Spring is here! {And so is my 15K!}

HEY EVERYBODY!! Just before 1pm today we finally get to bid this seemingly never-ending winter farewell. IT’S SPRING! Even the forecast for the next couple days seems to be doing it right:

weather

All the better to melt whatever remains of the snow and ice on the trail and turn it into a disgusting, muddy mess for my 15K on Sunday. This was the Saltmobile on Monday morning when I went outside to leave for work.

snowcar

Naturally the Saltmobile is white. PS. Her name is Blanche.

That’s just so not right. It’s also not right that after those three, pretty, sunny, warm-ish days the temperatures are going to dip back into the 40’s for the next week. 40’s is better than teens though so I should probably shut my face.

As I said, the White Hall 15K is this weekend and to be honest, I’m totally freaking out. This is the race that was supposed to go off earlier in the month and much to my excitement was postponed because of the onslaught of bad winter weather around here. This postponement was a wonderful gift and now everything was going to be PERFECT! But no. Now there has been a lot of melting since the random-pain-in-the-ass St. Paddy’s Day storm which I’m worried could lead to twisted ankles and total new shoe ruination on a sloppy trail. Then of course I was optimistic that the extra two weeks would give me some more time to heal and obviously I did a really good job of letting myself do that by running like I stole something in my race last weekend. Resting: You’re doing it wrong.

The worst part though – besides the obvious issues I’ve been talking about ad nauseam on here so I’ll spare you any more – is that I feel woefully under-trained. I ran my longest distance since February 12 on Tuesday: 6.2 miles on the treadmill. It wasn’t terrible. I finished strong, was able to walk afterward, and the fact that I consider something like that to be a big win is pretty sad. Anyway, I’m not sure how adding an extra 5K on to it would have worked out. I guess my only option is to go into this race with zero expectations, take it easy, and don’t do anything stupid.

Actually another option would be to not do it at all, but that’s not even an option so moving right along…

It’s not all doom and gloom!

There is a silver lining that I was reminded of this by my friend Amber at PB & PRs and her recent instant-PR 10 miler. No matter how I finish, this race will be a PR because I’ve never done a 15K before. I have nothing to compare my time to. It’s also nice to know that once I’m totally healed up – because I WILL be back to 100% hopefully sooner than later – it will be easy to beat myself.

I’m choosing to be optimistic. (I’m a coffee bean not a carrot.)

Start time: 8am.
Predicted start temperature: 37 degrees.
I guess I’d better not pack those running tights into the back of my closet just yet. Ugh.

Have you ever gone into a race feeling like you were seriously lacking in the training department? Are you as excited for spring as I am!?

~ Salt

PS: The PRO Compression giveaway is happening! Enter here!

40 thoughts on “Spring is here! {And so is my 15K!}

1. helly says:

Yay for spring! I’ve done a 15k before and I like that distance. Honestly, I always have a little doubt as to how prepared I am leading up to a race–it’s something I’m trying to work on: trusting my training.

You’re going to do awesome because YOU’RE awesome!! You’re such a smart runner and I KNOW you’ll be back to 100% in no time ❤

2. michelle k says:

Haha, Saltmobile is fitting in so many ways! I have not been able to keep that stuff off my car for months (no offense.) Also, I had no idea how many times I brush up against my car until this winter. My black coat is covered in salt!

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do great!

Thank you! And I know that stuff is just everywhere and all over everything. I’m over it. I had salt all over my leggings the other day after putting Betty in the car. Ugh.

3. Running Betty says:

I’m so excited for spring! The weather is beautiful today and I’m itching to get off work to enjoy a nice afternoon run! I’ve found treadmill miles are still miles and have done just fine with races where a majority of my training runs were on a treadmill. I’m sure you’ll do great in your race! 🙂

Thank you so much! I feel the same way. A lot of my mileage over the winter was done on the treadmill because I am a big wuss and didn’t want to go outside during the polar vortex. I was still able to hold my own in my winter races though!

4. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Haha gotta love that you’ll PR automatically 😉 That’s how I felt with my first half marathon. Good luck with your race! I’d say to take it easy and be careful, but I know I’d have a hard time following that advice. I have a half mid-April and I know I am going into this one unprepared :/ I just haven’t been able to get the miles in like I would have hoped…

Thanks! I have a REALLY hard time following that advice every single time. I was supposed to take it easy last weekend too and yeah…I didn’t.

Yep that’s exactly how I feel right now. :-\ I’m sure you’re going to do great in your half though! You still have a little more time!

5. ambertherunner says:

Love that your car’s name is Blanche- it seems very fitting 🙂
    Thanks for the shout out, I’m glad I could shed some positivity on your pre-race thoughts. But I’ll still share in your frustration over the hardly melted snow. Ughhh. Hurry up and STAY Spring.
    Good luck at the race- the most important part is finishing injury free and enjoying it, just remind yourself of that as I cheer you on from afar 🙂

I’m a little weird with the car naming. 🙂
      You definitely gave me a positive outlook on it! I am so ready for it to be warm and DRY conditions out there for the both of us!

You are awesome, friend! Thank you so much!

6. Abby says:

A PR is a PR! I hope the weather is awesome and that you feel healthy when you run it!
    I think the best races are the ones you go into feel unprepared. That way you generally feel great about how they finish since expectations were low!
    Can’t wait for spring, but we got snow today and cold weather this weekend!

Thank you so much! You are absolutely right too. Can’t really disappoint myself if I’m not setting the bar very high haha. 🙂 I hope that snow and cold clears out for you guys soon. I’ve had ENOUGH!

So I totally thought you were calling your car the Saltmobile because it’s covered in road salt and I was like “Oh what a good idea” because mine is so gross and then I remembered you’re Salt 🙂 It’s been a long week! Anyways, like you said it will be a PR no matter what and it will give you motivation to do another one soon so you can crush your time! Good luck!

Haha you can totally call your car the Saltmobile too. I think it applies just as well in that situation. Thank you so much, my friend!

(And I am still geeking out over your big news!)

8. Meg says:

You’ll do great! Take it easy and take good care of yourself!

Yes, I feel completely unprepared to be running my virtual tomorrow. I’ve already set my mind to do my best and not be disappointed if I can’t run as long/much as I hope.

And heck yes! Spring needs to smile upon us!!

Definitely excited for spring, and pretty pleased with myself for taking advantage of the warm-up so far … can’t wait for even WARMER weather!

You’ll do great, just relax and enjoy the race – and be safe!

Thank you so much, friend! I’m getting a little more relaxed and excited about it as it draws closer. Which is the complete opposite of how I usually approach a race.