The Friday Five! Five things I love about…

Happy 20 Miler Eve, Everyone!

I signed up for Bob Potts last October about a week before I even participated in my first half marathon because I like to get way ahead of myself whenever possible. At that point, May 25th was so far in the future that the race didn’t even seem real. Those 18 and 20 mile training runs I would have to do weren’t on my radar at all.

Then this morning I woke up and realized…OH **** I HAVE TO RUN 20 MILES TOMORROW.

tumblr_mh5nd8tZu21rr6fsbo2_500

I can’t make any promises, but I’ll be trying to keep my freak outs to a minimum over social media for the next less-than-24-hours.

OMG.

To take my mind off all this, today I will be participating in the best blog linkup around:

DC_linkup

The Friday Five with three of my most favorite bloggers, Mar of Mar on the Run, Cynthia of You Signed Up For What?, and Courtney of Eat Pray Run, DC! An extra special shout out to Mar who is in her hometown this weekend for the Pittsburgh Half!! GET IT, GIRL!!!

5 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT…

photo[1]

BEING A MOM.

1. The Language Explosion.

Granted this has meant I have had to pay extra special attention to everything that comes out of my own mouth because she will soak it up like the world’s cutest little sponge, but Betty’s growing vocabulary is at the top of my list of favorites. It seems like yesterday that she was starting to experiment with her “da da da” and “ma ma ma” sounds and then suddenly she’s walking into the kitchen as I’m cooking dinner saying “Mom, I want something to eat. I want cheese.” and raiding the refrigerator. It seems like the full sentences and meaningful conversations happened overnight and I love it.

Oh and yes we’ve already moved past “mommy” to “mom” and we raid the refrigerator because apparently she’s a teenager trapped in a 2 year old body.

2. Getting to Act Like a Kid Again.

I am a big kid at heart and have always had no shame when it comes to enjoying things that are normally best enjoyed with small children, such as dancing with Sesame Street characters in a steel drum parade at the resort where I got married. I think I was the only person that didn’t have a child with me, but too many rum-heavy piña coladas are liable to bust my give-a-damn.

That said, I am thoroughly enjoying the fact that riding on the zoo carousel, bouncing in giant inflatable bounce houses, and playing on playground jungle gyms are much less side-eye worthy now that I have my daughter with me. Where I could have been seen as a little creepy before, I could now be viewed as a fun mom by judgey bystanders.

3. Monkey See, Monkey Do.

The other morning I was getting ready for work and doing my makeup in the bathroom mirror as I normally do. Betty came in the bathroom and when she saw what I was doing grabbed her little makeup mirror and got ready too. She even has her own Bonnie Bell lip smacker because lip gloss hoarding does not skip a generation.

I love when she mimics the things that I do, especially since I’ve been noticing that my desire to stay active has been rubbing off on her as well. She already loves to run, has her own yoga mat, and has been known to do a workout video with me on the weekends. She can plank better than most adults I know.

4. Mommy-Daughter Dates.

I love hanging out with my girl. My husband works weird hours so most of the time it’s just us. Usually on Friday afternoon, I pick her up from school and ask her what she would like to have for dinner and we go out – I’m supremely lucky to have a toddler that 98% of the time is very well behaved in restaurants. Then usually we will go get fro yo, or make a run to Target, or stop by the playground, or just go home to play and hang out. I have so much fun with her and I know that as she gets a little older, it’s going to be even more fun! I predict a lot of mommy-daughter spa dates in our future.

5. The Unconditional Love.

A couple weeks after Betty was born I was sitting in the parking lot of Babies R Us when all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks: I would do absolutely anything for the little person who at that moment was snoozing away in the backseat. I would literally be her human shield in every situation without a second thought and the realization of this (and probably some of the new mom hormones too) made me burst into tears.

I love her with every fiber of my being and although I’m far from the perfect parent and I’ve made my share of mistakes over the past 2 years, none of that changes the fact that she loves me more than anything too. I’m her super hero. Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve her.

I wish I could go pick her up for our dinner date right now!

I hope that everyone has a spectacular weekend filled with fun, family, great runs, and great weather!

Do you have kids? What’s your favorite part of being a parent? (I want to hear from the parents of fur-children too!)

#mamaSalt

(I love my hashtag. Thank you, Suz!)

50 thoughts on “The Friday Five! Five things I love about…

1. emmelineruns says:

Oh my goodness, this is too cute. I don’t have kids (and it will be a WHILE, I’m so not ready) but I have a scary amount of love for my fur-babies so I can’t even comprehend what it must feel like to have a mini-me.

Thank you. I can totally relate to the fur baby love. My cat Oskie is still my first baby. 🙂 I’m just glad that he loves Betty so much too! (She likes hugging him a lot which could be disaster, but luckily it’s not.)

2. Kristin says:

Don’t worry Salt, you’re going to ROCK your run tomorrow!!! You can do it!!! You’re strong and fit and FABulous!!! XOXO!! Sweet post!!! I love reading about you!!

3. Meg says:

Betty is the best. I love hearing reasons people like being parents, and your reasons are no exception!

I love seeing them develop. All aspects of that. Rolling to sitting to crawling to the beginning stages of language. It’s all amazing.

I have some fur-babies that show unconditional love. I ole that I can walk out the down down the steps to check the mail and when I come back they attack with excitement like I had been gone fur-ever! 😉

Hahaha I totally understand what you said. 🙂
      And thank you! It is so amazing and you get to witness it x2!! It must be so much fun watching the kiddos interact as they grow too. Twins are so neat. 🙂

• Meg says:

It’s pretty awesome watching them interact, that’s for sure! They melt my heart when they are sweet to one another!

Aw, this post just made me smile and damn wet stuff in my eye again. So super sweet (and lol at bust my give-a-damn. every. time.) Good luck on your 20 miler – will be thinking if you!! and THANKS for the super shout out!!!!

Thank YOU, friend! I’m about to start loading up the comedy right now! I could use a good laugh after all my sappiness on here this morning!

Sending all the good luck vibes to YOU!

5. Sara says:

Betty is awesome! Having a daughter is awesome! The language explosion cracks me up. Everyday Charlotte will say something completely off the wall and I die – either from laughter or mommy emotions because she says something so sweet. My favorite part of being her mom is her enthusiasm for EVERYTHING. It’s very infectious. And even on her rough days – she’ll do or say something that completely melts me and I forget everything that happened earlier.

Good luck tomorrow – you’re going to kill it!

It is SO awesome! Charlotte is such a sweetheart and I’m so glad they are friends. (And so happy they will be going to school together!) Last night as we were coming over to CCR Betty was saying “I like Charlotte. I give Charlotte a hug.” It was so sweet.

I was just telling someone yesterday that it was pretty much impossible for me to stay mad at B for more than 5 minutes. It’s so challenging, but then so amazing and rewarding at the same time.

And thank you! I hope when we see you I will be able to walk haha!

Kick ^$$ on your run tomorrow! I have a fur baby (kitten) that I love way more than is probably appropriate. She sleeps next to my feet every night under the covers!

It really is! I am so looking forward to things like that. I kind of hope she will want to do a 5K or something with me when she’s a little older!

#mamaSalt – saw that this morning and LOVE IT! 🙂

I have to admit that reading this whole post made me all warm and mushy inside. It is ALL so true – though for me much of what you are experiencing is from 14 years ago (youngest is 16).

Having kids has been an amazing journey – now we have long in-depth discussions, can discuss the impact of beat subdivisions in music, shot framing in movies, and who knows what else (they don’t appreciate my attempts to discuss math and physics in detail, though). As well as who they are crushing on, what is worrying them, nonsense that makes them laugh … and cry.

As for being a kid … yeah, I never stopped! I can still quote Winnie the Pooh, Veggie Tales, and on and on … 🙂

Good luck with the 20-miles #mamaSalt!

Thank you thank you! It really is the most amazing thing. My friends with kids would tell me all about it, but it is really so much more than they could ever describe. I’m so looking forward to having those kinds of discussions with her! Though maybe not math and physics because I am horrible at both those things. Maybe she will be good at them and can teach me a thing or two. 🙂

I can’t tell you how many times my husband has come home from work and I’m just sitting there with Disney Channel on like it’s no big deal. What can I say…her shows are entertaining. 🙂

Awesome! You’ve never run 20 miles, so it won’t be easy (it never is), but when you hit the wall, push through it! Make sure to have your energy source with you (whatever you ingest when you run). You’ll rock it!
    My favorite thing about the rug rats is you NEVER know what they’re going to say next. I’ve started writing some of it down. Their creativity is amazing. And often bizarre!

I WILL PUSH THROUGH IT! I know I’ll be able to do it. It may not be fast or pretty, but it will be done! 🙂 I’m making sure to lay out everything tonight before I go to bed so I don’t forget things while I’m staggering around at 4:30 am. I’ll probably sleep through the first 10 miles of it. 🙂

I LOVE not knowing what she’s going to say next! This morning she was watching Ruby and Max and my husband had already gotten her a cup of milk so I asked how she was and she goes “I got my milk and my baby (that’s her blanket) and Ruby and Max! I FINE!” Like it was the best day ever. I wish other people were so easy to please. 🙂

9. 262x2 says:

I don’t have any kids, but I know that when I am a mom I won’t be able to prevent unleashing my inner-kid. Oh wait, my husband and I are already like that! Having fur babies is awesome, too. There’s nothing better than a good cuddlefest with a Basset Hound. 🙂

10. Corinne says:

I’m not planning on having any human babies, so I spoil the crap out of my fur babies. I love having them around, especially the dog, Chloe. The things she will do to keep me on my toes! She’s a little dog, and sometimes it’s hard to keep up with all her energy, but I wouldn’t trade her for anything. I think I get the most joy out of watching her bring me every single toy from her toy basket nearly every night. It’s not uncommon for me to have 5 to 10 toys surrounding me on the couch or in bed! Everything she does I find to be absolutely adorable, but it’s when she nudges the book or phone or laptop out of her way so she can sit on my lap and stare up at me that I know she loves me just as much as I love her.

11. courtruns4cupcakes says:

This is so sweet! My sister is pregnant and due July 2nd I can’t wait to be an Aunt! (Being a momma is still a long ways away for me so this is as close as I will get for a while) Good luck with your 20-miler tomorrow, you’re going to rock it!!

July is going to be here before you know it! Congrats on your upcoming Aunt-status! I have four nephews (my husband’s sisters’ kids) and being an aunt is a lot of fun. 🙂 Thank you so much for the vote of confidence too! I just finished mapping out my route. It’s not pretty haha. As long as I finish I’ll be happy!

YOU ARE SO WELCOME. Can we have #mamasalt #suzlyfe dates? With Betty, of course. Have an amazing run tomorrow. Drive that Fiesty Red Fiat up to the starting line and then OWN IT. I will be cheering you on from afar! mwah!
    My favorite parts of being a fur parent are a) the moments that Zoe (or my horses) do something absolutely ridiculous and you bust your gut laughing at them. b) watching them fall asleep in/around you–that total and complete trust. When I rode, the most magical moments were when I would realize that my horses were fighting through something (injury/illness/fear) because of how much they loved me. I had 2 horses that actually took themsevles to the point where they sustained injuries/worked through conditions that ultimately killed them because they wanted to badly to perform for me. That is so, so powerful.

I don’t think some people give animals enough credit for how deeply they can trust and love you. It’s really an amazing thing. My aunt always had horses growing up and while I never really rode, I loved going out to her house and just hanging out with them. They are really the sweetest animals! (I wish she still had them because Betty would LOVE them.)

These #dates have to happen!! And thank you so much! It’s just a training run so I’ll be running the second I step out of my house, but I hope it goes well. I just want to finish it no matter how long it takes. 🙂

13. prettylittlerunner says:

My favorite thing about mommywood is how much love and fun we have… It’s soooo true when they say you never know how much you can love another person until you have a child…. They drive me insane some days but I don’t know what I’d do without them

14. Jade says:

I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking a little bit about swearing in front of your kid as by the time your kid is about 6 they will know at least (if not more) 6 ‘bad’ words. I was tuning in and out throughout it as my own kiddo was not having a good time coming home from day care but they said not to worry about it too much as it’s more of the tone coming out of it – the kids are learning how to express certain emotions… I still say hogwash I don’t want my little one swearing his head off because daddy does it all the time!

15. Pandora Viltis says:

The language boom is fantastic. My son is 19 and still makes up words. He thinks he’s clever.

I miss when he was little a lot, but that’s just because the last 3 years have been hard from my perspective. Up until then, it was pretty great. Don’t get me wrong–I adore the twerp. But I sometimes want to strangle him too. He also eats EVERYTHING! Lol.

16. Piper's Run says:

We have two little girls (almost 4 years and 17 months) and I love their little arms wrapped around my neck, when they are scared they look for mommy and how fast they learn and absorb everything! I never thought being a Mom would be SO awesome! Great post.

17. themilereport says:

Betty sounds like the coolest child ever.
    Good luck on your 20 tomorrow! I’m running 20 too, so I’ll think of you and take comfort in the fact that someone else is out there for so long too!

18. Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC says:

love this post — it’s so beautiful! i can’t wait to be a mommy (well, maybe i can wait a bit) and this was the sweetest. now — you are going to kill 20 miles tomorrow, woman! i’m already proud in advance 🙂

19. Running Betty says:

I love this! Being a mom is the best, my daughter is definitely a “vocabulary sponge”! After getting a “talking to” at her daycare when she was 3 and dropped the “sh” bomb, in totally perfect context, I realized I REALLY had to watch it! Now that she’s 8, we have the most amazing conversations and mommy/daughter dates; including spa mani/pedis! Betty is so precious, and you are such an amazing mommy! I think it’s great that you two are BFFs!! 🙂

20. bpangie says:

The language explosion. My 18 month old is really starting to pick up words, and my four year old, well, he’s picked up a few words he learned when daddy smashes his big clumsy feet into things… Not my proudest moments…

Good luck with your running.

21. runningsouthern says:

As I type this, I hope you are killing that 20 miler right now!!

I love reading about the love you have for Betty. One of my greatest fears is that I will have to sacrifice something- either my running or giving 100% to being a mom- once I have children. You are such an inspiration in finding the balance.

22. she's going the distance says:

awww! i can totally relate (aside from being a mom of course!) but i love being around my nieces & nephews and acting like a kid and loving them as much as possible. Ps- we need more pics of you and your daughter, so beautiful!