So many feels.

So I’ve been thinking.

Yes…that’s what that burning smell is.

Anyway, I know I’ve mentioned it a few times already, but recently I’ve been dabbling in the whole concept of running by my feels.

tumblr_mohaq3amnc1s4xdz1o1_500

Don’t get me wrong; I love my Garmin a lot. I love uploading my workouts and seeing all the numbers and comparing them to other runs to see if I’m improving. It has been an endlessly helpful training tool.

What I don’t love is the crushing anxiety the watch was making me feel sometimes while I’m out on a run. I blame watch checking at least a little for the fact that the wheels came crashing off during my 15 miler. I was already sick and knowing how fast I was going and how far I had left to go made me feel really claustrophobic. I think we all know what happened next.

Unknown

After that I started running without looking at my pace. Rather than be a slave to technology, I would go out at a pace that felt good to me and adjust it as I went. So far this has worked out really well. I did not check my watch at all during my past two races and I PRed in both of them. A little bit of that might have been my fast new shoes, but I definitely think the fact that I was more relaxed played a big part. Also my long runs since the failboat 15 miler have been so much more consistent and enjoyable when I just find a comfortable place and hang out there rather than obsess over time.

So all that said…I’m actually thinking of running Bob Potts WITHOUT MY GARMIN.

what.gif

Without. My. Garmin.

Here’s why:

• I’m pretty sure that at some point along the course there will be some kind of marker or human informing me of how far I’ve gone. At the very least I’ll know when I make it to 13.1 miles because that’s when they will tell me to turn around. Unlike my 2 year old, I’m a pretty good listener.
  • I do have a super-top-secret time goal that I’m not going to share because I feel like I’ll jinx it if I do. I’m superstitious like that. Anyway, I know in general how hard I’m going to have to push to reach that goal. The watch probably won’t help much with that; conversely I’m thinking it’s more likely to make me go out too fast/panic/Farrah ugly cry on the side of the trail.
  • There will be a big ass clock at the finish line. Unless my eyes are bleeding when I cross it – which I suppose is not entirely out of the question – I’ll probably know what happened.
  • I could wear it and just try to not look at it, but why tempt fate? And why wear a big, sweaty bracelet if I don’t absolutely have to? This area can really heat up in late May and even though our start time is 6am I’m betting it will be pretty warm by the time I finish. The less stuff attached to my body the better.

Really the only solid argument I have for wanting to wear the watch is that I’ll be able to get the data off it later and even that isn’t guaranteed. I had a low battery warning at the end of my run on Saturday and that was only 20 miles.

Hahaha “only 20 miles”.

I feel like this is the most obnoxious first world problem, but I’m really torn on what to do. Like it has completely taken over my brain in the past 24 hours. Is this the taper crazies already? I thought I had more time before those started.

What would YOU do? Do you run with a GPS watch? Do you absolutely have to have it for races? Are you superstitious about telling people your race goals?

Happy Tuesday, everyone! We are in store for some beautiful weather today and I’m looking forward to a lovely little 5 mile trail run! What’s on your agenda for today?

76 thoughts on “So many feels.

1. Olive To Run (@Olivetorun) says:

I run with my garmin most days but sometimes I run without it… I think it’s good to have some relaxed runs mixed in with my training runs.
    As for races- it doesn’t matter to me. I have it most races but I don’t really look at it enough to say I NEED it.

I totally agree with you! I definitely wasn’t relaxed enough for way too long and was going out really hard pretty much every single time. After my injury is when I started to try and slow down/back off a little bit because I didn’t want to run myself into the ground again and this has helped so much with that too.

2. hellyontherun says:

I run with my watch the majority of times. I did however, PR in a 5k on a rainy day when it didn’t catch signal and I actually liked not having it to obsessively look at. I ran by feel and did way better than expected. I say go for it! (You’re going to do amazingly awesome with or without it!)

Isn’t it great?? It really does take a lot of the pressure off! I always do better than I think too and on top of being more relaxed, it’s nice to know that we can trust ourselves to find a good pace!

3. irenejean says:

I did some long runs for my half without looking at my garmin (but still wearing it), and found them to be really enjoyable! I also feel more relaxed when I’m not worrying about my pace during a run. think I would consider racing without one, I’d be really annoyed to wear one during a marathon just to have it die on me within a few miles of the finish!

I’m so glad I’m not alone in feeling this way! That’s exactly what I’m thinking about the whole thing just shutting down on me. I would be SO irritated! And it was close enough the other day that it seems like it would be a very real possibility.

• Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i always worry about that but my garmin made it through my 26.2 trail race (barely, but it made it) and that took me FOREVER…it looked like it might die for the last 3 miles but made it. i like knowing my pace when im running but that’s also because i’m very bad at realizing my pace w/out seeing numbers. when i think i’m running slow, i’m usually not and vice versa. i say go for it!

4. Laura @ the gluten-free treadmill says:

So, I have mixed feelings here. Part of me is like YES!!! Do it girl, because I know about the pressure of hitting paces (that you are going to hit because you are in shape like woah), but then I remember my ultra without any idea of where I was in the race and how mentally hard that was for me. However, I think I’m comparing apples to oranges here, since there are normally mile markers at least every two miles at road races, so you’d always know where you were. So think, try it on a run and if the anxiety isn’t too bad (of knowing on how much you’ve done and how much you have left, then you should do it)!

Yeah I’m pretty sure that there isn’t going to be any way for me to get lost. For sure if there was I would wear the watch without even a second thought! The marathon is on a rail trail that only goes one way. I like your idea of going out without it at all and seeing if that makes me even more anxious though. I am so used to how it feels on my wrist that that alone might throw me off even harder!

I don’t have a GPS watch, and so far it’s worked out pretty well. I also run by “feel.” Even on my long runs, I just turn my Strava app on on my phone, stick it in my pocket, and don’t look at it again until I’m done. For the most part, I keep a pretty consistent pace naturally. I’ve been thinking about getting a Garmin, but I’m afraid of what you’re talking about–anxiety and guilt for not going as fast as I’m “supposed to” or being overwhelmed by how many miles I have left. You should give it a try for Bob Potts. That way at least you’ll know if it works better for you or not!

Yep that’s exactly it. I never thought about those things before I bought it either and for a long time it didn’t bother me at all. I’ve been making a solid effort to go out much slower than I used to in preparation for the marathon though and even with that knowledge I would beat myself up about my pace. I’m so glad that other people agree they might feel the same way!

6. northernambitions says:

I have never been superstitious about race goals but now I might be haha I like this post, I don’t run with a garmin (but I really want one) but sometimes, it’s nice to run on trails and just feel good doing it.

Haha I treat them like birthday wishes. It’s probably a little weird, but whatever. 🙂 I’m going to head out for a trail run just like that today! It’s so beautiful out that I’m just going to enjoy being outside no matter how fast I’m going!

7. Charlotte says:

Don’t tell me those things! I just bought a Garmin FR 220 with HRM hahaha I did hide the pace because I kept obsessing with it. That’s not a bad thing because I am slow and need to be nudged! haha I replaced the pace on the first screen with heart rate and I do go by that. Great post! Good luck to you.

Thanks, friend! Haha I’m so sorry! Mine doesn’t have a heart rate monitor so I don’t think I have any other options of things to look at. If I had one like yours I’d probably wear it all the time. 🙂

8. themilereport says:

I wear my garmin on almost every run (more for curiosity than competition with myself), but I’ve actually never raced with it. I have this weird fear that it will just stop working/run out or battery/lose satellite during the race, so I have always worn my trusty non-fancy sports watch during races. I like to at least have a rough estimate on how long I’ve been running. But I’m actually having the OPPOSITE debate with myself and am considering running my marathon with my garmin for the first time. I would say try it without your garmin!! seems like you feel&run better without the pressure of it!

You are right in that I would like to have some kind of rough idea. I have no idea how they are going to have the course marked. When I run around my neighborhood, I map it first so I always have a general idea of how far I’ve gone even without looking, but up in York I will have no idea. Hmmm that’s something I didn’t even think about.

9. Jason says:

I never run with a GPS watch (and I never trust race mile markers unless it’s in a major race like NYC, Boston). I’m also superstitious about race goals – they’re mostly top secret 🙂

10. Amy says:

My last race I ran with the watch but changed the screen options so distance was the only thing I saw. I still wanted to see mile times, so I left the split alert on. That allowed me to check in without going nuts over pace. I also set it so the second screen showed the time in addition to distance, knowing how close I was to my time goal was a good motivator in the last few miles.

OH!!! WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS!? I think I can do that with mine too! It just so happens that the instruction manual is sitting right here. This is what I’m leaning toward now. Thank you SO much!

• Amy says:

Haha..glad to help. This definitely worked as a happy medium for me. I love having all the data after and knowing where I am (distance wise), even having the mile splits was good, but obsessively checking the pace was just not working out.

11. kyoung1986 says:

Before I got my GPS watch, I just used my phone. Which is pretty shotty, sometimes it’d be pretty spot on, others it would be pretty far off. Ever since I got my watch though, I feel a little too reliant on it and I wish that I wasn’t. Plenty of people ran for a really long time without ever knowing what they were doing on the course, perhaps I should start running without technology.

That’s what I was thinking too. The technology is nice to have, but people have been running without it since the beginning of time. I don’t NEED to have it. It has just become sort of a part of my running uniform that I’ve gotten way too attached to.

• kyoung1986 says:

Yep! That’s how I feel too. I find myself looking at it way too often. One time I’d like to run without knowing my pace or how far I went. Just do it because I WANNA run, not because I’m trying to keep a certain pace or go a certain distance. Listen to my body and do what it tells me!

12. Kristin says:

Love that girl from Mean Girls!! So funny!
    Sometimes I run with my GPS watch but don’t look at it until the end (because I like my data so I can download and analyze it later). I feel like my body naturally negative splits so I don’t have to look at my watch all that much, but it’s definitely my security blanket!

I WISH my body would naturally negative split! 🙂 It’s always such a pleasant surprise when it does! My watch is definitely my security blanket though and I love seeing those numbers afterward!

13. samantha couch says:

i have NO advice because i, too, tossed this around before my half marathon a few weeks ago, but caved and didn’t do it. i’m thinking of starting small – i have a 5k saturday and i’m going to go for it. i have six more halfs (halves?) and i’m definitely going to go without it for at least one of them. i put a lot of pressure on myself to hit a certain time, and whether or not i’m keeping up, and blah blah blah and i would love to know if i’d do better without it. i can’t believe your FULL MARATHON is almost here. you are my hero.

You have SIX HALFS coming up!? That’s awesome! Maybe I should start a little smaller when it comes to this. Or maybe I should do it for like my second marathon or something. I don’t know. Thankfully I have a couple weeks to figure it out. Thank you, friend!

• samantha couch says:

yes! i just finished the derby half here in louisville, then i have the chicago, dayton, urban bourbon, indianapolis, disney wine and dine…and one more, i can’t remember right now! all part of the 14 in 14 ordeal. i can’t wait for your big marathon report. you are going to rock it out, fo’ sho.

After a 1.5-year addiction, this winter I learned to ditch my GPS watch.

Actually that isn’t true – on my trail marathon last summer there was only sporadic GPS signal and I had never learned to run without it, and went out way too fast and paid for it later on. Of course that marathon was good about making me pay constantly, but I would have been SO much better off had I learned about ‘self-pacing’ – running by feel.

When I was out on my 15.5 miler on Saturday, I had the clock displaying on my Garmin rather than the data – this has become a habit for me – and my only check-ins were on the mile beeps. That helped me work to understand where I was at … and I was in really good coordination between what I THOUGHT I was doing and what I actually was.

At this point I think I could do a marathon without a GPS .. but I probably would still have it on just to hear it chirp every mile 🙂

Hmmmm this is a really good idea too. It might be nice to keep myself in check with the beeps. I’m just so used to running on familiar turf and having a general idea of where I’m going so I keep the sounds turned off because I don’t need them. But up there I have no idea how the course will be marked and I’m running in an unfamiliar area. It’s going to be such a different experience that maybe I shouldn’t mess with it TOO much.

15. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs says:

I used to be a huge slave to my Garmin, it ws a HUGE problem. I didn’t listen to my body AT ALL and HAD to run at the pace I was told to.

Last summer I moved over to RunKeeper, I only know my pace/distance when it tells me and I find I’ve learned to listen to my body FAR better. I love that it records the data for me, but I don’t always have to know about it until I’m finished.

Maybe I should try out Runkeeper. I ran with Map My Run a couple times and found that it was wildly inaccurate so that kind of scared me off from phone apps. But I always run with my phone (for safety reasons) so it would be convenient if I was using something like that. Thank you so much!

16. Andrea says:

I’ve only had my Garmin for about a year and ran for several years without it. I’ve actually found that it motivates me and helps me run faster. Maybe you could wear it and only look at it for mile splits? That would give you a nice idea of how you are pacing without constantly looking at it. If your marathon has pacers you could also forgo the watch and run with a pace group. It’s nice to let someone else worry about setting the pace!

You also have a very good point and since it’s a small race, I’m not entirely sure that there will be pace groups. I hope there is one, but I’m not going to count on it. Maybe I should check because that might make or break my decision.

I think I’m most concerned with not having it after mile 20. Maybe that’s just because that’s as far as I’ve run so anything beyond that is unknown but I also feel like it might help me push a little at the end. UGH this is HARD!

17. ambertherunner says:

I’m absolutely superstitious about telling people my time goals!
    As for your watch dilemma, I’m not much help. I admire your ability to run your last several long runs without looking at your watch, and for PRing without staring at your watch in the last 2 races. I think your reasons for running the marathon sans watch are great, and I want to say go for it! But I’ve never done it myself because I’m a slave to my watch, so I can’t speak from experience…

Thank you! I just had to do something because I was driving myself crazy with looking at it. I’m glad I posted about it though because now at least I have some good ideas and a couple more weeks to decide. 🙂

18. Meg says:

So I have an idea. If you want this Marathon in all of your Garmin stats maybe you could take it, start it, and then tuck it away in your SPIbelt (that I assume you’ll be wearing). That way it will running and tracking and all that jazz, but it’ll be in a place where you cannot obsessively check it. I am a watch checker so I totally get it. But I don’t know… just an idea.

I love this idea and I wish it would fit! But it won’t. I may end up getting a bigger belt before the race though because I need a way to carry more fuel so in that case I may do that or loop it around the belt and keep it toward my back so I won’t be tempted to check it.

19. Corinne says:

I say take the Garmin, but don’t put it on your wrist. Put in your SPIbelt. Put it on your ankle. Put it around your ponytail. Personally, I would want to be able to have those stats at the end 🙂 I try not to tell people my goal times either. It’s always jinxed me in the past, so definitely keep that yourself until after!

Hehehe I love the ponytail idea. I wish it would fit around my ankle! I’m starting to lean toward hooking it around my belt, but I don’t know how annoying that would be.

• Corinne says:

What about using a zip tie for around your ankle? I bet you’ll want more stats than what the chip will tell you anyway!

20. runningsouthern says:

I always run better without my watch, but like to take it with me for the data. I use to to keep up with my shoe mileage electronically, which is the big thing.

I always race with it. I have ran a 5k and 10k without it, both of which had no distance markers and I had no clue how much farther I had to go. Is there a way to turn the time off of your watch and only see the distance?

I think there probably is one. I haven’t messed with the settings enough in the past year to know for sure, but I have the manual so I’m going to check that out tonight. That’s starting to look like a better option because I really don’t know how this course is going to be marked and I’ve never run it before.

21. runcolbyrun says:

Ditch it. Or put it on. Start it. And DO NOT LOOK AT IT. My best runs, my very best, have been when I have forgotten to push the damn button or experienced some sort of system failure. (I’m beginning to think I am prone to system failures!) I am the type that can become obsessed with numbers (which is also why I don’t have a scale. Screw numbers.) Besides, this way you’ll just run with your heart. And that’s the key.

Oh. Don’t you DARE breathe a word of your super top secret goal. Shhh. That’s yours and yours alone. You’re going to have such a fantastic race Salt. I just know it. 🙂

22. SweatandStilettos says:

I have the same issue when running with it and without. I think I’ve just created an addiction for myself. I think you should try it without or maybe wear it in a fuel belt so you’ll have the data. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Thank you so much! I’m definitely starting to learn toward carrying it with me not on my wrist. And hopefully the battery won’t die so I’ll still get all my data. 🙂

23. Sarah says:

I don’t have a garmin – but I use runkeeper. I like it because its on my phone and I can’t just pull it out and check it all the time. I would flip out if my run wasn’t logged in it… mostly because every single run I have ever done is in that thang.

I vote wear it, maybe strap it to the back of your belt or something so you can’t easily look at it… I would just hate for you to finish and regret not having the run logged with your other ones!

I like how you think and that is exactly what I’m starting to think I should do. At the very least as a couple people have pointed out, I might like to be able to hear it beep for my mileage since it’s an unfamiliar course. I just need to put it somewhere where I won’t be tempted to look at it!

Ahh I couldn’t imagine running without it! Good for you if you can. After one of my marathons I lost my data and I was devastated. I do believe running off feel is awesome, I just don’t know if I could do it.

25. Piper's Run says:

Go for it, run with out it. Unless you want that “farthest run to date” message 😉

I recently turned off the “tweet-dull-dee” sound / notification that I was “ahead of pace”, behind pace and on pace. At first I didn’t like it but couldn’t change it because I was running (and PR’d my 10k last week). Anyway…I’m going to try it for another week and see if I like it and maybe even turn the sound off completely – maybe.

I feel a little superstitious about telling people my running goals but am also thinking of publishing my goals the day of my next race – when the race is scheduled…then it’s there for people to read and hopefully for me to achieve! (and blog about later).

You’re going to rock it anyway. No GPS.

Thanks, lady! (AND CONGRATS ON THAT AWESOME PR!) I have actually never used the beeps and I’m wondering if I should turn them on and see if I like it! One of the first things I always do when I buy a new piece of technology is turn all the sounds off. 🙂

I will be interested to see how that works out! I’ve never posted a goal here, but if it works for you I might be brave enough to try it!

26. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

I was just thinking about this today! I went for a run and got completely pysched out because i forgot to start my watch! I had no idea how far I had gone and didn’t know what to do. I felt like a computer malfunctioning which is pathetic. I really need to get away from my watch and relax! Who knows it may help me run faster!

I am usually very quiet about my race goals. I don’t want to jinx and I don’t want to be embarassed if I don’t do what I was expecting. Happy Tuesday!

I am so glad to hear that I’m not the only person with the watch dependence issue! Definitely try just relaxing and going out at that comfortable pace. It definitely helps me! Happy Tuesday to you too, lovely friend!

YOU DAREDEVIL YOU. I often run sans garmin until the race, and then run the race with the garm because it helps me just to track things, make sure that I’m not pushing so hard. This was crucial in my marathon, and then it helped me push it in the end. But I would say that I ran it largely by feels, with some help. One of the best decisions I made was halfway through to put it on my ID belt, so I wasn’t looking at it, and then to transfer it to my wrist around mile 20.
    I say go by feels, if you think that the garmin will make you freak. But I also think that if you think knowing where you actually are instantly, rather than spending all of your (exhausted, drunk on running) energy figuring out where you are, what the time on the clock says vs. when you started and therefore what your time actually is, and how all of that relates to splits…. well then, wear the damn watch and save yourself the trouble.
    But seriously, do what you think will put your mind at ease, or bring it just in case and put it where you can’t see it.

The race is really small so whatever the clock says is going to be my actual time so at least I won’t have to worry about that aspect of it. But I am leaning toward carrying it with me, but either not looking at it or not wearing it on my wrist. Since I haven’t run anything past 20, I don’t know what’s going to happen to me mentally in those last 6 miles and having the watch might be the push I need at that point. And I’d rather have it with me if I need it then not have it and be kicking my own ass later!

I am seriously going rogue with this one.

I wear my gps, but I try to never look at it. I try to run on feel. That said, during a marathon, you have a lot of time to think. Checking my watch ‘occasionally’ gave me something to think about how I was feeling. Also, keep in mind that the race clock you’ll see starts with the first corral. Unless you are at the start line at the beginning, the time is going to look slower than what you’ve actually ran when you pass the ‘official’ clocks. Don’t let it freak you!

That’s the thing about this crazy race: it’s super small. I think only like 500 people run it. No corrals. My clock time is going to be my time. You have a VERY good point though. I might like to be able to judge my feels by checking my time every now and again. Why is this the hardest decision I’ve ever made!?

obvi I’ve never run a marathon (yet!) but I didn’t even own a Garmin until last fall and that was to help me in marathon training. and. true story – I forgot to put it on for my 5K Saturday but did have MapMyRun on just to get my splits later (you know, blogging and all) but it wasn’t voice activated. It’s not a scary thought. I remember a time back in the day (cough 4 years ago cough) when I would run loops and estimate mileage based on a map for crying out loud. All that said, you good babe, you good. 😉

30. Change of Pace says:

I wish I could chant at you to ditch the watch! You know you run better by feel! For me the biggest thing is the pressure and the negativity that can rear up if you race with it and a couple miles are slower than expected, especially at the beginning.
    With that being said, I do wear mine for most races. I just try not to be a slave to it 🙂

31. kelby of newenglandoutlook says:

I’m definitely superstitious about telling anyone my race goals. Just finishing is an accomplishment, but a time is so much more personal, to me at least! I bet you go faster than you even expect without your Garmin!

So first of all, I’m sorry I’ve been so MIA during my move and I’m about to hardcore catch up on your blog so get excited for my comments all over your old posts! Second, I’m in love with the fact that you chose the Farrah ugly cry face 🙂 My big fear during my wedding was that I was going to Kim Kardashian ugly cry all over the place. That one might be even worse than Farrah!

Onto the real subject here though! I actually recently blogged about the exact same thing (search my blog for the Try New Things Tuesday I did where I ran “naked”) and I definitely think that running without a watch is a good thing. I felt better throughout my race, didn’t make myself sick or slow down because I was disappointed in my time like I’ve done in almost every other race in the last mile, and ran based on how I felt. BUT I spent the first half of my race constantly worrying about my pace. While I know running based on how we feel is a good thing, I think I was so scared of going out too fast and then burning out later. I don’t think I did that, but then again I don’t have my mile splits to analyze 🙂 I think with a long run the consequences of starting out too fast might be bigger, but I also think that it might help you start off strong and be able to keep up that pace the whole time. During the Love Run Half I didn’t look at my watch for the first 4 miles and was shocked by how fast I was going and was able to maintain that speed throughout the race, so maybe it’s not so bad! I say go for it, but be careful about going out too fast.

33. elizabeth schulenberg says:

I’m nowhere near the same level, but already feel the watch as being a negative in some ways. I know long runs should be slow and steady, but there is always this little tick that has to look when I hear the beep. I do often use it when I leave the house and just “run”. I know I have to get 6 miles in but have no course, so for those, it is necessary. Also, I am such a newb, I do think the benefit outweighs the evil for now.

ALL of that being said. The Cincy Flying Pig has a giant clock and giant flag at every single mile.

34. irishrunnerchick says:

I run with my Garmin but I don’t usually look at it. I like hearing the beep after I’ve finished my miles and occasionally I will check out my pace. I usually start a run with a target (not usually a time) – easy, fast, pukey-fast and I’ve gotten so much better at estimating my actual pace.

35. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Do what you’ll feel most comfortable doing! If it’s going to freak you out not knowing your pace, wear the watch. If it will freak you out knowing your pace, don’t wear it! If it were me, I would wear the watch- but that’s because it’s me and I need to know how fast I’m going. I’m still not good about knowing when to push or hold back.

36. she's going the distance says:

absolutely for races to check in though, i’m definitely getting better at not being a slave to the watch—sometimes it helps me slow down though. I tend to go out fast no matter what, so i like having it to chill out. But i understand not wanting to be anxious or anything too.. I can’t wait for you to do the marathon–do it for me and my ankle!!

37. Pandora Viltis says:

I debated not looking at my watch during my last marathon, but I was worried that the race day adrenaline would make me take the first few miles too fast on “feel”. On the other hand, when I have no hard time goal and am just running for fun, I always have a fantastic run/race. I think looking too much does cause me a lot of anxiety. But I’m still too green a runner to have a solid handle on running by feel (it doesn’t help that because I’m still only 15 months in as a runner, I still am exponentially getting faster & what feels easy is a moving target — tough problem, right? 😛 )

Since it’s your first marathon, I think brining the garmin and tucking it away (or I suppose you could put a piece of masking tape over the face or something) could be a good idea.

I am so addicted to my GPS watch. I like the theory of going naked, but not sure I have it in me…not sure I’m there yet!

39. nolongernakedrunning says:

As I liked having the after data but didn’t want the actual during data of my garmin I took to taping over the face with athletic tape. You can’t see any feedback that way (remember to turn off the beeps) but can still hit start and stop and when you get home upload and examine the results 🙂