A diagnosis, a prognosis, a great doctor, and some terrible {non-injury} news.

Last week this happened.

The most hideous doctor appointment in the history of doctor appointments where I left with more questions about what was going on with my ankle than I had when I walked in the office. I *think* it’s supposed to be the other way around.

This week I had more doctor appointments lined up. ALL the appointments. 3 to be exact: 2 podiatrists and one with a sports medicine guy at the suggestion of an amazing runner, triathlete, and trainer named Hannah (if you are reading this HI HANNAH!) who knows my story. I ended up canceling both podiatrist appointments and keeping the one with Dr. Sports Med who I saw yesterday morning and – miracle of miracles! – I finally got some answers!

But let me start with the hilarious reaction I got when I recounted the made-for-TV-movie story that was my experience with Dr. Awful. I feel like I sound intoxicated when I try to explain that appointment, especially to people who don’t know me. First, the assistant who took my vitals looked at me like I had three heads and assured me that my experience would be different that day. Then Dr. Sports Med came in and I got a very similar reaction from him. The first thing he did was check my ankle to see if my tendon was indeed dislocating as Dr. Awful had claimed.

Yeah no. Invasive surgery may have been one of the first orders of business with that steroid-pushing psycho, but not here.

Then he gave me a very thorough check up including getting down on the floor and analyzing how I walk. Then, because I refuse to call Dr. Awful’s office back to collect the crappy X-rays he took, I was given another round of them to rule out a stress fracture. Apparently because of my size and the fact that I’m female, I am extra susceptible to those. My bones look good with nary a stress fracture to be seen.

Anyway, SURVEY SAYS:

feud3d

That’s my diagnosis. He doesn’t even want to waste time with an MRI. He’s almost 100% sure of it and my issues have decreased exponentially already. Randomly placed steroid injections wouldn’t even come up as part of the conversation at all because you don’t treat a tendon issue with steroids. Even I know that. Good to know I’m more qualified to be a podiatrist than Dr. Awful.

My prognosis is good. He knows that I’ve been running on it recently – 20 MILES THIS WEEK SO FAR OMG I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT HAPPENED – and the fact that I’m not a swollen, limping trainwreck is a good sign. He thinks I should be able to go ahead with my marathon unless something terrible happens, but let’s just not even talk about that okay?

I also learned some interesting things about my anatomy. I already knew I have exceedingly high arches because I see them all the time, but apparently the bones in my feet are super stiff which is unusual and probably due to the fact that my legs have sucked since birth. This makes me more injury prone which is annoying, but it’s good that I know this now. The next order of business is to start me on a little PT to get me marathon ready and then figure out what they can do for my feet if I want to continue running uninjured. Which obviously I do.

My first appointment is today at lunchtime and I’m a little giddy with excitement over it. I FINALLY HAVE ANSWERS and they aren’t even really terrible ones! After being told I needed surgery, tendonitis seems like a walk in the park.

I floated out of that office on a cloud finally feeling optimistic about everything again. That’s when I checked my phone and my heart plummeted out of my body and all the way to China. A very, very dear friend passed away suddenly yesterday morning. He was like the older brother I never had and I am the person I am today largely due to his influence.

You all know that I try to keep it light on here so I debated talking about it, but then this is my personal internet space and he had such an enormous impact on my life growing up that I couldn’t not mention it. So I just want to say that the world is short one very amazing person now and I will miss him terribly.

Just like so many other runners, it has been a dream of mine to eventually run the Boston marathon. Mike lived in Boston for many years. He considered it home. He loved it so much and I knew that if I ever made it into the marathon, he would be there watching me. Before I wanted to do it for me, but now I want to run Boston for Mike. One day I’m going to get there and I know he will still be there cheering me on in spirit when I do.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend full of good friends and family.

51 thoughts on “A diagnosis, a prognosis, a great doctor, and some terrible {non-injury} news.

1. emmelineruns says:

So sorry for your loss 😦 And I would say sorry for your diagnosis as well but it sounds like it’s the best possible outcome considering all the other possibilities…at least you can run! Hope you are holding up alright and that you feel healthy enough to run a few miles for Mike this weekend 🙂

Thank you so much. And I definitely feel like it was the best possible scenario besides not being injured at all. Hopefully I will be able to make it through a long run tomorrow morning. (Rain be damned.)

2. Lauren Gilfeather says:

I’m so happy for you that you have good answers, a good plan, and (finally!) a good doctor. But I’m so sorry for your loss. Hang in there. And, when you do come to run Boston, I’ll come cheer for you!

so sorry about your loss 😦 my heart aches for you. But, happy to hear about your tendonitis diagnosis (we truly are sisters in injury!!) I’m feeling better too and being methodical about running again. Have taken yoga several days this week and it already feels loads better.

We apparently have the same legs–hips and stiff bones in our feet throwing everything off. Let me know if I can help. I don’t want to talk too much about that now, though. I more concerned with you. There is nothing I can really say, but I’m am sending as much positivity your way as possible.

5. bpangie says:

Sorry ’bout your friend. But congrats on the Peroneal Tendonitis – at least in terms of it-could-be-a-hell-of-a-lot-worse. I had some of that a while back (my high arches didn’t help…) but got over it with some at home pt stuff and a change of shoes. Lots of ankle exercises. Are your feet wide? I’m fairly convinced my toe box at the time was too narrow and constricted things and made things all buggy in there… Happy weekend.

I’m hoping the at home PT stuff helps me too. I had my first appointment today and the therapist gave me some exercises to do. He seemed pretty positive about the whole thing. I have really skinny feet, but I know that I was in totally the wrong shoe before. I switched out right after I got injured and since then have been feeling loads better so I know that had a LOT to do with it. Thank you, friend!

Yes the answers were definitely good especially after that horrifying experience last week. 🙂
      And thank you so much. I really regret the fact that I hadn’t gotten a chance to talk to him in the past couple weeks. I need to remember to tell the people I love that I love them more often. He knew it, but it would have been nice to tell him more time.

6. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

Again I am so sorry for your loss. I’m really not ready to say good-bye to friends in our age bracket, and it worries me more and more having lost a few dear friends myself. I still feel like we’re all so young, when we’re really not. My heart and thoughts are with you in all of this.

I really really excited that your diagnosis from Sports Med Doc was so positive. Yay for answers!!! ox

7. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Sorry for your loss. 😦 But that’s good news about your diagnosis! I’ve had peroneal tendonitis twice (once in each foot) and, while it’s certainly painful and inconvenient, in my experience it is definitely something that you can recover from fully without surgery!! Glad to hear that you’ve been running this week without pain and I look forward to reading about suggestions your dr. might have to prevent you from getting it again.

Oooo that is a great idea for a post! Thank you. 🙂 Yeah it’s definitely inconvenient, but it could be so much worse and I’m thankful it’s not.

Thank you for the kind words as well. ❤

• Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

I forgot to add – I found that putting spenco gel heel cups in my running shoes really helped my foot/ankle feel better once I started running again. (They provided just enough lift and cushion to keep everything feeling good.) I don’t know if that’s normal for peroneal tendonitis but I thought I’d share! 🙂

8. irishrunnerchick says:

I’m sorry to hear about your friend – my thoughts are with you.

But I’m glad that you’ll be able to honor his memory by going for Boston (which I think you can totally do). And (finally) having a proper diagnosis and treatment plan can only make this happen faster. Good luck!

Thank you so much. ❤
      I don't care how long it takes me. I really want to do this in his memory. I know he would be so proud of me. 🙂 In the meantime I'm rehabbin' the heck out of myself and hopefully will be back to my old fitness soon enough.

9. shannon says:

I’m so sorry about the loss of your friend and I know you will make it to the Boston marathon one day for him. I’m glad you finally got some answers on your foot.

10. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Finally! I’m so excited for you! That’s great news! I have been keeping my fingers crossed for you. I can’t wait to hear how your healing progresses and how your marathon goes!

As for the second part of your post. I’m so sorry for your loss. No words can express how missing a loved one feels. Hugs.

Thanks! I’m so jazzed to be feeling better. I ran on it this weekend too and today it still feels amazing. 🙂

And thank you for the condolences too. It’s been a weird weekend for sure and we have the service and everything today so yeah. Not a great time.

11. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

YAYYYY!! So glad you saw a competent expert. Can’t wait for your marathon!

OMG I’m so so sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine what you’re going through right now. I’ll be thinking of you and sending you virtual hugs.

12. Pandora Viltis says:

I’m so sorry about your friend Mike. I think running Boston in his honor sounds wonderful.

I’m glad you got answers and an appropriate treatment plan! The good doctors are like gold.

They really, really are. I think going to the chiro was definitely a step in the right direction. That other guy was just the pits.

Thank you for the kind words too. ❤

13. Kerrie says:

Glad you got some answers! Dr. Awful might want to attend a training course or something! :/ It’s kind of shocking.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, hope your all okay.

It was completely shocking! I’m still shocked about how terrible he was. His office keeps calling me about orthotics and I’m not answering the phone.

And thank you. We are hanging in. It was a weird/rough weekend. :-\

14. Abby says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. You’ll get to Boston one day and run it for Mike.
    On the bright side, that’s great news about your foot, especially since you ran on it quite a bit this week!

15. Laura says:

I’m sorry for your loss – and I think running Boston is the perfect tribute, and one that will honor both of you! And I’m really glad you had a more positive doctor appointment, a diagnosis and some running! I bet that feels amazing and can’t wait for it to continue and get better!

• Laura says:

They are harder than they should be to find! A year before I was diagnosed with Celiac’s I went to the doctor and he ignored my symptoms completely and spent the 10 minutes he was with me accusing me of having an rating disorder. It took scary symptoms before I went back to the doctor for the real diagnosis!

First of all, yay to the first part of your post! But I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I just lost my grandpa a few weeks ago and I know how awful it feels. I promise it will start feeling better soon. I actually dedicated today’s half marathon to him and I totally destroyed my old time so I feel like it helped me a lot. Honestly, running and Barre3 helped me deal with the sadness so don’t feel like you need to skip workouts – they helped me work through my emotions. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you so much, friend. ❤ I just saw your post and that you ran with his name on your arm and I love that so much. What a great way to honor his memory. I definitely think keeping active has helped with my emotions as well. I have the funeral today and got out for a run this morning because I knew it would prepare me a little better for the rest of the day.