An early morning weekday run. {And kids say the darndest things.}

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone SO much for all the wonderful comments and support you posted on my failblog yesterday. I know we all have a terrible run from time to time, but hearing your stories and great advice really helped me feel worlds better. Because of you, I woke up this morning ready to take on the 10K that I had planned. I even mapped myself a new route and that further helped me feel like I was getting a fresh start.

The only day I typically go out in the early morning is on Saturday when I do my long run. The rest of the week I go out on my lunch breaks because my mornings are usually so swamped with getting myself ready, getting the little person fed and dressed, daycare drop offs, coffee pick ups, on-time arrivals to work, and frankly the idea of waking up at 4:30 am to fit in a run is really unattractive to me when I could just do it mid-day.

Wednesdays my husband is usually off work though – it sounds more awesome than it is…the trade off is that he works Saturdays – and he hangs with our daughter all day. So this morning I felt compelled to set my alarm for 6 and head out for my last planned run before my 10K race on Saturday morning.

Nothing too interesting had a chance to happen while I was out there, but my new route was awesome with some challenging rolling hills. I finally got my outfit right and didn’t feel too hot or cold. One of my favorite comments that was left on my post yesterday was from my awesome blogfriend Irishrunnerchick, who told me that usually after she has a miserable run, she comes back with a fantastic one. Today I ran my fastest post-injury 10K and according to Map My Run I set several PRs on the hills I have been running around my neighborhood for ages. That definitely put a smile on my face.

10K

Plus I was treated to a beautiful sunrise and now that I’ve gotten it out of the way, I am free to join my daughter and husband for lunch today. Wins all around! As much as I don’t love waking up early, I do love starting my day with those running endorphins. Better than Starbucks!

I’m still drinking a Starbucks right now though.

Speaking of my daughter…

bettycarousel

Carousels are her favorite. I take her to the zoo regularly and buy the ride pass so she can go as many times as she wants. She likes to pick a different animal every time. Usually I am motion sick by the end of all this, but she’s worth it.

Anyway she just keeps getting more hilarious and awesome with every passing day. And more attitudey, but she’s 2 so that’s to be expected. In my opinion, little kids are the funniest people on the planet. They have no filter and will just say whatever pops into their minds and it’s totally acceptable and cute when they do it.

I wish it was acceptable and cute for me to say whatever I was thinking at all times.

Before I had Betty, that was one thing I looked forward to about having a child. Now she’s here, she talks A LOT, and the completely innocent and LOLZ-inducing comments have started. Last night was one of her best.

We had gone to my mom’s house for dinner. As we were leaving out of her complex we saw a man running on the side of the road. He was a older guy with white hair and a white beard. When I see people running, I always get really excited for them so as I drove toward him, I gave him a wave, a thumbs up and told him he was awesome. He smiled and waved at me in return. It was such a nice exchange and then suddenly here’s Betty in the backseat yelling, “HO HO HOOOOOOO!!!” at the top of her lungs.

He had to have heard her. The windows were way open because it’s finally nice enough outside for that sort of thing. I started laughing so hard, I almost drove off the road.

Running Santa

So if anyone was wondering what Santa does in the off-season, Betty would like to inform you that he runs around her Nana’s neighborhood in Baltimore. Obviously.

I must say he was looking pretty fit too. All the cookie eating must not be a year-round thing.

What time of day is your favorite time to run?
Does planning a new route give you that fresh-start-feeling too?
What is the funniest thing you’ve ever heard a little kid say?
Have you ever wondered what Santa does for the rest of the year? (Aren’t you so glad you know now?)

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!

My AmLactin giveaway is still going on and if you haven’t yet entered, it can be done HERE!

59 thoughts on “An early morning weekday run. {And kids say the darndest things.}

1. Laura says:

That’s such an awesome story! I missed your post yesterday (sorry), but I know how a bad run can completely frighten away everything good about today. I think blogging about it helps – but nothing helps more than a good run the next day! Good luck on your run this weekend!

2. prettylittlerunner says:

I love morning runs… unfortunately during the school year that rarely gets to happen… I’m happy spring is finally here maybe I will get to squeeze in a few:)

I love planning and running a new route… I’m such a planner that sometimes the feeling of the unknown is exciting….

My 3 year old son talks with a 1950’s Brooklyn accent ( I think he picked it up from my in-laws)… He says funny crap every day…. I swear there is never a dull moment with him and his honesty makes him even more funny…

I think I’m going to get up early more as the weather gets warmer only because last year was pretty ghastly during some of my lunch break summer runs. 🙂

I LOVE that he talks with an accent! My daughter’s favorite TV show is Peppa Pig and sometimes she calls me “Mummy” in a British accent, which I think is hilarious and so cute. Kids are awesome. 🙂

3. candies & crunches says:

OMG! Your daughter is absolutely adorable. I’d looooooove to be able for 6am runs, but I need to start going to bed waaaau earlier than I normally do lol! Also, I think I’m still waiting for it to be warmer outside. I’m flying next week and scared to have a bad repeat of my honeymoon flight because I was too eager to go for a super early run and got sick 😦 Painful is definitely an understatement lol! Btw, loved that quote about the brain and training in the morning!!!

xoxo
    Olena

Awww thank you! I think she’s pretty cute too, but of course I’m biased. 😉
      The mornings are still a bit cold and I’m looking forward to not wearing my tights out like I did this morning. I think a lot of my runs are going to end up earlier during the summer because it gets so unbelievably humid here.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation where ever you’re going! I don’t blame you on that fear one bit! (I’m just a nervous wreck about flying anyway.)

Yeah, my wife works the occasional weekend, so I know what you mean about being an occasional single parent. The only way to get a run in is to wake up super early and do it before she leaves…ouch! But gotta do what we gotta do.

Speaking of Santa and kids saying crazy things, our 4 year old had an idea for a short Christmas movie. I’ve been trying to work on the script, but so far I’ve just been quizzing him on basic elements like characters (he’ll say something like ‘baby ghost’). I hope to get it written, shot and edited by the holidays. Oh, the title he came up with is “The Not Nice Santa”

I LOVE that you are using your son’s idea for a movie! I wish I had that kind of talent. Oh and I think that title sounds perfect. I’d go see it in any theater.

5. Half Mad Runner says:

Betty is too funny but I’m 38 and every time I see anyone with a white beard, I always yell “SANTA!!!!!” But I do it with the windows up. lol

Congrats on the come back run. I’m so glad it went well. I’m still waiting on mine after my horrible half on Sunday. I haven’t had a chance to run yet due to helping a friend in a bad situation move. But I should be able to get out tonight. I can’t wait!

6. emmelineruns says:

I like running in the late morning or midday, I feel freshest then so I’m more likely to enjoy my runs. I love the feeling of finishing an early run but I’m sluggish super early in the morning so I tend to not enjoy the first few miles until I wake up a little more!

I agree and I’m the same way. A few times I’ve gone out for my long run, didn’t even really wake up until a few miles in, and had an actual “where am I and how did I get here?” moment.

7. Piper's Run says:

That’s funny. We had an encounter with a Santa today. Some neighbours of ours have a wooden display of Santa under their tree and Lilly usually see’s it when we drive by. This morning, she looked and said…there’s Santa again, he has got to go away soon it’s going to be summer soon!
    I don’t have a favourite time to run but I do love the feeling you get after running that lasts the whole day long.
    Lilly cracks me up all the time and now Hilary is saying more words….it’s going to be trouble when they both get going!!!
    Enjoy your day!

Oh gosh that is going to be hysterical having the two of them feed off each other! And I agree with Lilly…the Christmas decorations have got to come down. A few people in my area still have lights up. It’s confusing to Betty haha.

8. Kristin says:

Wow, awesome run for sure!! I’m glad you enjoyed it!! Betty is JUST the cutest EVER!! Such a sweetie!! I have frequently wondered what Santa does on off season. WOOHOO, now I know!
    My favorite time to run is first thing in the morning!

Thanks and I’m so glad I did too! I needed that boost after the other day and I think I got it. 🙂

And thank you. I think she’s pretty darn cute too. I actually just got back from having lunch with her and getting to spend that time makes the rest of my day so much better! I need to start running early more often!

• Kristin says:

Awe, I just think you’re the coolest mom! What a sweet family! You’re very inspiring- it takes a lot of guts to do a marathon. You really have to put yourself out there into unknown territory so you should be so proud of yourself!! I know you’re going to have a phenomenal marathon!

9. irenejean says:

I just got caught up on your long run nightmare, how horrible! I had a run like that myself just a few weeks ago. I’m glad to hear this run went so great! Planning a new route is exciting and definitely keeps it fun, I love having new things to see 🙂

I agree. This neighborhood that I ended up running through this morning is one that I’m only vaguely familiar with and there were actually quite a few other runners out around there which was nice! Lots of people to wave to and new things to check out!

10. onedreamymess says:

Nice job on your 10k run! I’ve been doing horrible lately and went out yesterday for a 9 miler. It was miserable. I was so weak and tired. So I am hoping that like what you said… my next run is fantastic 🙂

Oh no! I’m sorry it was a rough one for you too. Maybe we’ve all been bitten by the same thing because I’ve heard so many stories about terrible recent runs! You’re going to kill the next one!

11. Corinne says:

Haha, Betty is too cute! I bet that guy is used to things like that, in all honesty 😉

I haven’t read the blog for the past couple weeks (I’ve been busy!) but I’ll get caught up soon! I’m pretty sure I recognize that hill too from your morning run. Ugh, seeing your pics make me miss Baltimore!

He probably is. He looked A LOT like Santa haha.
      You probably do know exactly which hill that is! It’s pretty much right outside my house. (I start and end at the same spot.) Next time you are here, find the hill and come over!

12. Andrea says:

Glad to hear that your run went so much better today! Such a funny story about Betty. I love how smart little kids are and all of the things that they piece together and say!

So glad you came back strong! A few weeks ago I really thought I was losing my mojo, and had a really ‘sloggy’ day, then the next day was warmer (~25F) and I just breezed through my run and added extra distance … it was great!

Love the Betty story as always … she is such a cutie!

And kids … yeah, totally no filter with a ton of cuteness. We were looking through pictures of our first family Disney trip (2001, Danny was 4.5 and That meddling dog was 3), and it was full of the joy and honesty that only little kids can provide!

I think everyone who has told me that we need those bad runs to put the good ones into perspective was spot on. I can’t imagine you having a bad run for some reason! But it happens to the best of us I guess! Those runs that are effortless are just the best. 🙂

Thank you thank you! She’s just my little shining star and I love how she’s coming up with new things every day. Having two must put a whole new dynamic to the hilarity though!

14. afastpacedlife says:

Betty’s response was HYSTERICAL!!!!

And oh yeah, on coming back even stronger. It’s perfectly normal to have a bad training run even when there’s no ostensible reason for it (e.g., sleep, diet, stress levels, etc are all good). No journey is a smooth ascent and these (temporary) set backs help us become stronger and more appreciative in the long run.

15. irishrunnerchick says:

Your daughter is adorable! I love how kids have no filter. So much fun! And thanks for the shout-out. I’m glad that your run went so well. And so fast! Impressive! Sometimes I think we have to earn our awesome runs by having some crappy ones but I’m happy to do that!

16. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

yay! so glad you are back! I knew you would bounce back quickly. I love waking up early and getting my workout in. I am definitely a morning person. Unfortunately working in the fitness industry, my own fitness goals sometimes have to be put on the back burner. I can’t run before work and then teach two to three classes in a day without wanting to be in bed by 7 pm. So Saturday mornings are my sacred time to take my time getting my workout in.

New routes are always exciting but there’s also something to be said about hitting a familiar route and being able to leave my GPS brain at home.

🙂

Oh man I can imagine! You have to stay awake for your classes! I never thought of that aspect of it. 🙂 I love doing those familiar runs sometimes too. The first time I went out after getting hurt, it was such a nice feeling running through the neighborhoods I had been missing!

17. missadventuresinrunning says:

That story is hilarious! I love it! Kids say the darnest things! That is for sure. I love getting my runs finished in the morning. I always feel ready to take on the day. Getting out of the bed is another matter…At least it is easier now that it is warmer!

never been more convinced we are like long lost sisters… I cannot run in the morning unless it’s for a race and I have no choice. Lunch would be ideal but I can never get out so I settle for early evening, straight after work before my body remembers it’s exhausted. And aside from not liking Starbucks, I am a coffee hound – *guzzles second cup!

I wish I could run in the evenings sometimes! Since Betty and I are solo almost always though…no dice. The one night a week my husband is home, I go to yoga. 🙂

It has to have something to do with the back to back birthdays!!

19. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

PAHAHAHA oh Betty you’re hilarious!!! I was worried Santa didn’t exercise and only ate cookies, but I’m happy that he runs 🙂 Having a new route to run is the best! I find that the run goes by a lot faster because I’m scanning the area. Way to go on your awesome 10K speedy lady! You rock!!

Thank you! The only thing I wish is that my new route had a creepy yard like the one that you get to run by. The other day I found a water park though! Like literally a mile from my house there is a frigging water park and I had no idea it even existed. It’s not huge, but it’s something fun to do this summer!

I’m glad he runs too. I was worried about his blood pressure, but now not so much.

20. Anita says:

Just caught up on your long run from hell and I’m so happy to read that this one was so much better. You’ll be awesome on Saturday, you always are 🙂

It’s great to hear Santa is taking care of himself during the off-season and I hope he had a chuckle over Betty’s comment 🙂 Kids are freakin’ hilarious!

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYY! You’re here!!! Sorry I was over the moon to see that you commented (and posted a blog today). 🙂

Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m cautiously optimistic for Saturday. I haven’t raced a 10K since last September so I’m hoping I can pull a PR.

So sweet, they really do say the funniest things. My fav time to run is at sunrise or sunset, the not quite bright light of the day is really soothing to me.