Salt’s Day Off

Earlier this week my best friend/office manager came to me with the most amazing news: I’M OFF WORK TODAY. Not that this should come as a major shock because it IS Good Friday, but still for some reason I was surprised. Probably because it was just snowing and I forgot it was April.

Anyway, there I was. Granted this amazing not-quite-random day off work and – please don’t judge me – Betty is still going to school. Any other day completely free of responsibility that I have ever had since I became a mom meant that I probably had a stomach flu or something equally as gross. This time I’m feeling great and I literally have nothing planned. No work plans. No mommy plans. Not even any fitness plans because Fridays are always my rest day anyway.

OH MY GOD WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH MYSELF?

I’ll tell you.

First? I’m going to Starbucks. I know you are all very surprised and it probably won’t be the only time it happens today.

Next? I’m going to my happy place AKA: the running store. I’m finally getting myself a hydration belt. I’m not trying to attempt an 18 miler tomorrow without one.

Then? I’m getting a pedicure. I will probably have to tip the same amount that I pay for the pedicure because I feel so badly for anyone that has to touch my scary feet. It will be worth it.

And then?

wine-tasting-drivers-near-you

I’M GOING WINE TASTING!! RANDOM!!!!

My mom and I are going to a local winery (Maryland has those!) for a little wine tasting in the afternoon. This will be my first time. I lived in California for a number of years and yet somehow I never went wine tasting even once when I lived out there and I’m still kicking myself over it. I think the last time I hung out with my mom by myself was when I was pregnant almost 3 years ago. Ironically we were in wine country and it’s not like I could go wine tasting then. I am SO EXCITED to spend this time with her!

After that, I will hopefully be relaxed enough to not completely freak out that I’ll be waking up at 4-something in the morning to attempt running 18 miles. I’m REALLY nervous about it and I just hope it goes better than my last long run. Still bitter.

Anyway, if you are my Insta-friend, I’m sure you will see lots of photos of my winey excursion today! I hope everyone has a Happy Friday, a Happy Easter if you are an Easter celebrator, and a Happy Weekend if you’re not!

What did you do with your last rest day? Have you ever been wine tasting?

27 thoughts on “Salt’s Day Off

1. laurenwayjurlee says:

I usually spend my rest days with the boyfriend. Either that or have what I call “introvert” time. I have been to a wine tasting….I was more interested in people watching than the wine!

2. Kristin says:

Oh WOW, Starbucks (yum), running store (oh yeah!), pedicure (double OH YEAH!), and finally WINE TASTING (I would love to do that, too)!! It sounds like you have a marvelous day planned!! I’m so excited for you!! Have the best time EVER!! You deserve it because you’re a hard worker, a wonderful mommy, and an awesome athlete!!!

The thing that gets me on wine tastings are the people who get really sloshed … so missing the point!

We live just south of the Finger Lakes, which has some of the best wines in the world and a massive and fast-growing wine industry … so when we moved here we did tastings, explored – and naturally when people come to visit it is one of the things we do. It is great fun, but honestly – why pay all that money when you are so drunk you can’t taste it?

On the good side, you actually get some really good prices at wineries compared to buying the same stuff at retail. I always assumed it was higher at the vineyard, but not true in many cases.

Enjoy your day … I am putting in a few hours – very, very quiet here as most people are off – and that means I can actually get stuff done!

4. Cynthia says:

We had a vacation in March to California and did the Santa Barbara jeep wine country tour. It was so fun! It ended up being only the two of us so we got a customized tour. We rode that jeep on all the back roads and learned some of the local history. We’re not much of wine drinkers, so we learned a lot at the wineries too! But I live near a large brewery for most of my life, and have never taken that tour. Funny how that works.

This is for sure a greatest hits of a day 😀 love the mix of practical hydration (hyd belt) and practical hydration (wine tasting). When I lived in VA wine tasting was definitely a treat. And I would be far more skeptical of waking up at 4 than pumping out 18 miles, but I am weird. I can’t wait to see insta-documentation! Good luck with all!

6. ambertherunner says:

I thoroughly approve of wine tasting with your mom on your day off. I love wine tastings & have been to several. I’m hoping to go to Wine in the Woods in Columbia this May too 🙂
    Good luck on your 18 miler (though I’m sure you won’t need it). I remember the night before nerves though, they were not fun. Somehow that fact that it was only a training run wasn’t much help…

7. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

Yay for days off – wish I was! I live in the Bible Belt and oddly enough NOT off for Good Friday, WTHECK?! I’ve been wine tasting in Linganore (Linganore Wine Cellars) and while it’s always been fun, I’m not a HUGE fan of their wines. They are very sweet and very fruity. Please share where you go and what you liked and didn’t – especially if it’s close to where you live, if it’s a good thing and you love it maybe you, me and the hubbies can go together next time I’m in town for an extended period!!! ox

8. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

LOVE it! You deserve a day off! Hope you have a fabulously relaxed day 🙂 I’ve been wine tasting once. My friends said they will definitely go with me again because I’m a light weight and only end up taking 1 sip towards the end and they get all my leftovers 😉

9. Sara says:

I LOVE taking off random days from work and taking C to school (and I don’t feel guilty ever!) I actually did that a couple weeks ago and got so many personal errands done i.e. leisurely shopping, trying on clothes.

I have not done a wine tasting at a vineyard, but I always see Groupons for them. I have been to a few of the local wine tasting festivals – not since C was born though.

Enjoy your day off! And good luck tomorrow!

Ohhh good luck on your 18 miler! I love wine tasting! I’ve been wine tasting in Napa and Santa Barbara wine country, SO MUCH FUN! Make sure you eat….it doesn’t seem like you are drinking a lot and then all of a sudden it catches up with you 😉

11. irishrunnerchick says:

Sounds like a fun rest day. I’ve been wine tasting a couple of times – in Napa, Washington state and even managed to do it in Utah! I always get really nervous the first time I run a new distance. Totally weird but you know you can do this. Plus you get to try out new kit which is always fun.

12. Jennifer says:

Have a wonderful day off! Starbucks Iced Coffee? Wine tasting should be fun. I’ve never been to the Maryland ones, but to Virginia and California. I went to some tastings in Napa/Sonoma the day before my half marathon… I ended up ok (made sure to drink plenty of water after each sip hehe).

13. funmotherrunner says:

Hope you had a fun day!! I love the wineries in Maryland, especially Boordy. Soooo yummmmyyy!!

PS. I nominated you for a Liebster Award. 🙂

Ha, i was following along on Instagram! I would kill for a day to myself! I have so much to get done, and no time to do it it seems…though I might end up like you at a wine bar instead. Haha!

15. Abby says:

Hope the 18 miler went well!
    That’s awesome you still sent Betty to school and enjoyed a ‘you’ day! I think more parents should do that once in a while.
    I unfortunately don’t like wine!