Race Recap: Wonder Women! {Women’s Distance Festival 5K}

I think from now on all my short distance races need to be on the fly. Much like the Red Hot Run a couple of weeks ago, this one was an incredibly last-minute decision. Like so last-minute that I wasn’t even committed to it on the drive over and when I realized that I had forgotten my Garmin and went home to get it, I almost didn’t leave the house again. I was exhausted, it was chilly outside, and I just wasn’t feeling it.

Plus…yeah I know. I’m supposed to be tapering. But short runs are part of a taper right? And this was just a regular 5K sans world’s largest water slides and wrecking balls.

I found out about this race through my run club. The Women’s Distance Festival is part of a Grand Prix series sponsored by the Maryland RRCA and participating clubs. It consists of 10 5K races  and women who complete 4 or more of these races are eligible for a participation award. I don’t know if I’m going to end up participating in 3 more or not – more last-minute decisions? – but what captured my interest was the fact that they are women-only events. The most well-known of these is the Baltimore Women’s Classic, which I am going to miss due to the fact that I’ll be Ambassador-ing it up at The Fit Foodie in Fairfax. It’s hard to be sad about something when the trade-off is a race/yoga/stuffing my face with delicious food kind of weekend.

(PS: COME RUN WITH ME!)

This particular race is held at a local college and from what I understood, the course would be 2 loops of the campus. I didn’t go to the school so I wasn’t familiar with the campus at all, but as I drove in I noted that it was a whole heck of a lot of rolling hills. Parking was no problem and sign up was a breeze, just as it normally is with run club events. The premium for this race is REALLY nice too:

bag

A single shoulder backpack with lots of pockets, a water bottle holder, and moisture-resistant lining. Perfect for all my funky gym gear.

I got myself organized and went out for a little warm up jog to kill some time before the 8am start. I didn’t have any delusions of grandeur for this race. I had just run 8 miles the day before and yes…supposed to be tapering so this was just for fun. If I felt like I could speed it up a little I would, but if not? NBD.

Just before 8 we got the signal to move on up the hill to the start. This race has a fantastic downhill finish. I was a little worried that we would be starting right next to the finish line and have a steep climb right away, but luckily that was not the case. Some announcements happened, we were introduced to the fellow that would be leading us through the first course loop via bicycle, and a smiling woman sang the National Anthem before the instructions were given to take our marks and an air horn went off WAY too close to my head.

I was part of the front of the pack at the start and then for the first quarter-mile or so I was actually THE front. Of the whole thing.

Just me and dude on the bicycle.

Scared+cat

It sounds kind of awesome, but this has never happened to me before and as a result I panicked. I’m always following at least someone and being the lead person felt REALLY bizarre. I have a bad habit of going out way too fast in 5Ks so I took this as a sign that this was the case and cooled my jets a little bit. Two very fast girls that were running together passed me and I felt this odd sense of relief like a lot of pressure had just been lifted off. That’s when I started to relax and really found my groove.

Because the course is two loops, I would get to tackle this one gnarly hill twice. The first time around it was no problem and the person standing at the top of the hill – which just so happened to be the end of mile 1 – yelled that I was at 6:50-something…I couldn’t really hear her over the Chemical Brothers, but it sounded awesome! I was doing better than I expected! There was a little bit of a downhill after that and I passed over the starting line for the second time, still in 3rd place, and feeling really strong.

Shortly after mile 2 there was that damn hill again and this time it was more like Mt Everest. I knew that once I got to the top that I would be in the home stretch. Or so I thought. As I huffed and puffed my way up, I started to wonder how this was going to be a full 5K because 2 loops of the campus was working out to be quite short. As if to answer my question, a volunteer standing at the crest of the hill steered me and the two fast girls who I had closed in on quite a bit to the right instead of the left and down a nice hill. Just as I started to really enjoy the break for my legs we reached another volunteer who was turning us back around.

UGH.

Up again we went.

Now I was passing other runners who were about to encounter the same sad surprise. After that was behind us though? Smooth sailing. I hit the final downhill, turned into the driveway and cranked it up to eleven. I glimpsed the clock as I went past and in that moment I thought I knew, but I couldn’t be 100% sure until I shut off my watch. I almost stayed home, but instead I held on to my 3rd place finish and even better, I kicked one of my 2014 running goals straight in the teeth.

Official time:

21:48

MY FIRST SUB-22 RACE FINISH!!!

(And a new PR obviously.)

tumblr_m71o482YqP1qc2n8to1_500

My splits:

1    6:53.9    1.00    6:54
2    7:02.1    1.00    7:02
3    7:17.6    1.00    7:18 <— That final hill was a killer.
4    :35.3    0.11    5:17 <— That’s what happens when I crank it up. One day I will run a full mile that fast. (In my dreams.)

The awards were super cool and unique as well:

trophy

It’s a starfish! I’m in love with it.

And now? I’M TAPERING. Seriously. The rest of the day was spent walking around the zoo, attending a birthday party, playing at the playground, and drinking margaritas.

From start to finish, everything about this race was awesome and I’m not just saying that because of my PR. (BUT OMG PR!!) The course was beautiful and easy to navigate, the volunteers were awesome, the awards were fun, friendly attitudes all around, and there was a great little post race spread set out for us. I met some very cool people…usually I fly so solo at events like this and it was extra fun having some great conversations with folks. (I even foresee some track nights in my future!)

For some of the women there this race was their graduation from the C25K program and it was so inspirational to see them achieve that goal! There was also a runner there who is nearly 80 years old and she finished the tough course in 40 minutes. Simply awesome.

I want to be her when I grow up.

I hope everyone had an amazing weekend full of fun, friends, good weather, and great runs!

Where did your feet take you?

54 thoughts on “Race Recap: Wonder Women! {Women’s Distance Festival 5K}

good God you are fast!! I am seriously considering cancelling my flight and weekend trip so I can run the Fit Foodie thing with you all. My BFF would be disappointed but who cares? (kidding, I care) Anywho, I did Baltimore Women’s Classic last year and LOVED it!! Frist time they offered bling for it too.

2. Michele says:

Way to taper, lady! I cheered my little heart and pink hat out, for friends running the Capitola marathon yesterday. Saturday I did a 10 mile run, first 4 miles were awesome, last 6 were trail with a huge a$$ hill that was more like a mountain in the middle (797 elevation to get up)

3. Sara says:

Congrats on the PR! You are a cheetah! If I tried to run as fast as you I would implode. I did my first ever 6 miles on Saturday. Now it’s easy street until Zooma.

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT YOUR RUN ON SATURDAY! You are so well prepared that it’s not even funny. You are going to rock the hell out of Zooma. Ahhh I wish I was doing Zooma!

4. themilereport says:

You. are. a. BEAST!! 5k PR the week before the marathon?!?! My dad likes to run a 5k race the week before a marathon as a little tune-up. You are seriously going to rock next Sunday.

Freaking awesome! So proud and thrilled for you! I love reading this stuff from you – definitely helps me thinking about my upcoming shorter races!

Thank you so much! I can’t wait to hear all about your shorter races. They are going to be great!

Honestly I have been having a lot of fun doing these short ones in between the long training runs. 🙂

6. irishrunnerchick says:

Awesome race! Great time with some killer hills – I feel like those PRs should have an * so people know how extra impressive they are! And that starfish is super cute. Hope taper week is enjoyable/bearable/goes quickly.

Thanks! If today is any indication, it will go SOOOOO SLOWLY. I know I need the rest though so that’s okay. I just hope I don’t lose my mind before the weekend.

So so happy about this–SWIRLGEARWONDERWOMAN. And I love that bag! I used to have a sling backpack like that that I adored, but I’ve no idea what happened to it. Now, please taper. Or I will be forced to hunt you down and tie you to the couch and feed you decaf caramel frappuccinos. Actually. Let’s do that. But don’t make me do it for the wrong reasons, k? And that award is fantabulous. For reals. But congratulations, I am so proud of you!
    My feet took me on a few runs this weekend! I’m trying to build strength back in them, which is a funny concept, but we’re getting there (I hope) slowly but surely (I hope). I’m so excited about your race this weekend! It will change your life in ways you can’t anticipate, whether it goes the way you want it to or not. You’re never the same after a marathon.
    MWAH

I was going to say…that sounds decidedly NOT terrible. Though I will miss the caffeine. As long as it’s prior to 4pm, can they please still be caffeinated? (really though I have no idea what I was thinking. Seemed like a good idea at the time to get the venti too.)

Hooray for running this weekend! Slowly but surely sounds like a very positive thing to me. 🙂 Really the only way I want this weekend to go is for me to get across the finish line upright. 2nd goal can involve crawling. I just want the medal and the “marathoner” title. 🙂 MWAH to YOU! ❤

8. Change of Pace says:

Congratulations on a fast PR, third place overall, and a cool starfish!! Sounds like a really great race!
    This weekend Kelly and I went for a long mountain bike. On our way home we saw the cutest old (like probably near 80?!) woman running UP a huge hill! Kelly turned to me and said that’ll be me in 40-50 years. I can only hope 🙂

Awesome job! You are so speedy you are almost as fast as Shalane! 😉 Seriously, amazing job, I hope someday I can crank out a 5K like that!

Haha almost as fast as Shalane for .11 miles. YAY! 😀 (My legs were about to fly off my body after that…I have no idea how hers are still attached.) Thank ya! 🙂

10. Elizabeth says:

Hiya…found you thru Jen Marie..will be running with (behind) you on Sunday! Wishing you good luck in your first marathon…the first is always the best! Don’t let those taper crazies get you this week..I am doing my best to stay calm and chill. Elizabeth

I love them for the exact same reason. Run as fast as you can for a bit and see where it gets you. 🙂 Thank you so much! I’m actually resting starting today!

That’s so awesome! Way to go! I love the trophy! As for you getting up the hill, I knew you could, I knew you could, I knew you could, I knew you could, I knew you could, choo chooooooo!

Thank you so much! That seems to be my MO right about now. The past two races I went out in I wasn’t feeling it at all and PRed both times. Maybe I shouldn’t feel like it more often. 🙂

It was cool, but freaky at the same time!

12. Hailey says:

Congratulations on the breakthrough! That’s so awesome. It’s even more exciting that you did that off of marathon training! That should give you some confidence heading into your big race. 🙂

I’m always so inspired by the older men and women who are still rocking it. I want to be like them when I grow up too 🙂

Thanks, friend! It definitely did give me an extra boost going into this week. 🙂
      I hope that I see that woman at so many more events. I want to hear her whole story!

13. Brooke Evan says:

Wow. Great going. I enjoyed reading this post. I have two hills on my daily running route that I greet each day like they are old friends. It’s good to see my old friends every morning but I am happy to have my daily chit-chat with them and leave them behind till the next day.
    I don’t run in events but I do like to imagine that I am sometimes. It helps to make the run more interesting.

14. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Woohoo! Congrats on your PR!!! You are FAST! 🙂 I know what you mean about the feeling of absolute panic being alone in the front (that happened to me one time in a very uncompetitive race and it’s OK with me if it never happens again!).

Also, for some reason your posts are no longer appearing in my wordpress reader so I keep missing them. I have to figure that out because I really enjoy reading your inspiring race recaps! I’m looking forward to your marathon. 😉