Bath salts!!!

Today I’m going to talk about one of my most favorite new things in the whole wide world.

No, not my shoes again.

bowl-of-epsom-salt-with-scoop

Epsom salt. Not to be confused with those other bath salts that make you freak out and chew someone’s face off, these have quite the opposite effect. Rather than turning me into a raving lunatic, an Epsom salt bath has the power to turn me into a happy, relaxed, pile of Jell-o. Whereas the wonders of it have been known by millions since probably forever, I am once again behind the times and only just learned about Epsom salt baths last week from one of my fave running bloggers, Neon is my Color, who posted about how wonderful they are on her Facebook page. Because I think she’s wicked smart and cool, I decided to do some research.

First and foremost, the name is misleading. Epsom salt is not actually salt at all, but rather a magnesium and sulfate mineral compound. Pretty solid reason why it is located near the band aids at the pharmacy and not with the food. Both magnesium and sulfates can be easily absorbed into your skin and what better way to do this than in bath form? Studies have shown that sulfates are great for flushing the body of toxins and improve nutrient absorption, while some of the magical benefits of the magnesium include reduced inflammation, and helping muscle and nerve function. Apparently Epsom salt baths can relieve a long list of issues from muscle pain, to migraines, and even constipation, all while making you super relaxed. Not that I would know anything about being constipated, but all the rest of those things sounded wonderful to my tired, sore runner’s body.

I visited my local Rite Aid to pick some up and because I’m such a high roller and aromatherapy is my jam, I shelled out the extra dollar for the lavender scent. Prepping an Epsom salt bath is simple and inexpensive. Here’s what you need:

• Epsom salt.
  • Hot water.
  • A tub.

That’s it. As a rule you aren’t supposed to use other soaps in an Epsom salt bath because it interferes with the process. I filled my bathtub with the hottest water I could stand, added a couple cups of the salt and soaked for 15 minutes.

At least I think it was 15 minutes. I might have fallen asleep for a little bit.

I’m kind of an insomniac and most nights I don’t get tired until after midnight which is just great when I have to wake up early for my long run. I took my bath at 10pm and I was out pretty much the second my head hit the pillow at around 10:45pm. I don’t think I moved at all the entire night. When I woke up in the morning I felt a little like I had been drugged, but in a very good way. I was SO RELAXED.

Why did it take me 36 years to know about these!?

Since then I’ve taken it upon myself to be a walking advertisement for Epsom salt baths. I even talked my skeptical husband into taking one and afterward he promptly fell asleep sitting up on the couch and then woke up a short time later totally confused about where he was. I win.

As I can see, there is only one con to be mentioned:

I probably shouldn’t take a salt bath the night before I have to do something important or wake up especially early for any reason. On Monday I set my alarm a half hour earlier than normal because I had planned on a 7 miler before work. I guess the alarm went off at 5:45 am, but I didn’t actually hear it until around 7:30 (!?!?) and I’m supposed to leave the house at 7:45 if I want to get Betty to daycare and me to work on time.

tumblr_mk2zxzJL9g1rlxqtro1_400

I think if I hadn’t taken the bath the night before, I probably would have handled the situation very differently (read: totally lost my mind). But I didn’t. And everyone was on time, I got my run in on my lunch break, and I learned a valuable lesson.

Have you ever taken an Epsom salt bath? Did you LOVE it? If you haven’t, don’t you really want to now!?

Happy Thursday, everyone! I know I’m excited…I’M OFF TOMORROW and taking the whole day to do absolutely nothing. It’s been a very long time since I could do that!

PS. KT TAPE GIVEAWAY!

41 thoughts on “Bath salts!!!

1. Lauren Gilfeather says:

I should send you a jar of my epsom salt muscle soak. I’ve finally perfected my recipe and am going to be getting it up on my Etsy store at some point soon, but you’d probably be a good person (besides me!) to try it out. I’m obsessed.

2. emmelineruns says:

I have a hard time taking baths in general but I took an Epsom bath when I was having really terrible soreness issues a few months ago. I got really sleepy so I got out after 15 minutes, I thought it was just me! I was so tired afterwards.

3. ambertherunner says:

I’ve heard of Epsom salt baths before, but was too lazy to do the research myself- so thanks to your post now I know all the benefits 🙂
    I definitely want to try this soon, it’s just a matter of finding time…if only I was off work tomorrow too.

I’m so happy I could be informative! Take it from me, definitely don’t do it tonight if you absolutely have to be up early. It might not be that way for everyone, but better safe than sorry and late for work. 🙂

I started taking epsom salt baths a couple years ago when I was having low back pain…it was so awesome and relaxing! I try to take them every once in awhile to relax my muscles but also just as a way to relax! I didn’t notice that I felt any more tired. (I always fall asleep really easily anyway) Enjoy your day off:)

5. Kristin says:

Yay, have a great day off tomorrow AND yes, I’ve taken an Epsom salt bath and it’s great!! I love your enthusiasm about life and you really post great, useful info!! Thanks!!

6. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

I have heard about these – but didn’t realize how amazing they were. Oddly I have a whole bag at the house now but haven’t opened it. When I injured my knee a while back (don’t that very menial task of crouching to put away groceries) I got it to help with inflammation but then never used it, I was too lazy but apparently should have! This sounds awesome. First thing I’m doing after painting and moving into our new house (did I mention we’re getting a new house!!!) is taking a long hot soak in the new tub WITH these salts!!!

7. the Mom Next Door says:

I love Epsom salt baths!! I buy plain Epsom salts from Costco in bulk and I also add a cup of baking soda (helps balance ph levels) and a few drops of lavender essential oil to the bath. When I’m fighting any sickness, or if my kids are, Epsom salt baths is one of my favorite home remedies. It helps detox the body and is amazingly comforting to a sore/sick body.

Ooooh thank you so much for the great tips! I will have to try it with baking soda as well! And not that I want to be sick, but I’ll definitely be trying a salt bath next time I am!

8. Amy says:

Hi Salt! I’ve been reading for a little while, but haven’t commented yet. I thought I’d introduce myself, (Hi, I’m Amy!) before I told you that I’ve never even thought of wanting to take an epsom salt bath, but now I feel like I MUST. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Amy!! I’m so glad you said something! 🙂 Please let me know how much you LOVE it when you take one! (Because naturally I assume that everyone will get as hooked on it as I did.)

9. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Okay, yet another thing you’ve sold me on! This and Pure Flows (most likely the model I’ll try next). You’re an expensive friend ya know 😉 I kid. But seriously, this bath sounds heavenly. And now I can say it’s helping me recover so it’s basically necessary. Have a lovely Friday off!!

Yes I think you definitely need to try this. Especially considering that you just totally destroyed that half the other day. 🙂 Stalking you blog and looking for more recaps! #pressurenopressure!

I want to hear what you think though! Let me know if it helps and definitely about the shoes if you try them! I took the Flows out today to break them in a little on the trail and they were great!

• fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

LOL I’m waiting for Kyle to download the photos!!! I think I’m going to demand they be ready by Saturday lol. I don’t think I can demand anything though since he woke up super early and stood around for a couple hours for me 😉

I’ll definitely let you know what I think about the shoes! So glad they work for you!

I need to do that. I never have but it sounds amazing. I also saw on tv the other day that you can mix it with dishwasher soap and use that to clean grout in the shower. Who knew? Enjoy your day off…I would kill for that!

11. Cheryl says:

I take Epsom salt baths daily to reduce an inflammatory condition and reduce anxiety. I can’t even explain how different they have made my life. In fact, I was away at hotels for the last week (getting married so for a good reason!) and I’m working on getting my inflammation back in check. They don’t usually put me to sleep, but I also don’t use two cups of Epsom salt either 🙂