Maybe this whole marathon thing is going to happen.

I think I might be back

1939782_776951842317221_1932865413_n

12 miles on Saturday morning, and almost entirely pain free. I have a spot on my left foot where my shoe has been rubbing and that is more sore right now than my tendon. Getting back out on my neighborhood hills felt absolutely amazing and the weather was pretty perfect too…temps in the 50’s with a light drizzle that started right around my third mile. I fully expected to not be able to walk after this run and instead I felt more alive than I have in weeks.

As of tomorrow I am excited and terrified to be able to say that my marathon is “next month”. I consider this run to be the beginning of my official training. Although it’s starting a little later than I would have liked, I still have time. This week I’m hoping to get back to my usual 4 day run/2 day cross train/1 day rest schedule – already knocked out a pain-free-aside-from-my-stupid-foot-rubbing 10K this morning WOO HOO! –  and am shooting for a 15 mile long run this weekend. Then an 18 miler in two weeks and a scary, scary 20 miler two weeks after that. Had none of this happened, I wanted to get in another 20 before race day, but I’m not going to push it.

Anyway, including this 12, I logged 32 miles last week. My most since January!

On Friday I had an appointment with my PT. He was nice and I think the pulling and adjusting that he did had a pretty major impact even for the first visit. He also looked at me like I was crazy when I told him the Dr. Awful story and is certain that my tendon is in a healing stage after getting badly beaten up from wearing the wrong shoes. I also have some stiffness because I spent the past couple months overcompensating for the injury so he gave me some good exercises to do at home. He then told me that they could get me started out running “a couple miles at a time”.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up

Now I’m not one to go directly against doctor’s orders, but sure, boss. He must have conveniently forgotten I told him that had been running solid on it all week already.

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. It snowed here AGAIN yesterday ::rageface:: but from here on out it almost looks like spring might stick around. A girl can dream.

~ Salt

34 thoughts on “Maybe this whole marathon thing is going to happen.

GIRL YOU BETTER BE CAREFUL! Ps we need to talk! Send me an email, and we can either start that way or talk via the telephonio 😀 I have had so many issues, and one of the things I have to echo is the “take it one mile at a time.” I wish I could say for sure that you are BACK, but I think that we all know how quickly that can disappear, unfortunately. With PT, take. your.time. SERIOUSLY. But that said, I am so, so sososososo happy that you are feeling solid. Roll the crap out of your body, do self release, and do ankle mobility exercises until you don’t think you can do it anymore. And get your orthotics checked! Have a great day!

You rock and I will def shoot you an email. 🙂 Those exercises I was given are seriously awesome and I’ve been making sure to ice even though I didn’t feel like I needed it and have been stretching more than I ever have in my life. (I had a really great hot yoga class yesterday that helped a ton with that.) I’m back to PT to see a different therapist on Friday because the guy I saw wasn’t specifically for runners and he wanted me to see someone that is (she will watch me run on the treadmill and all that to give me a better long range plan).

That 12 was planned, but definitely a one mile at a time run and I would have pulled the plug on it if it felt off. It just never did. 🙂

I certainly will! Haha it told me to keep going so I did. 🙂 I’ve just been making more of a solid effort to take my time even if everything feels okay. (Especially on Saturday…that first mile was one of the slowest I’ve run in a reeeally long time.)

2. Susan says:

Hi, nice job on the run! I just started your blog (like today) so was wondering the history of this injury? How did it start? Did you take time off completely from running or just scale back and modify? I always wonder with tendonitis if you can heal while continuing to run a little bit (?).

Hi Susan! Everyone who has looked at it is pretty sure it started because I was in the wrong shoes. I was originally told I over-pronate and was put in a stability shoe that forced my foot to roll out and as I ran I was putting a huge amount of wear on an area that I shouldn’t have been. It became a huge problem around the beginning of February and I took a couple weeks off from running, but stuck with yoga and riding an exercise bike with my chiropractor’s blessing. I also went and got refitted for shoes and that’s when I learned I don’t over-pronate and how I ended up in my new, neutral shoes. I started gradually running again on the treadmill and as I felt better would do like a mile up and mile back from the gym to get re-accustomed to running outside.

I think without the self-imposed break it wouldn’t have gotten so much better. It would stop hurting before and then I would try a mile or so on the treadmill and it would just irritate it again. So I stuck with the bike and icing/stretching a lot, plus I kept it wrapped up most of the time too.

3. Sarah says:

Get it guuuuuuuuurl!! I am so excited for your first marathon. You are going to rock it. Just keep listening to your body and you will be good to go!!!

Thanks! I’m actually starting to get excited for it now too! I don’t know about rocking it, but at least I’m getting more optimistic that I’ll make it through. ❤

The news keeps getting better! As for the sore spot on your foot…I have found that putting body glide on my sore spots has saved me some blisters. I’ve also put Rock Tape on toes and stuff too where I could feel a blister coming on.

Oooo Rock Tape! I am getting some anyway because I know I’m going to want to tape my leg regardless of how it’s feeling so I will have to try that. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! 🙂

5. mommysrunningaround says:

Way to go on your long run!!! You are amazing!! I am super excited for your Marathon. I have never done one (I can’t believe I haven’t), and now I kind of feel like maybe I could pull off one in May, just like you. I have a 1/2 this coming weekend. What date is your Marathon, again? Do you have a goal time, or do you just want to see what you can do? I’m so glad you are feeling better and just in time to enjoy the beginning of SPRING… OUTSIDE RUNNING is the the BEST!!!

6. Abby says:

Yay for running pain-free! Hope it stays that way 🙂
    Also, I’ve only EVER ran one 20 mile training run through four Ironmans and multiple marathons. You’ll be fine with just one, or even not doing one if your body is asking for a shorter training day!

This makes me feel so much better, thank you. Going into it I’m going to hope to finish it, but if I can’t no big deal. And I am already prepared for walking on race day so if that happens it happens. I’m just excited to cross that finish line no matter how I have to get there. 🙂

7. irishrunnerchick says:

Yay! That is such great news – especially after your Dr Awful encounter last week. The first pain free run always feels amazing. And just to echo everyone else – BE CAREFUL! But I am seriously excited for you!

8. Meg says:

I’m so glad that your injury is nothing like Dr. Awful said it was. I’m so excited for you and your marathon. I’ll be rooting from here!!

Welcome back! I’m in DC, and I’m thinking spring might be here! Can’t wait to hear more of your marathon journey….you running MCM?