I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD!

two

Yesterday was SO MUCH FUN, but also completely and utterly exhausting. For mommy and daddy anyway. This little 2 year old was still trying every excuse in the toddler book to get out of bedtime last night.

My day started off here:

bikram

See how it’s still dark? That’s because it was 5-and-change o’clock in the morning. I hit up a 6am class so that I could hopefully be home to get things set up for the birthday girl before she woke up. And I was. Much like any other proper human being, she chose her birthday as the one day in a loooong time to sleep in. I actually had to go in and wake her up. Because…

birthdaypresents

…PRESENTS!!! My husband got the best video of her reaction to seeing that the birthday fairy had arrived. The wrapped package in the stroller contains her new doll and the ones in the crib have a feeding set for aforementioned doll and a Leaptop learning computer.

newtoys

Then it was off to a special birthday breakfast at a local diner. She brought along her new laptop because sometimes you just have work to do even if it’s your birthday.

workingbee

Please note how she dressed herself for the occasion in purple Mardi Gras beads.

We were paying for breakfast and the nice lady at the counter asked Betty if she would like a birthday cookie. I thought this sounded fine…I mean, I sure as hell wouldn’t be turning down a free cookie on my own birthday. So she took Betty to the baked goods and let her pick one out.

She returned with the mother of all birthday cookies.

birthdaycookie

That thing is literally the size of her head. Luckily my child is an anomaly and doesn’t really go insane with sweets. She had like three bites and then said “all done”. Of course I saved it for later and may have also helped myself to a little of it.

After breakfast, it was off to this cool indoor playground to burn off some energy and giant birthday cookies.

krusoe

Holy over-stimulation. One would think a kid would really need a nap after spending a couple hours in this place. After waking up so early and all this excitement, I sure needed one. So after a quick run to Target, we headed home to rest for a couple hours.

Did you know that apparently naps aren’t cool on your birthday until you’re an adult? I learned that yesterday.

No naps to be had for any Betty or mommy in the house. Instead I made lunch and we played with her new birthday toys for awhile before heading out yet again to spend the afternoon at Charm City’s awesome children’s museum, Port Discovery!

kidworks

Check out that monstrosity! We climbed up the inside of it from the ground all the way up to the third floor. It’s for kids so there were a couple times when we had to crawl through an obscenely small space and almost had a claustrophobia-induced panic attack, but Betty loved it. The museum also has lots of other fun activities, the favorite being a Waterworks room where you put on a raincoat and Crocs and basically get soaked. It is the only time in my life I will be caught dead in Crocs.

By this point we were all starving so we took her to Red Robin for dinner which is one of the three restaurants we go to where she is guaranteed to eat something. We told the waitress that it was her birthday and they clapped, sang, and brought her a giant sundae.

sundae

She didn’t need any help with this one.

Considering she never napped, I am impressed that she didn’t turn into a raving maniac at any point during the day. In fact, she didn’t even want to go to bed when we got home and still managed to wake up extra early because she wanted to play with her new doll. I passed out shortly after she did last night though so I was marginally more functional plus how can I say no to someone who greets me in the morning with “Mommy, I miss you.”

I can’t believe my little girl is 2 years old. And I can’t believe we have done all this celebrating already and we still haven’t gotten to her party yet. Her first birthday was fun, but this was just so so so much more and as exhausting as it was, I think it will stick in my mind as one of my favorite days ever.

Oh and another great thing I woke up to this morning was this email:

postpone

fun

Looks like all my eye crossing worked!! Now I have until March 23 to re-learn how to run 9 miles. 🙂

What is your favorite birthday memory? If you have kids, what age was a favorite for you?

~ Salt

PS. Hydrapak SoftFlask Giveaway is in full swing! <— Click there to enter! 🙂

35 thoughts on “The happiest, funnest, most non-stop, ice-cream filled, exhausting birthday EVER.

1. Meg says:

Oh my gosh that looks like one happy birthday girl!

We have so e exciting birthdays in my house this year! A first birthday for two bables and a big 3-oh.

Glad to hear you have more recovery time before your race!!

Thank you so much! I think she’s precious too, but then I’m a little biased. 🙂 We are definitely off to a great start! I hope it’s her best year too!

Thanks! We all had an excellent time. 🙂
      And you’re telling me! Now that they’ve postponed, I would like the weather to be 70 degrees please and thank you.

2. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

What a great birthday for B!!!! That Port Discovery is amazing I want to go there!!! I can’t wait to hear about her party too!

YAY for the race being postponed!!!

Hmm favorite birthday memory – I always remember loving Chuck E. Cheese, and God bless my parents for putting up with that. I requested that when I give birth that Mike’s push present to me be that he burns our local one to the ground 😉 haha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA best push present ever. 🙂 I don’t think I’ve ever been to a Chuck E. Cheese and I’m not sure we even have them around here anymore. Thank god because that would keep Betty from asking I guess.

Thanks, lady! It’s Kiddie Crusoe right in Lutherville. HIGHLY recommend. B loves that place. It’s especially great during the week because it’s not so crowded. Weekends are kind of a madhouse. C would really love it I bet!

3. michelle k says:

Aww, how fun! What a lucky little girl. We haven’t been to Port Discovery yet but I think it’s time. Looks awesome! My favorite thing about C’s first birthday was giving him his own smash cake and letting him pig out and make a mess. I am tempted to get him his own cake again this year.

It’s definitely more fun now that they are a little older and can run around on their own. There’s a tot room there that she still enjoyed yesterday, but when she was much smaller it was the only thing she could do. The bigger kid activities are so cool though and it was fun watching her enjoy them this time!

I think smash cakes should always be a yes!

What a wonderful day you guys had! You really never know what a toddler will do on their birthday – tank, tantrum, or terrific! You got totally lucky with this one! 🙂 Love all of the pics, and now you need a rest day from the birthday!

As for our kids, I have loads of memories from many different birthdays, from traditional ‘little kid’ parties to magic shows, parties at the karate center, to last year our older son had a movie, video games and pizza night and a few female friends popped over for a surprise visit and had cake and hung out for a bit. And of course Chris’ tea party a few weeks ago.

So what are the plans for YOUR birthday?

It’s crazy when going to work is actually relaxing! That’s how I felt yesterday!
      I can’t wait to see what future birthdays have in store for us. Having a little one really had made it all so much more fun for me.

For my birthday we are having her party so I’ll be bouncing around! And maybe having a date night if we can get a sitter. 🙂

5. stephanie says:

Happy birthday, sweet girl! Looks like you all had a great day!

My favorite birthday must have been my 15th because we went to Puerto Rico. I’m also really looking forward to my birthday this year because I’m turning 30 and will be celebrating it in Chicago.

For my kids, the first birthday was so special. I felt like we all survived that first year together where we learned how to live with each other.

Thank you so much! We really did.
      I love traveling for birthdays! I hope you have an amazing one. As someone who has been here awhile, I can attest that 30’s are the best decade yet!

I agree about the first year. It was a fun day, but also triumphant. Like…I MADE IT!