From horror movie to love story…my 18 miler. {And a KT Tape Winner!}

You can read about the 15 miler here, but here’s the CliffsNotes version:

1317505384711

This was a chance to redeem myself after the epic post-Norovirus failboat that was my 15 miler 2 weeks ago. I’m happy to report that where everything went nauseatingly wrong during that run, everything went so SO right for my 18 mile long run on Saturday. From the playlist choices, to my fueling and clothing decisions, to the temperature outside, it was perfect.

Titanic

Except that MY boat didn’t sink. Also I hate this movie.

It’s probably a good thing that I went wine tasting on Friday because I was able to relax a little bit. I had been keyed up and nervous about this run for days. 18 miles was 3 miles farther than the farthest distance I’d ever attempted. I would have still been stressed even if everything hadn’t gone so poorly before.

My alarm went off at 4:50 am and after I got ready to go I would have 3 hours to complete the run. I mapped out a new route that would take me through some areas I don’t often travel in the hopes that it would keep it interesting, and studied it the night before. I didn’t want to look at my watch at all while I ran, but rather stick to a pace that felt comfortable and hopefully something I’d be able to maintain during my race. For the first time ever, I was running with water and rather than only carrying GU, I had one of my new favorite lemon vanilla Luna bars along for the trip. Also for the first time ever, I decided that for the first part of the run I wasn’t going to listen to music. Instead:

artworks-000068807569-jln1a3-original

STAND UP COMEDY. I’m not even kidding you, this was the BEST IDEA EVER. That album lasted for the first 8 miles and something about listening to someone being hilarious rather than music playing kept me a lot more calm and focused, plus it was fun to laugh while I was running.

Anyway, the run itself was largely uneventful. I ran. I drank. I ate. I felt awesome. As I mentioned, I mapped a new route to keep things interesting and it was definitely interesting in the way of some surprise steep hills that I never knew existed. I was successful in not checking my pace at all the entire run, which I know helped immensely. When I look at my watch too often I start over-analyzing how fast I’m going and feel crushed under whatever distance I have left. And then I freak out and ugly cry on the side of the road like Teen Mom Farrah. This time I knew where I needed to go so I just ran.

My legs started to get seriously fatigued right around mile 15. I had to stop at a traffic light and I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to get them moving again, but I did and luckily the rest of my trip would have only green lights. I finished as pain-free as I could have hoped for after running that long. My tendon didn’t give me any trouble, but as the day went on I started hurting in the side of my right foot. I’m pretty sure it’s a result of breaking in my new shoes and it still doesn’t feel great, but it’s definitely better.

1485110_787198374625901_8612676011945135426_n

No ugly cry for me this time, but I did tear up a little when I was finished. I was just so happy to be done and that it had gone SO well. My legs were exhausted, but mentally I felt that I could have kept going and going. I’ll take that as a good sign.

And these…these I am SO proud of:

13   8:35
14   8:19
15   8:17
16   8:27
17   8:28
18   8:11

I am ecstatic about those splits and even more ecstatic that I ran them blindly. I don’t think my timing could have been much better if I had looked at my watch. (It probably would have been a lot worse!) I’ll be tackling my 20 miler in two weeks with the same exact plan (different comedian!) and then two weeks after that? I’m running a marathon, y’all.

Have you ever listened to stand up comedy on a run? Who is your favorite comedian? (If I’m going to fill up the time I’ll be running 26.2 miles, I’m going to need some suggestions!)

Also today…A WINNER! Someone is about to receive a roll of KT Tape in the color of your choice and I’ll be over here totally jealous because I’m about to run out of mine. Special thanks to the awesome folks at KT Tape for helping me out with this cool giveaway and thanks to everyone that entered too!

THE WINNER IS:

rachel_winner

Rachel Oetting!!!!

Congratulations, Rachel! I’ll be emailing you in just a minute so that I can coordinate your prize!

Happy Disney Marathon Sign Up Tuesday, everyone! I hope your day is as amazing as you are!

71 thoughts on “From horror movie to love story…my 18 miler. {And a KT Tape Winner!}

1. Kristin says:

WOOHOO!!!!! I’m so proud of you!! You’re awesome and my OH MY, those splits are phenomenal!!! You are new to this distance and I have to say, you TOTALLY ROCKED IT!!! You are one fiiiine, strong runner!!! I can’t wait to read more and more about your runs!!! AWESOME!!! Have the best day!!! XOXO!!!

2. Laura says:

Congrats on an amazing 18-miler! You are so strong and the comedy idea is a great one. I’d be afraid that I’d laugh so hard everyone would think I was crazy… But I think that happens anyway!

WOW, I LOVE this!! so inspiring my friend 🙂 While I’ve never listened to something other than music I’ve actually been considering it for my next long run. Comedy sounds like an awesome suggestion!

4. irenejean says:

Awesome job on getting the 18 miles in and with those splits, wow! You paced that perfectly! I’ve never listened to stand up while running, but that a great idea! I’m a fan of Chris Rock and Jim Gaffigan. Looking forward to hearing about your 20 miler!

5. themilereport says:

You MUST have been feeling good if your last mile was your very fastest! Great job!! I’ve never listened to comedy or an audiobook on the run, but I may need to try it sometime. Our marathons are the same weekend! 🙂

6. Cat Hiles says:

Great job, and what amazing splits! I wish I was disciplined enough to not keep checking my watch as I run. It would be so much more enjoyable!

I enjoying listening to the Judge John Hodgman podcast while running. I would highly recommend it!

7. emmelineruns says:

Great job! I need to try listening to comedy I think, sounds like such a great plan! Try Michael McIntyre if you don’t already know all his stuff (though half his hilarity is in his physical reactions).

Thanks! I’ve never heard of him, but I will check him out. I have a bunch of comedy on my computer and a lot of it is sort of that way, but I still do enjoy listening to it.

I’m going to find so many great new comedians through this blog post!

8. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

Well done!!! I love the idea of using stand-up comedy to keep you calm and focused and laughing is a great way to keep you peppy! It makes perfect sense. When Mike and I do our 12 hour rides home to MD we usually listen to Pod Casts most of them are really funny so it’s entertaining and oddly enough I feel like people talking about interesting or even FUNNY things keep us more alert, vs. music. Sometimes the constant beat makes me sleepy (unless it’s techno… or something like that). YAY for your great 18 MILES!!!

You know you’re right. Even the stuff that I would think would keep me the most pumped gets repetitive and I kind of trance out. I felt so much more connected with the comedy. 🙂 I think I might have to try podcasts too!

9. Diann says:

Amazing!! So happy for you.

Also, what a brilliant idea to listen to comedy! I did used to listen to books (or at least a couple about running), but the idea of comedy is such a great one. How wonderfully distracting.

Congrats again. : )

10. RunBeckyRun says:

Stand-up comedy is SUCH a great idea! I listen to the Runner Girls podcast and some audiobooks, but I’m so going to download some comedy soon! Congrats on your longest run thus far! I did 10.7 miles this weekend, which is my longest distance so far. And also congrats to Rachel for winning the KT Tape!

Way to go! And it’s no surprise you started hurting at mile 15 – they say your wall is where your previous long run ended. Gotta push through it!
    I’m glad you didn’t end up like that teen mom – but I heard she was in a movie recently, so maybe she’s doing alright? 😉
    I never thought about running with comedy, but it’s a good idea! About a year ago, I gave up running with music and it has changed my life. Now I just concentrate on how my body is feeling without any distractions!
    Good luck getting into Disney! I tried to enter the London lottery today, but it was already full by the time I woke up. That makes 7 straight years I’ve been shut out. 😦
    My fav comedian is Brian Regan. He’s hilarious.

Oh wow I’ve never heard that before, but it makes a lot of sense!
      I think I heard something about her being in a movie too. I’m sure she’s super talented.

I have been wanting to break with music and I feel like this is kind of a step in the right direction. I’m going to be looking up this Brian Regan fellow!

I’m sorry about London. Good lord that must fill up fast! As far as Disney is concerned…that’s a post for tomorrow. 😉

Thank you thank you! I’m going to be looking into audiobooks now too since so many other people seem to enjoy them. It’s really a nice change of pace from the music.

Awesome run! Those splits are amazing! Glad this one went better for you! I just got new shoes too and as soon as I’m off my running break next week, i’m testing them out and hope they solve my calf problems! And BTW, listening to a comedy act is genius! I may have to try that!

Thanks, lady! It was my redemption run for sure.What kind of shoes did you get?? I hope they work their magic and all your pain is gone when you start running again!

13. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Dang girl you are getting close! I love reading about your progress and hearing your reflections on how you feel. Listening to stand up comedy is a GREAT idea! I have never thought of doing this but will definitely try. My favorite comedian is John Reep- he’s from NC and does a fantastic job of making fun of us North Carolinans. I also love Jeff Dunham.

Jeff Dunham is hilarious! I’ve never heard of John Reep, but I’m going to look him up. Thank you so much for the suggestions! And THANK YOU!! I am getting close and SO NERVOUS!

Great job Lauren! So glad you got redemption! Having a rough run can throw you, so it is great to come back so strong!

I am a non-listener, so not much help from me here … but with spring arriving my early mornings have been filled with birds waking up and animals happily trotting around …

I love those sounds too! Right now I am low volume or no volume when I run on the trail because I love hearing all the nature. 🙂 Thank you so much! I really did need a good run after that terrible one!

Hey–the alcohol cured anything bad in your system. Best pre-run ritual ever (as of now). I love those magical runs. I like the runs where you prepare and they work out too, obviously, but it is always fun when your body surprises you in the best way. I like the idea of stand up comedy…I like listening to classic books (Audiobooks has them for free)–Sherlock Holmes, Bronte, all sorts. Great fun, and often great accents (though some are barely intelligble, it is a free service, after all).
    Classic Dane Cook (his first 2 cds) are some of my absolute fave–you will “kick your shoes off in a fit of joy” from then on.
    I also used to love Greg Berrent (?). Used to see him on comedy central.
    Way to kick some a$$ on your run! Cheers 😉

YES! Classic Dane Cook rocks! I’m adding him to the list and I really liked Greg Berrent (I have no idea how to spell it either) when I’ve heard him before so maybe him too. Thank you so much!

It really was the most pleasant surprise! I hope my next one goes anywhere near as well!

16. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

YOU ROCK!! First- comedy while running is the most brilliant thing ever. I’ve tried books on tape but I always stop listening haha. Second- those splits are AMAZING speedy lady!! You’re so mentally strong! You rock!

17. irishrunnerchick says:

Nice job! Especially that last mile – looked like you paced it perfectly. I haven’t listened to comedians while running but definitely turn on the sirius comedy channel on road trips.