The Friday Five! {Even more about me! As if you didn’t know enough already.}

IT’S FRIDAY!!! This week has flown by as it always seems to do whenever I have something big coming up that I procrastinated on for way too long. Such as a certain birthday party next weekend. 20 kids in a room filled with bouncy houses? I can feel the headache coming on now!

Anyway, I had so much fun last week linking up with the fabulous DC Trifecta (Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney) for the Friday Five that I thought I would do it again. Today the theme is getting personal! Maybe this will lighten up the tone in here a bit after I got personal about some serious things yesterday. By the way thank you so much for reading and for the wonderfully kind and thoughtful comments you left and messages you sent. You are such a supportive bunch and I’m glad to know you.

DC_linkup

So let’s get down to it!

Photo-27

1. I wear sunglasses inside in a desperate attempt to look cool.

Just kidding.

1. My hometown.

400px-Baltimore24

I’m a Charm City gal. I wasn’t born here and I’ve lived in other cities, but Baltimore is the place I will always call home even if I move 1,000 miles away. In a lot of ways my city is totally gross – drugs, crime, REALLY BIG RATS – but in even more ways it has this certain quirky charm that I haven’t found anywhere else. Some of the coolest neighborhoods are in Baltimore, not to mention some of the best food. (I am a total crab snob…anyone who markets crab as “Maryland Crab” outside of Maryland is sitting on a throne of lies.) It’s a great place to visit as long as you know the neighborhoods to stay out of! Plus we have a couple of really boss sports teams. Which leads me to my next about me…

2. Die hard sports fan.

I LOVE my hometown teams and am getting so amped to start wearing all my orange in April when baseball starts back up again. GO O’s!

favoritegame

And even more than baseball, I am a FOOTBALL FANATIC. Besides tech shirts, the thing you will find most of hanging in my closet is Ravens football jerseys. I hope we can still be friends, Mar!

favoritepoe

That’s my best friend, Favorite, in those pictures with me. We attend lots of sport-related things together. I consider going to a football or baseball game to be one of the most fun things in the world and I’m never a fair weather fan. Even when the going gets really tough. Like watching the Orioles play for 17 years straight.

3. I have a creepy doll collection.

Okay so this one might be a little weird. I never liked dolls as a child, but in 2004 I discovered Blythe.

IMG_3574

Apologies to anyone that I may have just given nightmares. Some people are REALLY scared of my dolls.

My personal collection consists of 18 of these dolls, many of which have been modified in some way by me. (My stock dolls are the ones that were really expensive/have a high resale value.) The doll above is my most recent custom and one of my favorites. She originally had different hair, different eyes, a different mouth, etc. I don’t want to get too long winded about Blythe history, but if you want to learn more you can look at this Forbes magazine article from 2006. The quote from Lauren, the graphic designer in Santa Barbara, CA? That’s me.

Betty loves them. Thank goodness because she will be inheriting them all one day.

4. This stuff…

o-SRIRACHA-facebook

…goes on practically everything I eat. The only foods safe from it are dessert items.

I LOVE spicy food and hot sauce, especially Sriracha, and when I heard that people were declaring the Sriracha factory a “public nuisance”, I almost hopped a plane to LA in protest. They can take my rooster sauce when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

5. Tattoos.

I don’t think I’ve ever really discussed my tattoos at length on my blog, but I know they have appeared in pictures here and there.

I. LOVE. TATTOOS.  And I feel pretty fortunate to work in a field where visible tattoos are more the norm than the exception.

I got my first one when I was 20 years old and as anyone with multiple tattoos can tell you, they are somewhat of an addiction. I don’t know many people that only have 1 with no plans to get another. I have 12 and I’m not going to tell you what they all mean because we would be here all day.

I will tell you that my favorite tattoo is also my most recent. It’s the one I got for my daughter.

tattoo

(That was taken moments after it was finished, hence the redness.)

Cherry blossoms are a symbol of the beauty of life and so that was the theme that I picked for Betty’s nursery when I found out we were having a little girl. Like her mommy before her, she’s a Pisces so the water is a nod to her water sign. And then of course her birth date in the banner. Even my mother – who loathes most tattoos and certainly most of mine – really loves this one. Funny because it’s the biggest and one of the most visible I have!

So that’s my Friday Five! Big thanks to the DC Trifecta for hosting! I’m excited to look through the rest of the links and learn more about you guys too!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Unfortunately, I’m leaning more and more towards skipping my long run tomorrow and sticking to the bike instead. I still have pain in my foot at certain times and it would probably be wise to give it a little bit more rest, especially with a race next weekend. If I do make it to that race, I’m sure a 9 miler will be SUPER FUN after so few miles logged over the past few weeks! I guess we shall see.

Where is your hometown? Do you like hot sauce? Do you have any tattoos? Are my dolls going to haunt your dreams tonight? (If the answer is yes, I’M SORRY!!)

~ Salt

PS. Do you want to be a Color Runner? You can be for free! My giveaway of 2 entries to a Color Run near you (so long as it’s not sold out) is still going on. You can enter HERE!

33 thoughts on “The Friday Five! {Even more about me! As if you didn’t know enough already.}

I’m totally cringing right now… and you should see my post, talk about die hards… we are cray!! But we can still be friends (ugh, Ravens). And I need a good tattoo place!! birthday gift 🙂

Even though we root for different teams, I LOVE that you are such a huge fan like I am!! If you are ever in the Baltimore area I can rec lots of great tattoo places. 🙂 Whatever you get, make sure you post about it!

2. Kurtis says:

Gotta say I put Sriracha on just about everything I eat too. Don’t let dessert keep you from hot sauce. Check out Toad Sweat…it’s a hot sauce made just for desserts.

Okay so I’ve been reading about Toad Sweat and I’m completely intrigued. I’m going to have to find it in a store. And if I can’t find it, I’ll order it. My fro yo needs hot sauce.

3. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

YESSS! If it has to be labeled MARYLAND CRAB it’s NOT Maryland style crab! THRONE OF LIES!!!! That throne is VERY evident here in the South, I actually laugh EVERYTIME I see “Maryland Style” on anything and I refuse to order it until I’m home. Damn I miss crabs. Love hot sauce, you know I have tattoos (only three, still want more but can’t commit to a single one yet), and obviously you are to blame for my Blythe addiction so yeah, no creeps here! And lastly GO O’s !!! The one MD team we can agree on!!! ox

Living on the west coast was hard. No Maryland crab for years. Whenever I’d come home for a visit, I’d binge eat seafood the entire time. I love how much you understand me. 🙂

4. hbarnstein says:

I love my tattoo. I’ll be getting another soon, within the next few months. But my field is a lot more conservative – what field do you work in that you can show them? I’m jealous!

I am a graphic designer. I work in a corporate environment, but no one here bats an eye. (I also often look like I got dressed in the dark, but they seem to excuse that as well.)

5. Amanda H says:

I’m a Maryland girl too, although a bit closer to the DC line so I cheer for the Redskins since that’s what I grew up with. But my mom is from Baltimore county and my grandparents still lived there until a few years ago, so we can totally still be friends. Plus we share an undying love of sriracha 🙂

That’s so awesome! I have a LOT of friends that love the Redskins so that is totally fine by me. A shared love of sriracha is definitely more important than a shared love of a football team anyway. 🙂

Very nice! I’m originally from Columbus, Ohio. My teams are the Indians and Browns, so naturally I hate you. 😉 For some reason I’m also a huuuge Mavericks fan – I literally shed tears of joy when the won the championship the other year.
    I also put hot sauce on EVERYTHING, usually Tobasco, but I don’t discriminate. Have you seen pictures of the creepy doll island in Mexico? That will give you nightmares.

AH THAT DOLL!! 😀

I am a Boston boy, and lived in the area (south then west then north suburbs) for 42 years until we moved to Corning NY. Always consider Mass my home.

I love hot sauces of all types, spicy things, and so on … but no one else in my family can really tolerate them, so it is sporadic that I get anything.

No tattoos in our house at all, and part of that I think is generational. It used to be a huge thing … now it is not a big deal. I know the reality is that people still judge based on tattoos, but quite honestly that exhausts me – don’t people have anything BETTER to do than to judge based on it someone has piercings or tattoos or dyed hair or whatever?

8. Meg says:

I am from Southwest Michigan. I may never live in Michigan again but it will ALWAYS be my home state. I ❤ The Mitten!

I sort of like hot sauce. I tried the Sriracha chicken sub at Subway once. It was good, but it was HOT.

I do have a few tattoos. You already know this, but I (sort of) recently went to get one covered and was told I needed to wait… Looking forward to being able to have it done! Do you find them addictive? I sort of do.

Those dolls…

Oh and speaking of not being a fair weather fan – I'm a Cubs fan. Always have been; always will be. Maybe bringing the mascot to Wrigley will break the "curse"!

I love your tattoo! I have one but I’m thinking about getting a second soon. And I’m not originally from DC but I’ve been here more than 15 years now and consider the area my home 🙂

10. Pandora Viltis says:

I have a filmmaker friend who did a whole series of shorts about his creepy doll… until his wife made him stop.

Philly is a town I feel like is home even though I’m not from there and no longer live there. I’ve only been to Baltimore for an afternoon years ago. I fly through there a lot though. I really should check it out sometime.

11. Lindsey says:

Haha, one time my mom and I accidentally put in way too much S sauce in this meal we were making (I somehow read 1/4 cup and it was like a couple of tbsp…oops) and we were pretty much breathing fire haha! Love that stuff though!

12. Laura says:

I love your tattoo – I actually have an appointment to get my first today, but I’ve been going back and forth on whether or not to go through with it! I need some of your sage and helpful advice! 🙂

13. Lindsay says:

I love hot sauce, but I’m kind of totally a baby about it! Like, I love wings, but they have to be mild, and I need ranch (NOT blue cheese – yuck!) to cut the hotness! Two tattoos, and plans for a third one after I’m done half marathons/tris this Spring/Summer 🙂 and then I’m done… maybe 😉