I DID IT!!!

The most difficult part of my entire marathon training is OVER. This is the haggard, happy face of someone who just checked their longest long run off the to-do list:

20 mile selfie

I don’t always take post-long run selfies, but when I do it’s because I JUST RAN 20 FRACKING MILES.

Also a big THANK YOU to my brilliant friend over at Maybe Marathoner for her epic headphone recommendation. These Yurbuds are THE BEST. They fit perfectly and I didn’t have to mess with them once during my run.

From here on out, it is all downhill. The longest run I have left is only 12 miles. At some point in the past couple months, I’ve become the kind of person that refers to a 12 mile run as “only 12 miles”. Who the hell am I!? 12 miles used to seem like a long car ride.

Anyway, Saturday morning. 5am. My new BFFs Jim {Gaffigan}, Mitch {Hedberg}, and I headed out for the much anticipated and sweated over 20 miler. The weather couldn’t have been better: low 50’s and no wind for the entire thing. This is going to be a short post today because I really don’t have any interesting stories to tell about it; it was an uneventful, enjoyable run. Like with my last really long run, I ignored my watch and went with a pace that felt comfortable to me. I was dressed appropriately and my fuel plan went well. I felt fantastic until around mile 13 when the lower half of my body started to hurt, but my muscles got a second wind pretty shortly after that and I didn’t have to fight with any real discomfort again until mile 19.5. And at that point it was mile 19.5 and I could see my house so I could have crawled the rest of the way if I had to. (I didn’t have to.)

Then the big reveal. I have really been enjoying not looking at my pace because I run so more relaxed and I feel like it has been such a pleasant surprise every single time.

20 miler

tumblr_inline_n0fzsuyG7s1rplqo3

If my legs hadn’t pretty much completely shut down, I would have done a happy dance.

That 20 miler plus my other runs brought my weekly total to just over 43 miles. My biggest week ever! I celebrated for the rest of the weekend by eating ALL THE CARBS IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

The bread aisle at your local supermarket looks like people raided it for an upcoming snowstorm?

Nope. Salt was there.

For the next three weeks, my running schedule looks like a delicious cake walk. (Yes, I had cake this weekend too.) In fact, I think my next biggest challenge is going to be the taper. ADVICE WELCOME PLEASE!

I hope you all had a spectacular weekend!

Did you run or race this weekend? I want to hear all about it! Also I’m serious about taper advice…I am forecasting a 100% chance of taper crazies over here. Any tips you could give me would be great!

99 thoughts on “I DID IT!!!

1. onedreamymess says:

Nice job! What a great feeling to have completed your 20 mile run 🙂 and I hear you on the carbs. I completed my half marathon Saturday and went straight to the bar for 3 beers hahaha

2. HIIT Mom says:

Congratulations! Great job! You make it sound so easy! I am not a runner (yet), but I do wish to start running this summer. I have to gather all my motivation though, because I don’t like to start something and then dropping it off. Any tips for me? 🙂

Thank you so much! I would probably start with a program like Couch to 5 or 10K. I know so many people that have had so much success with those! Also one thing that I always like to tell people that are just starting out is never judge a run by the first mile. The first mile tends to suck no matter how long you’ve been doing it. You just get stronger and deal with it better over time. 🙂 I’m so excited for you! Good luck and I can’t wait to follow your running journey!

• HIIT Mom says:

Thank you so much for all the advice! I run 1 mile pretty easily, but the trouble is that I get bored (this is one reason why I prefer HIIT workouts – I don’t have time to think, as I am sooo trying to catch my breath!). I plan to run onto forest tracks, so won’t have to bare the summer heat so much. 🙂

Oh that would be beautiful and I’m jealous that you have access to stuff like that! We do have a trail here, but it gets SO HUMID. I have to stick to early morning runs in the summertime and there isn’t any light out there.

3. Sara says:

Get it gurl! I’m glad it went well for you. Which Jim Gaffigan did you listen to? I took your advice a few weeks ago and downloaded a couple Jim G. albums. You’re marathon is going to be a cake walk. YOU’RE RUNNING A MARATHON!

Yes – I ran. It was my first officially timed 5K (Go Frederick Running Festival!). I felt a little weird since it was the end of the day. I usually run in the mornings so I was a little off my game in my head, but I came in under 40 which was my goal. And Charlotte ran the kids fun run (as you saw on Facebook) and I’m totally jealous of her medal.

King Baby. I was literally laughing so hard at one point that I almost fell off the curb. Luckily it was still dark out so no one saw.

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! You did GREAT! You are kicking so much butt and I know your 10K is going to be awesome. This September I hope they do the NFL run again because we could do the 5K and the kids fun run is so much fun. Charlotte and Betty could win themselves some more medals. 🙂

4. runcolbyrun says:

You did! You did! And did so brilliantly!! Such a relief, right? I will save you the horror of my 20 miler and only say it required a trip to the ER, 3 stitches, Dermabond and a big fat shiner. True. Story. I am THRILLED that yours went much better than mine. 🙂 Up next for you: Taper Madness. Gah. It’s my least favorite part of marathon training.

• runcolbyrun says:

Thank you Mama Salt. If I lost my teeth, I would have been inconsolable. If this disaster doesn’t heal well, I’ll head to the plastic surgeon for a little refresher. I got a whole lotta look goin’ on! To this Saturday’s Do Over Long Run!

5. MaybeMarathoner says:

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you…I will never forget my first 20-miler and the top-of-the-world feeling I had at the end. You are ready to take on the world! And I’m super glad that my post helped…just in time, right? Those Focus Yurbuds are the best..my ears feel a little sore when I take them out, but they don’t budge during my runs and I don’t even notice that they’re in. Happy I could help and wish I had good taper advice, but I don’t, except that I would recommend a good sports massage to loosen up those muscles and prevent adhesions from forming.

I’m still riding the crazy 20 miler high. 🙂 And yes your timing could not have been more perfect. I went to Target pretty much right after I read your post and got them. I always thought that having the kind that hooked over my ear would be annoying, but I really can’t feel them at all either!

I’m going to call my massage place today. I would never turn down that kind of excellent advice! Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!! I made sure to tell everyone I saw all weekend about my run so that they wouldn’t be horrified by all the food I kept shoving in my face. 🙂

Thank you, friend! I feel pretty good about it, but then I hear all the stories about what happens after mile 20. Hopefully I can hold it together. 🙂

• Pandora Viltis says:

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, despite having a disappointing race yesterday, my final 6.2 was easier than the middle miles. You can get a second wind even when (in my case bad stomach) other issues get in the way.

I have a feeling you’re going to exceed your expectations.

I really really really hope that’s the case for me. I was kind of shocked that my legs recovered as well as they did when I was 13 miles in! You are seriously a rock star for sticking it out the way you did in your race. Running sick sucks and especially if it’s stomach issues/nausea.

6. Jason says:

Nice job! Hang in there with the taper – it’s not fun, but you have to believe in all of the work that you’ve put in up to this point!

Thanks, Jason! I just have the hardest time sitting still! It’s going to be weird going for a 2 mile run. And then even weirder completely resting for two days straight. Running usually is what keeps me sane!

7. prettylittlerunner says:

Nice Run Girl! You totally got this marathon! I will be running a 20 miler this weekend, I’m already in freak out mode:(
    I DID race… and while I did PR I’m still a little disappointed…. But it’s good to have goals bc that’s what keeps us crazy runners going….

If you get any good taper advice please send it my way! lord knows I need it too!!!!

Thank you so much! Gosh I hope so. I need to stop overthinking it so much. I figure if I can just relax and go out there the same way I’ve done my past two really long runs maybe I’ll be okay. You are going to do so great this weekend!! And I’m sorry things didn’t work out the best in your race, but you had such an awesome PR! (You are going to be sub 1:30 so soon. Probably your next race. You’ve got this all day!)

8. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs says:

Good for you, that’s amazing!!
    I am not a fan of the taper, I only do a 10-day taper because they tend to make me unreasonably miserable 🙂 Ha! My biggest piece of advice is don’t get stuck in your own head. You’ve done the training, and you’re well prepared!

Thank you so much! I just need to keep telling myself that. After all there’s really nothing else I can do at this point besides finish out my schedule. I’ve prepared the best I could and I’ll just have to hope it’s enough! 🙂

Great job Lauren! Loved seeing it on FB! It is funny how things change – what once seemed insurmountable is now commonplace. I remember before running my first marathon thinking I didn’t even like to DRIVE that far!

I did 15.5 on Saturday and 12.75 mega-hills on Sunday … great weekend!

As for tapering craziness … yeah, the advice is it WILL happen! 😀 Think about it – you go from being hangry from so much exercise to eating when not hungry and exercising less … it tweaks our sense of proportion! But you can do it!

That’s exactly the point where I am right now! 26.2 miles in a car would put me closer to DC! What!? I’m supposed to run that far!?

You had some GREAT runs this weekend! (And so cool that you got to run in Troy too!) I already warned my husband about the taper. Luckily I will have B to keep me a little more focused. If not for her, I’d probably completely lose my mind!

10. hbarnstein says:

I’m so glad it went so well!! I just set up my training plan for the Chicago marathon…I h ave two 20m on it and I am SO nervous already and they’re not for months, lol!

Thank you so much!! I felt that exact same way when I started planning for this one. I really wanted to be able to get in 2 20’s, but with the tendonitis I just couldn’t make it happen. This past week I was a MESS worrying about it! But then I just had to remind myself that I am my own biggest competition and that helped me relax. You are going to do so great with your training!!

11. Andrea says:

Great job! Hopefully this run gives you both the physical endurance and more importantly the mental confidence that you need for your race. I did my third and final half marathon of the season on Saturday. I’m looking forward to a bit of time off now!

Thanks! They are THE BEST. I had another pair that I actually really hated because they were WAY too big for my ears and fell out every 5 seconds. Back when they were given to me, I didn’t realize they had ones specifically for women. These work out MUCH better for me. (I have tiny ears.)

Awesome!!! Way to go! I ran 10 miles, and was wondering how your run was going.
    My advice in the taper is to make sure to eat lots of healthy foods and drinks. Also, do some cross training to help fight the crazies. Again, congrats!

Haha I just read your post! That’s so cool! I think about what my blogging run buddies are doing all the time when I’m out there. It really helps me get through tough spots sometimes! I definitely plan to spend some time on the bike. That helped me from going completely insane when I was injured so I figure it will help again this time around. Oh and lots of yoga!

Thank you so much, friend!

Congratufreakinglations! I’m so glad that it went well and that you would have happy danced had you had it in you still. Next time, and there better be photographic evidence 😀 You better have had Betty massage your legs for you 😀

THANK YOU!!!!! Haha actually we had her gymnastics class right after which meant that I had to go run around some more. I was hobbling around like a hot mess. I promise I will do a post-marathon happy dance and have my husband record it for posterity! (I’ll at least do the robot since that doesn’t require much movement.)

Thank you thank you! I definitely recommend them. Just if you have little ears like I do, make sure you check out the ones that are women specific. I have another pair too that isn’t and I think they are for giant man ears. 🙂

14. Cat says:

Congratulations! You kicked butt and your time is amazing! You’re going to do amazingly in your marathon!

I ran my second marathon yesterday and can’t wait to sign up for the next one! It hurts, but it’s addictive! Best taper advice I can give is to try to rest and relax as much as you can, while keeping busy. I read a lot, and baked a lot during my taper!

Thank you so so so much! I can’t believe that it’s almost here!
      That is such excellent taper advice too. Thank you for that. Especially the part about baking. My husband and daughter will be extra stoked if I spend some time doing that! 🙂

• Cat says:

That’s great–everyone wins! Baking/cooking is like therapy to me, so I was thrilled to have extra time to do it!

15. Change of Pace says:

Fantastic pace!! And you also look wonderful post-2o miler- an even more impressive feat! I’m so happy it went well!
    Now you can enjoy a much-deserved taper!
    My advice for taper: don’t read into things too much (niggles, feeling out of shape, etc.), increase your salt intake slightly as the race gets closer, and think of taper as a reward for all the training instead of a hard punishment 🙂
    Haha- isn’t it warped when you think of long distances as short?!
    Still no running for me, but I did have a good trainer ride. And then I felt sick so I basically slept for 24 hours!

Thank you so much for the awesome advice! I am definitely finding an extra silver lining in the fact that my leg is going to get some well deserved rest first. It is SO crazy how warped my perception is now! Hooray for good rides! I’m so sorry you were feeling sick and I hope you are much better today!

Wow, congrats on an amazing run. You are going to kick some butt in the marathon! Taper crazies…..keep the junk food out of the house because you will want to eat it ALL. Keep yourself busy…clean out closets, play dates, whatever it takes to keep you busy. You will think you are coming down with all sorts of ailments, don’t let your brain get the best of you!! Good luck!

Thank you!! Ahhh I hope I do! I need to make a to-do list of things. Maybe I’ll learn how to crochet or something. Thankfully Betty is insane and keeps me on my toes, so that will be a good distraction from the craziness. Thank you for the excellent advice! 🙂

17. Charlotte says:

Great job, Salt! I was laughing about the raided bread aisle! I can imagine that would be me plus donuts! haha I’m training for my first marathon that happens in Oct and at this point, I cannot imagine running over 13.1 miles. I remember how tired my legs were at the end of the HM. I’m a solo runner for the most part until races so maybe it would be beneficial for me to train with others like you do. Great post and congrats again!

Thank you so much! Actually I do train alone. I listen to stand up comedy when I do my long runs so that was just a little joke about what I had on my iPod the other morning. 🙂 It’s really not so bad. Honestly, when I finished training for my first half, I couldn’t imagine going any farther either, but then I did! I think you are going to do great with it!

18. Hailey says:

Great 20-miler! I’ve never quite gotten to 20. The furthest I’ve gone has been 19. Someday! I’m excited to read about your marathon coming up!:)

Awww thank you!! 🙂 Definitely don’t be nervous. I think I have been psyching myself up for no good reason on these training runs. In the end, this is something that we love to do. It’s nothing to be afraid of or nervous over and no matter how it ends up, we will still get it done. 🙂 I am so excited for your training!

Wow that sounds like an amazing long run! For the taper I would say that its better to do too little than too much. I keep myself busy by doing extra foam rolling and stretching, Epsom salt baths, making a race playlist, planning race day outfit, stalking the weather, etc……You are SO ready for this marathon!

Thank you! I’m so glad I asked for advice in this post because all of this is so great. I need to start foam rolling more often than I already do, but my roller kind of sucks. You better believe I am going to be obsessively stalking the weather! I’ve already been looking ahead to what the average temps are up there on that date. (Looks like it’s usually 50’s around race start. I can definitely deal with that!)

20. Running Betty says:

Girl, a 20 mile run definitely deserves a post-race selfie!! And your time is incredible! It’s hard to believe that was your first, you ran it like a boss! You’re going to kick marathon butt! Enjoy your taper – my biggest two tips are believe in the taper, it feels counter productive but they work and focus on nutrition leading up to the race! 🙂

AWESOME advice! I actually filed some of the stuff that you posted on your blog during your taper as some excellent advice to follow. 🙂 Thank you so much! I really hope it all goes well!

21. Piper's Run says:

Awesome job Salt! I’m still on the fence about a FULL Marathon – maybe someday (next year)….that’s a LOT of runnin’! You are inspiring! And, I would eat all the carbs and cake I could after a run like that too …… maybe i’ll bake a cake Friday so that after my long run (12k) Saturday afternoon, I can eat cake with my girls….you know for Mother’s Day on Sunday – that’s a good excuse!
    😉

22. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

You FREAKING ROCK!!! 20 miles and that pace! AMAZING!!! I swear you’re going to BQ. Is it bad that I did the same thing at my grocery store too and I didn’t run 20 miles? I kid. Or am I??