for this year were to get faster – I spent so much time last year training for Dopey with long slow runs, that this has been fun going fast again! My next time goals are I want to run 1:45 in a half and I also want my 5k per mile pace to begin with a 6. I’m usually right around 7:01 per mile. Need to fix that!

Very nice goals, my friend! I guess I’ll be looking at those long sloooooooow runs at the end of the year. Wheeeeeeee. God I hope it’s not as cold as this past winter.

15. The Running Chef says:

Love love love! I think the most important one was being healthy, that is what I was most thankful for when i started my break yesterday! I am not on track for my goals so far, but I think I may have been a bit ambitious trying to hit 1:13 in the half. 1:14 was still a 40 second PR. I REALLY wanna DESTROY my 2:49 in Chicago this year though. Cant wait to follow you in your next one too!

I’m so glad you are feeling good and I’m so stoked to follow your training for Chicago! You wee SO close to that half goal and that is just such an unbelievable PR! You rock, lady!

16. alsoranagain says:

Great job on meeting those goals! I’m impressed. I’m doing pretty well with mine–especially after this past weekend when I met my ambitious, long-shot goal of qualifying for Boston.

17. Kathryn @ Dancing to Running says:

You’re doing awesome with your goals! I bet you’ll crush that mileage goal as your Dopey training gets more and more intense. Depending on which training plan you’re going to follow, some weeks you could be running and/or walking up to five days a week! You’ve got this girl!

I think I’m going to be following the Higdon plan (I’m just obsessed with him) and there are definitely some crazy 5 day weeks in there with some serious back to back long runs! I’m ready for it!! Thank you so much!

18. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

is it weird that i told my coworker the story of how betty said “mommy won! mommy won!” when we were racing annapolis saturday? because i totally did and it made me almost cry…again. anywho…you’re killin’ it lady! since you’ll be finish the fit foodie 5k about 5 minutes before i will, can i request a mimosa waiting for me? 🙂

You’re going to make ME cry again! She’s definitely the best little cheerleader I could ever hope for!

And I don’t know about me finishing all fast but for sure there needs to be mimosas at that finish line!

19. Running Bear says:

Nice work on the 5K PR. I just did my first one in a year and was eager to test out my new fitness level after marathon training. PR by 3.5 minutes which had me pretty stoked. Over time I’d like to shave another 30 seconds off and get into 21:xx range similar to your goal, possibly this year but I’m aiming more for a 1:40 half marathon in the fall rather than speeding up the 5K.

The 5K hurt so much more than the marathon, even with hitting the wall, I’m not sure how often I’d like to race one, but maybe I’ll run some for fun if I can ever get control over my competitive nature.

I just read your recap!! That is a killer time! My half goal is 1:40 as well, but I don’t have any lined up in the foreseeable future so who knows when I’ll get a crack at it. (I have a 12 miler in August though.)

I have a 5k in a couple weeks so I guess I’ll get a chance to see if anything has changed for me then! I actually like 5ks a lot. I just kind of hate how they are over as soon as they start!

20. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Man you’re crushing it so far girl!! Lol I feel stupid because when I read, “can you believe it’s freaking June already?” I was like, soooo what? And then I read that the year is half over and you blew my mind and I was like WTF?? I only set 1 goal for 2014 of a sub-2 half. I need to formally set a new goal of sub 1:55 😉

21. courtruns4cupcakes says:

You are definitely going to reach all of your goals by the end of the year! I only set two running goals for myself: 1. PR my half marathon time which I have already done! and 2. Finish my first marathon which *fingers crossed* will be happening in October!

Awesome job on the PR!!! And you’ll be fine at your marathon. Just train hard and then trust yourself. 🙂 I’m running one in October too so we’ll be online training buddies!!

22. Hailey says:

Way to go! You are rocking your 2014 goals! One of my goals was to cross-train more. After an injury I always tell myself I’m going to keep it up when I’m healthy and back to running, but I never do. This time around I’ve kept up with doing it 2-3 times a week. I just get so bored cross-training, but I really really like running so if that helps me to avoid injuries I guess it’s not soo bad 🙂

I just saw your workouts for this week and you are killing that cross train goal! I totally agree though. I’ve been easing back into running since last week and was on the elliptical today for 50 minutes and it was just so boring. (At least there was a decent movie on to keep me from going insane.)

23. Piper's Run says:

You are just amazing! Completely rocking your goals – way to go! We went to the Zoo this past weekend to…it was a lot of fun!

We sure don’t give ourselves enough credit…I always feel like when I squat down while holding Hilary (24 pounds) .. that when I stand up I should win an Olympic medal.

Hahaha one time I had to bend over and pick something up with Betty in the Ergo and I almost couldn’t stand back up. We DEFINITELY don’t give ourselves enough credit!

24. Jennifer says:

You are rocking your goals and there is another 6 months left in the year!! Looking forward to keeping up with all your running/life adventures!! Onward to another fabulous (and injury free) six months! Great minds think alike – I am doing a review of my running goals tomorrow 🙂

25. Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner says:

Wow you have some ambitious goals! 1500 miles is a lot. I am hoping to stay healthy the rest of the year. Injuries are not fun. It’s hard to be disciplined and not do too much but I know it’s the best for me. Good luck with all of your goals. Looking forward to watching your progress.

26. themilereport says:

You’re totally on track for those goals! I am pretty sure I set a goal to stretch more, but that did not happen. I think I started stretching less, if possible??

27. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Excellent goals my friend! I think you will be able to achieve all of them (as long as your body cooperates!) My goals for 2014 are to add more strength training to my regular workout schedule (check), do another half marathon (training starts soon), and do an obstacle course race (doing one in Philly in September!) I did have a few others but with our move and a new job I decided to let a few things go and take some pressure off. No use stressing over things I can control.

28. irishrunnerchick says:

You are rocking your 2014 goals! Nice job……….and I’m pretty sure you’ll nail them all by the end of the year. I made a couple of goals for the year – including getting a new half marathon PR (done!) and running a sub-7 minute mile (ditto!). But the big goal for the year is to complete my first full marathon in October. So no more PR aims on the schedule – just increasing distance and trying to get my body to cooperate!

Sounds like you are making amazing progress on your 2014 goals! Impressive to have already knocked off the marathon and 5k goals and I’m sure you will get your other two crossed off the list soon enough.

I had three main goals this year: A 5k PR, a 10k PR and a BQ marathon. All I have left is the BQ marathon goal!

You are doing so amazingly with your goals and I have no doubt that you have a BQ in your very near future. 🙂 I’m looking forward to following your training for fall!

30. Pandora Viltis says:

You’re killing it! Here’s to you accomplishing even more great things in the second half of the year.

And I’m trying not to be green with envy over your marathon time.

31. Michele @ A Pace of Balance says:

WOW! Way to rock your goals! I wanted a sub 3 Olympic tri, which I achieved in May. I don’t have any other lofty goals other than to get better at swimming in open water, which is why I signed up for the Chesapeake Bay 1 mile swim. Now I’m freaking out, lol!