Let the weather stalking commence!

12 more days.

giphy

My current hobbies include:

• Obsessing over absolutely every slightly sore muscle, minuscule twinge, itch, sneeze, hang nail, etc. Runner’s hypochondria is a fascinating thing.
  • Actively avoiding WebMD. See above.
  • Choking back vomit when anyone mentions my marathon/other marathons/a footrace of any distance/someone they saw running down the street.
  • Staring slack-jawed at the calendar that has the remainder of my training program written out on it. Even though I’ve read it at least 700 times and could recite it in my sleep.
  • Planning, re-planning, and re-planning my outfit.
  • Planning, re-planning, and re-planning my playlist. Including – but not limited to – spending $10 on Don Henley’s Greatest Hits because I heard “Dirty Laundry” on the radio the other day, decided that my entire race was hinging on this one song, and wouldn’t let the fact that it was listed as Album Only on iTunes stop me. (Luckily I pink puffy heart Don Henley.)

And most recently:

• Watching the extended weather forecast with the same sort of deranged fervor that I imagine is usually reserved for people who chase tornadoes for a living.

Here is it, y’all:

pottsweather

My weather for the morning of May 25.

I’m choosing to ignore the part about the “RealFeel” being 81 degrees. WTF is a “RealFeel”? That’s never accurate anyway, is it? No wind is good! 56% humidity isn’t terrible. I would have preferred overcast, but it’s better than rain. Right? Can someone explain “Dew Point” to me please? And visibility…does that mean I can see the finish line when I’m 10 miles away from it?! Thank goodness I just got a new visor and if the trail up there is anything like it is down here, there will be some shade! I LIKE SHADE. SHADE IS GOOD.

bf061a004ccf9861a849d96133605c7c

Anyinsaneoutburst, I went out for my final 12 – which was horrible I might add…I’m SO SORE – on Saturday morning and the weather was a little like that forecast up there. It was my warmest long run since Florida and I was way overdressed. For some dumbass reason I thought 3/4 length pants with calf sleeves were a good idea and by mile 9 I looked like an unfortunate dunk tank victim. I’m pretty glad it happened that way though because I learned a valuable lesson. This winter had me so used to wearing ALL THE CLOTHES and I guess I don’t need to do that anymore.

So as you can see…the taper crazies have officially begun.

What is your favorite kind of running weather? Do you like Don Henley? It’s totally normal for me to be freaking out like this, right? RIGHT!?

(Happy Tuesday, wonderful friends!)

66 thoughts on “Let the weather stalking commence!

Did you just speak in Emoji? 😀 haha

Totally get what you are saying … I think all of us do it to some varying extent (though I don’t stress on outfit, I must confess) – and I use three weather sources to cross-reference.

Love it – and excited to track (stalk) your progress! 🙂

I adore you–this is hilarious and so so true. Here is my take: there is nothing you can do about the weather, and you are going to run the GD thing anyway. YA HEAR ME??? YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT. I would be a little worried about water, as you are made of salt, but unless it’s boiling, you’ll be fine. Think of it as extra hydration! My advice: prepare for everything, set out 3 different outfits, and then pick what you need the day of. Stretch it out, but enjoy your time with the #dashofsalt. But let me know what you decide to wear, so that I can wear the same thing that day 😀
    When I ran my marathon, it threatened rain the whole day, and I was terrified–I HATE running in rain. And then I was like what if it rains, I get hurt, I get cold, and then I’m stuck??? And you know what? IT DIDN”T HAPPEN. Fret it out, my friend, leave it behind, and drink your wine now, your propel later. From a wine glass #classy

I AM GOING TO DO IT. You are absolutely right. I need to start relaxing and stop freaking out about every little thing. And I need to drink Propel from a wine glass. I’m going to suggest to Mr. Salt (#rocksalt?) that he come prepared with both of those things at the finish line.

Oh and PS we need to exchange numbers! Let’s do some of that on the Facebook. 🙂

3. runningsouthern says:

Ignore the weather! You are gonna kill the marathon, regardless. I love running in overcast weather, but that is long gone until fall, so I am screwed with humidity for months.

I honestly don’t know how you do it down there. We get some crazy heat and humidity there and I know it’s nothing like what you have! (I used to visit my mom in South Carolina all the time when she lived there and could barely breathe down there in August.)

4. prettylittlerunner says:

SAME! I totally look like little stewie at this point lol….I have replanned my outfit at least 6 times and I have looked at the weather sooo many times I could be a meteorologist…why do we do this to ourselves?! lol.. Glad that I’m not the only one:) It’s sad but I think I like the planning race anticipation craziness…lol

I hate to admit it, but I think I like it a little bit too. 🙂 And I’m definitely glad that I’m not going through this alone! We are going to be fine, right?

5. Sara says:

Your race starts early right? You’ll be racing in mid 50s – up in that area, I would imagine it being a little cooler. It’s flat & fast too – which means even if it’s a little warmer weatherwise, the course won’t have any crazy hills or grades to contend with. You’re gonna rock it! Once it’s over you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

My favorite weather has been the high 40s/ low 50s – and gotta have low humidity. If it’s going to be warmer, I’ll still enjoy it on my shaded trail. 🙂

6am and I’m hoping for 50’s. That forecast is for York in the early morning. (Afternoon high will be in the 80’s allegedly.) You’re right. Thank goodness for flat in this case. I do love hills, but I don’t love them as much when it’s like 90 degrees out. 🙂

Your favorite is mine too. Screw humidity!

6. Miranda @ Cupcake Triathlete says:

Oh honey – you’ve got this!! Yes any level on insanity is totally acceptable. You make me laugh out loud (which I needed today). Just try to keep it between the navigational beacons for the next 12 days and you’ll do great!!!

I’m so glad I could give you a smile! (And I hope you are feeling better tonight!) I really do just need to relax and focus. It’s so hard when my brain is all over the place! I’m scheduling a massage for Friday that I hope will help a lot, but I’m not even to the rough part of the taper yet haha. I need to reign it in!

7. themilereport says:

You and me both!! Ha this whole post made me laugh, but it’s all so true! I just finished a hard grad semester, so all of my non-running friends are like, “oh good! now you have plenty of time to run before the marathon!” ha no, I’ll be tapering.
    My favorite running weather is 50 degrees with no wind, no rain, and no hills.

You are seriously like a superhero. Between training for your marathon and finishing up with school, I have no idea how you did it! The thought of training for anything while I was still in school makes my head feel like it could explode.

I dig your favorite running weather! Very similar to mine, except I’m a fan of hills. Most of the time anyway.

8. emmelineruns says:

I love fall marathons because I can usually rely on less humidity and 50 degree temps, this recent 90 degree stuff is terrifying. 72 sounds super reasonable though, and chillier in the morning at the start so I’m thinking you’re going to be great! I check the weather like a freak though, I look at the hourly forecast every day so I can time my run so as to never ever have to run in the rain…yep, totally normal.

I’m beginning to think I’m going to like fall marathons better too. My first half in October was like the PERFECT weather (50’s, overcast, drizzly at all the right times). Start time is 6am so I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed for 50’s.

9. Corinne says:

Haha, you sound like me when I was getting ready for my first half marathon last year! Totally normal 🙂 You will do GREAT. If that 72 degrees is the high for the day, remember you’ll really be running in cooler temps before it reaches that. Pick out a couple different outfits for the race then go with whatever your gut tells you on race day!

Thank you so much! 🙂 72 is the high for the morning I guess. (Daytime high is like 82 I think?) so I’m hoping it will stick to more of the upper 50 range to start. I like the idea of having several outfit choices. I’m going to do that!

10. Diann says:

So exciting!! You are going to absolutely be amazing–no matter what the weather or your outfit!

Re: realfeel–In the Boston area the humidity, wind and other elements play such a factor in how the temp actually feels that I actually play almost closer attention to that than the actual temperature. But I’m sure however you’ve gauged the temperature thus far will be exactly perfect and what you need for your own comfort.

Re: the taper anxiety/crazies. You have yoga/breathing/calming techniques, so you have lots to draw on right now. Good luck. : )

You are the best. 🙂 Thank you for explaining that to me! Now I’m just going to hope for that RealFeel low of 59 to last the whole race!

You are so right too. I need to double up on yoga classes over the next week. 🙂 Thanks, friend!

11. Andrea says:

You are going to be so glad that you tapered when you feel awesome during your race. You’ve done your training and now it’s time to let your body heal. Hopefully the weather will be nice on race day, but if it starts getting warm just grab two cups of water at each station – one to drink and one to dump over your head!

Honestly even now that my mileage just started to drop a little, I can already feel a bit of a difference. I did intervals today for 4 miles and I’m pretty sure if I keep tapering smart I’ll be totally pain free by next weekend! I LOVE the idea of dumping the extra water on my head. Totally doing that! Thank you, lady!

12. Piper's Run says:

I try not to look too early about the weather for race day…however, this weekend is looking pretty awesome for race day! yeah!!!! I’m a fan of overcast so the sun isn’t beating down on you, not too hot – maybe around +15 c to +18c with a little wind.

Hooray for good weather! I’m looking forward to yet another PR from you, lady! 😉 I’m definitely not a fan of beating sun, but I should have shade on race day no matter what happens so at least that’s going for me!

13. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs says:

My race is 2.5 weeks away and I’m already stalking the damn forecast. I told myself I wouldn’t but I pull it up on my phone AT LEAST three times a day – and it’s not even showing race day yet!
    So, yes, totally normal.
    As is worrying about every damn thing. I effing HATE tapering because my mind just spins. So yes, normal.
    Remember that 1) you trained and 2) you’re gonna be fine. Trust your training. Take deep breaths. Kick the marathon in the teeth!

Hahaha I totally feel you and I’m so glad to know that I’m not insane. 🙂
      Thank you so much for the awesome advice. I know I’ll be so much better off if I just relax and trust myself. I have prepared for this just about as well as I could considering what I was up against at the beginning. Now it’s time to just go do it.

I can’t wait to hear all about your race! It’s going to be amazing!

14. Meg says:

I like when it is cloudy so the sun isn’t bright and making me squint and giving me a headache. Temps are relative to me. It’s funny how two months ago 55 degrees felt so nice and warm. Yet today 55 degrees felt chilly.

Anyhooser – You’ll do great and I can’t wait to hear all about it!

It definitely is all relative. After training last summer, I was complaining about the later fall race temps and those were like mid 30’s. I had no idea what cold was yet haha. Thank you so much, friend!

Yup it is totally normal to be freaking out:) I also stalk the weather but it drives me crazy because they change the forecast CONSTANTLY and then still get it wrong. I like running when its overcast but I really hate humidity, so I would rather have it sunny if its cool and not humid then overcast and humid. I have no idea what all the other weather stuff means!
    Try to relax- you’ve got it all covered and you will do great!!

Thanks, lady! Yeah I know it’s probably going to change about a billion times between now and then. Maybe if I leave it alone for a couple days and then check back, it will magically say overcast and 58 degrees with no humidity or wind. Hello, pipe dream.

16. runcolbyrun says:

Step away from the Weather Bug Lady! That’s the one thing you have zero control over so don’t fret. Have wardrobe options at the ready for a heat wave or polar vortex. It is the East Coast after all. 🙂 You’re going to ROCK this Salt! So looking forward to your recap!!!! Deep breathes Taper Buddy. I get a little Cuckoo for Coco Puffs too. And this is my 7th damn time. Trust the training….trust the training….

17. Hannah @ stedgeracing says:

Yes, very normal to freak out–I still stalk the weather report several days out of any of my races 🙂 Try and train in the heat as much as you can between now and the race–that’ll get you used to the temp. Also, plan out your nutrition. You’ll need to be intaking more fluids than you did on your long runs through the winter-and also gels/bars/chews–not sure what you use, but plan it out 🙂 Proper nutrition (and planning for the heat) will make or break a race. 🙂

You always have such amazing advice! I didn’t even think of training out in the heat for the next week or so. I’m definitely going to do that as much as I can! I thought I had a decent nutrition plan in place, but I’m going to need to alter it a little bit with the weather in mind. Thank you so much, Hannah!

• Hannah @ stedgeracing says:

No problem! Let me know if you have any questions about planning your nutrition-I’d like to consider myself an expert on what NOT to do 😉 I’ve died in marathons many times due to poor nutrition.

18. Kristin says:

Hey!!! It is completely normal to be thinking lots about your marathon!!! XOXO!!! You’re going to do so good, though- I just know it!!!
    It was 90 today aaaand…ugh, not a fan, but my favorite running weather is 50!!
    Have a great night!!!

19. irishrunnerchick says:

I’m pretty sure this is normal! I’ve heard so many crazy taper stories but never experienced them myself – check back in September. That forecast looks pretty good to me! You’ve got this, lady!

Do NOT check the forecast that far out. It will change a hundred times before the race.
    But let me tell you Salt, this weekend it was in the 90’s here. This morning it was 54! I felt so great on my run! I’m sending good vibes for good weather for you!
    Go get em, tiger!

I want 54 degrees for MY race! Send some of that this way please! I will gladly take your good weather vibes.

Thank you, friend! I am going to go get em to the best of my ability!

21. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Oh Salt it’s totally normal for you to stress! Just try to avoid the weather app and do lots of yoga to relax! You are going to be great. My favorite kind of weather is the kind they are forcasting for your race. Warm and sunny baby! It’s gonna be amazing!

You’re right. I probably should step away from the weather reports. (WAY easier said than done!) Yoga is definitely on the menu though. I can’t wait to go tomorrow night!

Thank you so much, friend!

22. Pandora Viltis says:

Totally normal to be freaking out. I even titled a post about me freaking out about 13 days before my marathon. You’ll be fine. Just don’t trip on anything in the next few days (one of my giant fears pre-race)

Oh my god mine too. One of my best friends is doing one of those ridiculous obstacle course races this Sunday and asked me to do it with her. I was like HELL NO knowing my luck I’ll fall off the top of an inflatable slide, break my face, and no marathon for me.

23. ambertherunner says:

You are SO CLOSE. I think taper crazies can be a good thing (sometimes). It means the race is important to you. You’ve put in the training, you just need to trust in it.

Oh, and 50 degrees and overcast is perfect running weather to me 🙂 Too bad it clashes terribly with my love for summer and sunny days anytime I’m NOT running.

I can’t even believe how close I am. Like just the other day I was still 3 months out. It’s getting real. 🙂

That is the PERFECT running weather and I totally agree! I love hot and sunny weather. I just don’t really want to be running in it.

24. Kara says:

Totally normal! When I’m nervous, I try to tell myself that I’m not NERVOUS I’m EXCITED!! Sometimes it helps…haha. You’ll crush it! Just stay positive! 🙂

OMG, I love you. My brain pretty much works the same way…a million things going on in there and you just want to spit it all out. But me? I can follow all of it 🙂 Relax, drink a little and don’t think about it….you can be prepared as much as you want, but race day is an entire different ball game, that’s the fun of it, right?!