Week 17 Training Recap and The Friday Five!

According to my training plan, this is week 17 or the taper week before the taper week. According to my own personal plan, this is more like week 7 since that’s right around where I jumped in after a month of barely running at all.

Hence why I tend to feel so unprepared for all this.

WHERE MY TAPER BUDDIES AT!?

(Colby? Tantra? Karen?)

I’m seriously so happy to know such cool people who are going through this at the exact same time I am. It really takes the edge off.

My mileage is on a steady decline. I really want to take care of my leg right now. I have been pretty much entirely pain free, but then this morning I woke up with a stiff/sore right knee so of course I’m over-analyzing that to no end. The pain feels less like something is pulled and more like a bruise; very local in one spot, but I can’t see anything on the outside. Either way right now it’s taped and today is a rest day so hopefully it will be much better for 8 miles tomorrow.

I love you, Kinvara. <3

I love you, Kinvara. ❤

Workouts this week:

• Saturday, May 10: 12 miles (8:09 pace). This one was rough. I was hurting, it was humid and I could have used a snorkel to save me from my own sweat by the time I was done.
  • Sunday, May 11: 1 hour on the Octane + stroller runs to and from the playground (totaling a little over 2.5 miles).
  • Monday, May 12: 50 minutes on the bike (12.4 miles) + abs.
  • Tuesday, May 13: 4 mile speed work (warmup + 3x1200s @ around 6:50 pace) + arms & core.
  • Wednesday, May 14: 6.2 easy (8:01 pace) + 90 minutes of hot yoga.
  • Thursday, May 15: 3.1 miles progressive with hill intervals (7:34 pace) + abs.
  • TODAY:

sleepy-office-bunny-o

Not enough coffee in the world. This is definitely a two Starbucks visit kind of day. Actually I’m going to take a long lunch and go cash in on my Mother’s Day massage. I need it and I can’t wait.

DC_linkup

It’s Friday!!! Friday!!! And time to link up with my favorite lovely DC ladies (that would be the Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney) to talk about five things. This week’s theme is “5 Reasons to…” As in:

5 Reasons to…NOT Do the ROC Race with My Best Friend

poe

This is Favorite. Just to clarify, she is the one on the right. Though it would be pretty cool to be BFFs with the Ravens mascot.

This Sunday, Favorite will be taking no prisoners at Baltimore’s ROC Race. For those of you who do not know what a “ROC Race” is, “ROC” stands for Ridiculous Obstacle Course and the “Race” part refers to the fact that it’s a 5K. A little while ago, she asked me if I wanted to do the ROC Race with her. I really REALLY did. Sadly, I had to decline.

obstacles

These are just FIVE of the reasons that I opted out. There are also five to seven additional reasons, but these strike me as the ones that I would be most likely to obtain an injury on. Numbers 1 and 4 are both recipes for a face plant. Due to past field day experiences I already know I’m not coordinated enough to run through tires. Number 3? I’ve seen Total Wipeout once or twice and I know what can happen. And I’m not taking my chances with anything called the “Wrecking Ball”.

I am officially SINGLE DIGIT DAYS away from my first full marathon and as much fun as the world’s largest inflatable water slide sounds I’d never be able to forgive myself if I ended up in a body cast from falling off of it. I’ll just have to cheer her on from the sidelines this time.

tumblr_mvvjf6QSxu1sm5e95o1_250

Have you ever done an obstacle course race? Would you ever? Do you like giant inflatable water slides? (Who doesn’t!?)

I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL weekend!

34 thoughts on “Week 17 Training Recap and The Friday Five!

Great week of workouts! You’re going to crush that marathon! Good luck to your friend! You’re smart not to run that ‘race’. You don’t want to get hurt before your 26.2. I did the same thing before the Dopey Challenge – I quit my soccer team cause it was too dangerous. I still can’t believe I quit my first love for running. But that’s where I’m at now!

Thanks! I hope so. And I will tell her you said so. 🙂 I can pretty much guarantee that I would hurt myself in some way doing this, so definitely better to just sit this one out.

2. runcolbyrun says:

Taper Buddy! Here! Reporting for duty, Salt! That was like a Charlie’s Angels Role Call!Only with exhausted, tapering runners. 🙂 I am right there with you. In fact, I’m sitting here with a Starbucks venti that is NOT big enough (shoulda gone with the trenta)stressing over how tight my lower back is and wondering WHAT IS UP WITH MY LEFT KNEE?!?!?! The Taper Crazies have taken hold. Big Time. And after The Long Run Where I Destroyed My Face, the aches and weird pains (and black and blues) seem like they’re four times greater than during any other taper. Deep breathes. Come race day, they will all disappear. Promise. I’m right with you though. And it’s maddening. I also can’t stop watching that bunny fall off his chair. I am that fluffy, tuckered bunny. I even broke all major rules and am rocking a pair a white skinny jeans. BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY. Whaaa???? Risk taker. Speaking of which, BRAVO for you for passing on the Japanese Game Show-Ninja Race. (Although I admit, I’d be bummed if Tina was doing it and I was watching. Be. Brave.) That race screams Emergency Room for a soon to be MARATHONER! Salt I have so enjoyed “meeting you” and reading about your training, life and everything in between. You. Are. Fierce. Run with your heart. Take it all in. Look the finish line dead in the eye, run right over it. I can NOT wait for your recap. 🙂
    Colby

YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE ME CRY! This comment just got me so pumped up! Thank you so much, friend. I have so enjoyed “meeting you” too. The Internet is a wonderful place! (Most of the time.)

I totally went to Starbucks again.

Taper Buddies form together like Voltron to create the biggest most tired-est runner of all time.

• Run Colby Run says:

TOTES! Taper Buddies are FIERCE! 🙂

PS…Glad I didn’t have the trenta. I’m literally on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Holy arrhythmia.

I totally agree on NOT doing the ROC … I am very protective of my injury-free status, and wouldn’t do that sort of thing.

I am really excited for your race and so glad you have been able to come back to running! I wrote up the whole ‘taper hypochondria’ thing a week or two ago … it really is ‘a thing’! 🙂

I just need to stay the heck off of WebMD for the next 9 days and I’ll be good to go!

I’m such a klutz that I can pretty much guarantee an injury if I did this race. I’ll just have to live vicariously through my friend. 🙂

Thank you so much! I hope they bring it back to Baltimore so I have another shot at it. 🙂 I’m not usually one for obstacle races, but I think it would be so fun to do it with a friend!

4. hellyontherun says:

Yes, to NO on that race! I’m not an obstacle race type person–but you already know that 🙂

I had to give up playing basketball for running. It just has too many risks for injuries. I do obsessively watch it on tv though.

I had no idea! I knew you played, but I had no idea that you gave it up to run. I guess I’m kind of lucky to have been such a lazy non-athletic person for so long.

5. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

word. you are smart not to do that race right before your marathon (yay! can’t wait to hear how you rock it!). i wouldn’t touch that race w/a 10 ft pole for a big goal race!!

6. northernambitions says:

Oh wow the ROC race looks like so much fun, but you’re probably smart to opt out just in case. Good luck with your full marathon race! Yah I’m excited for you so you must be ecstatic 🙂 I did one obstacle race and it was such a riot. Everyone was laughing and helping each other out, definitely one of the best races I’ve done.

7. themilereport says:

Taper twin- we ARE SO CLOSE!!! our “injury radars” are on super high alert right now, so your knee will be fine by race day! I mean, if you have 2 functioning lungs, you’re ahead of me! 😉 After we survive taper crazies (remember that it’s better to be undertrained than overtrained!!!), we’ll SO ROCK these races. This is my 5th and I’ve never felt ready for a marathon, but once we get out there, it’ll be awesome! 😀 😀

8. Change of Pace says:

Ah- the phantom pains that pop up in taper! Don’t read too much into it, unless you truly think it’s an issue! And I totally agree with themilereport- way better undertrained than overtrained! Plus, you got in a lot of long runs, which is what really matters for the marathon!

The TV show Wipeout (which, of course, I do love) has pretty much cured me of ever wanting to do an obstacle course race. Also, I have absolutely no vertical leap capacity and would be useless in getting over things. And, I’m whiney. Give me a long ass run any day of the week, and I’m good, but make me do a short run over things and I will kindly ask you where my horse is.
    And the phantom pains are just that PHANTOMS. Your body is literally wondering WTF as to why you aren’t running all over the place. They will continue. You are fine.

Ah I hope your knee is ok! My knee starting hurting a few weeks before my marathon but with a couple days of rest it was totally fine. But mine hurt way worse than it sounds like yours does, so its probably just a phantom pain!
    I think I saw stuff for the ROC getting set up at the stadium today! I was wondering what that was for. I guess these obstacle race type things are getting much more popular, since thats also the day of the Challenge Nation Race. While it would probably be fun to do something like that, I am way too clumsy and since I fall down when I am just running I don’t think I should also try jumping over things at the same time!

11. LD says:

Shoot, I’ve been on a “taper” for the past two months. I need to start stepping up my game! 🙂 I don’t blame you for opting out of the race. I was bruised up and down my whole body after doing an obstacle race (I also lack coordination!). Although, you could possibly be the first person to run a marathon in a full body cast…..

I had a friend ask me to do that one too and I declined for the same reason. I’m worried about getting hurt during the obstacles because I’m a total klutz.

13. Michele @ A Pace of Balance says:

I thought about running one of those obstacle races with friends, but it looks like a big accident waiting to happen. I’d rather stick to my regular races where I get injured during training, lol! Good luck at your marathon, woo hoo!

14. Running Bear says:

So close to your race, exciting times!

When I was at the same point you are, just about a month ago, I started logging all my “ailments” whether perceived or real. It helped me vent the anxiety of the upcoming race and the lack of outlet via running because of taper. I created a blog post in draft form, kept adding to it every day, and then right before the race I published it with about two weeks of entries in it. A similar thing might help you.

Here’s a link to it if you’re interested in reading some of my insanity.