Wednesday in a few words: My How You’ve Grown.

Because we all know that Salt is to wordless as Amanda Bynes is to sanity.

giphy

Whatever. Analogies are fun.

This past weekend was jam packed full of awesome with my family. Sunday included early morning cuddles with a sweet little Betty, Mother’s Day breakfast, a great time had by all at the baseball game (even though we lost), and lobster tails for dinner. On Saturdays Mr. Salt works all day, so Betty and I got together with my mom/her Nana for a yummy lunch and a trip to the Strawberry Festival in Baltimore.

The Strawberry Festival is put together by an area church and it has been around for as long as I can remember. I used to go all the time as a kid and it hasn’t changed a bit. It’s not very big – just about one neighborhood block long – and includes vendors who have set up tables where people can buy handmade items, a BBQ where you can buy hotdogs and hamburgers, games for kids, a bounce house, and a little petting zoo with pony rides. You would think that there would also be strawberries or strawberry related items for sale, but I’ve never seen any. The name of this festival is misleading.

Anyway, Betty had her first ever pony ride there last year when she was just barely over a year old. Of course I took lots of pictures because I’m her mom; I have about 2,000 pictures of her in my phone right now and that’s only from like the past 2 months. This year we were determined to get a photo of Betty riding the pony again and that we did. In fact, my mom did such a great job of capturing the photo that when I did a side by side comparison I realized that she had taken it not only in the same pose, but in almost the exact same spot. I’m half-tempted to Photoshop it so that it looks like the same horse too.

Nice job, Nana!

Never mind that she has a creepy arm growing out of her back in the first photo; I was hanging on to her for dear life thinking she was going to topple off that horse at any moment. This year she didn’t need my help at all.

Look how much she’s grown!

I see this little girl every day so sometimes I forget that she was ever so small. But here she is one year later in the exact same moment and it almost makes my head (and heart) explode. I always thought the whole “they grow up so fast” thing was kind of cliché, but they really do grow up so fast.

ponyride

Riding off into the sunset. Or just over to the bouncy house.

As with everything else, I’m fashionably late to the Mother’s Day party this week, but I sincerely hope that all you moms out there had a beautiful weekend with your loved ones!

saltyladies

4 Generations of Salty Ladies!

PS. The woman on the left is the original Betty, my wonderful grandma whom my little Betty was named for. She passed away in 2005 and so obviously never got to meet her, but I have no doubt that they would have been BFFs.

Have you ever been back to a particular spot to take a photo years later? (I LOVE doing that!)

36 thoughts on “Wednesday in a few words: My How You’ve Grown.

Yeah, that is like my ‘wordless’ posts … like THAT is ever going to happen!

Love all of those pics, esp the multi-generational one – and it is really astounding watching them grow. I commented elsewhere how at the doctor yesterday for my older son when the PA had him taking deep breaths I was doing it with him just like when he was little – even though he now towers over me, and is 17! haha

Awww I love that. 🙂 And thank you! My mom posted that picture up of my grandmother last week and I hadn’t seen it in so many years. My family makes my heart so happy. 🙂

2. Change of Pace says:

That photo of the women in your family is stunning- all gorgeous women!
    Glad you had a nice Mother’s Day weekend! Funny there are no strawberries at the festival 🙂
    and how brave of Betty to ride the horse without your help! I cannot believe how much more mature my niece is each time I see her. I swear sometimes when we talk (she’s four), I feel like I’m talking to my sister (34)!

Thank you so much! I was definitely shocked (about the strawberries and the pony ride). I asked her if she needed my help and she said “no mommy, I do it” so I just left her to it. She rode twice and was yelling “yee haw!” the whole time. It’s so amazing how much they learn and so fast. It wasn’t long ago that I couldn’t carry on a meaningful conversation with her at all and now she never stops talking!

3. northernambitions says:

Aw Betty looks so cute. I haven’t done a photo like this but once I saw a calender and every month was a picture of these two siblings walking (in summer, rain, snow, fall, etc) to school it was so cute!

Awwwww this is too cute. My family always did the Spring Break pic on top of the mountain at Vail, so that I would say is our best example of repeat pictures. I look ridiculous and toothless in the first one, and by then end of it I’m too cool for school. And taller. And with more teeth. I love that collage of the 4 gens–so cool.

I love that! I wish we had a regular place where we took family vacations so we could do something like that. 🙂 I’m so glad to hear about your teeth. 🙂

I cannot take credit for the idea as it was my mom’s and she is brilliant. I’m so glad she thought of it because I can’t stop looking at it! (And maybe tearing up just a little!) Thank you so much!

Happy (belated) Mother’s Day! That is so cute that you were able to take the same picture a year later! I have never heard of the Strawberry Festival, but it sounds like fun! (Even though there are no strawberries…?)

Thanks, lady! Yeah it’s a super small thing and the only reason I know about it is because I used to live like right down the street from it. It’s a very quaint, nice time though. (It’s in Roland Park which you might be familiar with.)

So weird about the no strawberries.

6. emmelineruns says:

I love those family shots! And the resemblance between your grandmother and mom and mom and you is so striking and sweet, it’ll be fun to see how Betty grows into it 🙂

Thanks! I never realized how much Little Betty resembles OG Betty until I put these all together. I’m excited to see what other traits she picks up too!

Happy Mothers Day to you! I was following along with your adventures on Instagram. Good for her for holding on to the horse! The other week our littler one wanted to ride the big kid swing at the park, I stupidly put her on. That lasted for about 10 seconds before she decided to let go of the chains and face plant in the mulch. Then a week later we were at the same park and this time she got Jennie to put her on the big kid swing. As soon as I saw it I yelled, but it was too late, another header. She’s OK though.

Thanks! Oh man I always have to talk Betty out of those big kid swings because I’m afraid of that exact same thing happening. I am sure the outcome would be the same. And then our kids would be faceplant twins.

8. The running schlub says:

Happy belated mothers day. Sounds like a great mother’s day weekend. Our baby is almost two and I agree 100%, you see them every day so you miss how big they are getting. Pony pics are adorable. The 4 generation pic is amazing and I’m stealing that idea for my fiance lol I call that a blogger steal!

9. Hailey says:

Love that generation photo! I don’t think I’ve ever taken a picture in the same spot as another picture from a different time, but that is such a great idea!

Thanks so much! What I REALLY want to do is go back to the spot where we got married and take a before and after there with Betty. Because it would cool, but also the perfect excuse for a Caribbean vacation. 🙂

She is so adorable!! Time goes by so fast. Happy Mother’s Day (belated)…I get so behind reading blog posts 😉 And I’m jealous of the lobster, my all time favorite food!!

11. themilereport says:

I love the 4 generations of Salt women picture! something like that would make a great mother’s day present (I’ll have to keep it in mind for next year!). Betty is just the cutest

12. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

LOVE it!!! First, I must say all the ladies in your family could be models. Second, I think I would boycott the Strawberry festival because I would expect strawberries and be incredibly disappointed when I did not receive any.