Card carrying member of R.S.H.A. {Running Shoe Hoarders Anonymous}

See? It’s the truth.

rsha

(Being a graphic designer is so fun.)

I have a package arriving for me at some point today and I’m REALLY excited about it. Actually it was supposed to be at my house yesterday and FedEx refused to leave it even though I requested 2-day shipping and put a signed note on the door for them. Bite me, FedEx.

WHATEVER COULD IT BE!?

If you guessed “new shoes”, you are a genius or you are really good at deciphering obvious clues like this blog title.

pure connect

Oh hi, Brooks Pure Connects!
I hope I love you more than the Mizunos!

Why are these coming to live with me now after I like JUST got new shoes at the end of February? The Mizuno Wave Rider 17’s were a birthday present from my wonderful, shoe-hoarding-enabler husband. I purchased them after finding out that the Brooks Adrenalines I had been running in since last summer (all 2 pairs of them) were what was most likely responsible for my tendonitis. In the store, I fell in love with the Mizunos immediately. They felt perfect. I was also kindly told that if our relationship didn’t work out, I could return them within a 2 week period of time.

The problem is…I was on my running hiatus then. So by the time I actually ran in the shoes enough to decide that I hated their guts, I was outside of my 2 week return window. In their defense, switching to a neutral shoe has been instrumental in helping in my recovery. On the other hand, I think any neutral shoe would have done just as good a job and probably wouldn’t have mauled my feet in the process. I have blisters in some very confusing places such as on the TOPS of my toes? Also the shoes have rubbed an area of wicked discomfort on the little toe joint of my left foot. I guess the silver linings to this are:

1. It has taken my mind off any discomfort I might have been feeling in my right ankle, and
  2. It forces me to dress like Punky Brewster at the gym.

10172782_781279765217762_5367391891303742711_n

Thanks to a Google, I learned that it was not just me having these issues. It sounds like quite a few people that were devoted to their Wave Riders are heavily PO’ed about the redesign. So I decided to cut my losses and look for a new pair of shoes because there is just no way in hell I could run a marathon in the Mizunos and walk away with my feet still in tact. I was very close to buying a pair of Brooks Ghosts when I bought them, so I started there with my research.

The reason I didn’t go with the Ghosts was because although they were pretty light on my feet, they also felt kind of clunky. After poking around on the Brooks website and reading a bunch of reviews, I fell upon the Pure Connects.

Pure Connects are more minimal than I’m used to. Because I always thought I was an overpronator, I thought a more minimal shoe would be out of the question for me. Now that I know I’m not, I’m really excited to see what these feel like. They are apparently perfect for folks with narrow feet and high arches (both of which I have). Some of the reviews claimed they are great shoes for trail and if they work out for me, my marathon just so happens to be on a trail. And the best part? I found last year’s model in my size which means there was a very modest price tag attached to them so if they don’t work out? No big deal.

I’m counting down the minutes until the FedEx store calls me and lets me know my package is there. Because I had to get my package shipped to a FedEx store nearby. Because FedEx wouldn’t leave it at my house. Even though I put a note on the door saying to just leave the damn package. ::rageface::

Then it’s off to packet pickup for my 10K on Saturday!! (I love packet pickups! I’m such a huge nerd!)

How many pairs of running shoes do you have?
Which are your favorites?

Do you want to be a card carrying member of R.S.H.A. too? (If so, click HERE.)
Are you a big packet pickup dork too?

56 thoughts on “Card carrying member of R.S.H.A. {Running Shoe Hoarders Anonymous}

I love new running shoes and hate FedEx for the same reason! So frustrating. I actually order shoes so much that Zappos gave me VIP shipping status and I now get free overnight shipping. So dangerous. I also love packet pickup. I will do whatever it takes to be there when they open.

Oh man I would be so broke if Zappos shipped free overnight to my house. Totally dangerous!

Now that I’m done counting down the minutes to new shoes (I HAVE THEM!!) I’m counting down the minutes until I can go pick up my bib!

2. emmelineruns says:

I love the Pure line! They are my favorite shoes I’ve ever worn 🙂 I rotate though so I have 3 pairs from 3 different brands in my current rotation and another zillion pairs that I use at the gym or for walking around. I’m a shoe hoarder whether it’s heels or running shoes!

Okay so they are here now and on my feet in the office (screw you, dress shoes) and I am LOVING how these feel. Obviously haven’t run in them yet, but they are so damn light! I was shocked when I took them out of the box! Plus they are cool looking. Lime green laces are the jam. 🙂

3. SoWhatIRun says:

Too funny! I’m in the process of buying new trail and road shoes. My husband thinks the running community is a racket. After all, according to him…”sneakers should last at least 4 – 5 years.”

Hahahaha your husband sounds a lot like mine. He’s cool with getting me shoes for gifts or whatever, but he doesn’t understand why I go through them so fast. I think he’s had the same pair of sneakers since I met him.

4. northernambitions says:

Just getting mail in general is fun but new shoes! Amazing. I love the Zoots and I used to love Asics but lately I haven’t liked them. I’ve never heard of Pure Line but I love the minimalist style. I currently have four pairs and may or may not be hunting for another set of runners. I’m glad you can relate 🙂

Now that these are on my feet and I’m already falling in love with them just walking around, I’d definitely recommend checking out the Pure line if you like the minimal style. These feel amazing! (Obviously running in them could be a totally different story, but I wouldn’t mind just walking around in them constantly.)

I’ve heard the same thing about Asics recently. It sounds like a couple different brands have changed things up.

Haha, nice! I am obsessed with Brooks Pure Flow. One reason is the large toe box. Hopefully your new ones will give some more breathing room for your little piggies.
    I have so many pairs of Pure Flows laying around, it’s crazy. I mix them up on my runs so that I don’t just wear one pair each time. They’ve even invaded my non running fashion. I wear them when it’s too cold to wear my Birkenstocks.

Yes but do you run in your Birkenstocks? 🙂
      As I’m wearing these right now, I can already tell that the toe box is better for me than the Mizunos. Also the laces are offset so the area that was rubbing on the side of my toe has no rub-bage in these. So far I’m a fan! The best part is how crazy light they are!

I totally understand! I had a hard time parting with the Adrenalines and I know those were bad for me! It’s not like I was ever going to wear them again! I’m too shoe-sentimental I guess.

6. irishrunnerchick says:

I’m currently rotating two pairs of Pure Connects – which I love – and also have a pair of the Pure Grit trail shoes that I’m hoping to use on the trails tonight. Then there are the two brand new pairs sitting in their boxes waiting for marathon training to begin in June. So five isn’t bad right? Plus I think they were all on sale or gifts.

Yay I’m so glad to hear you love them too! I haven’t heard of Pure Grit, but maybe I should look into them. I really want to get some good trail shoes.

5 is so not bad, especially if they were sales and gifts. (Mine were the same way.)

• irishrunnerchick says:

Oops! I meant Pure Cadence but same deal. Great shoe. Feels like its made for my feet. Hope yours work out for you too. I’m still on the fence about whether a more minimal shoe was the right choice for a trail shoe but they’re working out just fine so far.

7. bpangie says:

Good luck on Saturday. I hate when shoe companies redesign things and totally lose the plot. I loved the Wave Ronin 2s but after a nifty redesign, the Ronin 3s gave me some nasty tendinitis. Oh well. Hope the Brooks work for you.

8. runningsouthern says:

It crushes my soul that you didn’t like the new WR 17s! I haven’t tried them yet (my 16s still have some mileage left on them) and am hoping that I am still in love.

I have tons of running shoes but really on run in one pair at a time. Every now and then I will do speedwork in a pair of Skora shoes.

They might work out great for you! I hope they do! My feet are kind of a hot mess anyway so maybe that’s why they weren’t right for me. I would love to try a pair of Skora one day!

9. Anita says:

I’m sorry the Mizuno’s didn’t work out for you and it’s too late to return them. Have you though about donating them to a school running club? Or if they’re a size 7 donating them to me? 😉 Mizuno lover here and I just bought the Hitogami’s. Not only am I a running shoe hoarder I am a running gear hoarder too. I had to move all of my business clothes to the spare bedroom closet. 🙂

Now THAT is a great idea! I will look into the school thing and see what they say. (They are an 8.5 and if they were smaller I would definitely donate them to you. 🙂 )

10. Kristin says:

I love looking at running shoes; however, I usually wear one pair at a time because I have very sensitive feet!! I wear Mizuno Sayonaras and I’ve tried some other ones like Newtons but my toes get sore or something weird like that happens. I have tons of gym shoes though!! I love mixing it up!!

I think I’m going to hang on to the feet chewy ones to wear at the gym when I’m not there to run. At least I can still get some kind of use out of them that way. I’ve heard good things about the Sayonaras! Maybe I should add those to my try list if these don’t work out for me.

11. candies & crunches says:

They are SHO SHOOOO cute! 😀 Love your mismatched socks! lol! I’d loooove to become a running shoe hoarder just like you, but for now I have only 2 pairs: Asics (for regular runs) & Reebok All Terrain Super (for trail running & the Spartan race). I’ll be definitely following your footsteps! Hmmm.. Freaky… No, not you! I’m being freaky! Haha! ❤ xoxo

Haha thanks! I don’t match a lot of the time anyway, so this isn’t too unusual for me. 🙂 How do you like the Reeboks? Eventually I want to get a trail specific shoe as well. Not for my race in May, but probably this summer.

12. Nikki says:

Oh dear, shoe hoarder here too however mine are ALL Mizuno and I love every single pair, even the 17s. 🙂 I’ve worn Riders forever and quite liked the redesign but when it comes to shoes you have to pick what works for your foot bc it is not worth running in shoes that don’t work for you. Sad you didn’t like my beloved WR17s but here’s hoping the new shoes work better!

I wish I did love them! I love how they look and they definitely did help my previous issues I was having, but something was just not jiving right with my feet. I’ll still mostly likely keep them around for gym days though. I’m glad they work for you! It’s so interesting how different shoes are on different feet. 🙂

13. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

OOO I’m excited to hear about how these shoes work for you! Good idea to switch. Those other shoes sound like they weren’t perfect, and when you’re running THAT many miles you NEED perfect in my opinion. I’m on the lookout for a neutral shoe (I overpronate but have inserts to correct that)! I have 2 pairs of Mizuno Wave Inspires (which I really need to replace), 2 pairs of Nike-something-or-others (super old running shoes so they’re only for walking or gym stuff only), 1 pair of Pumas (gym stuff, no running in these puppies), and 1 new pair of Brooks Glycerin which I’m still deciding if I like. So I’m not super horrible yet! But once I find a pair of shoes that I fall in love with and consider marrying, I will hoard them like it’s my job!

Exactly! I’m shocked it took so long for the other Brooks to ruin my feet, but whatever. I’m glad I got it figured out before I tried to run a marathon in them. I actually bought a pair of Pure Flows on the cheap that should be to my house next week so I will be interviewing those as well. It’s like the Dating Game.

14. ambertherunner says:

Ouch! I used to use Mizuno WaveRiders & I never had those issues – sad that the updates were so terrible.
    I wouldn’t call myself a running shoe hoarder…I only have 4 pairs, and one pair in a box ready to be broken in when I retire my worn out Saucony Kinvaras. I have the Pure Flows too, and I love them – hopefully the Connects will suit you just as well!
    Complete & utter packet pick up dork. Don’t even get me started on expos 😉

Yay for new shoes! I just bought some too! I hope they work out better than the other ones. PS I’m running the Hershey 10k with Lindsay this weekend and we’re going to miss you! Good luck at your 10k!

16. irenejean says:

Ooh, I love running shoes! I have a pair at work and two at home (one for trail and one for road). I’ll be picking up another pair of road shoes for marathon training very soon too, having four pairs of running shoes is totally reasonable, right? I run roads in my Asics Nimbus shoes, and I run trails in my Brooks Cascadia shoes. I love them both! I hope your new Brooks shoes are “the one”! I’d definitely run a 10K in the new shoes.

I hope so too! I am a huge fan of Brooks so I’m hoping to stick with them this time around. I’ve been wearing them all day now and I feel like I might be comfortable enough in them to try them tomorrow. 🙂

17. Run Pilou Run! says:

Hehehe, I hoard shoes too. Not because I like them so much, but I have quite a few issues…I have: 2 pairs of my old Asics (they were great until I started developing some massive blisters under my big toe, but like massive ones); a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires (the pink ones; I am a neutral runner, always have been, but due to plantar fasciitis I figured I’d try these, plus I loved the colour – dumb! MY PF was from Bikram Yoga – awkward pose to be precise); now I have a new pair of Asics, a lighter more minimal version. They seem to be OK, but I have yet to put some serious miles on them. I did add a pair of Schwings on, just in case!

Haha I love Shwings!!
      I never thought about PF as a result of awkward, but that makes perfect sense! That is one of my least favorite poses in that class. I have a hard time with it right now because of my tendon anyway. I hope the Asics continue to work out for you!

18. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

It’s definitely interesting to read your take on the Waverider 17s. I went from Brooks Ghosts to Waverider 16s last summer and I love my Mizunos. I have been worried about the drastic changes that took place in the 17s, however… so much so that when I needed new shoes again I bought an identical pair of 16s about a week before the 17s were released. (I didn’t want to wait for the 17s to come out only to find that my beloved 16s were gone!) When it comes time for new shoes I’ll have to do some research and perhaps a trial run before committing to the 17s. I have no desire to feel like I’m wrapping my feet in barbed wire! 🙂

From everything I’ve heard, you made a wise choice. 🙂 People LOVE the 16’s! That said, the 17’s are definitely fine for some people so I’d try them out and see what you think. Hopefully your experience with them will be better than mine!

Girl…what kind of tendinitis? I’ve been dealing with post tib tendinitis for forever now and it’s starting to get worse. I run in the Saucony Cortana and rotated with yep, the mizuno wave rider!!! In fact, my problems started with the wave rider, but are still there even with the Cortana, so not sure what the culprit is…really frustrating!

Uggghhh I’m sorry you are dealing with it too. It’s so frustrating. 😦 Mine is peroneal. It’s definitely worlds better once I got out of the Adrenalines and it has never been as bad again as it was in February, but some days it just nags and nags. KT taping it has helped it recently. I hope you figure out which one of those shoes is doing this to you! Feel better!

20. Abby says:

Not many things excite me quite like new running shoes!
    I really hope they work for you 🙂
    I have too many running shoes to count, although I have only been running in one pair for months now!

I tried on the brooks (Pure Connect and Pure Drift) by the way the tongue sat wasn’t comfortable for me … which is why there are so many types of shoes – we’re all different!

I realized this week I haven’t thrown out any shoes since I started ‘running seriously’ two years ago … I don’t really use my oldest pair anymore, but have done at least walking in everything else. Ugh. I have a problem 😉