Lose 10 Pounds in 12 hours! And the Friday Five!

Last year I wrote a post about how to get a 6 pack in 5 seconds and my blog got more views that day than ever before or since. I’m sure that the vast majority of those people were sorely disappointed that the title was just a tease and a strong core actually takes a lot of hard work.

I’m wondering how many people I’m going to confuse today with that title up there, but unlike last time I really do have a super easy, inexpensive, time-saving weight loss answer! It’s not any more difficult than licking your nearest door handle!

noro

UGH.

I’m pretty sure it started with my stepmom who suddenly didn’t feel well when we were over there for dinner on Sunday night. Then my husband got hit with it Tuesday. Then last night Betty and I went to hang out with my mom and I started feeling really off during dinner. By 11pm, Betty had it too. It was a long night.

This morning she was back to her sassy self though and I’m a little less gross as each hour ticks by. Luckily today was a planned rest day so I’m not missing out on anything and expect to feel okay for my long run in the morning.

So haha funny weight loss jokes, but I really wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Anyway on a way less disgusting note, it’s time for the Friday Five Linkup with three of my favorite blog friends, Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney!

DC_linkup

Today is a FREE FRIDAY, which unfortunately does not mean that my Starbucks was free this morning or that I was free to come to work not wearing any pants. It means that I can pick any 5 things that I want, so I’m going to tell you 5 of my PET PEEVES. I’ve been having kind of a peevy week, so I think this will be very therapeutic for me.

1. Speaker phone.

I hate it. I understand when it is a necessity, like if the person I’m talking to is in the car and using a hands-free is the law. Otherwise, if it’s a personal call I don’t think everyone else on the planet needs to hear my phone conversation. Then I feel like in order to hear a person via speaker they have to shout. And then I end up shouting. And then it becomes this whole big shouting match, which is stressful and I just don’t want to be a part of that. If the person I’m talking to is unable to hold the phone up to their head at that moment, I would rather they just call me back when they can.

2. When someone responds to an email with a phone call.

This happens at work a lot. I like to conduct my business on email, especially if I’m in the middle of working on a design project for someone. Then I can just print out their responses and use them as a to-do list. Getting a phone call requires me to find a pen and write a bunch of stuff down right at that moment where I might already be involved in something else. Yes that might be a little lazy, but I’m a lot more organized when it comes to email. I’m like 100x more likely to forget to do something if I don’t have it in email form.

3. Caillou.

Chances are that a lot of you don’t know what/who that is.

tumblr_m71dftVJjB1roogalo1_500

My husband and I have come to the agreement that this is the most terrible TV show for kids on the planet. I won’t even have it on as background noise. If Betty is going to watch TV, I’d much rather that she be learning her letters from Super Why than learning how to be an insufferable, whiny, spoiled jerk from Caillou.

As you can tell, I don’t like him even a little. Plus he kind of looks like a Charlie Brown rip off and as depressing as Charlie Brown is, there can be only one.

4. People in cars that pay no mind to runners. (Or cyclists either for that matter.)

Hey you! You there in the 3,500 lb piece of heavy machinery who is paying absolutely NO ATTENTION to the fact that I – protected only by my running clothes – am sharing this space with you.

I have almost been run over no less than 10 times, mostly by people that like to fly up to the end of driveways and through stop signs without looking right or left for anyone that might be about to cross right there. It’s disturbing to me that people would be so oblivious while behind the wheel of a car. Even more disturbing was the time that a driver made direct eye contact with me and still turned right in front of me. I guess “right of way” means different things to different people.

5. People that park in the “I have an infant with me” parking spots at the grocery store, when they in fact have no infant with them.

Now that Betty is a little older and can walk on her own, I don’t even use those anymore. I feel for new moms with bitty babies that are also trying to juggle a heavy load of groceries. I’ve been there. And as awesome as I think it is that grocery stores give them this convenience, 8 out of 10 times there is no car seat or base in the backs of the cars parked in those spots. I know because I used to check all the time, especially when those spots were taken and I was lugging a heavy car seat with a heavy infant in it through the rain from my parking spot a quarter mile from the store entrance. Uphill both ways with only soaking wet newspapers for shoes.

And that concludes my complaining for today! Thank you, DC Trifecta, for the opportunity to spill my guts! As if I haven’t done enough of that in the past 12 hours. TMI.

Do you have any pet peeves? Do you agree with any of mine?

Happy weekend everyone! Stay safe and sane out there!

43 thoughts on “Lose 10 Pounds in 12 hours! And the Friday Five!

1. Sarah says:

I feel the EXACT SAME WAY about email. Drives me crazy.

Especially because I work in a law firm and am not a lawyer. If I ask a question that has any type of legalese in the answer… please, for the love of god, write it in an email. I will not be able to regurgitate what you just said correctly. I need to copy and paste.

2. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

ugh, i am so sorry you got that nasty bug. it was brutal — rest up!

i share the hatred of speaker phone. i truly don’t get why people wants others all up in their business while they are on the phone. so annoying!

Thank you, friend. I feel like everybody has it right now and it’s just so gross. With a little one in daycare I figured it was only a matter of time anyway. (Funny how it didn’t even come from there though.)

The best is people that you hear on speakerphone in a public place. Get a bluetooth!

LOL… wet newspapers for shoes. You are the only blogger I know that can actually have me read their post more than once. Too funny. Glad you had the opportunity to spill your guts!

Ugh of the stomach bug! Never fun …

Totally agree on most of your peeves! The speakerphone one is definitely annoying, as are people who simply take a call while you are mid-conversation without checking or apologizing. It IS rude, and pretty much places you as ‘less important than … pretty much anything’.

I remember Calliou being on TV, but our boys are too old to have endured it. We had friends whose kids loved a shoe ‘Pengu’ that was boring. We had Telletubbies as well as other interesting choices for them.

I’ve ranted enough about mindless drivers in the past …

Funny – when we were pregnant (we?) there weren’t any of those special spots … just a couple of handicapped spots. It was a big deal with the pregnant spots arriving, but we already had kids. Bottom line – people who feel entitled enough to just take any open spot even if it is supposed to be reserved for someone with a need … they are self-centered jerks … 🙂

Ohhh Teletubbies. Like every kid I ever babysat for was OBSESSED with them! There is some really cute stuff on now for kids (Super Why and Peppa Pig are two of B’s favorites. I LOVE Peppa Pig). I only ever hear people complain about Caillou so it makes me wonder how many people actually watch it! I still have no idea how Betty caught wind of that show!

Those special spots are pretty great. I used the ones all the time at Babies R Us when I was pregnant and got to be so huge that I could barely waddle 10 feet without stopping to rest haha.

5. skpadilla says:

Calliou is the WORST. Truly. We watched a few shows and then made him disappear. Do you know there are Calliou dolls you can buy? Yuck. I also agree about phone calls, but mostly when they turn into voicemail. I detest checking voicemail. Please text or email me. Thank you!

Dolls!? NO! Why do those exist? That’s so lame.
      I never check my voicemail. In fact I don’t even think I have it set up correctly. Somewhere there are probably voicemails left by people years ago that I never listened to. Oops.

6. MaybeMarathoner says:

Caillou…how dare you mention that brat’s name!!!! My now 14-year old son went through a brief Caillou phase back in the day, and I’ve never recovered. Caillou needed a backhand like nobody’s business, and if I could have found his doppelgänger I would have delivered it.

They need to do a sequel to the show in which Caillou grows up and goes to prison because he was never disciplined a day in his life and thought that he was above the law.

7. Kristin says:

Oh my gosh, these are totally some of my pet peeves, too!! Ugh, drivers that DO not and WILL not pay attention to runners and cyclist (like my husband- he’s been hit almost 1000 times)!! I love the whole let me almost hit you so I can get through the stop sign before you run through it thing!! ugh! Yes, haha- I’m not a fan of speaker phone at all and I’m an email person, too!!

Ack! I can’t believe people have actually hit him! That is so awful and I’m glad everything seems to have turned out alright! One of my very good friends rides her bike everywhere and I recently had a conversation with her about how terrible drivers are to the cyclists around here. It’s just not a bike or runner friendly area. 😦

• Kristin says:

Sorry if I worded it weird- he has almost been hit a lot and grazed several times, but never actually hit!! Thank goodness!! I worry about him when he’s riding!!
        You’re so right, in our area, cars have NO tolerance for cyclist!! It’s frustrating!!

8. ambertherunner says:

Feel better soon! What a terrible way to spend Friday.
    OMG agree 100% on #2. However I contact someone, I want the response to be the same way. If I text you, text me. If I email you, email me. If I call you, then call me. Even worse if they email or text you back, then call to make sure you got/read it.
    Ugh I have so many pet peeves. One of them is personal voicemails. I have no desire to listen to voicemails from friends or family if I’m going to be calling them back anyway.

Yeah it came completely out of left field and was so lame. Really put a damper on what was supposed to be a fun family night for sure! I’m feeling better now though and hopefully this weekend will make up for it.

I actually deal with a vendor who calls me like 5 seconds after sending me an email to let me know they sent me an email. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It’s so incredibly annoying! At this point I just put them straight through to voicemail.

9. Andrea says:

Sorry to hear that you had a yucky bug this week. I’ve heard of a lot of people being sick recently. I think the long winter is finally taking its toll. One of my pet peeves is the way people act when there is free stuff. People will practically fight for things they don’t even really want or need!

OH MY GOSH I KNOW! My company puts on community events and at a lot of them we give out prizes to people for various things. The events are all completely free and yet still some people fight over or complain about a prize they receive. I can’t imagine ever complaining about something that someone gave me for free!

10. michelle k says:

bahahahha we hate Caillou too! I can’t stand ‘Choose Civility’ bumper stickers, sorry I’m not sorry Howard County.

Yuck, sorry you’re sick 😦 And I’m with you on th epet peeve about drivers who don’t pay any attention to the things around them. This drives me nuts, even as another driver. I’ve gotten almost side swiped several times by people trying to switch lanes without looking.

Wait, wait, wait, so you don’t have a secret or magic pill I can take to get skinny? Screw you Salt! Hahaha, JK. I also get frustrated with folks who don’t realize it takes a lot of work to be fit. I had a co-worker on Jenny Craig tell me, “I can’t wait till I reach my goal weight so that I can go back to eating whatever I want again.” Um, she didn’t get it.
    Luckily the household Cailou stage is over. Out of all the shows they’ve watched over the years, the only one I’ve actually enjoyed is Yo Gabba Gabba.
    My pet peeve is people wearing scrubs in public. The way I see it, they are either taking germs from the hospital to the gym/restaurant or they are taking germs from the gym/restaurant to the hospital. Gross.

13. irishrunnerchick says:

Ugh – that sounds awful. Luckily norovirus usually goes as quickly as it appears.

I second the speaker phones – and would add people who play music on their phones but don’t use their headphones. I don’t want to listen to your crappy music!

14. irenejean says:

Number 4 drives me crazy! Just today I saw a pedestrian nearly get hit by a car. A pet peeve of mine is when people talk on their cell phones while in a public bathroom.

15. Jennifer says:

Ahhhh I completely agree!! Another pet peeve is when someone continues to pile in the trash when its overflowing vs. taking it out and replacing it with a new bag #roommateproblems!

16. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Oh my gosh you poor thing. That sounds terrible. I have never had the stomach bug, knock on wood and I’m terrified to get it. So glad you are on the mend.

I HATE speaker phone! I think people who use it in public places are lazy. I also hate it when people sing along to their headphones when no one else can hear their music in public places. I’ve been taking the train a lot and finding all sorts of peeves I never knew I had!

17. Lisa @ Running out of Wine says:

One of my pet peeves is when a group of people walk like 5 across or with 3 dogs and I can’t get by them when I am running. I hate having to say “excuse me” which usually catches them off guard/scares them/annoys them or their dog wants to attack me. I hope that doesn’t make me rude or judgmental, buts its something that drives me crazy all the time, especially when the weather is nice out:)

• txa1265 says:

So wait – it was ‘awesome’ that you taught your child to insult something another child enjoys? Did you also teach him to laugh at the other kid after making him cry by insulting him? Yay for you!

• Pandora Viltis says:

And btw, that was totally tongue in cheek since you missed it the first time. This was over 15 years ago and my kid is one of the nicest kids to other people (not so much to me, but I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear that).

• txa1265 says:

Drat that internet lack of context! 😉 Apologies for thin-skinned over-reaction (me missing Barney as an old reference shows how old MY kids are as well!)! Yeah, our kids sometimes don’t display the same treatment of others internal and external … but at least that shows they consider us/home their ‘safe place’ where they can let their guard down … but sometimes it is less than fun being on the receiving end of their stressful days, mood swings or whatnot.

• Pandora Viltis says:

Thank you for this. 🙂

To be honest, teaching my son that wasn’t exactly the smartest thing, but at the time I thought it was hilarious. Until he said it to another kid.

My son is still invested in being “cool” right now, so I don’t expect him to be nice to me. He’s not cruel to me, though, so I consider that a win.

• txa1265 says:

haha – our boys are 16 and 17, so I TOTALLY get what you’re saying. And there have been a couple of things we’ve said that failed to stay ‘in the family’ – and our cute, perceptive boys have been quick to repeat 🙂

Anyway – THANKS … what started as adversarial turned out great, and I love your blog!

18. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

PAHAHA your title!! Only laughing because after reading your comment, I totally knew where that was going. NOT laughing at how horrible you must have been feeling 😦 My boss actually brought up norovirus today when I told him I had had salmonella poisoning. He said norovirus is the worst!
    1) LOL I hate when I’m on the phone with my dad and he’s on speaker phone (and I am not) and he’s yelling because he thinks it’s hard for me to hear him. I’m like, shhhhh!
    2) OMG we need to work together. I wish all my coworkers understood this. I hate when people drop by my desk (or call) for a project update. They expect me to drop what I’m doing- when an email would have sufficed.
    4) YES! Ugh this weekend I hit the crosswalk button and was waiting for my turn. My “walk” sign turned green and started counting down the seconds I had. THEN a car guns it and goes through his VERY red light. I gave them a dirty look and threw up my hands giving them a “WTF face.” The passenger acknowledged it and apologized but I was like what if I wasn’t paying attention or what if it was a little kid who didn’t know better or a blind person!!!
    So yes, in sum, I agree with all your pet peeves except for Caillou because I have no idea who he is lol.