It’s my RUN-NIVERSARY!

HAPPY HAPPY TO ME!

betty birthday cake

I figured my Betty wouldn’t mind if I borrowed this adorable picture of her looking like she’s performing witchcraft on her first birthday cake in order to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of one of the best changes I’ve ever made in my life.

Of course I can’t remember the exact date I started running because back then it wasn’t a big deal. I just happened to skip the elliptical in favor of the treadmill that day. I do know that the mile that started it all was in April of 2013 and I love celebrating things so I figure why not just have a month long celebration to make sure I have all my bases covered?

Salt’s First Year of Running: In Numbers

Count-Sesame-Street

“ONE! ONE YEAR OF RUNNING! AH-HA-HA-HA-HA”

Number of Miles:

I’m not sure because I didn’t start tracking that until I bought my Garmin in June. I can tell you that from June 15th, 2013 until the posting of this blog, I have logged 1,039 miles on the pavement, trail, and treadmill.

Number of Pairs of Shoes I’ve Run In:

Four. A pair of $25 Sauconys from DSW, 2 pairs of Brooks Adrenaline GTS13s that eventually led to an unfortunate tendon injury, and my current pair of Mizuno Waverider 17’s.

shoes

I hate to say this, but I might be back into Brooks again for my next shoes. Maybe Ghosts this time because I tried those on too and liked them. I’m not particularly fond of the toebox on the Waverider. Shoe brand indecisiveness: thy name is Salt.

Number of Races I’ve Participated In:

Fourteen. That’s five 5Ks, two 10Ks, one 7K, one 8K, one 8 miler, one 15K, an organized half marathon, and two virtual halves.

Number of Finisher’s Medals Received:

Four. One for the Back to Football 5K on September 4th, and one for all of my halves.

Number of Awards Won:

Four. 2nd overall woman in a 10K last August, 1st place AG in a 5K in December, 3rd place AG in a 5K in January, and second place in a 10K series from 2013. I’ve also won or come in second in my AG in a couple other races where awards weren’t given out for such a thing.

Fastest Mile:

6:17 at the Kelly St. Patrick’s Day 5K a couple weeks ago. My first race mile back from injury. I have no idea how the hell that happened.

Race PRs:

5K: 22:20 (Charlie’s Run 12/13…it would have been the St. Paddy’s race if the course wasn’t long)
8K: 37:04 (Zoo Zoom 11/13)
10K:
48:03 (Run for the Cure 9/13)
8 mile: 59:19 (GPS 8 Miler 1/14)
15K: 1:13:45 (White Hall 15K 3/14…insta-PR!)
Half Marathon: 1:49:03 (Baltimore Half 10/13…I was faster by about 7 minutes in my last virtual, but I’m only counting the organized races here)

Stay tuned for next month when I get my insta-Marathon PR!

Longest Run:

15 miles on February 1, 2014.

Number of Epic Wipe Outs:

Two. Once during my first attempt at running 13.1 before the Baltimore Half when I tripped on uneven pavement. At first I was sure I broke my wrist, but ended up finishing the run only covered in scrapes and bruises.

Then I was tripped up right out of the start during the Zoo Zoom 8K last November by some girl who didn’t even stop to help or apologize as I laid there on the ground. I’m not bitter. The fact that I left her in the dust after that helped me feel much better.

Number of Injuries Sustained:

ONE. Grrrrrrr.

Number of States Run In:

Two. Maryland and Florida. Soon I’ll add Pennsylvania to the list.

Number of Consecutive Days Run:

61 during my Holiday Run Streak. Please refer to “number of injuries” above. The nagging little pain that signaled the end of that streak is what eventually blew up into the tendonitis.

Number of Post-Run Starbucks Coffees Consumed:

There’s no way I could even begin to put a number on that.

Number of Dollars Spent on Various Running Items and Race Fees:

tumblr_mfrchsq7f21s06dyno1_500

Number of Damns Given About the Money Spent on Running Related Things:

ZERO.

Number of Awesome Friends Made Throughout This Journey:

I can’t put a number on that either. I have met some of the coolest people in the world at races and through writing this blog. I had always heard that runners were like a family, but I didn’t realize how true that was until I became one myself. I’m so grateful to be a part of it all!

Thank you so much to all of you for hanging out with me and here’s to many more years of running for ALL of us!

How long have you been running? Do you love this community as much as I do?

Happy Thursday, everyone!

63 thoughts on “It’s my RUN-NIVERSARY!

1. DontBlameTheKids says:

Congratulations! This is so inspiring. I have been running since June 2013, so my runniversary is coming up soon! I have my first 5k planned later this month. You have gone a lot farther than I have. Now I have something to aim for!

2. afastpacedlife says:

Happy Runniversary! You are an amazing and speedy lady. I’m so glad that I found your blog and can share in the joy of your incredible achievements and your darling daughter. I hope one day we’ll be at a same race.

I HOPE SO TOO! It would make me so happy to meet you finally. 🙂 You rock and I’m so glad to have found your blog as well.

Thank you for the wonderful compliments always. You are a such an awesome person. 🙂

3. Kristin says:

Wow, 61 days running!! That’s amazing in itself + all of your other wonderful accomplishments!! Such hard work and dedication!! This is an amazing flashback of speed, love, and awards!! You’re so awesome!!!

4. Half Mad Runner says:

Congratulations on the Runniversary! That’s awesome! The best part isn’t looking back at how far you’ve come, but at how many more wonderful miles you get to run in the future.

5. Piper's Run says:

Happy Runnibersary! Those are some AWESOME numbers! You have done so much in a year…way to go! I’ve been running on and off for 8 years…yikes! I love the blogging/running community – I’ve learned more through these blogs/runners then I have anywhere else for running! Thanks for being awesome!

Thank YOU for being awesome! Your blog has always been one of my favorites and I’m so glad to have found it! It’s so true…I’ve learned so much from my peers on here. Everyone has such valuable information to share!

6. Change of Pace says:

OK- I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I teared up a bit. Congratulations, and happy runniversary!
    I LOVE to see and hear about people falling so in love with running. You’ve had one heck of a first year!! Wishing you many, many more healthy running years!
    I’ve been running for 18 years now. I can’t imagine my life without it.

You are the sweetest EVER! ❤
      Thank you so much, friend. 18 years is so amazing and I can't wait to hopefully get to THAT milestone. I just want you to know that yours is one of my favorite blogs and you have been super inspirational to me! 🙂

7. michelle k says:

Happy Run-niversary! 6:17. . .sheesh. . . I wish! I can’t help but ask if you’ve ever tried on the Asics Gel Nimbus. I have really high arches too (didn’t you say that recently?) and the toe box is roomy. I keep trying to get into something new for a change but I can’t break away from these! They’re neutral. I know shoes are so personal, but if you’re trying on anyways. . .

I think B put me under a spell! I feel like I need to find some cake immediately!

I have never tried the Nimbus, but now I’m intrigued. I’ll add it to my list of shoes to try when I go back in. I’m actually reading up on them right now and they sound kind of wonderful! Thanks!

Every time I look at that picture, I want cake. It was ridiculously good. (She shared with me. She probably wouldn’t now.)

• michelle k says:

I’ll have to keep an eye out for what you choose. If it’s something I haven’t tried then it’ll be on my list to check out!

8. Sarah says:

THIS IS AWESOME.

I started training for my first half the day after my husband’s birthday… which is this month. Do not be surprised if I have an extremely similar post on my blog in a few weeks!!!!

9. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

LOVE it! Congrats on your 1 year anniversary! Damn you’ve accomplished so much in 1 year! You rock! My 1 year will be coming up in May! I still remember how proud I was after finishing my 5 mile run 🙂

Thank you thank you! I had no idea that you had only been running since May! You’ve accomplished so much too!

I remember that feeling also. It was on the treadmill and I managed to do it in just under 55 minutes which is pretty much my whole lunch break. I came back to work all sweaty and proud of myself. 🙂

10. irishrunnerchick says:

Happy run-niversary! You’ve had quite the year. Congrats. I started running consistently in Jan 2013 when I decided I needed to run a half marathon. And it’s been a blast! Also if you’re thinking of stepping back into Brooks check out their Pure line.

Thank you thank you! I am starting a list of shoes to try right now and will definitely take a look at the Pure line. I had a pretty good run in my Mizunos today, but I don’t know…I just liked the Brooks so much before they destroyed my feet.

I can’t believe you just started running a little before me! You are amazing!

Happy Runiversary!!!! you such a cool chick 🙂 and this is my favorite part of this whole post: Number of Damns Given About the Money Spent on Running Related Things:

ZERO.

Right on, sister – right on.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!

Happy runner-versary! I am coming up on one as well … it is silly and stupid and meaningless, but SO fun to celebrate! I love all of your look-backs!

13. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

That’s awesome! Congratulations! You have had quite the impressive first year of running! I have been running for about three years and have no where near the amount of mileage, races, or PR’s that you do. You should be so proud of all that you have accomplished!

This is awesome! Congrats on an awesome year! You’ve seriously done so much in just one year – it’s awesome! I can’t wait to keep reading about all the cool stuff you do!

And what is this about running in PA? I’m just about to leave there! We totally should have tried running a race together sometime!

Yep! My marathon is in York so I will be up there the weekend of the 25th! I’m telling you…you have to let me know if you are ever back in town and want to run a race. I’ll drive up!

Fun post! I’ve been running 20 years!!! Wow, that is a long time and makes me feel really old! You need to add Virginia and DC to that list!!