The plot thickens…and new kicks!

You guys are probably just about as sick of me talking about my injury as I am of having it. BUT guess what?! I learned something new on Friday that could explain a lot about why this happened to me in the first place and also that made me look pretty stupid at the running store.

According to a doctor and the first guy who did a gait analysis on me last summer I am a severe over-pronator. This was confirmed – or so I thought – by the way every pair of shoes I’ve ever owned would wear on the inside edge and the way my feet would blister when I ran in my old Sauconys. I took this knowledge with me when I visited my most favorite store, Charm City Run, on Friday for a little retail therapy. My birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and as I mentioned in my Friday Five, I really, really wanted to try on a pair of Mizunos.

I told the super friendly salesperson what I knew about my feet and she watched me do some hobble-walking around the store to get an idea of the best shoes to pull for me. Then she told me something that I was totally not expecting to hear…

I don’t over-pronate.

Wait. What?

At least not as much as I thought I did and definitely not enough to warrant being in a shoe that supports that. Which the Brooks GTS13 is. I pretty much had to pick my jaw up off the floor. This would be the part of the story where I started feeling like a total bonehead. I’m even a little embarrassed to admit on here how dead wrong I was about the feet that are attached to my own damn legs, although I guess it’s not exactly my fault. I was just going off what I was told.

So basically it’s amazing that the issue I’m currently experiencing with my ankle and calf didn’t happen sooner because the shoes I’ve been running hundreds upon hundreds of miles in were actually over-correcting my feet; unnecessarily forcing them to roll out and putting a bunch of undue stress right on the areas where I’m in pain now.

I put on a pair of Waverider 17s and it was like a Cinderella moment without a bunch of singing mice. I never considered my Brooks to be heavy until just then. There is an area of support in the shoe that sits directly under where the pain had originated in my foot. These were exactly what I needed and it was the probably one of the easiest purchase decisions I’ve ever made.

mizuno

I am not one to wear running shoes when I’m not out for a run, but I rocked my Mizunos all weekend, trying to get them broken in a bit before I take them on their maiden voyage, which could be as early as today. I’ve got another appointment with Dr. D this morning and I’ll have to see what he thinks. I’m feeling pretty good pain-wise and even got a brisk walk in with my Betty yesterday because running or not, I was not going to let 60 degrees go to waste.

photo

My Garmin has missed me so much I figured I’d wear it just for funs.

Today I’m super excited and also a little nervous because I’m being interviewed for a cool podcast tonight! The Lifestyle Accountability Show talks with bloggers about a variety of different health and fitness related topics and they have already featured a couple of my favorite bloggers! (Jenna! Lindsay!) I’m so honored that they want to talk to me too! I hope I’m not too awkward. I should probably not drink too much wine beforehand.

Also You have a little more time to enter SPIbelt giveaway! You can do that here and stay tuned for tomorrow when I am going to hook someone up with Color Run entries! I figure giving away a bunch of cool stuff should offset all the whining about my leg.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering (because obviously you all are) the great turkey bacon shortage continues. Yesterday following my yoga class I asked about a sandwich at my favorite Starbucks and was told they had them! YAY!! So I get one and a coffee, head out to the car, open it up and…

Not a turkey bacon sandwich. It was ham. I hate ham.

I took it back inside and the girl working there starts insisting that it is in fact turkey bacon and maybe they redesigned the sandwich and I’m an idiot that needs to stop wasting her time (okay maybe not that last part, but her tone suggested it). So I took it because I didn’t want to make a scene and as I was driving away I started eating it. IT WAS FREAKING HAM and I am WAY too trusting. Way to ruin my breakfast, rude Starbucks girl.

I hope you all had a great weekend!

What did you have for breakfast today? Was it a turkey bacon sandwich? Because if so I’m jealous of you.

~ Salt

41 thoughts on “The plot thickens…and new kicks!

1. Kristin says:

Mizunos are the best. They are the only running shoes I will ever wear and I definitely believe that your injury could have been prompted by the wrong running shoes. Hopefully the Mizunos will be the magic trick!! I love your Garmin, too!! That’s the same watch I have but mine in pink! 😉 Have a great day!

2. Laura says:

I ran for years thinking I had a supination problem and founds out that I really didn’t and needed a neutral shoe! I wonder if we correct our own problems or are the victims of bad sales-person-ship? 🙂

3. Meg says:

I’m glad you love your new shoes and that you are finally in the right pair! No more injuries! Still surprised you didn’t get the purple ones. I really wanted the neon yellow ones they showed me in the catalogue … But those are not available until March 5th or something. Oh well, maybe for the next pair!

• Meg says:

Ahh yes… that makes sense! I love the teal on the grey ones, but I don’t dig grey shoes. They only had the white and purple in store so that’s what I went with. I just wanted them immediately so I could get out and get running. (Don’t tell anyone… when I want to do something, I want to do it right now! I sometimes get excited and lack patience.)

4. bpangie says:

Congrats on the new shoes. Before I went minimalist and found Skora, I loved my Wave Ronins, then Mizuno went and buggered up the toe box in the Wave Ronin 3 and things were just never the same… Totally jealous of that weather though… Supposed to be a high of 25 today. Done with the Polar Vortex crap.

If I see her again (which I suspect I will because I live in Starbucks), I am going to be hard pressed to be friendly to her. She was acting like I had a huge problem when in reality I know my breakfast sandwiches better than she does. Which is pretty pathetic, but whatever.

5. Pandora Viltis says:

I had a similar running shoe experience where the gait analysis said I needed a stability shoe, but when I ran in them I got terrible shin and calf pains. I switched to neutral, zero drop shoes, and all the problems went away. Over correcting from your natural stride can be dangerous.

I tried a pair of Mizuno evos and they didn’t work for me 😦 maybe I should try another style since so many runners swear by Mizunos, but I am a huge Newton fan. Their distance Elites are my favorite shoe.

I’m just glad I got it figured out before I did any more damage. Or tried to run my marathon in the wrong shoes! I’ve heard really great things about Newton too. Maybe I will have to try on a pair of those one day. 🙂

6. Elle says:

A few years ago a study came out finding that shoes that correct for overpronation are more likely to cause injuries to runners (even to runners who overpronate), so I’m not all that surprised by your personal experience. The most important thing in buying running shoes is to buy shoes that are comfortable.

7. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

Rudeness of customer service chicks!!! She’s lucky you didn’t pitch a fit – I hate that it takes a fit to be pitched to get what we want these days. I always feel like when I”m nice and calm and understanding I get zilch then someone comes in behind me and acts like a royal B and gets whatever they want!! So glad you discovered the root of your injury, and that it’s getting better. HURRAY for new kicks AND birthdays!!! AND NICE WEATHER it was glorious here this past weekend too!

8. Nikki says:

Those Riders are my absolute favourite ones, ever. Love the colours so much. I wore all kinds of shoes until my physio suggested Mizunos for me and I have never worn anything else since. I kind of believe that your shoes pick you, once you find the ones that work best. Hopefully these guys do the trick! It’s pretty amazing once you find the perfect shoe. Good luck!

I love them too! As soon as she brought them out I was ooh’ing and aah’ing all over them. So far so good with them. We went on our first run together today and it went about as well as can be expected under the circumstances!

I have enjoyed the ‘turkey bacon saga’ on Facebook. Not anything I eat (our only Starbucks locally is in a Target), but it is just crazy – and that employee is infuriating! That level of arrogant non-service annoys the crap out of me.

But as I worked retail in high school back 35 years ago … I am NOT going to say ‘it was different in my day’, because it wasn’t – there just weren’t cell phones 🙂

And I think this is all very interesting with the shoes and your pronation … hmmm like you say, the plot thickens!

I worked retail in high school too and if someone had talked to a customer like that at any of the places where I worked, they would have gotten written up for sure!

I RAN TODAY!! In my new shoes!! And it went okay! I guess the real test will be how I feel tomorrow but for right now, everything is pretty cool! I’ll be back at it in no time. (fingers crossed)

10. Lindsay says:

Ahhh thanks for the tag!! They were SO nice on the podcast and I had a lot of fun doing it! 🙂 I can’t wait to listen to yours!! I am dying over your Starbucks story! I may treat myself to a coffee tomorrow on the way to work. Hoping for good news so you can run again!!!

Thanks lady! I am so nervous about it! I feel like I’m going to sound like a buffoon. Your interview was so good!

And I totally think you should treat yourself! You deserve it!

LOL, you crack me up!! I love ham but I would be pretty preturbed that my turkey bacon sandwich was NOT that and that the girl was rude. I haven’t tried Mizunos but I’m with you on the you’re probably sick of me talking about my injury as much as I am having it routine. HA! Oh and my birthday is in 2 weeks as well. We’re like wonder twins 🙂

12. Lindsey says:

I just had my first Charm City Run store experience (I had my first race with them over the summer and it was great!) and I loved it! They were super nice and patient with me even when I had some dumb moments. Love your new shoes! 🙂

First of all, that is crazy that you were mis-diagnosed as an over pronator! I also was told I over pronate and since I think I’m due for some new shoes soon I’m going to head over to Road Runner Shoes where they do like 3 tests to check exactly what your feet need. I haven’t had any crazy pain yet but I’ve been reading so many stories like yours and I might not trust the guy at Philly Runner who checked me 5 minutes before the store closed 🙂 But yay for Mizunos! I have the Wave Inspire 8s and they’re so comfy and I never get blisters! I also didn’t have to break them in at all, they were perfect right from the start! I hope you get to wear your new shoes soon!

Thanks! I actually got to wear them yesterday! And maybe even again today! (It’s hard to tell how my ankle feels right now because I’m sitting cross legged in my chair). I think everyone should get rechecked from time to time. You never know what might change!