Did anyone get the license plate number of that bus that ran me over?

I don’t know how my high-mileage friends like Michael and Laura do it.

I’m no fool. Going into this I knew marathon training would be difficult. Like probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. This suspicion has now been confirmed. Mentally I’m still feeling great, but man is my body TIRED. I’m starting to understand why people take ice baths. I’m starting to think maybe I need an ice bath.

I haven’t posted my workouts here, but I love reading it when other people do so I thought this morning I would quickly revisit what my training schedule has looked like for the past nearly 2 weeks:

• Sunday, April 27: According to my plan, I’m supposed to cross train on Sundays. I did cross train on the bike, but first I ran a 5K. (7:07 pace…I consider this my speed workout for the week)
  • Monday, April 28: 50 minutes on the bike (13 miles) + core strength exercises.
  • Tuesday, April 29: 5 mile tempo run (7:52 pace) + arms.
  • Wednesday, April 30: 10 super interesting (NOT) miles on the treadmill (7:58 pace) + 40 minutes of yoga.
  • Thursday, May 1: 5 mile hills (7:30 pace) + abs.
  • Friday, May 2: Rest.
  • Saturday, May 3: 20 awesome miles (8:32 pace).
  • Sunday, May 4: 1 hour on the bike (15 miles) + yoga stretching + lots of walking with a 34lb toddler strapped to my back.
  • Monday, May 5: 45 minutes on the bike (13 miles) + abs.
  • Tuesday, May 6: 5 mile trail run (7:32 pace) + arms & core (lots of planks!).
  • Wednesday, May 8: 8 mile tempo (7:46 pace) + 90 minutes of hot yoga.
  • Thursday, May 9: 5 miles with 3×1200 intervals worked in (7:41 pace) + abs.
  • TODAY:

tgird

Usually I have a hard time sitting still, but today I will thoroughly enjoy doing absolutely NOTHING. ALL DAY. I need this.

All hurts aside, I can’t even begin to describe how thankful I am to be training for this marathon. A couple months ago I didn’t think I would be here. My body is sore, but it’s the kind of sore that means I’ve been working hard. KT Tape is still my BFF, but my tendon feels good. I also think I might be on my way to losing another toenail, but I can’t tell for sure because I’m wearing polish right now and I’m too afraid to remove it to check. And it would look really stupid if all my toenails were painted orange except for one and that one was black. Although I am an Orioles fan.

Because it is Friday, I am linking up with my DC favorites again (that would be Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney) to talk about FIVE THINGS! Even more awesome…two of these three lovely ladies are fellow Fit Foodie Ambassadors! I can’t wait to hang out with Cynthia and Courtney (and Sue!) in a few weeks! (I just wish Mar would be there too!)

DC_linkup

Today’s topic? My Fitness Truths. This could get ugly up in here.

Fitness Truth #1: Sometimes I eat like crap.

There are days when some of you would probably be horrified at what I’m eating. Sometimes I am horrified by what I’m eating. In general I try to eat as healthily as possible, but I’m also very much an in-moderation kind of person. Every now and again I’m going to want to completely house an entire order of Greene Turtle soft pretzel sticks with cheese sauce because I just ran 20 miles dammit and I’m HANGRY.

Fitness Truth #2: I am terrible at eating breakfast.

::fist bumps Mar::

This is not to say that I don’t love breakfast food because I LOVE BREAKFAST FOOD. I would just rather have it for dinner. Ever since I started running, I started forcing myself to eat at least SOMETHING in the morning – usually Greek yogurt related – but it has been a really hard adjustment for me. I don’t like it, but I know it’s necessary so I do it.

Fitness Truth #3: I don’t know how to use a foam roller.

Okay so I’m either dumb and doing it wrong or the damn thing just doesn’t work for me. I have watched about a hundred foam rolling YouTube videos and it still has never made a bit of difference. I hate it. The silver lining is that Betty likes to carry it around the house and roll all over it so it wasn’t a complete waste of money.

Fitness Truth #4: I have no desire to ever try CrossFit.

For a second I thought maybe I did, but then…nope. I just had to sneeze.
I know people love it and I think that’s great for them, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that I would hate every single solitary second of it.

Fitness Truth #5: I’m scared of my own arms.

Picture_6.rsz_0

I don’t know what my body fat percentage is, but I assume it’s probably relatively low because as a result my arms are pretty vascular. They make me super self conscious. And then sometimes someone will point it out and then I get even MORE self conscious. I know I just need to get over it. It’s a sign that I’m doing something right and some of the muscle dudes at my gym would probably pay to switch places with me, but sometimes I get so veiny – especially after arm day or a long run – that it really freaks me out.

I’ll probably be really veiny tomorrow morning right around 8am when I finish my 12 miler. LAST DOUBLE DIGIT LONG RUN WHAT!?

Do you take rest days? How often? Do you enjoy them? Have you ever tried CrossFit? Do you love breakfast for dinner?

Whatever you have on your agenda for the weekend, I hope it’s spectacular!

66 thoughts on “Did anyone get the license plate number of that bus that ran me over?

1. Kristin says:

Hey!!! Great workouts!! Fabulous!! I don’t take rest days; although, every few weeks, I might take a day off (if I have a lot going on), but I’m usually pretty miserable (thinking about not working out).
    I do some crossfit exercises, like handstand pushups, hanging v-ups, etc, but I don’t go to a crossfit gym or anything. As far as working out goes, I enjoy weight training and body weight training. I try to mix it up so I don’t get bored. I’m very veiny, too!! Haha!
    Have a great weekend!! You look so fabulous!! XOXOXO!!! 🙂 🙂

You are like the Energizer Bunny!! 🙂 I usually have such a hard time with the rest days for that reason, but today? I went to Target haha. I am mostly a body weight trainer too, but sometimes I mix in some stuff with light weights/lots of reps. It has worked out pretty well. Veiny girls unite! ❤ Have a great weekend, lady!

• Kristin says:

I love your workouts! You’re such a hard worker, too!!
        OH MY GOSH, I love Target so much!! I was just there today and I usually enjoy shopping around Target on my rest days! Fun!
        You deserve rest!! You run/lift hard!!! I like it- Veiny girls unite!! COOL!

2. Sara says:

I always take a rest day the day after my longer runs. So ideally just once a week, but it typically ends up being two if I oversleep or something. I do enjoy them because it means more sleep! Wow I get to sleep until 6AM – SCORE!

I would be open to CrossFit if I didn’t already belong to a gym and if it was a free class at my gym. I take Body Pump only once a week and I definitely need some more strength training in my life.

Growing up Brinner was my favorite! Pancakes / French Toast for dinner? Sign Me Up! My typical breakfast of greek yogurt, banana, & cheese stick won’t cut it as an evening meal.

How do you like Body Pump? I really want to try it, but my gym doesn’t have it so I’d be looking into getting it for home. But it’s kind of $$ so I’ve been putting it off.

It’s amazing what “sleeping in” has become in our lives. Even on the days when I can actually sleep in, I still wake up at like 6:30. I have no idea how I used to sleep until noon.

• Sara says:

I really like it – its high reps so you really feel it afterwards. Years ago, before my wedding I was taking it twice a week and got pretty toned – then fell off the wagon. It’s definitely something I’m not disciplined enough to do at home. I actually like a lot of the Les Mills classes – they just don’t offer them at times I can make it.

Ahhh I’d go insane too. I’m probably about to be doing much of the same myself in a couple weeks. How long are you going to do every other day rests?

Some of the crossfitters I know are cool, but there are a couple that are really very scary. Like they are trying to get me to join a cult.

• Pandora Viltis says:

I get to go back to 5 days of running next week then my usual 6 the week after. But the mileage is reduced a lot even then. Which is probably a good thing.

Hmmm sometimes I take too many rest days. I’m still new to this whole “fitness” thing, and inertia is a B****. As for Crossfit, I’m not drinking that koolaide, especially because then they try to get you on the paleo thing and blah… Not my thing. Also, breakfast for dinner is THE.BEST. Yum.

4. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

right there w/ya on #1 and #4. yes yes yes. i love this and girl -i can’t WAIT for your marathon because you are gonna kill it! and then we get to run a 5k and EAT ALL THE FOOD! 🙂 yes yes yes!

5. prettylittlerunner says:

I take btwn 2-3 rest days a wk… sometimes it’s bc I’m exhausted sometimes my schedule just doesn’t allow for me to get out there and run… I always take the day off after a long run though…. I have to admit, I DO feel guilty when I take days off because I LEGIT do NOTHING!
    I have to really be in mood for breakfast for dinner…. like I have to be craving somersetting specific… In the last few wks we have had a few breakfast dinners just because it’s easier and some days I’m lazy;(

haha – I just like to run a lot, and for some reason even at my age it still allows me. And as long as that happens, I will keep it up!

As for your arms – aren’t people wonderful! 🙂 It is like saying ‘hey, did you know you had a huge zit’? No kidding, really?!? I love your side-by-side picture from Facebook – you look great in both, but they are different, and I know we all have things we like/dislike about ourselves, but people can be so nasty!

I know I don’t take as many rest days as I should – generally one per week. Which wasn’t enough when I was doing 50-ish miles, and certainly not enough now that I am doing 60 and even pulled 80miles across 7 days last week! So I made myself take 2 rest days this week. But I compensated by working out my wine drinking muscles 🙂

Never tried cross-fit, and really doesn’t seem like my type of thing.

Breakfast .. yum! I always love it, but am not as huge into pancakes or waffles, etc. We will have breakfast for dinner probably once or twice a month.

Your workouts are awesome – ENJOY the well-deserved rest, I was so worried with your injury, and so glad you’re rocking it now!

It was crazy…my own daughter did not know who I was when I showed her that side by side photo. Actually my first thought when I saw the picture wasn’t even how much my body had changed. It was “omg never cut your hair that short again”. And I haven’t since.

It’s very important to exercise those wine drinking muscles! Mine definitely got a workout last night! (I made sure to use my wine glass with the running distances that Helly gave me. I drank a half marathon. It’s been that kind of week.) 80 miles in a week?? INCREDIBLE! 🙂

I’m not big into pancakes either. They always seem like a really good idea and then like 10 bites in I’m kind of regretting them. I am a big omelet fan, especially with spinach and feta cheese!

Thank you so much! I was worried too. I’m so pleased with how everything is going. All the new shoes definitely helped. 😉

That might help. I actually got a stick roller today at Target and plan on using that tonight. Every one of those I’ve ever tried has worked well so maybe that’s just what I need. I really do need to learn how to prep food in advance. I’m terrible at it! (That would be another fitness truth!)

7. Hailey says:

Great training weeks! Breakfast for dinner is the best! I have absolutely no desire to try Crossfit either…I have a hard time motivating my self to do really basic strength training. I just get super bored lifting weights. I have really veiny arms too, but you arms look way better than mine. I cannot put muscle on them to save my life haha. I take rest days from running once a week. I either cross train a little bit or take it completely off every other week.

OMG me too. I do most of my strength stuff at home for that reason so I can just put on a movie or the TV and do it after my daughter goes to bed.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe I should run an extra day. I used to run more, but then I got tendonitis and it scared me off of it. I may start introducing an extra day back into my schedule, but not until I get the marathon behind me. 🙂

8. Andrea says:

I feel the same way about cross-fit! Nothing wrong with it, it’s just not for me.

I definitely take rest days. I take Fridays off and if I do a long run on Saturday I’ll just go for an easy walk and do some stretching on Sunday. Actually, most of this week was some much needed rest time. I’m looking forward to getting back to my routine next week!

You’ve had so many big races lately that you deserve that time off! I’m equal parts dreading and looking forward to my reverse taper. Most of the time I go to yoga the day after my long run. The stretching definitely helps with recovery. (I’ve missed it the past couple weeks though due to scheduling issues.)

9. Hutch says:

Foam rollers don’t work for me either except to get a good stretch in the back and shoulders. I use the quad roller (from the trigger point set) and it is amazing. I have a love/hate with it since it hurts, but then feels so good! I don’t think I’d be running still without it, due to the IT band/iliac crest hip related issues.

I’m so glad I’m not alone on this! I actually just picked up a stick at Target earlier and plan on trying that out tonight (I’ve always had good results in the past with similar things). I’m so glad the quad roller helped you!

10. irishrunnerchick says:

I take two days off from running every week and usually have a complete day off once every week/two weeks if I’m feeling tired and need some extra time in bed. I agree with you that CrossFit is just not appealing to me at all.

You should totally own your arms – they are the arms of a lady who kicks butt and takes names!

And breakfast any time of day…….

I feel like so many people I know are just so into it, so it’s nice to hear that it’s not real appealing to others as well. (I feel like the odd man out sometimes!)

Thank you so much. 🙂 I am definitely going to work on owning my veins! I am a phlebotomist’s dream!

11. northernambitions says:

Good on you. I love Friday as rest days! I don’t know why but it’s fun to rest after a week of workouts and I love doing the super tough workouts on the Saturday and Sunday so it gives me time to prepare. I have to say I’m jealous of your arms, although I totally get feeling self-conscious about stuff like that. I think women with big muscular arms are so awesome and beautiful. I’m sure you rock those guns. Have a great weekend xo

I love Friday rest days too! 🙂 Ever since I started running, my long run has always been Saturday so it just made the most sense to go hard all week, take a short break and then be fresher to go my longer distance. And thank you so much you are very sweet!

12. bpangie says:

Ahhh veiny arms. I used to joke about how smack addicts wish they could have my veins… I’ve got some pretty big ones in my calves, too. Just wish my arms would get a little bigger…

Haha yep sounds like mine. My calves aren’t bad, but I do have this one vein on my right one that probably no one else notices but me and it drives me crazy.

13. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Love your truths! Sometimes I eat like crap too and it’s ok! Breakfast for dinner is delicious, no judgement here for that one! I have not tried crossfit but feel like I should someday. I’m just worried about getting hurt and messing up my job. Rest days are my favorite, especially when I get to stay in my pjs all day… but those don’t happen very often.

Everything in moderation!!! 🙂 CrossFit is SO INTENSE. I know I don’t have to tell you this because you know way better than I do, but be careful if you ever do try it! I bet you would rock it though.

Gahhh I wish I had a whole day to spend in my PJs. That sounds amazing.

14. Meg says:

I do love breakfast for dinner!

Your arms are proof of your hard work! You’re an amazing yogi!

I’m so excited for you and your marathon. What a huge accomplishment!

15. Piper's Run says:

Rest is so important. My body was so tired the other night i took a rest day and got 9 hours of sleep (both girls slept all night too!) i felt souch better the next day. I have a 8k run tonight and 12k tomorrow!

*fist bump* and I too have no desire for CrossFit. None. Zilch. Zero. I love Body Pump though. And man, I didn’t realize Courtney was an ambassador too. Even though I’m off to visit my bestie in Chi-town I am bummed X10 I’m missing this 5K!!

17. themilereport says:

You are so speedy! I like reading other people’s weekly workouts too. Maybe you’re already loose and don’t need to foam roll? I am eternally tight, so I hurt just LOOKING at the foam roller.
    I haven’t tried Crossfit, and I really don’t have any desire to either.
    I usually take 2 rest days per week–Friday and Sunday

18. jenzenator says:

Whew! I’m tired just reading that! Great job! And your full is so close!! Yay! I take 2 rest days a week. That works best for my body. Otherwise I burn out quickly or get injured.

19. Change of Pace says:

Glad you’re resting today!! Being exhausted is all part of tapering 🙂
    Some days I think what I eat is pretty gross, too. Then I remember healthy all the time is boring!
    Can’t imagine the workout it is to carry a mini person around, especially one who is 34 pounds!
    I personally am not interested in trying Crossfit either!
    And lastly, I think your arms are beautiful and am super envious of them! If I ever meet you, please don’t be self-conscious when I stare at them and compliment you non-stop 🙂

How are you training for a marathon and not foam rolling?! What kind of foam roller do you have? Do you just not feel it? I feel like you are really missing out!
    I also dont have any desire to try crossfit. I am perfectly happy running, body pumping, and doing yoga.
    Enjoy your last double digit run!

OH, I get you on the rest days. I never feel bad about taking them, and I do each week. I’m surprised about the foam roller. Mine hurts sooooo bad when I do it, but I can tell that it really works out the kinks. I worked through 2 foam ones that I killed, and now I’m on a much sturdier Trigger Point one – hurts so good.
    I know crossfit is a good workout, but when I see them struggling in my yoga classes, I know it’s not an end all be all workout. I did those types of workouts with my strength coach in college, but I don’t really have any interest in doing it now a days (especially for the price – ouch!)
    And oh yes, I love brinner.

22. Jen says:

I feel you on the being run over by a bus thing, and I’m not training for a marathon. I feel like that would be easier than the week I had at work!
    I did CrossFit for a little over two years. I really enjoyed it. I’d go back to it if it was less expensive and I’d probably be really vocal about certain movements that I’ve come to believe are not very safe. There was a period at my gym where every coach was injured. That says a lot about certain movements within the regimen.

I’ve never tried cross fit because I have a suspicion I would hate it! I generally shoot for 2 rest days per week. And my husband and I both love brinner 🙂

24. Montana says:

Haha, I love your Fitness Truths! I’m a crappy eater too sometimes. Like McDonald’s and pizza crappy. I just really don’t have a ton of time to cook, and I also hate it so sometimes it’s easier to go out :-/ And I really don’t want to do cross fit either. I’ve heard it makes you crazy buff but I don’t like people telling me what to do while I work out. I like making my own schedule.

Anyway, awesome blog! Good luck on this marathon training and race! I don’t know if I’ll ever have a desire to run that much, but I’m hoping for a half sometime next year 🙂

Marathon training is definitely intense, but so worth it in the end when you accomplish your goal. I have NO desire for crossfit either. I love breakfast for dinner too, one of my favorites!! And I have learned to respect my rest days. I am looking forward to training for MCM this year because I will be doing a completely different type of training plan. I will take 2 days of rest per week. It definitely makes a difference for me!

26. HIIT Mom says:

I usually take 1-2 rest days, depending on my schedule and how hard I had trained throughout the week. However, if I had an easy week (meaning only 2 intense HIIT workouts), I tend to skip rest days.

Hmm, about CrossFit.. Yeah, I’d love to train like that. But my husband says he wouldn’t like the way my body would change if I’d CrossFit.

27. Michele @ A Pace of Balance says:

Haha! yeah, I’m with you. Some days my diet can be pretty horrifying! I take 1 or 2 rest days a week depending on what life has going on for me. And I actually love Crossfit, though I’m not serious about it. I will do a workout here and there if I see one I can do at my gym.

28. irenejean says:

I have a hard time, mentally, taking rest days. Even when I’m not running, I like to be doing something. That said, I do take full rest days when I know I need it. I too have no interest in crossfit. At my company, we have a crossfit inspired workout class and I love that, but it sounds a lot less intense than an actual crossfit class. Plus they’re so expensive where I live! I love breakfast for dinner!

Haha I am the same with crossfit. I wanted to be able to talk to all the cool kids about it, but that’s just not my kind of thing. And FYI I’m totally jealous of your arms! I don’t have any muscle so I should probably work on that…

30. Laura @ the gluten-free treadmill says:

My mileage kicks my butt A LOT – and your paces are epic! I can’t wait to see how you’re marathon goes (I wish I could be there to spectate)! I think I spend a lot if time being self conscious about my body, including my arms, so although I’m more conscious of mine looking “fat,” I know what you are saying! I’m really just trying to be okay with however I think it looks, but that’s easier said than done for me!

31. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

I’m going to may you self conscious but NOOOOO your arms rock!! Seriously I’d kill for your arms! I always wear sleeves or a sweater cause I hate my arms. And love your fitness truths- HILARIOUS!!

32. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! says:

You are a beast – your training recap puts me to shame.
    I’m a breakfast eater, can’t relate to #2 but I also love bfast food for dinner.

#3 – that’s me! I have never used the foam roller but am considering changing that soon.

#4 – I’ve been curious about Crossfit on and off, but lately I’m full-up on fitness and can’t add another thing.