The nerves. I have them. {Plus the Friday Five!}

It has been such a long time since I’ve written this kind of post that I’ve pretty much forgotten how to start one. So I guess first I will show you this:

forecast

This is the Charm City forecast for Sunday. Not quite as warm as I’d like, but daytime looks pretty good if you compare it to yesterday when the high was back in the mid-20’s again! Thank goodness my race is in the afternoon and not in the evening when that snow moves in.

Yes you heard that correctly. Snow in mid-March which is a real bummer, but totally not the point. The point is…

My race.

On Sunday I HAVE A RACE.

I HAVE A RACE!!

emma

It may not sound like much, but I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited and nervous for a 5K in my life. The last time I had a race was in January and we all know what happened after that. Except maybe you don’t know…basically I hurt myself in February and have been tethered to the exercise bike and yoga mat for the past month. Not the most terrible thing, but I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that I would much rather be running than pedaling in place for an hour.

Since last Saturday I have logged 10 miles. This also may not sound like much, but I am so thankful for every single one of those miles; even the ones that hurt a little. Today I’m resting, tomorrow I’m biking, I’ll be icing, icing, icing, and Sunday at 1:15 pm I will be hopefully ready for the raucous, green-clad spectacle that is this:

shamrock20142

The Kelly St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock is the biggest St. Paddy’s race you will find around here. It takes place right in the heart of the city and usually has around 5,000 participants. Not that I’m in any kind of PR shape, but I’d still like to grab a spot as close to the front as I can to take advantage of the downhill start. Plus the faster I finish, the better the spot I’ll get in the beer line.

As for the leg problem – which is really now more of a foot/ankle problem because the calf pain has mostly subsided – who knows. Should I have run 5 miles on it on Tuesday? Probably not, but I was just so excited to get out there again that I got a little too overzealous. It bothered me enough after that run that I made another doctor appointment – this time with a podiatrist – for Monday afternoon. I did crank out 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday without too much of an issue though, so I’m thinking for short distances I’m probably okay for now.

Either way I’m going to finish this race. I’m going to wear something silly and green and I’m going to have fun with it. Because in the end that’s all that matters anyway.

As luck (HAHA SEE WHAT I DID THERE!?) would have it, the theme of the Friday Five this week is: OFF TO THE RACES!

Because I have a race this weekend, you know. So I’m feeling very well equipped and qualified to talk about races.

DC_linkup

I am linking up with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney to join in on the fun – Courtney is running in her 2nd marathon this weekend! GOOD LUCK, LADY! – and tell you My 5 Most Favoritest Things About Racing:

1) The Shirt. As excited as I get over a race tee – any race tee – you’d think they were giving it to me for free. Since my first 10K last July my collection has been steadily growing and my race shirts are some of the only ones that actually hang up in my closet rather than get folded on a shelf. I’m not even particularly picky about what they look like. Even if I only wear the shirt around my house one time I will still cherish it forever.

In my turkey trot last year I was like the 601st person to sign up and the fabulously neon pink tech shirts were limited to only the first 600 people. Even though they had more than 600 participants the previous year, but I’m not complaining or still bitter about it at all. I swear.

justin-timerlake

2) The Competition. And not even necessarily against other people, but more so against myself. I never played team sports growing up and this was not because I’m not a competitive person. I’m actually ULTRAcompetitive. Which I think factored into my decision to not try out for any teams. I was afraid of failure and at the expense of my teammates. At least part of the reason why running is such a perfect sport for me is that it’s a very personal thing. Having my best or worst race is just that…it’s for me only and doesn’t reflect on anyone else.

3) A Goal to Work Toward. I am a very goal oriented person and the feeling of accomplishment I get from tackling a race that I’ve been training hard for is just about as good as the endorphin rush. Before I ran my first half last year, I worried about what would happen once I finished climbing the mountain. The answer? Find a new mountain to climb!

4) Bling. Obviously this is not a guarantee. However, as someone who grew up never receiving recognition for any sort of athletic activity, the possibility of a medal – even just for finishing – is very enticing to me.

5) Runners Are Just Awesome People. There are few situations that I feel so confident walking into completely alone and knowing that I will make at least one friend before I leave. I have shown up at every single one of my races solo, save for one time and I never felt awkward or lonely when I got there. For the most part, runners are such a friendly, welcoming bunch, and I’m pleased and proud to be a part of it.

What are some of your favorite things about racing? Will you be racing this weekend?

I hope everyone has fun whatever their plans, and I’ll hopefully be back with a very cheerful race recap (MY FIRST SINCE JANUARY!) on Monday! Now I’m off to Target to find some cheesy green accessories for Sunday.

~ Salt

42 thoughts on “The nerves. I have them. {Plus the Friday Five!}

1. Sarah says:

I love this! I think my favorite thing about running is the community of people. Easy, hands down. There’s this unspoken bond between runners that you can’t really describe. I feel really proud to be part of that group!

2. Pandora Viltis says:

I hear ya about the potential for bling. When I got my first trophy ever for my marathon, I felt like an excited grad-schooler.

Good luck with your race! You’ll rock it, I’m sure!!

Good luck this weekend with the race and your leg/foot.

No races for me, kids have a bunch of stuff so my ‘race’ will be to get in my runs between all of the shuttling around! 🙂

I love the people as well, and also how much I always seem to learn about myself. I am really not competitive at all, it is all just for fun for me … but I love pushing myself.

Thank you so much! It’s feeling pretty good right now so I’m optimistic.
      I think I’ve learned quite a bit about myself since I started running as well. Some of it surprising! I definitely deal with certain situations differently now than I used to. 🙂
      I hope you have an excellent and fun weekend of running around!

4. Andrea says:

I love that I sometimes have the ability to run so much faster during a race than during training runs. Adrenaline and crowd support are awesome! I’m running the Heart Mini Marathon (15k) in Cincinnati this weekend. Good luck with your run – can’t wait to see pics of your outfit!

Oooo good luck this weekend to you! I hope you have an awesome race!
      I am usually faster on race day too so I’m interested to see how it pans out.

And I bought the last three green things they had at Target. Haha!

5. irishrunnerchick says:

Good luck! I’m doing a 10K tomorrow – first race since last August.

I usually run alone so I love doing races and running with actual people! I also discovered a previously unknown competitive streak and love to race.

Good luck with the race and I hope you have a ton of fun! I definitely agree that the running community, both online and in real life, has been amazing.

7. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Wooooo good luck!!! Favorite thing about racing- the medal. I’m def with you on the competition thing. I never did team sports (gymnastics and kung-fu) because the thought of letting other people down terrified me. But unlike you, I’m not fast at all haha. I just get very competitive with myself. Must. Be. Better. Than. Last. Time.

I think I gave the girl at the race a little too much ‘tude when she told me I missed out on the shirt, but seriously? You had more than 600 people sign up last year and you are still going to cut your shirt order?!

But no…not bitter. My closet is just sorely lacking in the bright pink tech tee department. But I guess that’s okay. It’s…okay….

8. Kathryn @ Dancing to Running says:

I love your list, especially about not feeling alone. Despite how I might come across on my blog, I’m very much an introvert, but its so nice to hear “Are you Kathryn?” at a race and have the opportunity to meet virtual running friends in person. I’m hoping to run into a couple of virtual friends tomorrow morning at Rock ‘n’ Roll USA.

9. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

So glad you are feeling better and can’t wait to see your outfit for the race! I agree with all your favorites and would add crossing the finish line. I love crossing that line and feeling the rush afterwards. The first five minutes after a race while I catch my breath remind me why I love running. That feeling is better than anything else.

10. Jennifer says:

You have a great list! Good luck on the Kelly 5K! It was one of my first 5Ks and the tech tee I received from that race is still one of my favorites 🙂

11. Meranda@fairytalesandfitness says:

I hope your ankle doesn’t give you too much of a problem this weekend. I’ve never heard anyone say that they want to be near the start because the earlier they finish the better chance of getting to the front of the beer line! That made me laugh. Too cute! Good luck!

12. Michelle @Baby Blues to Running Shoes says:

That looks like a really fun race! I hope your ankle cooperates for the race. I had calf pain that then moved to my foot and ankle so I understand how annoying it is! It drives me crazy! I’ve never thought about moving closer to the front to get to the post race spread quicker. Nice plan!!!

13. Femme Fitale Fit Club says:

I will be cheering folks from the sideline this weekend while training for my own run/race in April if TriColumbia gets their act together. KAIG are clients of ours – I work in health insurance. I hear they sponsor a bike race too. Good luck to you – you are gonna do just fine at the 5K.

14. missadventuresinrunning says:

I am glad things are looking up for your running! Have fun at the 5k! I am running one this weekend, too. I am a little worried I put too much pressure on myself to PR. I am trying to relax! These things should be about having fun! (P.S. I judge a race by its shirt, too.)

15. ambertherunner says:

Good luck at your 5k – thank goodness for some nice weather in the forecast! Until Monday that is (really winter?!).
    Love what you have to say about competition. In high school I used to wonder why people ran as adults if they weren’t winning races or even age groups. Then I grew up and realized it’s you against yourself 🙂 The best part is, when you have an awesome race, nobody else can take credit for it – it’s ALL YOU.