LAY OFF ME I’M TAPERING! {And playlist suggestions, pretty please??}

lay-off-me-i-m-starving-o

Pretty much.

You all will be so proud of me. As promised, I am for real tapering.

My schedule for this week:

• Sunday: Hey, Salt. You’re doing it wrong.
  • Monday: I went to the gym and rode the bike for 45 minutes. I rode so slowly that if it were a real bike, I probably would have fallen over.
  • Tuesday: I will be jogging 3 miles on the treadmill because I can set my pace to something nice and easy and not be tempted to do anything stupid. See also: Sunday.
  • Wednesday: 4 slow miles in my neighborhood to test out a new fuel belt that I hope to wear for the race. (SPI Belts are amazing, but there is just not enough room in it for everything I will need to have with me.)
  • Thursday: 2 miles. 2 MILES. I can’t even remember the last time I only ran 2 miles, besides running with Betty in the new stroller and that felt more like 102 miles.
  • Friday & Saturday: R&R time. I don’t even know what I’m going to do with myself. Maybe I’ll learn to crochet or build a birdhouse or something. I might go get a nice dark polish pedicure to cover up the fact that I have a serious case of zombie toe right now. I laughed my way through my girl Colby’s whole post yesterday about her toenails because the big one on my right foot looks like an extra from the Walking Dead.
My toe could totally be a part of her foot.

My toe could totally be a part of her foot.

Taking it easy is hard. I feel like I need to be wearing a warning sign. Hell, I’m a graphic designer…maybe I should just make myself one. That would kill a few minutes that I would otherwise be spending on Weather.com.

I’ve also still been busy obsessing over outfits and music and I would love to have some help with the latter, or either of them really if you want to come by and stand in my closet with me for an hour looking at all my running clothes. I plan on starting off the race with my usual standup comedy and will probably go through 2 comedians which will last me roughly 2 hours. Then I would like to spend the rest of the time listening to some awesome music and I could really use some suggestions to freshen up my playlist.

Plus I think it would be fun while I’m out there to have a song come on that one of my awesome blogfriends suggested. It would make me smile. 🙂 Who knows how much I’m going to feel like smiling otherwise, especially after mile 20.

What is one song that gets you all pumped up/makes you want to run fast?

Or multiple songs. I have a couple hours of space to fill up. 🙂 Thank you so much in advance!

I hope everyone is having a terrific Tuesday!

55 thoughts on “LAY OFF ME I’M TAPERING! {And playlist suggestions, pretty please??}

1. Run Colby Run says:

Oh My Little Extra On the Walking Dead Taper Buddy! I’m so, so PROUD of you for taking it easy! (And seeing the potential error in your ways. Bad Salt.) You’re a Full Tilt Boogie kinda gal like me which is why we’re BBs (Blog Buddies) in the first place which is really why tapering requires serious control for us. Yesterday was a rest day and I literally wandered around my house, CLEANING of all things. Is that what people who don’t run their toe nails off actually DO? So much time on my hands. I’ll be working on my playlist too. One of my go to songs? Ali in the Jungle by The Hours. My heart rate just went up thinking about it. Give it a listen. And THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the shout out. 🙂

Keep Calm and Taper On Salt! I’m here if you need me. 🙂

You are BRILLIANT. Why didn’t I think of cleaning?? My husband is going to wish I was tapering all the time. I’m looking up that song as we speak (type?). You deserve all the shout outs in the world because you are the bestest Taper Buddy EVER! I hope we are ALWAYS tapering at the same time! 🙂 Thanks for being constantly awesome. 🙂

2. samantha couch says:

i love that you listen to comedians! any suggestions? i would love to try that. songs for me…i don’t even like Rihanna, but her song “we found love” or whatever, is such a great running song for me because there are certain parts of it that totally pump me up and i just take off. i also love the pitch perfect soundtrack, wake me up by avicii, maneater/nelly furtado, anything by the ting tings, best day of my life/american authors, devil went down to georgia/zac brown band edition, paint it black/rolling stones….those are some of my favs from my playlist.

My go-to start off guy is Jim Gaffigan. I could listen to him over and over again so I will probably start off with one of his and then move on to Louis CK. I also love Aziz Ansari and Wyatt Cenac. Do not recommend Mitch Hedberg for running. He’s hilarious, but his style was off putting during my run.

I LOVE Pitch Perfect! I’m going to have to check out that whole album! Great suggestions and thank you so much!

3. Sara says:

Yay! Take it easy this week so you can kill it on Sunday! Sweet SNL reference – the Farley / Spade / Sandler years were the best, I don’t care what anyone says!

My playlist faves and recent additions:

Warrior – Matisyahu (not really a heart rate booster, but a great song to end a run with)
    Thunderstruck – ACDC
    Kickstart My Heart – Motley Crue
    Hero of the Day – Metallica
    Work Bitch – Britney Spears
    & Lady Gaga – nearly anything will do

Spend your new found free time with that sweet little B.

They were TOTALLY the best! My favorite era of SNL for sure. 🙂
      Love love love these suggestions! I have Kickstart My Heart on my iPod with no way to get it off there, but I love it enough for running that I’ll just download it again. 🙂 Thank you so much!

I’m actually really looking forward to not having a Saturday long run this weekend because of that Little B. She’s probably going to be really confused as to why I’m in the house when she wakes up haha.

• Sara says:

Oh and I meant to suggest Jim Gaffigan’s Beyond the Pale – that was my first experience with him and the Hot Pockets bit still gets me every time.

4. Corinne says:

My workout playlist is actually filled with songs that I used for my half marathon. So here’s my little list for you:

Monkey Wrench – Foo Fighters
    Pretty Handsome Awkward – The Used
    Any of the fast songs from Jimmy Eat World (Bleed American and A Praise Chorus are among my top faves)
    I Love It – Icona Pop
    Come With Me Now – Kongos
    Just about everything from Neon Trees

Good luck with the rest of the taper! Are you going to be having automatic updates posted on your Facebook page so we can keep track of you?

You and I have VERY similar music tastes! This is great! (Come With Me Now is one of my current power songs too!) Thank you so much for the suggestions and for the luck. Potts is a small race so there won’t be any auto updates. I’ll just be checking in when I’m done. 🙂

• Corinne says:

Come With Me Now is a GREAT song. I just wish it wasn’t being used and abused in a Dodge Ram commercial now 😦 You better have your cell phone in hand to post “I finished!!!!!!!” on Sunday!

5. Shawna says:

good luck with the race, and with choosing an outfit and music! i’m such a music freak and like a lot of variety and fun, upbeat songs when i run. i have to have some Katy Perry on there (guilty pleasure), some punky pop (Anberlin, Something Corporate, Fall Out Boy) some GaGa (Applause’s chorus gets me going!), a little of everything. 🙂

These suggestions are great! Applause is on my list now and has actually gotten me through some tough spots in runs before! I also have a Katy Perry guilty pleasure for a couple of her songs. 🙂 Thank you so much!

6. Running Bear says:

Good luck surviving taper and your race!

I get pumped up from this one two punch. Pretty unrelated songs but after I listen to that pair, I’m ready to take on the world:
    1) U2 – Where the Streets Have no Name
    2) Macklemore/Ryan Lewis – Can’t Hold Us

7. themilereport says:

Good for you for tapering so well!! It’s so nice to go through this with someone else! I’m running little digits this week too and also on edge. My saving grace to resting is watching Netflix.. I’m 3 episodes away from the finale of DH! So I’ll need to find a new source of distraction in 3 hours.

I don’t listen to music while I run, but sometimes I sing songs in my head, and my running go-to is “Girl on Fire”

Go Salt go!!! 😀

It really is! I don’t think I’ve ever been so thankful for running-blog-land in my life! Netflix is a great idea. Maybe I should start watching Breaking Bad or something. (I’m the only person on the planet that has never seen that show I think.)

We can get through this! Good luck with all your workouts this week! I’m so glad you’re my taper buddy!

8. journeysinmotherhood says:

So proud of you for actually taking it easy (in theory at least, I guess it’s only Tuesday).

I have to second “Kick Start My Heart.” My husband once rocked out to that song so hard that he drove into a guard rail (he was fine, but embarassed). Also, pretty much anything by Xtina makes me happy. Or old school Brittney. And JT.

9. Change of Pace says:

Enjoy the taper!! You won’t know what to do with your time, other than obsess over the weather 🙂
    Classics: The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson) AND Can’t Stop (Chili Peppers)
    Fun for running: Run This Town (Jay-Z, Rihanna, Kanye) AND Waka Waka (Shakira)
    I listened to the Shakira non-stop before our 2012 Ironman Canada. It was written for World Cup soccer one year, but the lyrics are great for athletics!

10. emmelineruns says:

Songs that always work for me: Detroit City by Eminem (no explanation, somehow it just always pumps me up though), Breaking Dishes by Rihanna (“I ain’t gunna stop til I see police lights” always makes me push harder), and “Wings” by Little Mix (just upbeat and fun).

11. Diann says:

Good for you on sticking to the taper!! I feel like I’ve been on one for a few years now with all the pesky injuries, dealing with a chronic one now, ugh–kind of look like that zombie chick from not enough consistent endorphins. : )

Love seeing everyone’s song suggestions; seriously needing some new running music. Song-wise, a lot are either old and/or explicit, but here’s a few:
    Jigsaw Falling Into Place/Radiohead
    Hear I Come/The Roots
    Give Me Everything/feat. Ne-Yo, Pitbull
    Sex on Fire/Kings of Leon
    Make You Feel Better/Chili Peppers
    B.O.B./Outkast
    Firestarter and Smack My B*&^h Up/The Prodigy
    As We Enter/Nas & Damian “Junior Gong” Marley

Thank you! Oh no what is the chronic one you are dealing with now? I’m sorry, friend. 😦

These are all fantastic suggestions for music. Sometimes you have to go with the classics. 🙂

• Diann says:

Thank you. Long story, but short version is ankle (right now anyway), but I went out yesterday for 3 1/2 miles and it hurts but as long as I can do minimum right now and slow, I feel grateful. (It’s TOO beautiful right now not to be able to do anything!)

Best of luck at the marathon this weekend! Tapers are tough but sounds like you’re doing a great job in resting up for the big race.

My favorite get pumped up song is We Run the Night by Havana Brown. But for something a bit more chill, I also like Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys. Perfect for the early miles so you don’t go out too fast!

Thank you so much! I’m TRYING to do a great job! I never realized that resting would be one of the hardest things I’ve done this whole time.

Both of these are great suggestions. Especially the Alicia Keys. I always like to have some slower stuff in the beginning to keep me calm!

Hey yo! Take a deep breath and ENJOY the taper. It’s your little mini reward before your big reward come race day! Ha, I miss Chris Farley. Lay off man, I’m starvin! And haha, I had some gnarly zombie toes back when I was Dopey. Have you ever seen Lost in Translation? The scene where Bill F’ng Murray comments on ScarJo’s “Brack Toe”? Hahaha

I think the weirdest part of this week is that there is really nothing else I can do, ya know? Like I just have to basically trust that I did enough of a good job training and then sit on my butt and not move around too much. I feel all out of sorts!

Chris Farley is the man and YES I have seen that movie! (And it’s awesome!) I actually thought about you earlier when I was doing my easy 3. My toe was hurting a little and I was thinking…oh god I hope I don’t bleed through my socks and shoes on race day. I think that photo made a very big impact all over blog world haha.

• piratebobcat says:

Ha, I know how you feel. Yes, just trust that you did the training and it will pay off!

Haha, I’m sorry about that! Some of the things that helped my aching toes was Features socks, Bodyglide on my toes, and Rocktape on them as well.

14. The running schlub says:

Way to taper, very good job. I’m watching over this, be a good role model, I’ll be tapering later this year and will be following your example lol.

I listen to hardcore rock music, any interest?

Haha I will do my best. Now that I know that someone is using me as an example of how to taper, I better actually rest. 🙂

YES to the hardcore rock. I love running to heavy stuff (Rob Zombie is one of my favorites). Any suggestions are very welcome!

15. irishrunnerchick says:

Nice plan. Try to remember that this rest/taper is just as important for your race as long of your crazy-long runs.

I love any Michael Jackson from the 80s especially Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough. I like to sing the lyrics in my head – don’t stop til your reach mile 18/water station/finish line/whatever. Also Gwen Stefani – What you waiting for – and AC/DC – You shook me all night long.

You are absolutely right and that is an excellent approach. After my 3 mile run earlier (which I did at a 9:12 pace like a smart person), I still felt antsy so I WALKED on the treadmill. I haven’t walked on a treadmill since I hurt myself. I don’t think I could be taking this more seriously if I tried. 🙂

That is one of my favorite MJ songs (just downloaded it) and I love that Gwen and AC/DC song too! We have similar tastes. Asking about this on here was a very good idea. Thank you! 🙂

16. northernambitions says:

Oh I totally know what you mean, tapering sucks! You’re in a groove and then it comes to a screeching halt. When I lose my running, 2 miles seems like hell but it’s such a good feeling when it’s super easy. I love listening to Ratatat when I run. it doesn’t have any lyrics but the beats are fast and keep my tempo up without being annoying rave music. Or “Co-Pilot” is one of my favourite running songs. I always sprint when it’s on 🙂

I did feel that way today with the 3. Short, easy, watched a movie for a bit while I ran. It wasn’t so bad except that I was still a little keyed up afterward and walked for a bit to get the extra energy out. I JUST HAVE TOO MUCH ENERGY!

I’m looking up both of these wonderful suggestions! Thank you!

17. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

WOOOO can’t believe you’re tapering already! It seems like you just started training to me! A few songs (which are all over the place) off of my playlist from my last half:

The Walker- Fitz & the Tantrums
    Time Is Running Out- Muse
    Here It Goes Again- OK Go
    Feel Again- OneRepublic
    Titanium- David Guetta

Good luck tapering! Or should I say good luck to your family 😉

Hahaha I already warned my husband that I probably won’t be the most fun this week, but if I take up a hobby like baking cookies or something I’m sure he will excuse my craziness a little.

Guess what!? I have 3 of those 5 songs on my phone already so I think you have EXCELLENT musical taste! The Walker is one of my current faves to run to, Muse is one of my favorite bands EVER, and I love that OK Go song. And the hilarious video that goes along with it. I like OneRepublic and David Guetta too, so I’ll have to add those on! Thank you thank you!

GOOD GIRL. That’s my #mamasalt. I will say one thing–run without music for as long as you can during the marathon before you turn it on. a) it’s a cool experience b) people will be crowding at the beginning, so it will benefit you to be able to hear them.
    And then blast “Hammer Time.” Trust.

19. michelle says:

I love reading everyone’s suggestions! Songs I wish I could run to right now

The Temporary Blues by The Features
    Back and Forth by Dismemberment Plan
    All These Things I’ve Done by the Killers
    Read My Mind by the Killers
    99 Problems by Jay-Z

Good luck getting the perfect mix!

20. Pandora Viltis says:

There’s a song called Black Betty bam-a-lam that was inspired by music from the Dukes of Hazzard movie that never fails to get me going. I first heard it in a spin class when the instructor would have us do an all out sprint at the end of class. We’d “race” to see who pedaled to a mile first, and when she played this song I always won.

I’m excited that I’m getting back to regular running after a recovery period. I only ran 28 miles last week, and it made me more nuts than the taper did.

21. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Bless your heart you need to relax!!! I love Timber by Pitbull and Tonight’s gonna be a good night from Black eye peas. I’m all about the happy upbeat songs to keep my momentum going! You are going to be great!!!

22. courtruns4cupcakes says:

I’m weird and I actually enjoy the taper. I think it’s just because I’m lazy and it gives me an excuse to sit on the couch and eat carbs haha! As for a song suggestion my favorite song right now is Classic by MKTO. It makes me so happy every time I listen to it!!

Hall of Fame by The Script always makes me feel super awesome. Happy to see you’re sticking to your word and taking it easy. Although I can’t imagine what tapering is like for a marathon. It sounds like something easy that’s actually really hard haha

Here are a few randoms that I added to my playlist for my last marathon:
    Fergie: A little party never killed nobody
    Phillip phillip- raging fire
    Madonna- Borderline
    Fitz and the tantrums- The Walker

Good luck with the taper! It’s awesome that you have a plan for the week. That should make it a little easier to rest!

25. alsoranagain says:

I’m tapering, too, and it’s the worst. All I want to do is eat cheeseburgers. Seriously. My marathon (May 31) can’t come soon enough!

Some of my motivating songs: Red Lights – Tiesto; Not Over You – Gavin DeGraw (weird, I know, but it has a driving beat); Wild Ones – Flo Rida and Sia; Chandelier – Sia; Pretty Hurts – Beyonce.

26. laurenwayjurlee says:

Eminem is what gets me pumped up! I always start pre-race with “Encore” to get me starting to focus. I love to start the first few miles of the race with “Won’t Back Down” featuring Pink. I think his intensity is what gets me going!

Good Luck!