Except without the red carpet, limos, paparazzi, or commentary on what I’m wearing this evening. If there were, it would probably sound something like…
“Salt looks strikingly high fashion in gray sweatpants that she got on sale for $5 from Target the other day and a vintage orange tie dye tube top with a hole in it from Forever 21 that may have been purchased when she was actually 21.”
I just got home from hot yoga and haven’t showered yet, hence I am unapologetic about this outfit choice.
Anyway, I suck. Recently some of my most favorite bloggers in the wide world have generously gifted me some fun awards on their blogs and I have been really bad about accepting them. I feel like a total jerkwad because I really appreciate being thought of!
So today is Blog Award Day!
Warning: You are about to learn more about me than you ever cared to know in your entire life.
First, Liebster Awards.
I received these from Jenna @ Little Green Running Shoes, Emmaline @ Run for the Pizza, The Half Mad Half Marathoner, Lisa @ Running Out of Wine, and Becky @ Run Becky Run. If you haven’t checked out these blogs yet, please do! All five of these ladies are kickass!
As part of this award, I am supposed to answer an assortment of questions that they have made up for me, so this post is about to become a Salt braindump. I don’t blame you one bit if you want to go make yourself a sandwich or something and come back later.
1. What’s your favorite ice cream?
My favorite frozen yogurt place near my house just got in a caramel frappuccino flavor. I’ve only had it once, but I’m totally obsessed with it.
2. What’s your favorite outfit?
I wear jeans a lot or funky leggings. I also love to wear tank tops and really wish I could be doing more of that right about now. (It’s currently 40 degrees. Where the hell is my spring!?)
3. What’s your pet peeve?
I give you, this post.
4. Who do you admire most?
My dad. He’s overcome a lot of bad things in his life and is one of the most inspirational people I’ve ever known. He’s also the reason I went to school for design!
5. Pirates or Ninjas? Why?
Only because Betty likes them so much.
6. What was your favorite cartoon growing up?
7. If you owned a cow what would you name it?
8. Do you eat enough veggies?
Actually yes! I eat a ton of veggies. In fact, I just ate a giant bowl of asparagus about an hour ago.
9. Who is your favorite super hero? Why?
Totally badass, nerdy-cute when he doesn’t have that creepy mask on, and also has a quirky sense of humor that you don’t normally find in a super hero.
10. What have you learned today?
That I should probably accept blog awards as soon as they are given to me rather than waiting.
11. What scares you?
How long this post is about to get.
1. You have unlimited space and resources, how many pets do you have and what kind?
I’m thinking a scenario kind of like this:
Betty would LOVE it. Minus Matt Damon though, please, because I find him to be unattractive and not very good at acting.
2. What sports/activities did you do as a young child (prior to age 12-ish)?
I played basketball, soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse from 4th until 6th grade and not by choice. The school I attended was so small that every girl in the class had to be on the teams or else we wouldn’t have enough people to compete with other schools. The only sport I ever scored in was basketball and that was only one time.
3. What is the first thing you do when you visit your hometown? (other than seeing family/friends)
I live in my hometown now, but when I used to visit from out west, the first thing I would always want to do was track down some crab cakes. I will only eat crab if I’m in Maryland. I’m very spoiled.
4. You get an all expense paid vacation anywhere you want but only for a week (no around the world trips!), where do you go?
Part of me feels like I should say someplace in Europe because I’ve never been there, but I would really want more than a week and can’t think of just one place. So I’d want to take Betty back to the resort in Turks & Caicos where my husband and I got married in 2010.
And the Count.
Best celebrity encounters of all time.
5. Favorite American city to visit and why?
NYC because EVERYTHING.
6. What’s the craziest thing on your bucket list?
Running the Boston Marathon.
7. What novel has been the most influential at any stage in your life?
Pathetically enough I haven’t read a book in so long that I don’t feel very well equipped to answer this question. I guess I could say “The Twilight Saga”, but then I’d have to punch myself in the face.
8. You can choose: be able to run for life but never get faster than a 9:00/mi or you get the next year to be amazing and win marathons but then you can never run again. Which do you choose? (aka the Achilles question)
9:00 miles for life. I can’t put a price on my sanity.
9. Do you have the same favorite color as when you were a child? What is it now/then?
Right now my favorite color is purple. I’m sure at some point during my childhood it was purple but between then and now I’ve had a love affair with every color.
10. Favorite article of clothing?
Half Mad Marathoner Asks:
1. If I was coming to your city and could race only one race, what would you recommend?
The Baltimore Half. It takes you on a really great tour of the city and the finish is awesome. (You get to run through our baseball stadium!)
2. Almond Butter or Peanut Butter?
I hate both. I know. There’s something wrong with me.
3. Your favorite running shoe company has just offered to sponsor you to run 50 halves in 50 states. It’s all expense paid, plus you get to bring a friend. Who (dead or alive, famous or not) do you want to run with?
4. What is your must have, can’t live without running gadget?
Does my phone count as a running gadget? I feel more naked when I don’t have my phone than if I left the house without pants.
5. Dream race-station location?
PARIS. Like that will ever happen. Please let me live vicariously through you, Sue!
6. Runderware or no?
Is that a specific thing? If so, regular underwear is fine for me.
7. Are you as annoyed as I am by the signs & shirts that say, “Run like Ryan Gosling is waiting for you at the finish line?” I don’t want him to see me all sweaty and gross.
Yes, but not because I care about him seeing me. I can just think of about a million other people I’d rather have waiting for me at the finish line.
8. How many running related stickers do you have on your car?
One. I have a 13.1 sticker. It’s my second one actually because some assclown thought it would hilarious to steal the “1” off my car while I was in Florida, leaving me with a 5K.
9. What’s the most annoying thing you’ve had to deal with on a race course?
A crazy homeless guy trying to hit me with a branch during a 10K I ran last year.
10. Pen and paper or technology?
11. How far out do you start your training schedule?
I kind of feel like I’m training in some way or another all the time!
1. What is your favorite season and why?
I like spring. I feel like there are so many things to look forward to and everything is just starting to come alive again.
Usually by this time of year, the trees actually have leaves on them. WTF WHERE’S MY SPRING.
2. Are you a morning or a night person?
I’m an all-the-time kind of person.
3. What is your biggest running or fitness goal?
Short term: My right foot has been hurting the past few days and I’d really like for that to stop. Long term: To make it through Dopey Challenge without my legs detaching from my body and eventually to qualify for Boston.
4. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation this week, where would you go?
I’d like to go visit some of my friends in Los Angeles. I haven’t been back there since I moved.
5. What is your biggest running/fitness accomplishment?
I consider the fact that I run at all to be a huge accomplishment considering how completely anti-sports I was my entire life. Fitness wise, I’m super proud of my abs, especially considering that I birthed a giant child a couple years ago. Also I’m really proud of the fact that I can do scorpion pose now. It took me a really long time to get it right!
Next step would be touching my feet to my head. I have a ways to go.
6. How long have you been blogging and why did you start a blog?
Technically I’ve been blogging since 2009. I had another blog for years before this one, but eventually it started becoming too much like a chore and wasn’t enjoyable anymore so I stopped. Then when I started running, I needed an outlet where I could talk about everything related to that plus I missed writing about things that were going on in my life too. That’s when Run Salt Run started.
7. What is one dessert that you could not live without?
FROZEN YOGURT. FROZEN YOGURT. FROZEN YOGURT. (Amy knows.)
8. Do you spend most of your time throughout the day sitting, standing, or a combination of both?
Sitting unfortunately. I have a desk job.
9. What is your favorite post-workout indulgence?
The bigger the better.
10. What time do you usually go to bed at night?
Usually not until around midnight. I’m kind of an insomniac. Epsom salt baths have been helping that!
1. What is your favorite “cheat” food?
I don’t really have one. I eat pretty much whatever.
2. What is one little-known fact about you?
I’m directly related to two of the Founding Fathers of the US.
3. Do you own any pets? If so, what?
2 cats. Here’s an awkward family photo of them:
The black one is named Oskar and the one giving him the side-eye is Grover.
4. If you could run anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I’d like to go back to Santa Barbara and run again. I used to run on my lunch breaks when I worked out there because I didn’t belong to a gym and it was so beautiful, but I didn’t really enjoy running then. I want to go back and actually love it.
5. What’s your next race?
My next big one is my marathon at the end of May, but I may do a 5K between now and then.
6. How did you get interested in running?
Honestly, I have no idea. I had tried to run so many times in the past and always hated it. It wasn’t until last year that something clicked and there’s no turning back now.
7. What’s your favorite time of day to run? Why?
As much as I hate getting up, I do love going out in the morning. I always feel so great for the rest of the day when I get my run in early.
8. Do you run with someone or a pet?
I am a lone wolf, but I just started laughing at the thought of running with my cats.
9. If you could meet any famous runner, who would it be?
I’d really like to meet Meb. He seems awesome and super friendly.
10. What song do you listen to most frequently while running?
Hard to say. I listen to a lot of different music. My most favorite song to run to right now though is The Walker by Fitz & The Tantrums.
TA DAHHHHH! I hope you enjoyed your sandwich and if you’ve made it this far, THANK YOU! Part of the Liebster Award Rules state that I have to nominate some people and ask them 10 questions. Instead I’m going to ask 10 questions and you guys can answer one or all of them in the comment section if you want!
1) Who is your favorite Sesame Street character? (Mine is clearly Cookie Monster.)
2) How do you feel about treadmills?
3) Are you good at math?
4) What is your favorite brand of running shoe?
5) Coolest celebrity you’ve met?
6) What is your dream job?
7) What is your favorite kind of pie?
8) How many brothers and sisters do you have?
9) Why did you start blogging?
10) Do you take selfies at races?
Now on to this one:
I was given this award from the lovely Tantra @ Pretty Little Runner (what a cool name!) and The Pinterested Parent (who I’m betting has never had a Pinterest fail in her life and I’m jealous of that). Lucky for you, this award does not involve me answering lots of questions, but it does involve me telling you 10 random facts about myself.
I don’t know what else I could possibly have left to tell you, but here goes:
- I was VP of my sorority pledge class, but what’s usually more shocking to people is that I was actually in a sorority.
- I pierced my own nose when I was 13 and still have it today.
- I have a tattoo or 12. The next one I’m planning will be a 48.6 after Dopey.
- I briefly considered going to school for mortuary science.
- I get carsick if I sit in the backseat.
- I love wine. That’s probably not an unknown fact.
- I HATE BACON. I hope we can still be friends.
- I fell down an embankment in Malibu while on a hike in 2006, hit my head on a rock, and got knocked clean out. As a result have a scar on my temple where my hair won’t regrow.
- I used to ride a Razor scooter to work. As an adult.
- When I was pregnant with Betty for nearly my entire first trimester, all I could eat was these:
If I ever see another bunny shaped pasta again, it will be way too soon.
And now my nominees for this award!
TELL ME 10 THINGS ABOUT YOU!
Whew! That just made me far more tired than any Epsom salt bath ever has. If you made it this far, YOU ROCK.
Happy Thursday, everyone! Time to take a nap.
A Salt you know VERY well now.